MCR r22.1 archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest xplod420
Cyanogen's 5.0.6 is faster and eats up way less battery than the desire port.

You also get the benefit of almost any program/mod running on it.

either i am downloading a wrong rom, but from what i have seen there is not much apps in there, compared to desire rom.

Guest RatSon
The solution to using apps that have bad code is to stop supporting apps with bad code, not to enable the use of apps with bad code by covering up their deficiencies with app managers.

this is right, but how you do that?

Guest dr3minem
WOW

After months of using Live Wallpapers, I just tried using a standard wallpaper for the first time.

WOW

The scrolling in the programs menu was a HUNDRED times smoother.

Is that just my phone or does everyone see such a HUGE difference? (If so, Paul, any chance of an optimization?)

It doesn't make sense though because the wallpaper is not visible when the programs menu is up!!!

But the difference is literally night and day!

Yeah youre right, i noticed that the menu sliding up is extremely smooth. It also saves a significant amount of battery for me (well, about 30-60 minutes, no intense testing though) to the point that i decided to just not cook them in anymore.

Yes theyre nice eye candy, but so is a smooth menu.

Guest ez14u2nv
WOW

After months of using Live Wallpapers, I just tried using a standard wallpaper for the first time.

WOW

The scrolling in the programs menu was a HUNDRED times smoother.

Is that just my phone or does everyone see such a HUGE difference? (If so, Paul, any chance of an optimization?)

It doesn't make sense though because the wallpaper is not visible when the programs menu is up!!!

But the difference is literally night and day!

to

Yeah i noticed this too try flying android live wallpaper or plasma live wallpaper these two are SO SMOOTH (due no scrolling effect) and plasma is highly customizable for almost any color pattern.

Guest muncheese
this is right, but how you do that?

...Use an app, if you notice it sucks...don't use it? Meebo is a prime example. Everytime I used it, my battery time was nearly halfed. I don't use it anymore.

So....pay attention to what you do on the phone?

Guest Ducter
Nah. As Paul said, as soon as the other stuff is done. Remember, the actual Desire phone getting root is more important than the Nexus getting Desire. If you had a Desire you would want root before others were getting fancy ROMs. All in due time. Besides, you got to play with a ROM that was never designed to be on your phone. Not too bad. A production level ROM will be here sooner rather than later. My only wish is that others add hacks to Paul's Desire ROM. There is some work going on but nothing like what's being done with Cyan and the N1. That is just amazing to see everyone working to make the N1 sick. It must be hard for Paul to root all those phones and creates all these ROMs by himself.

Well.. some of the reasons why so much is for Cyan is...well..its stable. Its got a strong following because Cyan is faithful to a few devices. Not trying to improve the world if you will. I understand the Desire getting root, in fact I am glad for the people that have one. Thing is, this port for the Nexus is IMO worse than it was several alphas back...cant complain though as he didnt have to do any work on it at all...I have swapped back to Cyan anyways as I am one of the ones that use the bluetooth, I work in construction and in and out of trucks, various pieces of equipment I need a reliable bluetooth.

The ROM its self was great...just a few issues that dont work out for me. Based off Pauls postings prior to vacation, he had somethings for the Nexus that he was going to implement, and now..nothing till he has something. I have a hd2 as well, if I get a longing for Sense I can fire it up and get my fill.

Guest mkslt4

somewhat serious problem, i reflashed a new desire rom after erasing my userdata, cache, dalvik, sd partition (everything under the sun) and when i install r21 all the apps crash on boot! i cant access the market, cant access web browser. itll start up and thats it. HELP PLEASE!!!

i obviously have a nexus one, it an ATT model

Guest Sylar2010

Who said Cyaonogen rom eat less battery than Desire's one??

I never saw such a battery monster eater than CM, Desire rom is better specially if you use inters 800mv kernel...

Guest mk86

I never saw such a battery monster eater than CM, Desire rom is better specially if you use inters 800mv kernel...

i had CM 5.0.6 installed but I returned to modaco rom because of the "battery issue". my battery with CM was dead after 4(!!!) hours, reminded me of my good old G1..

Guest Sylar2010

From Paul's twitter it seems that the Legend official kernel has been unleashed...but not the Desire one :huh:

It looks like HTC doesn't want Paul to fully port the Desire to N1, could they never ever release it?

Guest elan85

Currently using CM 5.0.7 ... moderate browsing , heavy Twittering (yes, the official Twitter for Android is mega awesome!) and light SMS-ing for the last 11 hours - Battery at 48% .. Well maybe SetCPU helps in the during process , but i think the battery life is now significantly way more awesome than R21 & CM 5.0.6

Guest Brian L

Your using a different kernel on the Desire ROM port for nexus one? Is that helping the battery life and/or performance?

Guest muncheese

I consistently get better battery out of Cyanogen rom than I did with the desire rom.

Guest PeRKoniX
From Paul's twitter it seems that the Legend official kernel has been unleashed...but not the Desire one :blink:

It looks like HTC doesn't want Paul to fully port the Desire to N1, could they never ever release it?

Now, that's just cruel! :huh:

Maybe the source of Legend can help Paul figure out some stuff for the Desire port (like a BT fix for example). I can imagine some kernel parts of the Legend are the same on Desire? Just guessing here :P

Guest fuzio1963
he was asking about AutoKiller, which is not a regular task killer but a minfree manager. which improves overall performance. and otherwise i still believe that a task manager is needed to manually kill some processes, trust me :huh:

and please read faq at http://andrs.w3pla.net/autokiller/faq

believe me. i know what i am doing :P

Guest citronbitare
Your using a different kernel on the Desire ROM port for nexus one? Is that helping the battery life and/or performance?

Using other kernels (for example intersectravens, ivans uv-kernels) definetly helps battery life. In my case intersectravens hybridkernel (800mv version from 20100424) almost doubled battery life. I am on the Desire ROM and I only loose about 1% per hour on standby.

Guest izar
Using other kernels (for example intersectravens, ivans uv-kernels) definetly helps battery life. In my case intersectravens hybridkernel (800mv version from 20100424) almost doubled battery life. I am on the Desire ROM and I only loose about 1% per hour on standby.

Sorry, bit of an unrelated question to the power thread, but does this kernel have any further adverse effect on bluetooth? Meaning, does the "discoverable on" trick works on this one or not at all?

thanks

Guest citronbitare
Sorry, bit of an unrelated question to the power thread, but does this kernel have any further adverse effect on bluetooth? Meaning, does the "discoverable on" trick works on this one or not at all?

thanks

I don't use bluetooth myself. Perhaps you should try out the kernel yourself. It's relatively easy to switch kernels on the N1 and if you're not satisfied you can easily revert back. Just do a backup before you flash the new kernel. It is quiet usual that your N1 will be unstable until you haver rebooted a couple of times (but then it should settle down). This is normal as far as i have understood, because your hardware needs "to get used to" the lower voltage.

You can find instructions in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653598

I would recommend the conventional ZIP-format procedure. The update-zip solution never worked for me with the SenseUI-ROM.

Guest Brian L

If i flash the new kernel over, will it delete everything i have setup or will it not affect anything like that? Also how do i know which one to use.. (20100424 for example). I love this desire ROM and the battery life is one of the main problems that i have with it, anything to help that would be great.

Guest Hasibul
I don't use bluetooth myself. Perhaps you should try out the kernel yourself. It's relatively easy to switch kernels on the N1 and if you're not satisfied you can easily revert back. Just do a backup before you flash the new kernel. It is quiet usual that your N1 will be unstable until you haver rebooted a couple of times (but then it should settle down). This is normal as far as i have understood, because your hardware needs "to get used to" the lower voltage.

You can find instructions in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=653598

I would recommend the conventional ZIP-format procedure. The update-zip solution never worked for me with the SenseUI-ROM.

Question: What are your settings for the SetCPU? Because I always thought that an undervolted kernel would mean the CPU getting less power, in turn meaning the CPU wouldn't be getting the power it needs to run at max speeds.

Guest refine

I have used both CyanogenMod and R21 desire rom.

In my experience, CyanogenMod do have better battery life than that of the desire rom.

I have noticed that, the monitor is much brighter in the desire one than the cyanogen one when both of them are set to auto-brightness mode. This makes the phone much hotter and drains much more battery to browse web for the desire one.

It would be great if it could be a bit dimmer when it is set to auto-brightness for the coming desire rom.

Guest houstonblaney1
From Paul's twitter it seems that the Legend official kernel has been unleashed...but not the Desire one :huh:

I also read today that HTC released the Incredible kernel. Also don't know if this helps the cause.

On a side note, I ran into a dude with an Incredible today. He tried to "show me" the awesomeness of Sense. I whipped out my trusty Nexus One and simply replied: "I've had that jazz for months now. MoDaCo bitch!"