22/Jan 1.8 Beta 2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM with online kitchen - LIMITED BETA

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest giryan
Actually, just got the same problem without having connected and mounted to the PC. This is now driving me nuts. I'm having to rebuild the phone every couple of days. I've been really strict this time and not mounted it at all but yesterday overnight stuff just stopped working. I did a quick boot and repaired the ext partition and did the UID thing, but to no avail. It does seem to be a problem linked to anything that might have been running at the time when the corruption happened. I've tried Titanium Back-up but this always hangs on my pulse. It never ever completes no matter what I do.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

P

Ohh, odd. So the ext's getting corrupt even if you're not USB mounting or turning the phone off/rebooting? :(

Don't really know what to suggest, I didn't have it that bad , but I got rid of the ext partition in the end because of getting fed up with repairing.

Guest darkly
Ohh, odd. So the ext's getting corrupt even if you're not USB mounting or turning the phone off/rebooting? <_<

Don't really know what to suggest, I didn't have it that bad , but I got rid of the ext partition in the end because of getting fed up with repairing.

Tried running this without the ext partition but it's not happy. Co-Pilot... apart from in my in my opinion being the buggiest piece of release software I have ever had the displeasure to use, is too big. Looks like I'm just going to have to do the re-install every two to three days thing for the forseeable future.

Guest minid33

I have a cooked vanilla rom of this beta and everything but SSH and wavesecure;

I tend to be finding there is a problem with my SDcard, i get things like apps wont install from the market.

I find that running the fix uid from recovery solves this problem. If you like i'll get you a logcat next time this happens.

Guest siliconmeadow
Thanks for the great job.. there is just one thing missing to have a perfect ROM: tethering!

No progress in compiling the netfilter into the kernel?

Andrew

If you're using Ubuntu, this link helped me set up tethering from my Pulse, and it should work with stock ROMs as well as MoDaCo custom ROMs. I've used it with 1.5 and 1.7.

http://alldroid.org/threads/14014-How-to-t...n-Debian-Ubuntu

Guest jonathonf
If you're using Ubuntu, this link helped me set up tethering from my Pulse, and it should work with stock ROMs as well as MoDaCo custom ROMs. I've used it with 1.5 and 1.7.

Or you could just run

$ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1501

Far easier.

And in the wiki.

Guest siliconmeadow
Or you could just run

$ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1501

Far easier.

And in the wiki.

Are you saying that this one 'modprobe' command sorts out the tethering completely? The configuration of OpenVPN is unnecessary?

I also find the Modoco site hard to navigate and have no idea where the wiki is in the first place until I stumble across it. I link to the page to which you refer would be helpful. <_<

Cheers,

Richard

Guest jonathonf
Are you saying that this one 'modprobe' command sorts out the tethering completely? The configuration of OpenVPN is unnecessary?
Yup. It makes the Pulse show up as a mobile broadband device in Network Manager. All you have to do is step through the configuration wizard, click connect, and voilà, done!

I've tested this on both Karmic (9.10) and Lucid (10.04), so it should work for you. <_< No idea about Jaunty (9.04), though.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...ulse-wiki-page/ (it's a sticky at the top of this forum) -> http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220

It was originally in another post where we worked out the vendor and product, but I can't be bothered to find it now. :mellow:

Edited by jonathonf

Guest brack

I read through this forum but cannot say for sure - would it be better for me to use 1.8 over 1.7? are there are any visible improvements?

I'm struggling to get in contact with Paul on issue of payment, since I can only pay via Moneybookers and not paypal nor credit card, however it looks impossible to pay via Moneybookers at least because Paul doesnt reply on PMs. So, I wanted to investigate maybe there is nothing to wish for really, if 1.8 is no better then 1.7 I will just give up on Ad Free membership idea?

Guest Spooke
snip

These are the changes since 1.7, so imo theres no real benifiet unless you want the updates and to support site? <_<

Changes since 1.7

Merged T-Mobile and U8230 style into one build system

Updated Servo Search

Updated RoadSync

Updated Documents To Go

Updated Titanium Backup

Updated WaveSecure

Reorganised some application locations

Re-optimised core

Guest DarkBytePH
Is there any news on the e2fsck situation? I haven't tried this ROM yet, but a few users have said that it isn't working.

I thought about bumping this, because it looks like noone confirmed that it doesn't/does work.

Edited by DarkBytePH

Guest helikopter
I thought about bumping this, because it looks like noone confirmed that it doesn't/does work.

strange. for me it works most of the time. during last month i had to reboot the phone quite a few times and only about once out of 5 reboots i get the installation error messages. so it's not perfect and a 100 % reliable but works.

Tried running this without the ext partition but it's not happy. Co-Pilot... apart from in my in my opinion being the buggiest piece of release software I have ever had the displeasure to use, is too big. Looks like I'm just going to have to do the re-install every two to three days thing for the forseeable future.

I have copilot installed without the EXT partition. Not had any issues but have stuck to an old build since I know from experience if it ain't broke then stop messing about with it! Think its build 328 at the end....

Guest bindi
I have copilot installed without the EXT partition. Not had any issues but have stuck to an old build since I know from experience if it ain't broke then stop messing about with it! Think its build 328 at the end....

I have similar situation with Co-pilot and similar build...Never had any issues so far. In manage apps it shows abut 14.98 MB, so takes a huge chunk of internam memory.

Guest darkly
I have similar situation with Co-pilot and similar build...Never had any issues so far. In manage apps it shows abut 14.98 MB, so takes a huge chunk of internam memory.

I have totally given up on using Co-Pilot. I bought a D.V.D. (Legit) and tried doing the install via that. From the very first time I did it I had problems. The install would go okay and then after re-opening Co-Pilot it would say that there were no maps on the phone. I would then try to download them directly from the phone, but it kept saying that there was something wrong. Also with Co-Pilot central the Windows control centre, it sometimes said that I had maps ready for download and at others said that I didn't. It is the buggiest piece of software I have ever come across, I can't believe they've got away with supplying such a piece of crap. I'm still waiting for a reply from my support ticket that I placed with them over a week ago.

Just pray that your co-pilot never goes wrong as they are the most awful company to deal with.

Guest darkly

Have gone back to having the apps installed on the SD card with 1.8 and for over a week I've not had any major problems. Had to do a couple of fix partion runs, but nothing that taxing. Everything is good... ;) apart from Co-Pilot of course. :)

Guest bindi
Have gone back to having the apps installed on the SD card with 1.8 and for over a week I've not had any major problems. Had to do a couple of fix partion runs, but nothing that taxing. Everything is good... ;) apart from Co-Pilot of course. :)

There is no doubt that Copilot is awefully slow to run, use and even exiting the app. I heard that Sygic nav software is much faster and takes less memory than Co-pilot.

Guest siliconmeadow
Yup. It makes the Pulse show up as a mobile broadband device in Network Manager. All you have to do is step through the configuration wizard, click connect, and voilà, done!

I've tested this on both Karmic (9.10) and Lucid (10.04), so it should work for you. :) No idea about Jaunty (9.04), though.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...ulse-wiki-page/ (it's a sticky at the top of this forum) -> http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_U8220

It was originally in another post where we worked out the vendor and product, but I can't be bothered to find it now. ;)

Excellent this is much easier than tethering - thank you!

I have updated the wiki page with instructions showing how to add a udev rule which removes the need for the modprobe command. Instructions here.

Guest oOBENJYOo

K just gone ad free and ready to pop one in the oven, but is it possible to choose U8230 when I have U8220...or am I being silly Paul? :)

Guest Richard_Arkless
K just gone ad free and ready to pop one in the oven, but is it possible to choose U8230 when I have U8220...or am I being silly Paul? :)

Yes u8230 version has been modified to run on the u8220 (pulse) so you can choose that option, I unfortunately cant get ad free cause I dont trust online services like paypal or google checkout

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest oOBENJYOo
Yes u8230 version has been modified to run on the u8220 (pulse) so you can choose that option, I unfortunately cant get ad free cause I dont trust online services like paypal or google checkout

I have never had a problem with paypal but I think those who dont keep there pc clean leave themselves prone to be an easy target, but I have used it a very long time now for ebay...I trust it 99% but I guess it only takes 1% to catch u out hehe....thanks for replying mate !

I dare not bake one yet with the problems people are having with satnav my girlfreind relies on it and would destroy me if I mess up lol ! :P

Guest coalfield

after flashing with everything minus the roadsync and ssh server, first boot simply presents a touchpal error as the first thing, even if i previously wiped? Any ideas?

The exact error is:

The application touchpal (process com.cootek.touchpal) has stopped unexpectedley. Please try again

Edited by coalfield

Guest giryan
after flashing with everything minus the roadsync and ssh server, first boot simply presents a touchpal error as the first thing, even if i previously wiped? Any ideas?

The exact error is:

The application touchpal (process com.cootek.touchpal) has stopped unexpectedley. Please try again

Yeah, that seems to happen.

Guest coalfield

Actaully, after a reboot the error does not come back and the touchpal appears to be working, so maybe its just one of those things