Build from source, kernel/aosp

Guest pajn

Guest maxisma
pvt stands for production validation test, the final stage, and acer didn't include it on the kernel, maybe thats because we cant have a working kernel..

I don't even dare to flash the boot.img without testing it first, this is my only android phone and I'm trying to avoid to brick it at all cost! So can't do much before someone figures out what is wrong with the kernel/boot.img..

Don't worry, you can always flash back to Liquid.superboot ;-)

Guest behnaam
Didn't work, boots directly to bootloader :\ sh*t

U could try the following to test a kernel without flashing boot.img:

fastboot -i 0x502 boot arch/arm/boot/zImage ramdisk.img (just take ramdisk img from any existing boot.img)

U could try the following to test a kernel without flashing boot.img:

fastboot -i 0x502 boot arch/arm/boot/zImage ramdisk.img (just take ramdisk img from any existing boot.img)

did tried before with no sucess...

# fastboot-linux -i 0x0502 boot zImage boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz 

creating boot image...

creating boot image - 5222400 bytes

downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY

booting... FAILED (remote: invalid boot image)

Guest behnaam
did tried before with no sucess...

# fastboot-linux -i 0x0502 boot zImage boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz 
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 5222400 bytes
booting... FAILED (remote: invalid boot image)[/code]

the ramdisk should be a yaffs2 img I think if I remember right, look at android emulator ramdisk image and see how its packed, thinks the just yaffsed it

the ramdisk should be a yaffs2 img I think if I remember right, look at android emulator ramdisk image and see how its packed, thinks the just yaffsed it

# mkfs.yaffs2.x86 boot.img-ramdisk ramdisk.img

mkfs.yaffs2: Android YAFFS2 Tool,Build by PowerGUI 

at http://www.openhandsetalliance.org.cn

Building...

Build Ok.
# fastboot-linux -i 0x0502 boot zImage ramdisk.img 

creating boot image...

creating boot image - 2512896 bytes

booting... FAILED (remote: invalid boot image)

But I tried with the working kernel and didn't work too. Maybe mkfs.yaffs2.x86 is not the right tool

EDIT:

@behnaam,

Tried the phyton script from here to extract the ramdisk and still cant boot with the actual working kernel..

Still cant understand whats happing with Liquid's bootloader to don't acept almost nothing :S

EDIT2: ok, so I lost all my nitght on this sh*t and this kernel is completely useless on how acer gave us! They are just f**king kidding with us!. need to get some sleep

Edited by disc0

Try to modificating somes options in the config file.

If i try to boot on the new img, i have no more "invalid image" message. It shows "Booting Linux...." but nothing appends, the phone just freeze. If i try to flash it, as usual, the phone reboot in fastboot.

I'll try more later.

Try to modificating somes options in the config file.

If i try to boot on the new img, i have no more "invalid image" message. It shows "Booting Linux...." but nothing appends, the phone just freeze. If i try to flash it, as usual, the phone reboot in fastboot.

I'll try more later.

Can be the kernel released different from the standards and then not easy to compile, but however complete and then ready to "user"?pr is poor of things and then impossible to use?

Edited by erto90

Discovered somethings interesting :

QSD8x50 SURF (MACH_QSD8X50_SURF) [Y/n/?] (NEW) n

ACER A1 (MACH_ACER_A1) [Y/n/?] y

Acer Q8K Board Type

1. Q8K A1 EVT (MACH_Q8K_A1_EVT) (NEW)

2. Q8K A1 DVT (MACH_Q8K_A1_DVT) (NEW)

3. Q8K A1 DVT2 (MACH_Q8K_A1_DVT2) (NEW)

> 4. Q8K A1 PVT (MACH_Q8K_A1_PVT)

Guest CedricGatay

Acer Q8K Board Type

I just found out the same thing as you in the KConfig file of mach-msm, we really miss dvt2 and pvt config...

Acer Q8K Board Type

What mean?

Ok, I need to understund one things first that I cannot find anywhere.. The kernel_addr and ramdisk_adrr in the boot.img are used for what??

In the configuratin I found this:

#

# Boot options

#

CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x0

CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0

CONFIG_CMDLINE="init=/sbin/init root=/dev/ram rw initrd=0x11000000,16M console=ttyDCC0 mem=88M"

# CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL is not set

# CONFIG_KEXEC is not set

Is there some relation? I think the init command is wrong, so I'll play a little with...

Could someone share a stock boot.img (superboot not flashed) from a nandroid backup please ?

there is a topic that has stock roms and someone shared his copy of the update unpacked by acer tool..

take atention that imgs have aditional header to be recognized by the acer tool, so you need to delete some bytes in the init!

Edited by disc0

Could someone share a stock boot.img (superboot not flashed) from a nandroid backup please ?

Here B)

Anyone else had any success in booting? Kernel compiles ok even with that PVT as board type, but I have no idea why fastboot won't accept the image. Too tired to try anymore :)

PS. If you're compiling your kernel, note that you must have "header" before packaging the zImage kernel with mkbootimg. The header is just bunch of 00's. You can copy the header from stock boot.img kernel, for example.

Edited by blc

Guest behnaam
Yea, as I said, the PVT config is just missing. But I think Acer doesn't have to give us Kernel configs.. just sources.

yep, think only gpl v3 requires a kernel that can actually be compiled correctly and booted.

yep, think only gpl v3 requires a kernel that can actually be compiled correctly and booted.

if you want,i write acer

tel me a list of what you need.........

Okay, but how does, for example, Paul's superboot work then? It's the only boot.img that I have seen to boot without actually flashing it. Even stock boot.img doesn't work with fastboot if you just try it with "fastboot -i 0x0502 boot boot.img". Surely if we can learn this info, we can then modify our kernels accordingly and get them to boot (to some extent at least) like Paul's superboot img.

Okay, but how does, for example, Paul's superboot work then? It's the only boot.img that I have seen to boot without actually flashing it. Even stock boot.img doesn't work with fastboot if you just try it with "fastboot -i 0x0502 boot boot.img". Surely if we can learn this info, we can then modify our kernels accordingly and get them to boot (to some extent at least) like Paul's superboot img.

Paul was going to give us something but he never did.. Someone wants to cotact him asking??

EDIT: Ok, I PM'd paul, I really hope he can answer and help us...

I think that none of the boot.img work because of the hash calculated in the img header is not compatible with the liquid bootloader..

Edited by disc0

@behnaam,

can you explain me what those header's kernel and ramdisk adress mean??

Does it have to do with the kernel img itself??

I edited the kernel config to match the addresses, but I don't even know if its related with it.. I never needed to config this in any kernel compillation :\ ...

CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x20008000

CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0

CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM=y

CONFIG_CMDLINE="init=/init root=/dev/ram rw initrd=0x24000000,16M console=ttyDCC0 mem=88M"

I'm beggining in the android chapter, and there are too many things that I need to learn that I don't find anywhere! Android documentation don't help much too, at least I didn't find it!

Thx for the link.

PS. If you're compiling your kernel, note that you must have "header" before packaging the zImage kernel with mkbootimg. The header is just bunch of 00's. You can copy the header from stock boot.img kernel, for example.

Coul you explain a lil bit more plz ?