AOSP Eclair 2.1 r4 for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest jnwhiteh
I love this build, works great for me,

the only question i have is it possible to access paid market ?

if so how ?

Install MarketEnabler, or one of te other applications that does this. Alternatively, move to another country =)

Guest b_jammin666

Just had to say I am loving this ROM, I much prefer the vanilla Android (particularly the standard keyboard)! Your work is much appreciated.

I can live without the camera and headset working 100% and everything else seems to work perfectly! I have not had any of the other issues mentioned in the thread (Gmail not syncing, soft resets, etc) :-D

The battery life does seem a little shorter than before, could this be because of the Hero's automatic dimming of the screen not being enabled and the default being full brightness? Not really a problem for me as I charge my phone in the car and at work and while sleeping in fact I'm never far from a USB port! :-p

Guest Prime61071

Hi

I've been tinkering with a script based on the work of Androcheck in this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666 and found it really does help battery life, at least on my handset. I can't take any credit for this, I've just used the values on Paul's MoDaCo 3.2 beta 5 rom and put it into a script for easy installation. I've attached a copy of the script so that if you're curious you can try it out too.

To make use of the script you'll need to do the following (and make sure you do a nandroid backup for safety!):

Extract the zip file to a directory on your computer, then

adb remount

adb push 99minfree /system/etc/init.d

adb shell chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/99minfree

That's it - turn off your task killer application of choice and reboot your phone. You should find that you have more free RAM than before and the management of memory is left to the android O/S itself.

99minfree.zip

Guest Richard Trip
That is indeed very likely, if the kernel is needed to support PPP.

compiled the modules to get all vpn working (both tun.ko an all ppp modules).

Tested and works for me with pptp and openvpn (l2tp and others please test).

If you need a working ext4 module and dependencies let me know (also tested with apps2sd which was solved by creating /system/sd directory).

vpn-aosp2.1-r5-beta2.zip also has the ext4.ko module and 2 dependencies (crc16.ko and jbd2.ko)

vpn_aosp2.1_r4.zip

vpn_aosp2.1_r5_beta2.zip

Edited by Richard Trip

Guest Stea1thmode
Hi

I've been tinkering with a script based on the work of Androcheck in this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666 and found it really does help battery life, at least on my handset. I can't take any credit for this, I've just used the values on Paul's MoDaCo 3.2 beta 5 rom and put it into a script for easy installation. I've attached a copy of the script so that if you're curious you can try it out too.

To make use of the script you'll need to do the following (and make sure you do a nandroid backup for safety!):

Extract the zip file to a directory on your computer, then

adb remount

adb push 99minfree /system/etc/init.d

adb shell chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/99minfree

That's it - turn off your task killer application of choice and reboot your phone. You should find that you have more free RAM than before and the management of memory is left to the android O/S itself.

Hi Prime,

Are your values any different from Oldskook73's default seetings, if so it would be intersting to know?

cheers, look forward to your reply. :)

Guest jnwhiteh

If you need a working ext4 module and dependencies let me know (also tested with apps2sd which was solved by creating /system/sd directory).

How did you manage to compile them without the kernel source? Did you just compile them against a stock 2.6.29 kernel?

Guest karumbo
How did you manage to compile them without the kernel source? Did you just compile them against a stock 2.6.29 kernel?

I was halfway through writing a similar post. Must be a vanilla kernel, or maybe they are from the old hero kernel source - would that work!??

This is probably in the land of fantasy now, but could it open up the possibilities of getting Bluetooth voice working and other hardware specific features...

Either way - Nice one! I'll try it out tonight when I get home.

Edited by karumbo

Guest Prime61071
Hi Prime,

Are your values any different from Oldskook73's default seetings, if so it would be intersting to know?

cheers, look forward to your reply. B)

Hi Stea1thmode

Admittedly I didn't read far enough into Androcheck's post to see that Oldskool73 had already done all the hard work and created the Minfreemanager app on the market. I haven't been able to find Oldskool73's settings, I just hijacked the values "1536,2048,4096,5120,15360,25600" from Paul's 3.2b5 ROM kitchen post. I figured if Paul was happy enough to include them in kitchen ROMs they must be fairly safe to use.

Here's a QR code for the link to Oldskool73's market app for those wanting a safer route to memory management goodness :)

post-639030-1265122157_thumb.png

Guest Richard Trip

The trick is to edit the beginning of scripts/setlocalversion in the kernel dir to something like:

printf '%s' "-8d063048"

exit 0

pull the /proc/config.gz from your hero

extract and rename to .config and edit the options.

make modules

i used android-msm-2.6.29-hero kernel (loxK)

Guest jnwhiteh
The trick is to edit the beginning of scripts/setlocalversion in the kernel dir to something like:

printf '%s' "-8d063048"

exit 0

pull the /proc/config.gz from your hero

extract and rename to .config and edit the options.

make modules

i used android-msm-2.6.29-hero kernel (loxK)

very nice!

Guest karumbo

I've had a quick go with the vpn update.zip.

I still get the same "Address family not supported by protocol" from logcat when trying to connect.

I manually tried to run the init script that is part of the update script and I get:

C:\adb shell /etc/init.d/05vpn start

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppox.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppopns.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppolac.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppol2tp.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/arc4.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/ppp_mppe.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/tun.ko' failed (Exec format error)

Any ideas, I'm running r5-beta2?

Guest Richard Trip
I've had a quick go with the vpn update.zip.

I still get the same "Address family not supported by protocol" from logcat when trying to connect.

I manually tried to run the init script that is part of the update script and I get:

C:\adb shell /etc/init.d/05vpn start

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppox.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppopns.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppolac.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/pppol2tp.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/arc4.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/ppp_mppe.ko' failed (Exec format error)

insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/tun.ko' failed (Exec format error)

Any ideas, I'm running r5-beta2?

Im running r4.

Different kernel? Let me know the exact kernel version.

Guest TheRealMac

awesome! it works! finally I can use the wireless network of my campus.

Guest jnwhiteh
awesome! it works! finally I can use the wireless network of my campus.

Good to know. If we can get them compiled against the r5 kernel, I can toss them in the CyanogenMod Hero version I'll be posting fairly soon.

Guest Richard Trip
Good to know. If we can get them compiled against the r5 kernel, I can toss them in the CyanogenMod Hero version I'll be posting fairly soon.

See my previous post for an update for r5 kernel.

Edited by Richard Trip

Guest jnwhiteh
can you include wave secure into the rom too?

Given that wavesecure can be installed from the market, I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

CyanogenMod for HTC Hero will be a bit more stable than the AOSP Eclair version, so I'm sure Paul will create a kitchen for it!

Guest jnwhiteh

If you want to test it out, here's a preview:

cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1.zip

It will work properly without any google-bits, and you can flash 1.8 or 1.9 on top of it with no issues. So far my experiences have been fairly positive. Once we get tun.ko and friends installed, there are even options within the ROM to enable features such as that. We could compile compcache, and there's an option for that as well.

Maintaining this, is nothing. I won't make any changes other than to fix issues with the vendor tree, and I'll update whenever cyanogen pulls in different code. All credit goes 100% to the man who gives us a maintained kernel tree. But more about that when I create a new post for this.

Nandroid backup first, as always. Enjoy =)

Given that wavesecure can be installed from the market, I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

the advantage is that it is installed into the system part ...so it is more reset resistant

I installed it into your rom from the update zip provided by paul... and it seems to me that it works well..

Edited by carpao

Guest JamesKing
You won't ahve to wipe your ext4 partition, but they won't be picked up automatically.. you'd need to use Titanium Backup or Astro or something to restore them. Nothing will happen to them, however.

They're the google proprietary applications that can't be distributed with the ROM. Once we have a proper 2.x ROM from HTC, we can just back those applicatoins up and use them, but until then we have this. You would need to apply the google bits after flashing the update.. before booting.

Thanks, that's really helpful :)

With respect to the ext4 partition, does this mean that if I do the following:

Nandroid back up

Wipe

Install your ROM

play around with it.

Restore nandroid back up

I'll be back exactly where I first started?

And just to check? This supports ext4? So it will find the same installations I've already got, once I've done a titanium backup?

THANKS!

James

If you want to test it out, here's a preview:

cyanogen-eclair-hero-beta1.zip

sorry but I didn't understand the implication of that...

is it a new alternative to r5b2, a different path? is the kernel of this version 2.6.29 and compiled from source for example?

and how is the comparison among your previous one about features and stability?

sorry for the probably stupid questions...

Guest jnwhiteh
good but what's new in it :D

Download it and see. That's why it's a preview.

Thanks, that's really helpful ;)

With respect to the ext4 partition, does this mean that if I do the following:

Nandroid back up

Wipe

Install your ROM

play around with it.

Restore nandroid back up

I'll be back exactly where I first started?

And just to check? This supports ext4? So it will find the same installations I've already got, once I've done a titanium backup?

No, none of my ROMS currently support ext4. No ROM is going to change your partitioning scheme, so yes a nandroid backup and restore will put you right back where you were to begin with. Just don't mess around with Apps2SD, which you shouldn't be doing anyway. If you're concerned, back up your data.

sorry but I didn't understand the implication of that...

is it a new alternative to r5b2, a different path? is the kernel of this version 2.6.29 and compiled from source for example?

and how is the comparison among your previous one about features and stability?

sorry for the probably stupid questions...

They're not stupid questions.. but its a preview. In the end, I likely will stop updating this AOSP ROM, in favour of Cyanogen for HTC Hero. The changes from AOSP -> Cyanogen are incredibly minor (some new icons, new launcher graphics, etc) and I don't have to do any work to put up new builds. No, of course the kernel isn't compiled from source, because we can't compile the kernel from source, because we don't have it.

It's a beta, I can't answer your questions about features and stability. That's what you're for.