Now that HTC Desire is official, Nexus One owners switch or not to switch?

Guest cezent

Guest jonny jon jon

hey all. I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm considering making the switch from my moto droid (reliable - but its a heavy, plain brick) to the nexus. I'd be doing it to run sense exclusively, since stock android doesn't do much for me.

My question: I have faith that sense updates will come frequently for n1 users (thanks paul - excellent work!), but what are the chances HTC stops this effort? Id hate to buy a handset, only to have the roms taken down before a beta / final. :( I doubt a desire for US will be coming anytime soon...

Edited by jonny jon jon

hey all. I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm considering making the switch from my moto droid (reliable - but its a heavy, plain brick) to the nexus. I'd be doing it to run sense exclusively, since stock android doesn't do much for me.

My question: I have faith that sense updates will come frequently for n1 users (thanks paul - excellent work!), but what are the chances HTC stops this effort? Id hate to buy a handset, only to have the roms taken down before a beta / final. :( I doubt a desire for US will be coming anytime soon...

The day HTC stops "leaking" ROMs or stops developers from making changes to their ROM, the day Android will be announced dead. :(

HTC (or any other manufacturers) get much more benefit from developers modified ROM and provide effectively secondary market customer support on their behalf for free. In fact, when i post questions to Google support forum regarding some of the functions not on stock Android, I was redirected by Google Employees answering those questions to either XDA or Modaco, so there we go :(

Guest jonny jon jon
The day HTC stops "leaking" ROMs or stops developers from making changes to their ROM, the day Android will be announced dead. :(

HTC (or any other manufacturers) get much more benefit from developers modified ROM and provide effectively secondary market customer support on their behalf for free. In fact, when i post questions to Google support forum regarding some of the functions not on stock Android, I was redirected by Google Employees answering those questions to either XDA or Modaco, so there we go :(

Truth. Both phones are made by HTC, so if a leaked rom = another HTC phone sale, why would they stop it?

I guess I was just thinking they might stop the hacking to get Euro consumers to pony up for a Desire instead of a Nexus - no profit sharing with Google that way. :(

Good to know that HTC appreciates the modding community! Sooooo tempted to get a Nexus now, since i don't want to wait for the Verizon Incredible.

Edited by jonny jon jon

I know I'm a bit late for the picnic (:(), but I notice that the RAM difference between the 2 phones is 64MB (mentioned on page 1).

Not saying anything certain, but the Hero quoted 288MB when it was released, yet only has a real 256MB for use. The 32MB difference turns out to be for the radio (source- service manual tech-specs). Perhaps that's where the 64MB comes from (maybe a larger, better radio?), since HTC seem to include radio RAM in their total. Maybe not though, just postulating. Either way, I reckon it's academic at such high values of RAM anyway, but it would be interesting to know if this is the case.

Sorry for going 'back' on the topic though.

Guest android_lovah

honestly, I don't want to switch to Desire from my sweet N1 :(

although, what I find sexy on the Desire are the following (and I was wondering if these can be ported to the N1):

- the new wall (done);

- the new browser (with the safari-like progress bar);

- flash 10.1 (or 4 light, whichever it is).

Guest lamabodo

Being one of the unlucky people to live in a country where the N1 is not available, I have a Bravo/Desire on preorder. Is it possible to see, from the leaked ROM, whether the Desire will be as easy to root as the N1? It would be a pest to order a Desire and find that it is unrootable... If so, I'd much rather venture forth and buy a N1 through a mail forwarding system.

-lb

Guest Mantisen
honestly, I don't want to switch to Desire from my sweet N1 :(

although, what I find sexy on the Desire are the following (and I was wondering if these can be ported to the N1):

- the new wall (done);

- the new browser (with the safari-like progress bar);

- flash 10.1 (or 4 light, whichever it is).

Well I think that the HTC-signed apps can only run under Sense so the browser will probably not appear. But as far as I know the Firefox team are on their way with a browser to Android and Adobe has announced that Flash will be available to Android 2.1 (or was it 2.x+?) devices pretty soon, hopefully that release will not be flash 4 light but have hardware acceleration working.

So you can probably check off all of the above in a month or so :(

Being one of the unlucky people to live in a country where the N1 is not available, I have a Bravo/Desire on preorder. Is it possible to see, from the leaked ROM, whether the Desire will be as easy to root as the N1? It would be a pest to order a Desire and find that it is unrootable... If so, I'd much rather venture forth and buy a N1 through a mail forwarding system.

-lb

From what I've read around in different forums no phone is unrootable :( Just look at the Milestone :( And hopefully HTC have noticed people don't like getting boxed in, because if they do get boxed in they will probably just buy a Nexus One and run the ported Sense UI on it! :(

-lb

It won't. The bootloader is locked.

P

Guest Mantisen
It won't. The bootloader is locked.

P

:(

But it has to be able to be unlocked?

I mean, even if no one has figured out how to do it yet it will probably get unlocked in time? :(

Cant expect it to go as fast as it did with the N1, which is the only phone to date to get rooted / unlocked before it's release? :(

I might just love you for replying so darn quickly and consisely. The N1 it is, then. :(

Google has purposely left the option opened for anyone to unload the bootloader (along with their warning messages quoting warranty conditions and blah blah blah...). Desire might be quite different from that aspect, I ve decided to stick with my N1 for this very reason as I figured no other phone will be more customised than N1, until perhaps when Nexus two releases..:(

:(

But it has to be able to be unlocked?

I mean, even if no one has figured out how to do it yet it will probably get unlocked in time? :(

Cant expect it to go as fast as it did with the N1, which is the only phone to date to get rooted / unlocked before it's release? :(

Well, look how long it's taken to do the Eris / Tattoo... doesn't bode well! Rest assured, i'll be a Desire on launch day and will be doing my best / pulling in all my contacts to get it opened up! :(

P

Guest Mantisen
Well, look how long it's taken to do the Eris / Tattoo... doesn't bode well! Rest assured, i'll be a Desire on launch day and will be doing my best / pulling in all my contacts to get it opened up! :(

P

True that, but would be a bummer for loads of people if it's unrootable. Hopefully some hackers sits down for a hackathlon as they did with the Milestone and fixes it.

Am I the only one not getting why not all phone companies does like Google and just ad a disclaimer to unlocking the bootloader and then lets people do what ever they want with their phones?

Am I the only one not getting why not all phone companies does like Google and just ad a disclaimer to unlocking the bootloader and then lets people do what ever they want with their phones?

because google want developers to be able to develop and contribute to android.

while htc just wants to sell phones :(

Guest theslam10
because google want developers to be able to develop and contribute to android.

while htc just wants to sell phones :(

Bingo. A bit different marketing there....and lets see who wins :(

Would you not just turn off Sense UI to do that?

its a bit more than just disabling it. you would have to uninstall and remove all residues. which is probably more complicated than flashing a rom without sense...

and imagine when, lets say, 2.5 comes out and htc is still stuck at 2.1...

it will be possible, just like its possible the other way round. will require a little modification, but not too much.

Guest DougEdey
simple question...will it be able to flash a ram from N1 to desire instead of the other way around? to put a plain android on the desire?

It'll probably be possible, but bear in mind the boot-loader will come locked by default on the Desire. Unlike the Nexus where it's dead-easy to unlock it and put the new recovery image on it

It'll probably be possible, but bear in mind the boot-loader will come locked by default on the Desire. Unlike the Nexus where it's dead-easy to unlock it and put the new recovery image on it

true... but hackers will find a way around this :(

Yes, but it will take time

And also the potential will be limited..Hero has probably been developed to an extreme degree, but still limited by the fact that there is no manufacturer support of sense UI beyond 1.5 at the moment.

Guest is77gal

so the Nexus is probably a better choice if you wanna flash often and try different types of rom...btw who would like to change his/hers N1 for an Omnia2 plus difference? :())probably no one

Guest PhonePersona

You guys obviously aren't paying attention.

Nowadays locked phone systems get hacked to pieces in under a month once they hit the street.

I had an HTC Hero before my Nexus and the thing that took the longest to hack was the SPL, which most of us wanted unlocked just so we could get rid of the ugly splash graphics (I had the one with T-Mobile G2 on it...Horrible) displayed at boot-up.

There's a global network of very talented and intelligent people working literally around the clock to solve these problems, so my friend if you wanna get a Desire, get one.

Chances are, any default security it comes with will be thwarted in short order.

The bootloader on the Nexus One DID come locked by default. We just knew what to do to get around it.

And with a disclaimer from the manufacturer stating that doing so would invalidate our warranty, Google covered their butts.

I don't see why the Desire would be any different. Heck, it gives them a reason to offer less support in fact :(

Regarding support for Sense UI - Common industry practice dictates that once something is released to the masses, there should then be support for it, so I'm not sure if I agree with Cezent. The truth of the matter is that Sense UI for 2.1 hasn't been officially released yet, but once it does, there will HAVE to be support for it unless HTC wants to be sued into obscurity.