MCR r22.1 archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest originalgoast

anyone else running into the phones messaging app crashing quite a bit once messages are received or when trying to send them.

Guest cortez
If you can get your Exchange Administrator to put you in the 'PIN Policy Exception' group in the mobile device settings on your Exchange server, you may be able to get away with not using a pin.
@PhonePersona - i'm sincerely grateful to you for this tip! i never once considered this an option. so... i called the Admin, asked to put me in the PIN Policy Exception Group, deleted and re-added my account (still got the message that my account required a pin, clicked OK) and my email started downloading to my phone! no PIN required! yeah bay-bee! now i can use the pattern lock method to lock my phone. oh yeah, thank you for helping me see the forest through the trees!!!!

Guest Shmoopty
Does anyone go through battery power issues? My battery drains to zero in a matter of 8-9hrs just in standby without using it. Anyone experience this? It is much better when I turn off the "Mobile Network", but leaving it on to sync the services doesn't make the battery last....didn't experience this will stock. Anyone has any recommendation...

Yes, I think you're experiencing what most people are. That's pretty typical for a pre-release software schedule.

A developer like HTC is going to see what functionality they can cook up first, and only near the end of their schedule address speed and energy issues.

If this alpha release seems more like a beta or release-candidate, you have Paul to thank as well as the other devs Paul has mentioned.

For your particular usage, check out Settings->About Phone->Battery->Battery use. It will probably tell you that the battery is dying due to wifi, bluetooth, or screen brightness...all things that can be regulated until a more refined HTC Sense build can be acquired.

I apologize I couldn't flip through the whole 96 pages if something similar was already posted.

Paul mentioned this earlier... and I had never noticed before... but the *bottom* of these pages have a search feature for the specific thread you're viewing.

Guest JonnyRockets
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I noticed that some HTC Widgets, such as Friend Stream, doesn't sync. It shows the syncing activity though. For me, it was with facebook. Didn't try twitter nor flickr.

does anyones facebook friendstream work? mine wont load in alpha 9, thanks

As of 2:48pm yesterday my Friend Stream stopped working. It gives the timestamp in settings that it synced but hitting update repeatedly does nothing.

- I removed and re-added the widget.

- I used TaskKiller to kill the Friend Stream.

- I rebooted my phone.

- I removed my Facebook account and re-added it.

- Facebook contacts can sync fine. The status updates are old though.

- The stock Facebook app works perfectly fine.

- But the Friend Stream just completely REFUSES to update.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

As in the quotes above, multiple people have seen this, but weeks ago. And no one ever responded with answers.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest lindarose84
anyone else running into the phones messaging app crashing quite a bit once messages are received or when trying to send them.

Same here. The messaging app is spazzing out. All of my messages are mixed up- as in I will see messages sent from X under messages sent from Y and then when I try to reply to X I reply to Y instead (hope that's not confusing). I always have to compose a new message in order to send messages correctly otherwise if I try to reply in the message stream, the app force closes. Very annoying. Hoping build 12 resolves this.

Guest cortez
Same here. The messaging app is spazzing out. All of my messages are mixed up- as in I will see messages sent from X under messages sent from Y and then when I try to reply to X I reply to Y instead (hope that's not confusing). I always have to compose a new message in order to send messages correctly otherwise if I try to reply in the message stream, the app force closes. Very annoying. Hoping build 12 resolves this.
here's my workaround: i grabbed the latest Mms.apk from Cyan's latest release and pushed it to /system/app. once pushed to the phone, i set it (and the stock Android Contacts.apk that i also pushed to phone) as the default apps. no more time/date sync issues and the FC's have occurred with much less frequency. FC would occur mostly on send activity, but once it recovers, it would send the message again without problems.

Guest xrEminiscex

hey guys is anybody having problems with a bunch of force closings? i wiped before i flashed and did titanium restore and it works fine but when i reboot the phone i just get bombarded with a bunch of FC.. am i doing something wrong here? or is that a known issue? please help i really want to use this rom.. i know its alpha but from what i read in this thread its a pretty useable. thanks in advance :]

Guest lindarose84
here's my workaround: i grabbed the latest Mms.apk from Cyan's latest release and pushed it to /system/app. once pushed to the phone, i set it (and the stock Android Contacts.apk that i also pushed to phone) as the default apps. no more time/date sync issues and the FC's have occurred with much less frequency. FC would occur mostly on send activity, but once it recovers, it would send the message again without problems.

Thanks! If this issue isn't resolved in 12, I will have to rely on your method. Text messaging is my life line and I've felt completely handicapped not being able to use it properly.

Guest kkempe
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm REALLY getting a little irritated with all these folks whining and crying for Alpha 12.

And after Alpha 12, they'll be screaming for 13...and on and on it goes.

I'm not trying to flame anyone, but I'm trying to read through some useful information and help resolve issues and I'm kinda worn out on all the 'We want ROM' cries that are smattered all over this forum.

"When will it be ready?"

"Why can't we have the ROM now?!!!"

"I want it now"

Seriously guys?!!!!

When its ready, you'll know.

You know how I know this?

Because Paul will put it up online and the kitchen the same as he ALWAYS has!

He's not sitting on any secret Alpha 12 stashes, okay?

If you don't like it, go back to the default ROM that came with the phone. Or better yet, wait a few MONTHS for the actual desire phone and ROM to be released and then try sorting through the kernel and recompiling the code yourself.

See how you like them apples.

Your lack of understanding....and patience does not constitute an emergency on his part.

finally someone was brave enough to tell it openly. I try to avoid to post here as normally I visit the site per nexus. so I look if there is any updated headline and otherwise I leave the forum. To much crap insides the normally interesting threads. So I'm getting sleepy to scroll that much and try to sort out all the whining and crying inside. Maybe there should be some moderator who guide this threads a bit.

Paul what about giving some of the "old", honourable members moderator access, so they could keep clean the technical threads. Whining should be banned to chit chat forums... :(

Paul, may i know how do you fix camera app to support 5mp ?

thanks

I reversed the Camera APK's dex file with baksmali, tweaked the code and recompiled it with smali.

P

Thanks! If this issue isn't resolved in 12, I will have to rely on your method. Text messaging is my life line and I've felt completely handicapped not being able to use it properly.

The kitchen has the old messaging app in as an option.

P

Guest DougEdey

Is there anyway to get facebook NOT to sync all contacts but ONLY the contacts in my address book? I get the option on the stock ROM but not this one...

Guest ugomor1970

Hi paul ,

I have a problem from dalvik-cache , it is full

on my nexus one i have the latest alpha 11 with A2SD option ,

there is a way for to transfer the dalvik-cache to the sd ?

Because i tried with the option in recovery ( move app+dalv to sd)

after i have the dalvik in both cache but on the nexus one always full

can you help me ?

Guest tralivali

Why have I no root here?

There is graphical su app.

But there's not /system/xbin/su.

Graphical SU app hangs everytime it runs with empty black screen.

:(

Guest DougEdey
Why have I no root here?

Old issue, turn on USB Debugging in settings

Guest PeRKoniX
Why have I no root here?

I also have issues with some su applications. Wifi tether app is a su app for example and here I do get a nice graphical su dialog... but a few days ago I installed the TrackballColorNotify app (post #1860) and this app gives me a black su dialog like you describe. I don't know what the differents is between the two su dialogs...

edit: I'm gonna try solution from previous post :( (enable USB debugging)

Edited by PeRKoniX

Guest SwedBear
Hey Paul...Unfortunately, the Flash still isn't syncing with the picture capture...Effectively rendering it useless..

Irrelevant to this, Because of the work you've done, I've been able to mothball my iPhone...

You have my gratitude...

Mike

My flash seems to go off correctly in Alpha 11 (this is the first alpha I installed and did full wipe and format of sd first). Just tried to take a photo under my desk and the flash went off fine. I'm going to see if I can do it while the phone is busy doing lots of other stuff to see if it might be a CPU-issue.

I did get the problem with the screen turning black suddenly when in camera app but pressing the top button a few times fixed that.

I can't get either FriendsFeed or Footprints to work at all. In Footprints when I click on it it just briefly shows a box and then goes back. Frendsfeed doesn't add anything even though facebook is set up.

I was impressed that the browser now can see most Flash-content. I tested on our site and most of our flash games worked. Our flash videoplayer worked but did not show any video. We stream from Flash-servers in mp4.

Guest LilRedzMD

Good Morning (Where I am) Paul,

Will there be a Alpha 12 Release Today? And Is There a Updated List of Enhancements in this Upgrade of The ROM?

Guest Isaac D. Lim

I apologize to the forum if this is a n00bish question, but how do I update my device currently running Alpha 5 to the latest one? Do I just put the ZIP on my SD card and use recovery mode to flash it? Is a wipe required?

Thanks.

Guest LilRedzMD
I apologize to the forum if this is a n00bish question, but how do I update my device currently running Alpha 5 to the latest one? Do I just put the ZIP on my SD card and use recovery mode to flash it? Is a wipe required?

Thanks.

Yes put the Zip file on the ROOT of your SD...Rename the Zip file to (update) and then when you go into recovery mode do a Factory Reset Wipe and then flash the update from your SD Card....and there you go...

Yes put the Zip file on the ROOT of your SD...Rename the Zip file to (update) and then when you go into recovery mode do a Factory Reset Wipe and then flash the update from your SD Card....and there you go...

No need to rename the file imo

Guest DougEdey
I renamed the Zip File to avoid any type of confusion...

It shows the full filename and since the first word is alphaXX it's easy to switch levels :( When I go to a new ROM I keep the old one & cyanogen on the SD Card just incase it buggers up

Guest Docmjldds
He's not sitting on any secret Alpha 12 stashes, okay?

If you don't like it, go back to the default ROM that came with the phone. Or better yet, wait a few MONTHS for the actual desire phone and ROM to be released and then try sorting through the kernel and recompiling the code yourself.

See how you like them apples.

Your lack of understanding....and patience does not constitute an emergency on his part.

I 100% second this post. Users here expecting instantaneous results with "experimental or not ready for prime time code" need to get a life. Go back to stock Rom and wait for some final release. Anyone here is already "hopefully" using some sort of recovery tools to get them back to a setup that should work for them. Constant whining for some future release is basically that.....whining. Installing an Alpha or Beta, and reporting issues one sees is to be expected. Asking when the next release is "finally" going to be posted is an insult to the intelligence of Paul and any of the other developers here that are knee deep in trying to help all of us here just wanting to have the latest and greatest to use on our current hardware.