AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest Oletros

Yesterday I installed R4 and I have a problem, superuser doesn't work, I have tried Titanium backup, MarketEnabler and "su" command in terminal emulator but superuser screen doesn't pops up.

Well, not for me. I switched several times between Google maps and locale and i always have a no-go on Maps and a go on locale... i will push an older google maps version now and see what happens.

I flashed Google Maps 3.1.2 and had no difference.

After that i Nandroid-Restored to the fresh install of this rom to see if i can reproduce the fail of locale like pillock postet in Post #97.

I installed locale and it says that i´m in a city about 350 km away from where i am. Never ever had a wrong position like this before.

Google Maps is still not able to get a location.

Edited by Maik_B

Guest jnwhiteh
Could you please upload this working NetworkLocation.apk somewhere ?

I can't find any NetworkLocation.apk in this zip file ; furthermore, I found one in googlebits-hero-signed.zip.

PS : Does it make any difference, for an apk file, to "adb push" it, or to install it from the SD Card ?

You can download that version here, and yes it makes a difference. You likely won't be able to 'install' it from the SD Card. It needs to be pushed to /system/app.

Yesterday I installed R4 and I have a problem, superuser doesn't work, I have tried Titanium backup, MarketEnabler and "su" command in terminal emulator but superuser screen doesn't pops up.

I don't seem to have any issues with it at all, can anyone else confirm?

Guest jnwhiteh

After that i Nandroid-Restored to the fresh install of this rom to see if i can reproduce the fail of locale like pillock postet in Post #97.

I installed locale and it says that i´m in a city about 350 km away from where i am. Never ever had a wrong position like this before.

@Leinad: you can find the rom with this apk here

http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528

Not really sure what to tell you. You're the only person who seems to be having this particular issue but I'll try to see what I can find out (tho there's no place to look, really). I promise you that if one application can get the information then another application can as well. From what I understand of Locale, it actually opens your wifi quickly in order to check.. but I may be wrong. It wouldn't associate.. just power it on and scan.

You can download that version here, and yes it makes a difference. You likely won't be able to 'install' it from the SD Card. It needs to be pushed to /system/app.

Сan you make  new firmware, with this???

Guest jnwhiteh
Сan you make  new firmware, with this???

It's not firmware.. I'm only being pedantic because firmware means something fairly specific here =). And no, this is a 'google application' and thus will not be included in the main ROM. I'm sure the google-bits will be updated at some point, although I understand there are some things that need to be added there, like voice search.

It's not firmware.. I'm only being pedantic because firmware means something fairly specific here =). And no, this is a 'google application' and thus will not be included in the main ROM. I'm sure the google-bits will be updated at some point, although I understand there are some things that need to be added there, like voice search.

Has understood, thanks! We will wait for updating 'google bits'

Guest Vido.Ardes

I have just tried pushing that APK, and I have the same problem. Local puts my location smack bang in the middle of parliment square in London (and I am about 50 miles outside of outer London) and Google maps just say cannot determine location.

I am not in range of a WiFi network so it can't be that locale is using that

Just out of curiosity Malik, what network are you on and what radio are you using?

Edited by Vido.Ardes

I don't seem to have any issues with it at all, can anyone else confirm?

Thank you for the link.

One thing I still do not understand : Pillock explained

As with a few other people, NetworkLocation wasn't working at all. Locale even said it was 'unavailable' instead of just failing to get a fix. I was convinced that I'd had it working on a previous Eclair ROM so I extracted NetworkLocation.apk from one of the first ones I tried - aosp_community_hero-jnwhiteh-r4.

Why is he speaking of NetworkLocation working on a "previous Eclair ROM", and also "one of the first ones I tried - aosp_community_hero-jnwhiteh-r4", since we are actually dealing with this aosp_community_hero-jnwhiteh-r4, on which NetworkLocation is obviously not working for him ?

And even more, just as Maik_B, NetworkLocation is not working at all for me, neither on GoogleMaps nor on GenieWeather ... I just "adb pushed" the apk file you uploaded, rebooted my Hero, but still not working at all :-(

Guest surfsmurf

This ROM rocks! No issues here besides what's mentioned in the first post.

Well, for some reason I can't mount the SD card through the Hero's USB connection on my Windows 7 laptop at home, while it works with MCR 3.1. I'm pretty sure it's my laptop's fault though, as it all works on my Windows 7 work machine... Still investigating. :)

Guest isMaskin

Did some more testing:

My sleep mode battery test failed becuase i had to pull the battery to get my phone going again :/

Superuser works fine here.

Seems like something is fishy with spotify. I streamed radio over 3g with no hickups while using other applications. When spotify is running it just does not get enough cpu time while you are using other applications.

Guest tkeunebr

Best Rom ever ! It's fo fast. I've had no problems. The only thing that's missing is the "facebook contacts" with their picture and stuff. Is there any way to get this ?

Anyway, thanks for the amazing work.

Best Rom ever ! It's fo fast. I've had no problems. The only thing that's missing is the "facebook contacts" with their picture and stuff. Is there any way to get this ?

try this

http://heartofangel.com/google-contact-sync/

it syncs facebook contacts and pics to google contacts, from windows though not the phone.

but then when your phone syncs with google it is all there :)

...And even more, just as Maik_B, NetworkLocation is not working at all for me, neither on GoogleMaps nor on GenieWeather ... I just "adb pushed" the apk file you uploaded, rebooted my Hero, but still not working at all :-(

Yeah, i know it doesn´t work (for the app locale for some reason it does, but for aloqa, google places, maps... not) . I thought, because he was talking about "taken from" and"previous" and "r4", he meant the aosp21_eugene_manup_jnwhiteh_r4.zip.

Perhaps the reason for network-location by cell not working is somewhere else? APN-Settings? language?

Edited by Maik_B

Guest nuumuun

i get force closes from the system if i push this to /system/app

do i need to reboot for it to work properly?

Edited by nuumuun

If you are using windows, copy the file NetworkLocation.apk in same directory as 'adb'

then

adb remount

adb push NetworkLocation.apk /system/app

adb reboot

Guest nuumuun
If you are using windows, copy the file NetworkLocation.apk in same directory as 'adb'

then

adb remount

adb push NetworkLocation.apk /system/app

adb reboot

i did all that ... except i used "adb shell reboot" :)

no force closes after reboot but still no lock via network (i'm on 3 in austria)

Guest jnwhiteh
Are the Google bits for your rom the same as the ones Lox gives with his KaguDroid? Otherwise we could maybe use those.

No, they are not. Eventually we'll converge.. but you're welcome to try his.. I've just found they don't all work for me. Incidentally, teh NetworkLocation.apk is one of the ones in his that doesn't work for me.

Thank you for the link.

One thing I still do not understand : Pillock explained

Why is he speaking of NetworkLocation working on a "previous Eclair ROM", and also "one of the first ones I tried - aosp_community_hero-jnwhiteh-r4", since we are actually dealing with this aosp_community_hero-jnwhiteh-r4, on which NetworkLocation is obviously not working for him ?

And even more, just as Maik_B, NetworkLocation is not working at all for me, neither on GoogleMaps nor on GenieWeather ... I just "adb pushed" the apk file you uploaded, rebooted my Hero, but still not working at all :-(

He was referring to my aosp-2.0.1. rom.. just at typo.

Still looking into whether its an issue with the facebook app, or the sync framework.

Please don't just say you 'get force closes'. What force closes. When. Yes, you should always try rebooting.

Guest jnwhiteh
i first had recovery 1.4 installed then flashed 1.52 now when i flashed this rom it went back to 1.4! how come?

It wasn't this ROMs fault, I'm almost certain. The only way you'd go back to 1.4 is if you did a nandroid restore.. which DOES flash your recovery image. There is no recovery image included in this ROM, let alone a custom one.