AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Wondering; Is there a way to add more dictionaries for the predictive typing? Tried to do some research, but it seems like it's not that easy.

Having a Dutch dictionary would make your release completely perfect, in my opinion. Wouldn't switch back to a 2.1 Sense release, way to clunky and flashy for me. I'm so happy with my clean looking Hero atm, with AOSP 2.1 flashed on it. Perfect for my job, lots of emailing, agenda syncing, etc.

Again, thanks for the hard work.

I managed to enable dutch T9 (the standard Hero keyboard) by installing HTC_IME, enabling "Touch Input" in the keyboard & Language settings, setting the phone language to Dutch, and rebooting

Download: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/apps/HTC_IME.apk

MD5Sum: 1a2e9587cc2a0d0339050eb628b5e19d

Edited by Huib

Guest BigDvr6

Loaded this rom last night and its great :) but i cant get co pilot to run B) it just gives a message, co pilot cannot load on this system, Please can you lookinto this.

Cheers.

Guest jnwhiteh
Loaded this rom last night and its great :) but i cant get co pilot to run B) it just gives a message, co pilot cannot load on this system, Please can you lookinto this.

Cheers.

Nope, it's a paid application so you're going to have to do any research as to why it doesn't work. You can provide logcat output, but if the application itself is saying "no", you'll need to contact them.

Guest Prime61071

I know it doesn't help much but I can confirm that CoPilot is capable of working on this ROM, it's been fine on my handset. Admittedly I did purchase it prior to moving to AOSP, is it the installer that won't run?

I've installed this rom and it's working great apart from the known issues.

I pushed the Gallery3D.apk shared here to my device and it still has the graphical corruptions when changing to landscape mode.

I've also noticed the Hero is running hotter than with MCR 3.1. It is warm to the touch, unlike with MCR 3.1 where it felt slightly colder than my hands.

Guest jnwhiteh
I've installed this rom and it's working great apart from the known issues.

I pushed the Gallery3D.apk shared here to my device and it still has the graphical corruptions when changing to landscape mode.

I've also noticed the Hero is running hotter than with MCR 3.1. It is warm to the touch, unlike with MCR 3.1 where it felt slightly colder than my hands.

Then that's almost certainly some application you're using that's doing something.. I don't share the same experience.

Then that's almost certainly some application you're using that's doing something.. I don't share the same experience.

Maybe, I'll check what apps I have, but I mostly have the same ones as on MCR 3.1

Also, has anyone tried pushing Market.apk from a build where it isn't corrupted, like the Hero / Espresso hybrid?

I'll try it myself.

Guest jnwhiteh
Maybe, I'll check what apps I have, but I mostly have the same ones as on MCR 3.1

Also, has anyone tried pushing Market.apk from a build where it isn't corrupted, like the Hero / Espresso hybrid?

I'll try it myself.

Does the tiny graphical issue really botheryou that muc?

Guest Jens Bergqvist

Great new release! The only new problem I have found so far is video (recordings) freezing on the first frame during playback. This also happens in the Youtube app on low quality clips but not high quality ones.

I still have issues with configuring APNs that can only be resolved by pushing a different apns-conf.xml onto the device. Thanks for another awesome ROM!

Guest kieranc
Hy all.

Once again, thank's a lot for the great work !!!

I noticed something weird : in "Settings", "Language and keyboard", I get two "Android keyboards" !?

There's a 'VoiceSearchwithKeyboard.apk' in /system/app which I assume provides voice search and a keyboard.. remove latinime.apk and it should go back to just one (with a voice search button on it) i think.

Now, we need camera libraries =)

I'd rather get BT working right, do we have any idea what's wrong?

My phone reboots by itself every now and then using this ROM, anyone else have this issue? I just now updating to the latest one, hopefully it will not reboot!

not me, well impressed in general coming from kagudroid, only major problem IMO is BT audio!

Guest jnwhiteh
I'd rather get BT working right, do we have any idea what's wrong?

It doesn't work. That's the start of the problem. I can't test it, that's another problem =)

Guest kieranc
It doesn't work. That's the start of the problem. I can't test it, that's another problem =)

Nice! It works to some degree, pairs up fine and tries to work when a call comes in but it doesn't get routed to the headset. Would a logcat from when that happens be any use?

EDIT: can we get logcat output directed to a file on the sd so it'd survive a reboot and you wouldn't need to be constantly monitoring it....

Edited by kieranc

Hi, first... thankyou ... it is a good work...

Just some thoughts:

1) I would like to ask one thing: could you put a busybox with LZO? It is needed by TitaniumBackup (If you backed up for example from a MCR ROM). At the moment I solved by flashing after the GoogleBits the zip found at http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-coming-to-mcr/

2) When I used Gallery in r1 I thought that it does not work in landscape... Now in r2 (I don't know if it is the new googlebits or me) I noted that the problem is not landscape itself, but rotating... thus if you want to use landscape just keep the phone landscape when launch gallery and it works in landscape (but not portrait... i.e. not rotating...). I hope that this can be useful to someone else

3) about facebook notification... was it a htc thing? it was very useful when some one send me a message on facebook to have the notification...it seems to me that it does not work...

4) I deleted LatinIME.apk (just to solve the strange double keyboard in language settings...) do you think that there are other side effects? :-D I noted none at the moment...

Edited by carpao

Guest surfsmurf

It appears that the pirated versions that are floating around don't work. The ones from the market run beautifully.

Guest jnwhiteh
Nice! It works to some degree, pairs up fine and tries to work when a call comes in but it doesn't get routed to the headset. Would a logcat from when that happens be any use?

EDIT: can we get logcat output directed to a file on the sd so it'd survive a reboot and you wouldn't need to be constantly monitoring it....

I don't know how we can redirect the logcat output to sdcard like that.

1) I would like to ask one thing: could you put a busybox with LZO? It is needed by TitaniumBackup (If you backed up for example from a MCR ROM). At the moment I solved by flashing after the GoogleBits the zip found at http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-coming-to-mcr/

I'll have to check the busybox source to see how I can enable this.

2) When I used Gallery in r1 I thought that it does not work in landscape... Now in r2 (I don't know if it is the new googlebits or me) I noted that the problem is not landscape itself, but rotating... thus if you want to use landscape just keep the phone landscape when launch gallery and it works in landscape (but not portrait... i.e. not rotating...). I hope that this can be useful to someone else

Yes, this is the current issue.. the rotation does not work. Cyanogen experiences the same thing on his ROM.

3) about facebook notification... was it a htc thing? it was very useful when some one send me a message on facebook to have the notification...it seems to me that it does not work...

No, notification must be configured in the application is has nothing to do with the operating system. What doesn't work is the contacts information synchronization.

4) I deleted LatinIME.apk (just to solve the strange double keyboard in language settings...) do you think that there are other side effects? :-D I noted none at the moment...

No, I don't think there are any.. but I dont plan to remove it from the ROM.

Guest Revoked

Since were talking keyboards anyways. I needed more dictionaries because typing in dutch with english dictionary on is a real pain in the arse (Yeah i could have turned off the auto correct). So I managed to install HTC_IME and it works flawlessly (including calibration)

Guest jnwhiteh
Since were talking keyboards anyways. I needed more dictionaries because typing in dutch with english dictionary on is a real pain in the arse (Yeah i could have turned off the auto correct). So I managed to install HTC_IME and it works flawlessly (including calibration)

Get me the dictionary files (if you can find them) and we'll include them in the stock keyboard.

Guest jnwhiteh

I found the issue with the LED.. and it's right where I expected it would be. Also have the backup/restore script that is hacked together from the one included with Cyanogenmod.. so I'll be tossing those in the next release (sometime sunday gmt).

Guest Revoked

I pushed cyanogens HTC_IME.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567294

This one has all the dictionaries but u cant access them through the menu.

So I edited com.htc.android.htcime_preferences.xml to pick the dutch dictionary and that works.

Also the Clicker on that post by cyanogen does NOT work for 2.1

I took the Clicker.apk from a Hero 2.1 Rom and that did install properly.

Edited by Revoked

Just flashed this rom, don't get any service what so ever(im on T-Mobile UK) and get constant force closures even when just unlocking the lock screen. Have tried rebooting a few times and have the same problems over and over, should i try flashing again?

edit - Managed to get it working now just need to install the google bits =x

Edited by mat.

:)

Hello,

Using this rom and love it. Thanks. As for almost all 2.1 rom, strange behaviour of 3G/GPRS switch on/off. No available menu to switch. So I downloaded APNDroid, but, each time I use WiFi and therefore disconnect 3G, I can't get 3G back, neither using APNDroid nore if I set it again. The only way is to reboot all the time and get my connection back. Quite puzzling, isn't it ? Any clue ?

Many thanks.

Guest jnwhiteh
:)

Hello,

Using this rom and love it. Thanks. As for almost all 2.1 rom, strange behaviour of 3G/GPRS switch on/off. No available menu to switch. So I downloaded APNDroid, but, each time I use WiFi and therefore disconnect 3G, I can't get 3G back, neither using APNDroid nore if I set it again. The only way is to reboot all the time and get my connection back. Quite puzzling, isn't it ? Any clue ?

Many thanks.

That is an HTC feature. No AOSP ROM has that functionality.

I am considering to try this build (looks really promising) :)

i just have one question, is the bug with radio (changing letters in radio name) still present?

Edited by cTn

Guest jnwhiteh
I am considering to try this build (looks really promising) :)

i just have one question, is the bug with radio (changing letters in radio name) still present?

For me, no. I see JU as I'd expect.

Guest BigDvr6
I know it doesn't help much but I can confirm that CoPilot is capable of working on this ROM, it's been fine on my handset. Admittedly I did purchase it prior to moving to AOSP, is it the installer that won't run?

no its installed fine, but as soon as the co pilot screen loads it just says it cant load. i have other paid apps running fine.