CyanogenMod for HTC Hero (GSM) v1.0 (now with online kitchen)

Guest jnwhiteh

Guest vorcigernix
Huh? Market looks fine to me!

Looks fine, but not as intended ;) Same graphical issues are in nexus keyboard. Not a stopper, but good that someone want to fix that.

Guest commodoor
14 hrs your lucky lol i have to charge my phone twice a day no matter what rom i use .....having said that my Hero is more or less glued to my hands.

Jnwhiteh top class rom thank you for your hard work and efforts best 2.1Rom i have installed so far ;)

M

The Fisrt aosp ROMs drained the battery so fast that i had to recharge also two times a day. With mcr i have proximately 50% left after 12 hours. with this ROM it was going great but after 75% it was draining faster. but i'm not blaiming the rom maybe i was playing to much :D

Nowhere. It's unclear what Google is doing with the backup/restore system.

Thnx, I hope they will backup things like bookmarks, settings and sms to gmail, easy access and restore

I suspect they are grabbing useful info about us for world domination!!!

eheh

whahaha lol

Edited by commodoor

Guest Profete162

Hi there,

I just want to tell you the bug i am experiencing with your ROM.

I make a fresh install of Kagudroid, AOSP, etc.. and i try some applications with Google Maps API and ir works easily, with Maps 3.4 multitouch from a fresh market download.

I now install your ROM ( from far my favorite) but the app keep going crashing.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with Google API application or the app i am talking has a programation problem ( i don't think so, because work perfectly with all other ROM's)

Keep impoving this ROM, i am waiting for update...

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.cousinHub.fastfood_Belgium/com.cousinHub.fastfood_Belgium.Belgian_Map}: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #8: Error inflating class com.google.android.maps.MapView

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2496)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2512)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$2200(ActivityThread.java:119)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1863)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4363)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:860)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:618)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): Caused by: android.view.InflateException: Binary XML file line #8: Error inflating class com.google.android.maps.MapView

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.createView(LayoutInflater.java:513)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.createViewFromTag(LayoutInflater.java:565)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.rInflate(LayoutInflater.java:618)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:407)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:320)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:276)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.android.internal.policy.impl.PhoneWindow.setContentView(PhoneWindow.java:198

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.Activity.setContentView(Activity.java:1622)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.cousinHub.fastfood_Belgium.Belgian_Map.onCreate(Belgian_Map.java:62)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1047)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2459)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): ... 11 more

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.google.android.maps.MapView.<init>(MapView.java:238)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.constructNative(Native Method)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:446)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at android.view.LayoutInflater.createView(LayoutInflater.java:500)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): ... 21 more

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: android.view.ScaleGestureDetector

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.google.android.maps.MapView.setup(MapView.java:368)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.google.android.maps.MapActivity.setupMapView(MapActivity.java:187)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.google.android.maps.MapView.<init>(MapView.java:280)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): at com.google.android.maps.MapView.<init>(MapView.java:255)

E/AndroidRuntime( 6201): ... 25 more

Guest jnwhiteh
Hi there,

I just want to tell you the bug i am experiencing with your ROM.

I make a fresh install of Kagudroid, AOSP, etc.. and i try some applications with Google Maps API and ir works easily, with Maps 3.4 multitouch from a fresh market download.

I now install your ROM ( from far my favorite) but the app keep going crashing.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with Google API application or the app i am talking has a programation problem ( i don't think so, because work perfectly with all other ROM's)

Keep impoving this ROM, i am waiting for update...

I don't know. I'll try to look into it, but I don't know.

Guest Profete162
I don't know. I'll try to look into it, but I don't know.

Thank a lot for having a look, but don't waste your time with this. I prefer you to improve the ROM :-p.

I'll try to share problematics applications, so i will see if i am the only one experiencing these crashes or weither it's general crashes with your ROM.

TRy for example:

Fastfood Belgium

dunkin donuts finder

Comic Strips Brussels

They work on all 2.1 ROM's with any version of Google maps ( with Multitouch or not) except this one.

Edited by Profete162

Guest masterpfa
In response to those who have PM'd me asking (and for everyone in this topic), the online kitchen for this ROM will be online tomorrow! ;)

P

Great news.

Mondays aren't so bad after all then

:(

Will the Taskkiller be an option or am I going off on a tangent?? :D

The Fisrt aosp ROMs drained the battery so fast that i had to recharge also two times a day. With mcr i have proximately 50% left after 12 hours. with this ROM it was going great but after 75% it was draining faster. but i'm not blaiming the rom maybe i was playing to much :D

To days ago, the battery went from ~50% to 0 in 1-2h (from just being in my pocket). At the time, I was underground with bad reception so I thought it was from searching for a network. Yesterday, when I went to bed it had ~60% and I wouldn't really need my phone today so I thought that I could test it and see if it really drained faster. So, after a good night's sleep (12h :( I needed that!), when I woke up it had already drained. I don't know how fast it happened (since I was asleep) but I know that other roms, i.e. jnwhiteh's own AOSP, would at least have had some battery left after that.

Is there anyone else experiencing the same issue here or is there some app that I've installed (I have the same app setup as I had earlier. All settings are the same)

Other than that, I have experienced no real problems ;)

Guest masterpfa
To days ago, the battery went from ~50% to 0 in 1-2h (from just being in my pocket). At the time, I was underground with bad reception so I thought it was from searching for a network. Yesterday, when I went to bed it had ~60% and I wouldn't really need my phone today so I thought that I could test it and see if it really drained faster. So, after a good night's sleep (12h :( I needed that!), when I woke up it had already drained. I don't know how fast it happened (since I was asleep) but I know that other roms, i.e. jnwhiteh's own AOSP, would at least have had some battery left after that.

Is there anyone else experiencing the same issue here or is there some app that I've installed (I have the same app setup as I had earlier. All settings are the same)

Other than that, I have experienced no real problems :D

I have not yet had 24hrs with this ROM yet, but other than the occasional slow response to the touch screen, which I shall reserve for further observation over the next 24hrs, I have not had any problems.

However I too have noticed battery drain (this too I shall keep an eye on).

Spare Parts, so far, only showing Wi-Fi as the main culprit no other obviously apparent culprits ;)

Edited by masterpfa

I have not yet had 24hrs with this ROM yet, but other than the occasional slow response to the touch screen, which I shall reserve for further observation over the next 24hrs, I have not had any problems.

However I too have noticed battery drain (this too I shall keep an eye on).

Spare Parts, so far, only showing Wi-Fi as the main culprit no other obviously apparent culprits ;)

I don't know why I hadn't already checked it, but I took a look into the battery usage in spare parts and it said 65% wifi (all time since "since boot" or "last unplugged" is useless after boot). However, I am 100% sure that the first time wifi was not switched on (it could still be the reception though).

The next time I know that I won't need the phone in the morning, I will try to do another test, but this time with everything turned off and network apps uninstalled :D

Guest masterpfa
I don't know why I hadn't already checked it, but I took a look into the battery usage in spare parts and it said 65% wifi (all time since "since boot" or "last unplugged" is useless after boot). However, I am 100% sure that the first time wifi was not switched on (it could still be the reception though).

The next time I know that I won't need the phone in the morning, I will try to do another test, but this time with everything turned off and network apps uninstalled :D

I must admit I never switch my Wi-Fi off, but prior to trying this ROM, this hadn't been an issue and I like most people was getting at least 24hrs on a charge, with my phone on 24/7 as well as the Wi-Fi. I use Y5, so when I am out off range, my Wi-Fi is turned off automatically. I have also had a look at the app "TOP" but still yet to see any unusual usage etc. ;)

Ok, here are some bugs/issues/things to consider:

1. Battery drain - indeed, as people already pointed out, there's an unexplained battery drain. even when the device is on standby.

2. Can't seem to find the option to turn off "Always on" for mobile network connection as I had on stock/MCR Hero. which means, mobile network is always on and draining battery as well.

3. Live wallpapers - works as said but none of them respond to touch, including those I downloaded from the market (which of course stated to respond to touch). Also, as already said, sometimes after going to standby and waking the device again, the wallpaper goes back to previous static wallpaper.

4. Email client is a little slow when refreshing manually.

5. speakers volume is a little low, can I use audio hack app?

6. Google goggles is force closing when analyzing but if you uninstall it and install again from market, it works perfectly - no issue, just for you to know if you want to fix that.

That's it for now.

Very small issues and again, this is the best 2.1 rom for Hero in my opinion...

Thanks.

1. Battery drain - indeed, as people already pointed out, there's an unexplained battery drain. even when the device is on standby.

2. Can't seem to find the option to turn off "Always on" for mobile network connection as I had on stock/MCR Hero. which means, mobile network is always on and draining battery as well.

3. Live wallpapers - works as said but none of them respond to touch, including those I downloaded from the market (which of course stated to respond to touch). Also, as already said, sometimes after going to standby and waking the device again, the wallpaper goes back to previous static wallpaper.

4. Email client is a little slow when refreshing manually.

5. speakers volume is a little low, can I use audio hack app?

6. Google goggles is force closing when analyzing but if you uninstall it and install again from market, it works perfectly - no issue, just for you to know if you want to fix that.

That's it for now.

Very small issues and again, this is the best 2.1 rom for Hero in my opinion...

Thanks.

1. Take a look in spareparts and see whats using all your battery

2. Search, this has been coved like 10 times already

3. Reported

4. Saying something is slow is not a bug report. It's just a feeling

6. Reported

Why does everybody think this is a whining threat? ;)

Guest jnwhiteh

Every ROM I have used has this issue. Stock, MCR, AOSP, Kagu, CKDroid. Everything. Some are worse than other, all of the 2.6.29 kernel ROMS are worse than the 2.6.27 ROMS. It happens..

This isn't an option. You've never had it on an AOSP ROM, and until I code it, you won't.

Guest FurryPotato

I'm using Louder Volume Hack app and it works fine with this ROM.

I'm sure there is still some battery drain issue with all tthese 2.0+ based roms.

Me, I'm waiting for my 3000mAh battery to arrive :-)

1. Take a look in spareparts and see whats using all your battery

2. Search, this has been coved like 10 times already

3. Reported

4. Saying something is slow is not a bug report. It's just a feeling

6. Reported

Why does everybody think this is a whining threat? :D

... I really don't understand the need to be so childish... do you feel a better person when you write "Why does everybody think this is a whining threat?" ? really?

I've thanked jnwhiteh twice already and third time was in the end of my issues/bugs/things to consider so I'm probably not whining... I use this rom out of choice and understanding this is the best android 2.1 rom for Hero yet, as I said 3 times already... read my previous post here before you're writing silly things like that... and grow up.

@jnwhiteh,

thanks for your reply.

Never said I had "always on" option on other AOSP roms ("as I had on stock/MCR Hero"), just asked if i'm missing something here...

The fact that things already been reported doesn't mean I shouldn't report them again. on the contrary! it makes people who have the same issue know they're not the only ones and helps you know on what bugs/issues you should concentrate and fix in newer versions (as they are more common/important)... at least that's how I see it.

Anyway, thanks again... ;)

Check your settings for wifi standby, when in wifi parameters, press menu then advanced. Select "when screen off" or something like that.

I've noticed that sometimes I have to check-uncheck a setting in order to really apply it. Out of the box, some options that are checked are not active until I uncheck and check them again. It's like the config file is created by doing that whereas it was not there before and so the setting had no effect. It reminds me of some pref panes under os x and a hackintosh that needed some toggling of settings before they worked ok... Remember there is no registry under linux, just config files.

Anyway I could be wrong.

EDIT: or maybe the config file is there but the necessary entry within it is not... which amounts to the same result.

Edited by Latoc

I'm using Louder Volume Hack app and it works fine with this ROM.

I'm sure there is still some battery drain issue with all tthese 2.0+ based roms.

Me, I'm waiting for my 3000mAh battery to arrive :-)

Thank you for your feedback about Louder volume hack! ;)

Check your settings for wifi standby, when in wifi parameters, press menu then advanced. Select "when screen off" or something like that.

I've noticed that sometimes I have to check-uncheck a setting in order to really apply it. Out of the box, some options that are checked are not active until I uncheck and check them again. It's like the config file is created by doing that whereas it was not there before and so the setting had no effect. It reminds me of some pref panes under os x and a hackintosh that needed some toggling of settings before they worked ok... Remember there is no registry under linux, just config files.

Anyway I could be wrong.

Thank you, that sounds interesting! I have now toggled to never and then back; I really hope this was the problem ;)

I will report back when I've had the time to test it again

Edited by Repp

Guest masterpfa
Thank you, that sounds interesting! I have now toggled to never and then back; I really hope this was the problem ;)

I will report back when I've had the time to test it again

+1

Likewise also checked my apps just to make sure I didn't have any rogue apps running

Edited by masterpfa

I've let the phone sleep for a while now a couple of times and every time when I start the screen, the wifi is already connected. Doesn't it normally take a few seconds?

Latoc, have you noticed any change in wifi behavior after doing this? To me it seems like it's always connected, even when the screen is off; this would actually explain the battery drain (and maybe also the fact that everyone isn't experiencing it).

Edited by Repp