AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest claudefrog
1. This is an AOSP ROM, the HSPDA icon is part of HTC's Sense UI

1. This is an AOSP ROM, the Twitter & mail widget is part of HTC's Sense UI

3. This freeze hasn't happened on my phone and no one else has reported it. What apps do you have installed? What were you doing at the time? DId you wipe before flashing?

I never said it was missing the widgets, I simply said I would like to have them as I use them.

Guest Vido.Ardes
I never said it was missing the widgets, I simply said I would like to have them as I use them.

I know, but the widgets are part of the HTC's Sense UI. The whole point of an AOSP ROM is to strip it back to basic Google code, which doesn't include any HTC code. The widgets rely on HTC's sense UI framework and cannot be run on an AOSP ROM

Guest vorcigernix
Least I can do. Haven't tried the kitchen but r4 seams to work a charm! I can't wait till we can get hold of a working launcher2 though :)

man..this is a hard thing..whole code and resources are made for nexus, which have different resolution (something like 1.66x1.5 size of hero display)

Guest stevenz

I baked a ROM with everything disabled except Calculator, Live wallpapers, Googlebits and Googlemaps. Did a wipe & flash and it got as far as trying to start the setup wizard and "googleapps" and the setup wizard itself just went into a force-close loop, the android-system would reboot after a while and process repeats. Same error as matokt gets by the sound of it.

Trying another variant without the google apps to see if it makes any difference.

Error on flash:

E:Can't chown/mod /data/app (No such file or directory)

E:Failure at line 258: set_perm 1000 1000 0771 DATA:app

Installation aborted.

Presumably this happened the first time and I didn't notice. Looks fairly fatal.

Checked in adb, /data/ is mounted but there's no app folder in there. I created one manually and re-ran the script and it completed ok.

Edited by stevenz

first of all, Great ROM!

I'm having one issue, wifi... When wifi is switched on for a longer period of time the phone reboots....

Everything else is fine.. (using r3)

any suggestions?

I would try r4, since I think that's when I reverted the init.rc change. Also, if it's working in Kagudroid we can get it working here. That's the best thing to do, is see where it is workign so I can try and figure out what the differences are.

I'll try r4 today. But according to your changelog not much changed there. :) Going to download and try and will let you know.

As for working bluetooth with kagudroid, it was 1.0beta, that's Android 2.0, AFAIK. Nowadays kagudroid built on 2.1 and at least 1.1.1 version does not work either!

One more thing, I noticed for two days using r3 is that GPS does not work. With stock HTC ROM or with modaco 3.1 ROM GPS was working great. Programs with which I test GPS are:

GPS status, My Tracks, RMaps etc...When I run GPS Status, the indicator shows the search state all the time, sometimes there appear some satellites and disappears quickly.

I've been testing GPS on different locations with the same result.

Again, thank you for your hard work!

Guest braundp
Great work, thanks!

Does the script mean I don't have to wipe the phone before updating?

I'll make a nandroid backup just in case.

Also, I'd like to comment on the battery life.

It seems I only get around 8 hours out of my Hero, although there aren't

any processes hogging it, since I have over 100 MB of RAM free.

Would this be an issue with mobile network being always on, or something?

The update script wipes your cache automatically and there should be no reason to wipe data. What the script means is that you don't need to re-flash google-bits after flashing an update.

RAM has nothing to do with battery. It's what the applications do. I suggest downloading something like Process Manager to see what is using your CPU. There is also an issue on some of our builds, due to HTC's kernel (which we cannot alter) that causes the cpu to not scale down properly in some cases. This would exist on any 2.x ROM running that kernel, and my experience supports that. 8 hours is incredibly low. Use the Settings -> About -> Battery Usage to get more information about what is going on.

Is mobile data in this build always on?

I no longer have the option to toggle 'Always on mobile data'. Whenever my WiFi drops out, my mobile data connection turns on. I haven't figured out how to stop it. I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I need some control over this.

The option was previously (1.5 and MCR 3.1) under Wireless & network settings > Mobile network > Always on mobile data. The only options listed there now are Data roaming, Access Point Names, Use only 2G networks and Network Operators.

Under Accounts and sync settings, I have unchecked 'Background data'.

Under Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy, I have selected 'Never'.

Is there something I am missing? How do ensure that my mobile data connection only turns on when I allow it?

Thanks for all the work thus far and any assistance on this!

Under Settings -> 'Language & keyboard Settings' do people get 2 entries for 'Android keyboard' setting options ? Bug ?

And yes, i seem to be draining battery juice like crazy with this ROM - and with no extra bits running more than was in my MCR 3.1 rom. Maybe the CPU is stuck of full speed permanently ?

Edited by daveba

Guest braundp
Under Settings -> 'Language & keyboard Settings' do people get 2 entries for 'Android keyboard' setting options ? Bug ?

I have two 'Android keyboard' entries there too. And they are different - one with 'Voice input', the other without.

I also have two Keyboard entries, and my Battery also drains and the Mobile Data Connection is also on the whole time. I disabled it atm by changing the APN

Guest jnwhiteh
first of all, Great ROM!

I'm having one issue, wifi... When wifi is switched on for a longer period of time the phone reboots....

Everything else is fine.. (using r3)

any suggestions?

No idea, I have wifi on 24/7 on my device and see no such reboots. You should be using r4 and 1.7, please test those.

I'll try r4 today. But according to your changelog not much changed there. :) Going to download and try and will let you know.

As for working bluetooth with kagudroid, it was 1.0beta, that's Android 2.0, AFAIK. Nowadays kagudroid built on 2.1 and at least 1.1.1 version does not work either!

Kagudroid has and almost always will be based on this ROM. They're 100% the same, with very minor modifications that are superficial, so that doesn't surprise me.

One more thing, I noticed for two days using r3 is that GPS does not work. With stock HTC ROM or with modaco 3.1 ROM GPS was working great. Programs with which I test GPS are:

GPS status, My Tracks, RMaps etc...When I run GPS Status, the indicator shows the search state all the time, sometimes there appear some satellites and disappears quickly.

I've been testing GPS on different locations with the same result.

GPS works 100% for me, and I can even get locks inside. This has been working since long before 2.1 and I dont' see it having stopped at all. Not sure..

Is mobile data in this build always on?

I no longer have the option to toggle 'Always on mobile data'. Whenever my WiFi drops out, my mobile data connection turns on. I haven't figured out how to stop it. I don't have an unlimited data plan, so I need some control over this.

The option was previously (1.5 and MCR 3.1) under Wireless & network settings > Mobile network > Always on mobile data. The only options listed there now are Data roaming, Access Point Names, Use only 2G networks and Network Operators.

Under Accounts and sync settings, I have unchecked 'Background data'.

Under Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy, I have selected 'Never'.

Is there something I am missing? How do ensure that my mobile data connection only turns on when I allow it?

Thanks for all the work thus far and any assistance on this!

No, AOSP does not allow it. No AOSP build has that option. It's an HTC specific option (in their Sense UI builds) and it's rather difficult to add something like that into AOSP, although I continue to work towards it. If that's an option you need, then you probably need to use a Sense UI build of 2.1 until we can figure something out.

And yes, i seem to be draining battery juice like crazy with this ROM - and with no extra bits running more than was in my MCR 3.1 rom. Maybe the CPU is stuck of full speed permanently ?

Yes, one keyboard has voice input, the other doesn't. Choose one, and ignore the other. As for battery, yes, there appears to be an issue using HTC's stock 2.6.29 kernel, but we don't really have a choice in that regard. The 2.6.27 kernel breaks a few things if we use it with Eclair. You would find the same issue with any 2.x ROM that uses the same kernel (and indeed my experience matches this).

I also have two Keyboard entries, and my Battery also drains and the Mobile Data Connection is also on the whole time. I disabled it atm by changing the APN

None of these are bugs, other than battery, which is an issue I can't readily resolve. The same issue would exist in any 2.x ROM using this kernel.

Ok... i can't send SMS ?

Anyone have this problem? :-o

No, could you be more specific?

Guest gogicar

Ok i try my Sim card in other phone ... and guess =) what ... SMS CARRIER CENTER NUMBER deleted somehow ... i don't know how ...

but ...

it's working now :) tnx anyway

GPS works 100% for me, and I can even get locks inside. This has been working since long before 2.1 and I dont' see it having stopped at all. Not sure..

I think, I've got a problem with my phone's GPS, or something weird is happening there. GPS works as should on other phone with r4 and it didn't make

the change for my phone.

I'll try my modaco 3.1 backup or stock HTC backup and will come back with results.

Don't get me wrong, but is there any news for bluetooth? If you need logcat just tell me I'll provide one. Today, we have tested two Hero's with r4 on both of them

and bluetooth file transfer failed, it just can't connect. :)

Guest jnwhiteh
I think, I've got a problem with my phone's GPS, or something weird is happening there. GPS works as should on other phone with r4 and it didn't make

the change for my phone.

I'll try my modaco 3.1 backup or stock HTC backup and will come back with results.

Don't get me wrong, but is there any news for bluetooth? If you need logcat just tell me I'll provide one. Today, we have tested two Hero's with r4 on both of them

and bluetooth file transfer failed, it just can't connect. :)

Once I know what's wrong, I can try and fix it. Unfortunately, finding time to find out what is wrong is very difficult right now. This is a very busy week for me.

Once I know what's wrong, I can try and fix it. Unfortunately, finding time to find out what is wrong is very difficult right now. This is a very busy week for me.

As for GPS, I've restored my nandroid backup with modaco 3.1 and run few tests. GPS works great. No idea why it does not work with r4. :)

Will go back to r4 again, but doubt if things will change, though, I'm not familiar how things are work with Hero and its firmware.

I think when I flash r4 it does not left any bits of previous ROM, right?

No idea, I have wifi on 24/7 on my device and see no such reboots. You should be using r4 and 1.7, please test those.

Kagudroid has and almost always will be based on this ROM. They're 100% the same, with very minor modifications that are superficial, so that doesn't surprise me.

No, AOSP does not allow it. No AOSP build has that option. It's an HTC specific option (in their Sense UI builds) and it's rather difficult to add something like that into AOSP, although I continue to work towards it. If that's an option you need, then you probably need to use a Sense UI build of 2.1 until we can figure something out.

Yes, one keyboard has voice input, the other doesn't. Choose one, and ignore the other. As for battery, yes, there appears to be an issue using HTC's stock 2.6.29 kernel, but we don't really have a choice in that regard. The 2.6.27 kernel breaks a few things if we use it with Eclair. You would find the same issue with any 2.x ROM that uses the same kernel (and indeed my experience matches this).

None of these are bugs, other than battery, which is an issue I can't readily resolve. The same issue would exist in any 2.x ROM using this kernel.

I'm using APNDroid from Market for the Mobile Network Connection Problem. It comes with an widget to disable Mobile Netwerk on the fly...

Guest jnwhiteh
As for GPS, I've restored my nandroid backup with modaco 3.1 and run few tests. GPS works great. No idea why it does not work with r4. :)

Will go back to r4 again, but doubt if things will change, though, I'm not familiar how things are work with Hero and its firmware.

I think when I flash r4 it does not left any bits of previous ROM, right?

It formats /system and /cache, but /data is left there unless you wipe (which you should, moving from 1.5 to 2.1)

I'm using APNDroid from Market for the Mobile Network Connection Problem. It comes with an widget to disable Mobile Netwerk on the fly...

Yes, but it does this by a hack that changes the type of each APN, rather than using the radio disable like the HTC version. They're completely different, even if they accomplish the same thing.

Guest Carl_Brummy

I downloaded the rom (using the kitchen) and did a nandroid backup, then a wipe, and installed the r4 release. The phone boots but all I get is a white bar at the top, and non-stop force closes, one after the other, gapps and setup. As soon as you close one, the other pops up and you are almost unable to do anything, I eventually managed to get the phone to shut down.

Any ideas on what to do here? I am keen to try this out, but not sure if the issue is the online kitchen or not.

Thanks,

Carl.

Guest vorcigernix
I downloaded the rom (using the kitchen) and did a nandroid backup, then a wipe, and installed the r4 release. The phone boots but all I get is a white bar at the top, and non-stop force closes, one after the other, gapps and setup. As soon as you close one, the other pops up and you are almost unable to do anything, I eventually managed to get the phone to shut down.

Any ideas on what to do here? I am keen to try this out, but not sure if the issue is the online kitchen or not.

Thanks,

Carl.

nandroid restore :)

If you don't want to cook, download just zip files.

Thanks,

Carl.

Again, let me know which options you included / excluded and ensure the non-kitchen version works for you!

P

Guest linusmasser
Again, let me know which options you included / excluded and ensure the non-kitchen version works for you!

P

Hi Paul,

I've tested this ROM from the kitchen with every option ticked. Could not make it work, FC-loop. Downloaded ROM + googlebits and flashed, that worked just fine.

Thank you both (Paul & jnwhiteh) for your excellent work!

/Linus