27/May 5.0.7.1 - CyanogenMod-5 for Nexus One online kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest xkonni
Thanks for the heads up. Reflashed with that knowledge, hoping that in future releases it becomes a user setting.

actually its in the kernel... since 2.6.32.

Guest yankyjz

Paul,

I was running Cyan 5.0.2 from his site with apps2sd from an XDA thread. Everything was running perfectly. My apps were installed on my SD partition and my used storage on my phone was ~40MB. I flashed 5.0.4.1 today from the kitchen which included the apps2sd option. I did a complete wipe of everything, both on the device and ext partition. I used Titanium to restore my apps and after they were installed, my used storage is ~130MB. Here's the weird thing. I know apps2sd is working because 1) my ext is filled with apps 2) the secondary storage menu in the settings section indicates that I have used ~300MB (I know it's a lot but I have a ton of games). After the install of the ROM on a completely wiped phone only 7MB of internal storage was used. After reinstalling my apps I have ~130MB on my internal used and ~300MB on my ext whereas before (as in, 5.0.2 w/apps2sd), I had the exact same number of apps installed with ~40MB internal used and ~300MB internal used. What am I missing?

Guest DistortedLoop
actually its in the kernel... since 2.6.32.

So Google's gonna be pushing it (90% battery charge) on us as well eventually?

Whoever's added it, here's to hoping someone will hack it out, or at least make an option to.

Guest xkonni
So Google's gonna be pushing it (90% battery charge) on us as well eventually?

Whoever's added it, here's to hoping someone will hack it out, or at least make an option to.

i dont see the problem with this.

it will charge the battery to 100%, if you plug it in under 90.

Guest DistortedLoop
i dont see the problem with this.

it will charge the battery to 100%, if you plug it in under 90.

Well, I am glad it's not a problem for you, but it remains an annoyance for me, nonetheless. <_<

My battery life, trying two different batteries and several different kernels, undervolted and not, is just atrocious on the Nexus One. I can't seem to get anywhere near the amount of juice out of mine, with what seems to be simliar usage, as many report here and other places. Today I am at 78% after three hours off the charger. The only thing I've done is use BeyondPod to listen to a 40 minute podcast, and to download another, and installed and checked out Earthquake! app. eMail pulls every hour, Touiteur every four. That's it, nothing else except for have the phone in standby. That's just terrible. Where would it be if I'd actually used it to browse the web, or send some SMS messages?

Keeping in mind that I already find battery life terrible, I don't think it's unexpected, or unreasonable, to think that I would find it desirable to be able to leave the house with 100% charge on the phone each morning. Do you think that's unreasonable?

If it is a reasonable desire, then to do that I either have to not take the phone off it's dock until I leave the house, or I have to intentionally try to run the battery down to 89% so that I can put it back on the charger and hope it gets back to 100% before I leave. I'm prevented from moving the phone from the bedside to another room, or from picking it up to read any messages that came in overnight, etc.

It's just not very convenient and conducive to the best ownership experience in my opinion. Your opinion may vary, and I'll respect that and not dismiss it flat out by saying your opinion doesn't matter.

Either way, is it ever too much to ask that something like this be a user configurable option in the settings? For those of you who don't find it a problem, leave the setting alone, for those of us who do, we can turn it off. Easy solution to please all, right?

Personally, I am far less concerned with the long term battery life of my battery than I am of the day to day user experience of my phone, which is, even if ever so slightly, impaired by this. I am more likely than not to buy the newest greatest phone in a year, so I doubt the 90% rule would impact my "long term experience" at all. If it will, then I suspect a design flaw in the Nexus One they're trying to cover up. I have 2.75 year old iPhones that have no negative impact on their batteries that I can tell from throwing on the dock to top off the charge, and those don't have any firmware restrictions to prevent charging if between 90% and 100%...

One good thing of all this - I'm annoyed enough that I may actually have to learn to tweak a kernel myself and see if I can take this "feature" out of whatever kernel I'm using at a given time. Not likely to happen, but you never know.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest xkonni
Well, I am glad it's not a problem for you, but it remains an annoyance for me, nonetheless. <_<

My battery life, trying two different batteries and several different kernels, undervolted and not, is just atrocious on the Nexus One. I can't seem to get anywhere near the amount of juice out of mine, with what seems to be simliar usage, as many report here and other places. Today I am at 78% after three hours off the charger. The only thing I've done is use BeyondPod to listen to a 40 minute podcast, and to download another, and installed and checked out Earthquake! app. eMail pulls every hour, Touiteur every four. That's it, nothing else except for have the phone in standby. That's just terrible. Where would it be if I'd actually used it to browse the web, or send some SMS messages?

Keeping in mind that I already find battery life terrible, I don't think it's unexpected, or unreasonable, to think that I would find it desirable to be able to leave the house with 100% charge on the phone each morning. Do you think that's unreasonable?

If it is a reasonable desire, then to do that I either have to not take the phone off it's dock until I leave the house, or I have to intentionally try to run the battery down to 89% so that I can put it back on the charger and hope it gets back to 100% before I leave. I'm prevented from moving the phone from the bedside to another room, or from picking it up to read any messages that came in overnight, etc.

It's just not very convenient and conducive to the best ownership experience in my opinion. Your opinion may vary, and I'll respect that and not dismiss it flat out by saying your opinion doesn't matter.

Either way, is it ever too much to ask that something like this be a user configurable option in the settings? For those of you who don't find it a problem, leave the setting alone, for those of us who do, we can turn it off. Easy solution to please all, right?

Personally, I am far less concerned with the long term battery life of my battery than I am of the day to day user experience of my phone, which is, even if ever so slightly, impaired by this. I am more likely than not to buy the newest greatest phone in a year, so I doubt the 90% rule would impact my "long term experience" at all. If it will, then I suspect a design flaw in the Nexus One they're trying to cover up. I have 2.75 year old iPhones that have no negative impact on their batteries that I can tell from throwing on the dock to top off the charge, and those don't have any firmware restrictions to prevent charging if between 90% and 100%...

One good thing of all this - I'm annoyed enough that I may actually have to learn to tweak a kernel myself and see if I can take this "feature" out of whatever kernel I'm using at a given time. Not likely to happen, but you never know.

ok i see that this IS an issue for you :mellow:

what you can do is use a 2.6.29 kernel, those do not have that feature. maybe you can even remove it from the newer sources when doing a diff between those versions.

Guest DistortedLoop
ok i see that this IS an issue for you :mellow:

what you can do is use a 2.6.29 kernel, those do not have that feature. maybe you can even remove it from the newer sources when doing a diff between those versions.

Yeah, sometimes I forget that my own usage patterns and priorities aren't the same as everyone else's, also.

Removing it's what I plan to do, if I can figure it out once I get the time to actually poke through one of them with confidence that I know what I am doing.

Meanwhile, teknologist's suggested that he has vastly improved battery life with ERE27's radio than the ERE36. I'm downgrading - or perhaps it's upgrading in that light - to it in a few minutes to see if it helps.

If I could get a decent day's worth of battery out of moderate usage, I wouldn't care about the 90% thing. <_<

Guest DistortedLoop
ok i see that this IS an issue for you <_<

Seems to be a Cyanogen only thing, Teknologist's kernel does not have this charging behavior at .33 source.

Guest yankyjz
Paul,

I was running Cyan 5.0.2 from his site with apps2sd from an XDA thread. Everything was running perfectly. My apps were installed on my SD partition and my used storage on my phone was ~40MB. I flashed 5.0.4.1 today from the kitchen which included the apps2sd option. I did a complete wipe of everything, both on the device and ext partition. I used Titanium to restore my apps and after they were installed, my used storage is ~130MB. Here's the weird thing. I know apps2sd is working because 1) my ext is filled with apps 2) the secondary storage menu in the settings section indicates that I have used ~300MB (I know it's a lot but I have a ton of games). After the install of the ROM on a completely wiped phone only 7MB of internal storage was used. After reinstalling my apps I have ~130MB on my internal used and ~300MB on my ext whereas before (as in, 5.0.2 w/apps2sd), I had the exact same number of apps installed with ~40MB internal used and ~300MB internal used. What am I missing?

I figured it out after I had time to look into it some more. The dalvik-cache folder isn't getting sym-linked to /sd which is over 60MB for me. Any chance that can be added to the kitchen as an option?

Guest McNexus

Can anyone help with a small problem I have please? I upgraded from cyanogen 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 kitchen and now the News and Weather widget only seems to take US based feeds. In the settings for the app, it shows UK as a news topic in the preferences list, but the feed is populated with US news.

I checked my location settings and they all seem correct.

I'm thinking the widget program itself differs depending on region.

If that is the case could a different version be added to the kitchen please?

Also this is only my second post, and I'd like to say thanks to Paul and all the other devs contributing to making the Nexus better.

Guest yankyjz
On CM ROMs, dalvik-cache is stored in /cache?

P

Correct me if I'm wrong (and you can confirm with Cyan) but it seems to me that the dalvik-cache stored in /cache is ONLY for system apps, not user installed apps. I'm quickly running out of space and cannot install certain games because they are too large. Please double check this. I need to be able to sym link d-c as well otherwise I'm stuck on Cyan 5.0.2. Thanks.

Edited by yankyjz

Guest yankyjz
You're wrong. <_< It's for all dalvik-cache...

P

That may be true but the a2sd on this ROM from the kitchen is also placing dc on /data/. I have confirmed this on two N1s, both with complete wipes. I install an app and the dc is placed in /data/dalvik-cache, not /cache/dalvik-cache. This also seems to be completely random since I see some apps have there dc on /data and come on /cache/. Tell me how I can confirm this so that you will be satisfied. I've been running a2sd since it originally became available for the G1 and I've never experienced this issue. There is definitely something going on here I just don't know what it is. A friend of mine said I was crazy until I confirmed it on his N1. He didn't know it because he had so few apps. I am basically out of space and it's the dc causing it. Normally, /data/data is what eats up space so that's manageable. Something changed between the way I was manually doing it on 5.0.2 using this [http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=627044] and the way it's being done now.

Guest yankyjz
Strange then, never seen that personally! <_<

P

Is there something I can do to help you identify the problem? I speak geek pretty well if that helps.

Guest mzach

Today I tried flashing 5.0.4.1 with IME over a custom 5.0.4.1 (5.0.3 kitchen updated to 5.0.4.1 CM manually), unfortunately I get stuck on the boot screen.

Steps I performed:

- Boot into recovery (Amon_RA 1.6.2)

- nandroid backup

- Wipe (settings, cache, battery stats, rotate settings)

- flash 5.0.4.1 from kitchen

- reboot

- stuck on boot (first the official nexus one, than the custom blue, after some minutes back to nexus one, blue one and so on)

tried twice, same result, so I reverted back to my custom rom

anybody any idea what might be the problem?

Guest kwazyivan

Hi Paul <_<

Is there a possibility of porting the Car Home application from the MCR into the Cyanogen 5.0.4.1 Rom?

The reason I'm asking about this, is that Car Home application on the MCR works fine in UK, but the one implemented into the Cyanogen 5.0.4.1 doesnt work in the UK, only US.

Guest xkonni
Hi Paul <_<

Is there a possibility of porting the Car Home application from the MCR into the Cyanogen 5.0.4.1 Rom?

The reason I'm asking about this, is that Car Home application on the MCR works fine in UK, but the one implemented into the Cyanogen 5.0.4.1 doesnt work in the UK, only US.

did you install the alternate maps version? its called m4ps and therefore the car dock app can not find it.

i removed the default Maps.apk, then did adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps, then pushed the modified version to /system/app. Works fine with default cm car-dock-app.

Guest kwazyivan
did you install the alternate maps version? its called m4ps and therefore the car dock app can not find it.

i removed the default Maps.apk, then did adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps, then pushed the modified version to /system/app. Works fine with default cm car-dock-app.

Alternative maps version :( called m4ps :mellow: ???

All I have installed is the default that it came implemented into the cm rom.

Do I still have to do what you said to get it working (remove the default Maps.apk, then do adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps, then push the modified version to /system/app)

Btw which modified version you talking about <_<

Guest xkonni
Alternative maps version :( called m4ps :mellow: ???

All I have installed is the default that it came implemented into the cm rom.

Do I still have to do what you said to get it working (remove the default Maps.apk, then do adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps, then push the modified version to /system/app)

Btw which modified version you talking about <_<

there is a hacked maps version that includes navigation outside of the US.

its available in 2 versions. one for root users called Maps, just like the original one - meant to replace it.

And one with M4ps as internal name, so it can install beside the regular maps for non-root users.

try

adb shell ls -l /data/data/ | grep com.google.android.apps

this should output the name. if it is

com.google.android.apps.maps

and the cardock does not work, then i'm on the wrong track :D

Edited by xkonni

Guest kwazyivan
there is a hacked maps version that includes navigation outside of the US.

its available in 2 versions. one for root users called Maps, just like the original one - meant to replace it.

And one with M4ps as internal name, so it can install beside the regular maps for non-root users.

try

adb shell ls -l /data/data/ | grep com.google.android.apps

this should output the name. if it is

com.google.android.apps.maps

and the cardock does not work, then i'm on the wrong track :mellow:

yeah i ran the command and got this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 app_27 app_27 2048 Mar 11 14:05 com.google.android.apps.maps

Does this mean that the app installed is correct and should work outside US?

If it should work outside US and it doesnt, is there another way around this?

Cheers for the help mate. <_<

Guest mzach

Nobody had a similar issue as I encountered (described in detail in #543) ?

Just wondering if I'm the only one and if it's related to adding IME to the ROM.

Thank you in advance.

Guest xkonni
yeah i ran the command and got this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 app_27 app_27 2048 Mar 11 14:05 com.google.android.apps.maps

Does this mean that the app installed is correct and should work outside US?

If it should work outside US and it doesnt, is there another way around this?

Cheers for the help mate. <_<

that means that car dock should work by default as you either got the default maps or the replacing one.

do adb logcat before trying to launch maps from the car dock.