New U8230 ROM on HuaweiDevice.com - analysis

Guest PaulOBrien

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum but I hope my information/experience will help. I have purchased a U8220 in Hong Kong (PCCW) by mid-Feb, the version of my phone is

Model number: U8220

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.27

Build number: U8220V100R001C104B256SP01

The rom has incorporated some PCCW apps on it like HD TV player, MOOV, netsync on mobile etc. After playing with the phone for two days, I have decided to root it. I used the superboot from this website and had it applied to my phone, the touch screen dead after reboot. I have the option to get a replacement from PCCW within the 10 days trial period, so I have done a little bit more googling and actions recapped below.

(1) Install RA recovery 1.5.2, OK

(2) Install MCR U8230 1.7, fail, the touch screen still dead

(3) Try T-mobile Dec updated, update fail

(4) Flash this rom through recovery, EVERYTHING WORKS FINE! :( wifi, vibrate, bluetooth, sound etc. This rom has been rooted by Paul, I can run adb remount, using quickboot & manager terminal.

Now my phone version become:

Model number: U8230

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.27-perf huawei@localhost #2

Build number: U8230V100R001C00B250

I have lost my original rom because I flash it without doing the backup but I'm sure I can get it later when someone post it on the web.

Additionally, I have tried again to flach MCR U8230 1.7 with fastboot boot.img. The touchscreen work again, I can make phone call etc but unable to install any app due to "insufficient space". I suspect this is the mismatch of boot.img & rom.

I suspect Huawei has made some hardware improvement to U8220 recently and causing MCR unable to run on it. Within this two months, Huawei has signed up PCCW in Hong Kong to launch U8220 as U-Android and CHT in Taiwan as CHT8000. I have checked my package and find that further upgrade of my phone need to be download from a website in Taiwan instead of HK. Thus I believe this lot of U8220 disturbuted recently in Southeast Asia is a little bit different form the T-mobile pulse (using U8230 rom on U8220 model and run perfectly).

Now my only concern is how to run app to sd, I have tried to install busybox etc but unable to find system/sd when using busybox d -h. I' m all thumb in programming if anyone can teach me how to deal with it will be great. Please let me know if you need me to test anyting of this rom on my phone.

Cheers.

I tried to install it, it works fine but when I install Titanium Backup to restore some of my apps It complained that there is no root privileges... What is wrong? well, by the speed and feel it looks exactly like MCR u8230 vanilla style, so I might relate to this one as a light version of that rom.

Guest stupidm4n
2 new u8220 Rom's appeared today:

U8220 V100R001C125B262(Sweden H3G)

U8220 V100R001NORC128B262(Norway Telenor)

Seems both are 1.5 still! <_<

Caution Flashing these as they may contain a new boot loader.

Just put Sweden one on my tmobile pulse its got rid of the tmobile start up screen and its booted up fine (still 1.5 like you said)

*#*#2846579#*#* engineer mode (have we always had this ?) tried the touchscreen firmware upgrade but says version to early

got new mobile network settings option -Enable always-on mobile

New notepad icon

Has documents to go but no servo search or roadsync

in engineer settings there is one called Qualcomm background open setting but it needs a password, any ideas?

Edited by stupidm4n

Guest Dr Who
Just put Sweden one on my tmobile pulse its got rid of the tmobile start up screen and its booted up fine (still 1.5 like you said)

*#*#2846579#*#* engineer mode (have we always had this ?) tried the touchscreen firmware upgrade but says version to early

New notepad icon

in engineer settings there is one called Qualcomm background open setting but it needs a password, any ideas?

Hmmm, no servo search would be a big plus for me - never used it but frequently see it spooling away in the background eating battery or Force Closing on me! Don't use roadsync either.

Guest John Hamelink

*#*#2846579#*#* engineer mode (have we always had this ?)

This works on MCR 1.8 Beta.

tried the touchscreen firmware upgrade but says version to early

Same in MCR

That is new as far as i can tell

New notepad icon

Great news! I always thought servo was complete junkware and I had no use for roadsync (although I appreciate many business folks out there have no choice but to use outlook)

Same here in MCR, I wonder what that option does...

Guest andreass4

@Paul... Can you include app2sd in this rom? Cause the Modaco Customrom doesnt work on my U8230. I tried some howtos but none worked for me...

Maybe you can explain it and i can do it myself...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Basher52

Thats was Google translate says when converted to englisch, the german translation is rather more cruel :)

After installation, the updata.app and split_updata.pl placed in a folder to find this folder in cmd, and then perl split_updata.pl updata.app

rom Download:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCen...ntName=U8220-6% 20V100R001C17B253SP03.rar

1. First of all change updata.app for boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, there is a userdata.img

To this post where http://android.modaco.com/conten ... e-updata-app-files /

Download an attachment, then delete the txt extension, which is the file name into a split_updata.pl

Then go to the next one perl support environment

http://strawberryperl.com/ http://strawberryperl.com/

After installation, the updata.app and split_updata.pl placed in a folder to find this folder in cmd, and then perl split_updata.pl updata.app

Finally, in this folder under a output folder, img file is inside

2. With the extraction recovery of the method of root or brush, brush img

To the blue screen below, connect the data cable.

These img files are placed (for example, with the recovery method) 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery folder, create a flash.bat the following file, use Notepad to edit the

1. fastboot-windows.exe flash boot boot.img

2. fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img

3. fastboot-windows.exe flash system system.img fastboot-windows.exe flash system system.img

4. fastboot-windows.exe flash userdata userdata.img fastboot-windows.exe flash userdata userdata.img

Copy code

Save and then run all ok after the restart on the list

The completion of the unit can not upload the vicinity of ... ah ...

original link

Edited by Basher52

Guest twrock
I suspect Huawei has made some hardware improvement to U8220 recently and causing MCR unable to run on it. Within this two months, Huawei has signed up PCCW in Hong Kong to launch U8220 as U-Android and CHT in Taiwan as CHT8000. I have checked my package and find that further upgrade of my phone need to be download from a website in Taiwan instead of HK. Thus I believe this lot of U8220 disturbuted recently in Southeast Asia is a little bit different form the T-mobile pulse (using U8230 rom on U8220 model and run perfectly).

Now my only concern is how to run app to sd, I have tried to install busybox etc but unable to find system/sd when using busybox d -h. I' m all thumb in programming if anyone can teach me how to deal with it will be great. Please let me know if you need me to test anyting of this rom on my phone.

siumai, this thread might be of some interest to you: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...e-rom-firmware/

kenoboe was successful in rooting the original CHT 8000 boot.img. There are also original boot and recovery images to download there.

Guest Basher52

Now got a healthy rom downloaded, after the first was wrong.

there are one .app file i can open atm, got to wait for McSpoon or someone else to guide me this script.

the two other files, included in the folder you download are: a userdata.hwcfg, a zero byte file witjout a ckecksum and a updateguide.txt

this guides contains just these 4 sentences:

1:Copy dload to SD card

2:Switch off the hanset ,then press "Volume Control Upper Key +End Key+ Power Key"

3:Showing successful

4:Remove battery one second ,then power on ,waiting till the os start up

Guest McSpoon

Don't install the updata.app file directly as it might not be possible to undo that process. You could become stuck with Chinese firmware.

It's a lot safer to use the Perl script to unpack it and extract just the Android boot and system images, although you do need to have Perl installed to do that.

I might download the file later and find out what is in it. But all indications are this is just a Chinese version of Android 1.5

I wasn't aware that HuaweiDevice.com has a separate download area for China. Interesting.

Guest ajieboy
As brought to my attention by robot1000... there's a new U8230 ROM on HuaweiDevice.com, dated 2010-02-01 and named U8230V100R001C00B250.

Hi Paul.

do you still have original huawei ROM : U8230V100R001C00B250 ?

i check in the huaweidevice.com, but now there's no U8230V100R001C00B250. it looks like they have removed the ROM. (2 week ago i checked the web site, and ROM still there, but cannot download coz always interrupted in the middle of download)

Guest lilim_ac

hello everyone.. i am newbie here, just got my u8230 yesterday afternoon.

i am having several questions, i heard of back up images. so i can restore to my original stock images. how can i make that back up images? using what program?

and what about nandroid backup?

please advise me.. cause i'm really confuse with all the stuff... thanks you very much

Guest ajieboy
i am having several questions, i heard of back up images. so i can restore to my original stock images. how can i make that back up images? using what program?

and what about nandroid backup?

1. what ROM version are you now? you can check via home screen > menu > setting > about phone

2. if you use ROM B250, don't install superboot. it will make your touchscreen unusable

3. to do nandroid backup, you must install Amon Ra Recovery image for huawei android pulse.

4. after install amon ra recovery image for huawei android pulse, download quickboot from market. then after install quickboot, open that program and press Recovery.

5. handset will reboot and show recovery phase. choose nandbackup.

6. done

Guest ajieboy

help.

my camera app on huawei u8230 not working.

my ROM : U8230V100R001C00B250.

i attach the error

7tq2258phb4j.jpg

Edited by ajieboy