disco custom kernel [v.b01]

Guest disc0

Ram goes to radio(phone radio) & other system stuff.

It's like buying a 1 TB external harddisk, after formatting to NTFS you find it only having 920 GB.

Okay, it means that 80% of the liquid's ram is used by the OS ? I had a samsung galaxy with 192 mo of ram and it had more or less the same amount of free ram (= 50 )

Is it a lack of optimization from Acer's part ?

Edited by ahsid

You see that's the thing. Companies don't list usable ram, they just list the ram itself.

Anyway, when you open a task manager & find 20 apps open, although you didn't open them your self, that's how Android operates. It opens (or pre-opens in this case) applications all the time to make your transition faster from app to app. It's basically like prefetch in windows Vista & 7.

Waiting for your custom kernel disc0!!

what i like about 2.x is that it displays the Kernel version and name ;) great work buddy...

OMG!

Time to try mapping up the driver-diffrences between 1.6 and 2.1 now so the drivers can be ported to 2.1 :-)

Guest drigerott
Okay, it means that 80% of the liquid's ram is used by the OS ? I had a samsung galaxy with 192 mo of ram and it had more or less the same amount of free ram (= 50 )

Is it a lack of optimization from Acer's part ?

109 mb is for radio ecc ecc.. 147mb is for system and app ;)

Good job Disc0!! If you can commit your changes I can also start looking into 1Ghz fix. Latest commit in git is almost one week old. And please add the paths to top post so they are easy to find.

http://gitorious.org/liquidproject

git clone git://gitorious.org/liquidproject/kernel.git

Again great job!!

/Brum

I will comit soon, and didn't add the git path here because this is the discussion to the custom kernel release, discussion to kernel source can be made here.

what about including BFS (Brain F*** Scheduler) into your kernel? should just be a matter of applying the patch from kon colivas.

from what i heard cyanogen did the same and it resulted in much better speed on g1, so why not on the liquid?

didn't google plan to use BFS in android anyways? does anybody know if that is true or in which version of android we can expect it?

I took a look into bfs and only can find the patch to 2.6.30, and this is 2.6.29 kernel :\ .. Maybe it could be "ported", but would give a hell of a work to gain little improvment :\ ..

OMG!

Time to try mapping up the driver-diffrences between 1.6 and 2.1 now so the drivers can be ported to 2.1 :-)

I don't know if it that its needed, if acer releases eclair in March they will need to release source too (: ..

so disc0, which day is your tomorrow :D 11/02/10 or 12/02/10?? since u posted 10/02/10 in my timezone !!

I'll be posting soon , hehe (: ..

disc0,would be nice a rom based onn last leaked with all your enanchements added!

It wont be needed any rom for now, as this is only a kernel release (boot.img).

Awesome disc0, thanks! Enjoy my beer, cheers (:

Just donated, awesome job, come on guys he deserves a beer.

(...)

Many thanks people (: ..

(...)

ps: bebe uma jola por mim ;)

Eu vou mesmo beber :( ..

I will drink it, that I'm sure :D ..

BTW, I will release it with max clock at 1Ghz, if someone don't wants it, tell me that I release another with 768Mhz max..

will 1Ghz be battery efficient? if it is there's no need for 768, if not, better 2 versions...

If it drains the battery, imho is much better to release a version with 1gHz and one with 768mHz ;)

A simple register change on boot can tweek liquid's max cpu speed. The problem is that it appears to be the bootloader that changes this register (or at least I'm almost shore, need to dig further).

I say this because with a simple click and reboot we could allow our phone to have different max speeds.

Ok, for now I'll release one version with 768Mh max (with "bootloader" setting the register for it)

and 1Ghz version (:

(...)

donation coming soon :D

Thanks (:

Edited by disc0

yes ;) 1Ghz maybe you can push it to 1,5Ghz :D

Well, i don't know about you but i don't want this thing to burst into flames in my hands!!!

The best we can have is 1.2Ghz but don't think is really needed.. Acer entered all info necessary like voltage in the freq table, so it seems they tested it, but batterry wamt last much time with that :S..

Guest D.Rosendahl

Great job disc0!

One thing I have been waiting for with custom kernals is wifi tethering.

Could you please compile it with CONFIG_NETFILTER and CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES?

dont worry about battery life im did some dalvik edits whiched improved battery about 10%, might not be much but I think I can get more if i figure out this background applications ;)

Guest designgears
Angio, will you do a new release based on the disc0's kernel and on a 1.6 Android?

Great work disc0. :D

All you have to do is flash Angio's custom rom and flash this custom boot.img ;)