21/May r15 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Nexus One with Online Kitchen - EPF30 Eclair

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest teknologist
I've had that problem for quite some time now. Using MCR 1.7, but it occured even on previous builds. Not sure if it was in the original stock rom as well.

Yes I had that problem too and it happened to me on every single ROM I use: Stock/CM/MCR.

The thing is that it doesn't happen a lot.

Also sometimes when I come back from an app hitting the home button, I end up in an empty homescreen...

All these happened to me on all ROMs I used.

Also, I'd like to stress that MCR is built on stock ROMS and I is not recompiled. It's just stock binary code. Paul does a job by optimizing the bits and pieces, adding softs, streamlining the ROM. He doesn't change the code and recompile stuff...So apart from the typical install bugs, the rest of the bugs should be happening on stock ROMs (that is retail or leaked) too...

All that being said, It's Sunday, it's sunny, I am off to enjoy this lovely day ! ;-)

Cheers everyone !

[EDIT] I can confirm the battery drain due to trackball notifications was only caused by the sequential notifications tweak and not the color LED. The phone only ate 2% battery overnight now that I have reverted that tweak, but still I am getting color LED notifications ! The fix should be up on Monday in the next version of MCR

Edited by teknologist

Guest Mantisen
Prior to MCR 1.8 I was on CM 5.4.1 with my TCK 0.7 and had moreless the same battery life!

Well I don't really think running UV at all frequencies saves me to much on the battery either, but since I can't find TCK 0.7 to flash on to 5.0.4.1 I don't have much of a choice <_<

Im thinking of switching to MCR 1.8 and try BFS (anyone have anything to report about this?), but anyways. If I want to flash TCK 0.7 onto CM 5.0.4.1, where can I find it?

It it possible to extract it out of the MCR 1.8 zip?

Guest xkonni
Well I don't really think running UV at all frequencies saves me to much on the battery either, but since I can't find TCK 0.7 to flash on to 5.0.4.1 I don't have much of a choice <_<

Im thinking of switching to MCR 1.8 and try BFS (anyone have anything to report about this?), but anyways. If I want to flash TCK 0.7 onto CM 5.0.4.1, where can I find it?

i think that whole undervolting thing is really overrated.

just imaging the phone running undervolted all the time and all power would be drained by the cpu.

in that case going down by 0.05V (in the whole range from 1.05 to 1.275) will save less than 5%.

But in reality the cpu is only one aspect and i doubt the savings are higher than maybe 2%.

I haven't yet tried BFS and i dont think i will do soon, but you're right, you can rip it out of MCR1.8.

This might cause issues on CM though, because the config is quite different (modules instead of built-in features for example).

probably you will break things like tethering.

i'd rather suggest you recompile CM-kernel and just change the scheduler to bfs.

Guest teknologist

There you go

I used to use it on CM 5.4.1 so it worked stable & fast on that ROM

[EDIT] Moved to its own topic to avoid polluting this topic!

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...0-4-1-packages/

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
i think that whole undervolting thing is really overrated.

just imaging the phone running undervolted all the time and all power would be drained by the cpu.

in that case going down by 0.05V (in the whole range from 1.05 to 1.275) will save less than 5%.

But in reality the cpu is only one aspect and i doubt the savings are higher than maybe 2%.

I haven't yet tried BFS and i dont think i will do soon, but you're right, you can rip it out of MCR1.8.

This might cause issues on CM though, because the config is quite different (modules instead of built-in features for example).

probably you will break things like tethering.

i'd rather suggest you recompile CM-kernel and just change the scheduler to bfs.

Completely agree on the overrated UV kernels ! (when you look at battery usage in settings, on mine 70% of battery goes for the screen!! ;-)

as per BFS, was highly unstable for me so I skipped it on my phone.

TCK 0.7 works like a charm on CM 5.4.1. I did run CM5.4.1 with the whole shebang (tethering etc.) for over 2 weeks with TCK 0.7 and no issues at all. (I found the default kernel on CM 5.4.1 to be highly unstable on my phone, spontaneous reboots etc.)

The packages I have attached to this posts are update zips usable with Ra-Recovery and they flash perfectly over an existing CM 5.4.1

Edited by teknologist

Guest Thetechnogeek

Paul, there is still a big keyboard issue with this build- if you exclude the voice apps (google voice, dialer etc) and IME, you don't get a keyboard you can use. These are not functions I use, so want to leave them out of the build. Is it possible to fix this for the next iteration?

Many thanks!!

Guest Thetechnogeek
Hmmm, if you leave out Voice Search you should get the normal keyboard. I'll look into it.

P

Nice one, many thanks! I tried re-including voice search and voice dialler and it was OK, but I didn't try with only one or the other.

Guest SandyTurley

I don't know if this is the place to act but I noted the issues you were discussing and thought you might be able to help.

I rooted the phone installed the Ra's recovery and the 36b with hymen and tried both cyanogens and Pauls roms and when I rebooted

the phone I have the Android market Icon but it will not connect and I also can't find the wirless tethering. I have the usb tethering in the list.

Should I go back and start over? The main thing I want is the wireless tethering and of course I need to be able to download apps..

Here is the error I am getting:

Attention

--------------

A network error has occurred.

Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen.

Then is has a retry and a cancel button.

I am on the internet and have tried it at other locations and cannot get it to take.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help, <_<

Sandy

OOPS i forgot to mention I just downloaded another rom to try to see if it would correct the wifi and market place issue.

Still acts the same.

Edited by SandyTurley

Guest vzontini
I've had that problem for quite some time now. Using MCR 1.7, but it occured even on previous builds. Not sure if it was in the original stock rom as well.

The "bread crumb" dot problem is in the stock ROM. I had that problem before I touched anything on my phone. It seemed to be introduced in the first OTA update because I don't remember it in the out of the box version.

Guest xkonni
I don't know if this is the place to act but I noted the issues you were discussing and thought you might be able to help.

I rooted the phone installed the Ra's recovery and the 36b with hymen and tried both cyanogens and Pauls roms and when I rebooted

the phone I have the Android market Icon but it will not connect and I also can't find the wirless tethering. I have the usb tethering in the list.

Should I go back and start over? The main thing I want is the wireless tethering and of course I need to be able to download apps..

Here is the error I am getting:

Attention

--------------

A network error has occurred.

Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen.

Then is has a retry and a cancel button.

I am on the internet and have tried it at other locations and cannot get it to take.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help, <_<

Sandy

OOPS i forgot to mention I just downloaded another rom to try to see if it would correct the wifi and market place issue.

Still acts the same.

after flashing CM, you need to flash the gapps package too, otherwise you may get the described behavior.

did you wipe before trying MCR? might cause issues too when switching from an aosp rom to a modified stock one.

and if you install stock ere36b/epe54b you will not be able to download protected apps from the market unless you include the ere27 build fingerprint (its an option in the kitchen).

custom roms all got this by default.

Guest teknologist

I know we haven't been talking about battery for a while but I wanted to share some discovery with you guys.

yesterday I upgraded my radio to the last (ERE36B) and my battery drain has been awful. (I hadn't upgraded earlier because it seemed to make cracks on my BT headset)

I therefore recommend, if you want good battery life and don't need the latest radio (the latest ain't always the greatest! ;-) revert to the ERE27 latest official radio.

Works great with MCR 1.8 / CM 5.4.1 and gives me a lot better battery life !

It really makes a hug difference !

Hope it helps !

[EDIT] The radios I am referring to are:

Latest leak ERE36B/EPE54B -> radio v. 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2 -> Huge battery drain for me ! :-(

Latest official ERE27 -> radio v. 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2 radio -> A lot better battery life for me ! :-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest Formel-LMS

Yes, it helps well.

Do you mean the 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2?

OK, I was too slow. Thank you.

Thats because of telephonate while answering you.....

Edited by Formel-LMS

Guest DistortedLoop
I know we haven't been talking about battery for a while but I wanted to share some discovery with you guys.

yesterday I upgraded my radio to the last (ERE36B) and my battery drain has been awful. (I hadn't upgraded earlier because it seemed to make cracks on my BT headset)

I therefore recommend, if you want good battery life and don't need the latest radio (the latest ain't always the greatest! ;-) revert to the ERE27 latest official radio.

Works great with MCR 1.8 / CM 5.4.1 and gives me a lot better battery life !

It really makes a hug difference !

Hope it helps !

[EDIT] The radios I am referring to are:

Latest leak ERE36B/EPE54B -> radio v. 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2 -> Huge battery drain for me ! :-(

Latest official ERE27 -> radio v. 32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2 radio -> A lot better battery life for me ! :-)

THANKS!

Seems like battery is ALL I've been talking about lately, but in other threads.

Radio 34.03.00.21_2 made a big difference for my reception if I recall correctly, but I don't think 4.04.00.03_2 did anything noticeable.

I'll flash back to ERE27's and hopefully I can start whining about battery a little less often. <_<

I saw @kmobs tweet he had gotten more bars and faster speeds pushing the libhtc_ril.so from EPE54B - I wonder that impact on battery.

Guest AndyCr15

I would vouch for 32.24 too. I noticed a huge drain on the battery, maybe partly because it tended to struggle to keep a signal...

Guest DistortedLoop
I would vouch for 32.24 too. I noticed a huge drain on the battery, maybe partly because it tended to struggle to keep a signal...

You're saying 32.26 struggles?

I downgraded before leaving the office today.

I am at 85% battery after 1 hour 30 minutes. Spare parts reports non-sleep time of 56% (52 minutes). Screen on 25% (23 minutes).

I am in a 4 bar 3G area at the office, 1-2 bar spotty stuff near my home 6 miles away.

I Downloaded one 37mb podcast over 3G and listened to it. Browsed the Market for a couple of apps. Played around with a few tweets.

I'm not sure I'm going to get much battery love back on the ERE27 radio either. Getting really frustrated at this point. <_<

Guest AndyCr15

Well I'm waiting for them to sort the charging 'problem'. You must have noticed the first 10% falls of the battery like no one's business. Someone charged their battery with a radio controlled car charger, which charged it fully and it lasted hours longer apparently... The phone is cutting the charge of too soon it would appear.

Guest Formel-LMS

Paul is sick. Wait a bit. We want to have a good ROM. And with Headaches, that's not so easy I think.

Edited by Formel-LMS

Guest metatron
Paul is ill. Wait a bit. We want to have a good ROM. And with Headaches, that's not so easy I think.

Think we should demand to see a sick note from his doctor ? :mellow:

Nah, seriously get well Paul, take it easy <_<

Guest SandyTurley
after flashing CM, you need to flash the gapps package too, otherwise you may get the described behavior.

did you wipe before trying MCR? might cause issues too when switching from an aosp rom to a modified stock one.

and if you install stock ere36b/epe54b you will not be able to download protected apps from the market unless you include the ere27 build fingerprint (its an option in the kitchen).

custom roms all got this by default.

Thanks for the help xkonni. I did find the download for the wireless tethering on the phone and installed it and it works. now all i have to do is get the Market to work again. I'm going to flash the ere27 to see if that works. I will wipe before I do it. I'll let you know what happens. <_<

I wiped and then tried to flash the ere27 secure and insecure and both give me an error after opening the package. e:no signature and e: verification failed, then installation aborted.

Edited by SandyTurley