Loading up the Desire ROM on the Nexus One (my findings so far)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hah, just discovered the mic doesn't work (when I put my main SIM back in and tried to have a call)! :S

Probably needs the appropriate driver from the N1 with the noise cancellation support etc... i'll look into it...

P

Guest Mantisen
Hah, just discovered the mic doesn't work (when I put my main SIM back in and tried to have a call)! :S

Probably needs the appropriate driver from the N1 with the noise cancellation support etc... i'll look into it...

P

Haha :D Well, let's hope thats an easy fix! Seeing how the rest of the ROM seems superb it would be a bummer to miss out on it due to the mic not working :D

Guest LatitudeZ

Nice work going there! Going to get myself an actual account if this turns out to be successful :D

Just a quick question: what if google releases an update after I have put the desire ROM onto my n1? Can i still use the update? Or am I stuck with the desire ROM and i wait for a desire update?

Nice work going there! Going to get myself an actual account if this turns out to be successful :D

Just a quick question: what if google releases an update after I have put the desire ROM onto my n1? Can i still use the update? Or am I stuck with the desire ROM and i wait for a desire update?

Of course you can update to another rom. the question is, if the cooks out there get sense working on new android versions. look at HTC, it takes nearly a half year to port sense to 2.1.

but definitely you can update as much as you want, even with custom desire rom flashed.

Guest metatron

You will be stick with the desire ROM, or you will have to revert to an updated N1 ROM.

Well, whaddayaknow, another leak... same files, different source. You know what that means. :D

If I can get the mic working, I'm gonna have something for you guys soon! :D If anyone has experience of where the mic drivers are held, hit up #modaco on irc.freenode.net.

P

Guest bahadur.choongh
When I do put it up, it'll be the usual deal, prebaked downloads plus an online kitchen.

P

Paul, your a life saver, thank you for taking your time and effort out during your holidays to help us Nexus One owners :D

Bought an ad free subscribtion as appreciation for your efforts and access to the kitchen.

When I do put it up, it'll be the usual deal, prebaked downloads plus an online kitchen.

P

Guest bahadur.choongh
Interesting, it seems at first glance as though Bravo and Passion radio images are identical, so the key to FM radio functionality isn't in there...?

P

Paul could you explain this kitchen thing, do i need to pay to have access of this software?

Paul could you explain this kitchen thing, do i need to pay to have access of this software?

No, of course not, 'prebaked downloads' let anyone install the ROM. Only kitchen access (customising the ROM by taking bits out you don't want etc.) needs a MoDaCo sub.

P

Guest bahadur.choongh
No, of course not, 'prebaked downloads' let anyone install the ROM. Only kitchen access (customising the ROM by taking bits out you don't want etc.) needs a MoDaCo sub.

P

cheers mate. So are you going to tell us how to put it on our phones. I'm new to all of this :D

Interesting, it seems at first glance as though Bravo and Passion radio images are identical, so the key to FM radio functionality isn't in there...?

P

Could it be the radios have different hardware configuration? Or hardware disabled on nexus one? Its strange they put a non functional radio in to begin with....

Thanks for the great work!!!

P

Sorry for the very very very stupid question for a monster like you, but you're trying the fm radio with the earphone in?

Thanks again for your fantastic job.

Sorry for the very very very stupid question for a monster like you, but you're trying the fm radio with the earphone in?

Thanks again for your fantastic job.

THAT'S IT! GENIUS!

Actually, i'm lying, of course I put the headphones in... :D

P

Guest frenchie746
Could it be the radios have different hardware configuration? Or hardware disabled on nexus one? Its strange they put a non functional radio in to begin with....

Thanks for the great work!!!

I was just thinking the exact same thing...

Guest bahadur.choongh
I thought i'd start a topic about loading up the Desire ROM on the Nexus One. I'm sure i'm not the only one that'll be doing it!

Findings so far (updated)...

- If you rebuild the boot image replacing the kernel it runs. I'm running my own custom kernel with himem and bits.

- The system.img doesn't fit on the N1 (!), it's nearly 200MB. I booted by moving some stuff off the system partition.

- The trackball works.

- The 4 bottom keys work.

- The proximity sensor works.

- The LED works.

- The light sensor works.

- The compass and G sensor work.

- The camera works fine and is great with face recognition and touch focus.

- The FM radio loads, but makes no sound / finds no stations it seems. Maybe we need Desire radio ROM?

- The build I have is watermarked - i've removed the obvious visual watermarks but no, you can't have this release - when I get a watermark free drop, yes!

- Flash 10.1 is included and works well.

- It's FAST!

- WiFi works

- Bluetooth works

- 800x480 video recording, camera maxes out at 3MP (fixed in later builds)

- Mic not yet working - likely related to the voice cancellation feature (not tried to fix this yet)

More to follow! :D

P

does the alarm work? :D

In the name of science (or something) I flashed the radio image from the Desire RUU to my Nexus One.

I'm pleased to say my device isn't dead and still gets service. Not tried the FM radio yet. :D

P

DO NOT FLASH THIS TO YOUR DEVICE!

I've packaged up the Bravo hboot in an update.zip for anyone who wants to reverse engineer it - it might give us a clue as to the partition sizes.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT FLASH THIS TO YOUR NEXUS ONE unless you're willing to brick it. There is a 99% chance this will happen and your device will be dead. Completely. It won't do anything. There will be no way back. Don't say I didn't warn you.

link

DO NOT FLASH THIS TO YOUR DEVICE!