MCR r22.1 archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest misticjeff
slightly confused on the release timeframe. your post at Xda says Monday, but this post implies it will be released sooner. or, it could be my imagination, lol

I'm surprised Paul can remember his first name, let alone what he posts in two separate forums... It'll get here when it does... and in Forrest Gump's best voice "that's all I have to say about that"

Guest cortez
I'm surprised Paul can remember his first name, let alone what he posts in two separate forums... It'll get here when it does... and in Forrest Gump's best voice "that's all I have to say about that"
i know it will get here when it does mr gump! just asking for clarification....not asking to hurry up.

Guest Docmjldds
Seriously, I have no idea what you just said.

Its not matter of 'wanting' your number to show up in anyone's caller ID, its a matter of 'expecting' a call made using Google Voice to use your Google Voice number/line to make the call, not your cellular provider number.

Now this might not be a big deal to some, but it is to me.

I buy credits to make long distance calls on Google Voice, so when I make calls using the application, I expect to use those credits to make the calls and save money.

I make a lot of calls to Africa and T-mobile is NOT my friend in this regard.

So if you have a solution that works, please let me know.

<<So if you have a solution that works, please let me know.

One more time. Did you even bother to read my post. The caller ID tells ONE that Google Voice makes the call. IOW, when I go thru this scenario and choose #2 after Google Voice Robot says no messages, I can enter a phone number to call The Google Voice Robot than says to me, "This is a Free call". IOW, it's Google Voice service that is making the call. I would hazard a guess, that if you entered a country code and number, the Google Voice Robot would tell you how much the call is and also, you would see the credits you have used or left if you logged on to a PC and looked at Google voice account. Instead of yakkiing at me you don't understand what I said, TRY what I said. Call your Google Voice number and enter your 4 digit pin code, then listen to the prompts, and see what happens when you enter a number to another country. Google Voice help online shows countries as well as costs to call those countries using their service. It would NOT be TMobile that make the call. I was ONLY saying caller ID would prove that it was Google Voice service making that call for you. If I am wrong, then my sincere apologies for trying to help. Have a good one ion any case. PS...you can hang up/end the call before making the call if you think I am wrong.

Edited by Docmjldds

Guest JonnyRockets
I use Google Voice. I read the following a while back and this procedure works for me. The main issue it appears for users here is they want THEIR google voice number to show in the caller ID of the phone/person they are calling. Please correct me here if I am wrong.

Yes that is correct. Caller ID is the issue.

Anyways, as I read earlier and I verify, this works for the prior statement of caller ID. Use your phone to call your own voice mail number. Enter the 4 digit pin code that should have been setup. When the google voice robot says no waiting messages, it asks if you want to place a call press 2. You then enter the number you want to call followed by pound sign and Google Voice will call that number and Caller ID for the Google call you are now making shows up on the called number. Really only takes a few extra seconds overall to do this. Hope that helps.

Why go through all that hassle?

100000000000000000x easier to just go to google.com/voice................

85521806.png

Click contacts, click who you want to call, and bam, you're done.

Hell, you can even change your UIString to iPhone (*see below) and use the "pretty" iPhone web-optimized version:

63109594.png

*Type about:debug in address bar and click go. Menu -> Settings -> UIString.

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest Shmoopty
Why go through all that hassle?

Hell, you can even change your UIString to iPhone (*see below) and use the "pretty" iPhone web-optimized version:

*Type about:debug in address bar and click go. Menu -> Settings -> UIString.

FWIW, I'm happy you pointed out the UIString technique. It was news to me.

Thanks.

Guest nexvision
FWIW, I'm happy you pointed out the UIString technique. It was news to me.

Thanks.

You would think google would give android the nicest UI for all there apps. pffft

Guest Isaac D. Lim

How do I update A11 to A12? I'm currently still on the ERE27 radio, and if I'm not wrong, to upgrade I should upgrade the radio to ERE36 right?

Guest PhonePersona
Maybe you're misunderstanding google voice? It's basically a calling card. As someone who calls out of the country alot, you must be used to using calling cards, no?

LOL

Yeah, you're absolutely right.

Its not a problem with the ROM, its my misunderstanding of Google Voice.

But now I get it. Its basically a calling card.

Here I was thinking it was so much more than that!

I've been such a fool.

Excuse me a second while I go throw out my MBA in Information Systems and Information Security certifications <_<

Guest JonnyRockets
You would think google would give android the nicest UI for all there apps. pffft

Well we get a built-in app that comes standard on N1's <_<

(The fact that it doesn't work properly to be able to call out with Google Voice as caller ID when using a hacked Desire Sense UI ROM in alpha stage weeks (or months) before the phone that's actually supposed to have the Sense UI is out on the market is not Google's fault :mellow:

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest PhonePersona
<<So if you have a solution that works, please let me know.

One more time. Did you even bother to read my post. The caller ID tells ONE that Google Voice makes the call. IOW, when I go thru this scenario and choose #2 after Google Voice Robot says no messages, I can enter a phone number to call The Google Voice Robot than says to me, "This is a Free call". IOW, it's Google Voice service that is making the call. I would hazard a guess, that if you entered a country code and number, the Google Voice Robot would tell you how much the call is and also, you would see the credits you have used or left if you logged on to a PC and looked at Google voice account. Instead of yakkiing at me you don't understand what I said, TRY what I said. Call your Google Voice number and enter your 4 digit pin code, then listen to the prompts, and see what happens when you enter a number to another country. Google Voice help online shows countries as well as costs to call those countries using their service. It would NOT be TMobile that make the call. I was ONLY saying caller ID would prove that it was Google Voice service making that call for you. If I am wrong, then my sincere apologies for trying to help. Have a good one ion any case. PS...you can hang up/end the call before making the call if you think I am wrong.

Seriously dude.

Lets not make this more than it is.

Its ALREADY been established earlier on in this post (I've read every page, have you?) that the Alpha ROM in its current iteration (and probably since Alpha 9 or so) doesn't support Google Voice integration using the Google Voice APP.

Everyone who can read on this forum is (or ought to be) aware of the workarounds. They aren't that many.

Someone (I won't name names) mentioned that they had Google Voice integration working properly on Alpha 12 and another someone (<_<) asked if they would verify that it was working as it should.

And that's where you chimed in.

I appreciate you being a good contributor to this forum (keep up the good work) and I love a healthy debate, I honestly do...but I'm really not one for beating a dead horse . And to be frank, your commentary was also confusing to me.

My whole work day is basically spent solving problems (and maybe yours is too) and finding workarounds for stuff that isn't working as they should.

And that's all well and good.

When it comes to my phone, I'm a bit less flexible in certain regards and for now, I'm trying to find out if there's a way to get the software to work as is expected. It is my understanding that, workarounds aside, IT DOES NOT!

That's why I'm using a variant of Cyanogen's ROM, even though I much prefer Paul's work.

Now I'm not blaming anyone for this. I understand the SDLC enough to appreciate that alphas and betas come with many disclaimers and caveats.

So, I'll say it again.

If you've found a way to get this to work, I'm all ears (or eyes, or whatever) but if you haven't, perhaps you can read (or reread) all the posts to see where I'm coming from.

If not, lets agree to disagree and move on.

It's Saturday and I got some hard partying to do.

Guest carlson8

Hey guys,

Been using alpha 11 all week, and it rocks. I'd always read that the Sense UI was amazing, and now I see why it gets such rave reviews. Kudos to Paul for all his hard work on this.

Quick question I was hoping someone could answer - I've noticed that with the htc mail app, I sometimes get trackball notifications with new mail, and sometimes do not.

My sense from reading a lot of this thread is that this behavior is different than what others have noticed - is that correct? Are most of you not getting trackball notifications at all?

Guest Docmjldds

<<Why go through all that hassle?

It really takes maybe 30 -45 seconds and if the person you want to call is not in the contacts, then this is an alternative. I knew about the about:debug. I was offering a second method that would work. That said, no ones arm is being twisted here to use an Alpha Rom, or even Beta if it still is an issue. At least it works with alternatives. More that I can say for other issues, such as getting the camera to work. No, I'm not complaining about that. If I absolutely need the camera, I simply run the Recovery, Flash Cyano Mod 5.0.4.1 version that is the latest. Since you have to wipe when going back and forth between Roms, it's a bit of a nuisance, but again, you won't here a peep out of me.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to say my method was a better method. I was only offering an alternative and basically the logic of caller ID to show the why it was Google Voice service actually doing this as well as offering a means where a call was being made that did not have a contact already made up. If a spur of the moment issue required one to make a quick call, this works. Anyways, This Forum is meant for ideas to be put out there for all. I would never "bite the hand that feeds me" as in jumping on anyone trying to promote a fix for an issue, especially an issue caused by ones choice of ROM to use.

Off my soap box...... <_<

Edited by Docmjldds

Guest Docmjldds

<<And to be frank, your commentary was also confusing to me.

Again, sorry if I confused you or anyone. I basically added my 2c because there was a post asking for everyones input, I thought on the subject. I saw a user complain that there was no means for him to use Google Voice with this Alpha Rom. I read about the about:debug many moons ago. Why this user didn't know about the debug option, I can't answer. I only offered an alternative and was just trying to use logic to show. I will end this by basically staying out of heated debates. That said, I felt my reply was warranted since the user basically appeared to come to the conclusion that Google Voice was 100% crippled with this ROM, and that my reply was basically off base. Anyways, Tired of beating a dead horse as you say. Good night.....

Guest TJ Calbert
I use Google Voice. I read the following a while back and this procedure works for me. The main issue it appears for users here is they want THEIR google voice number to show in the caller ID of the phone/person they are calling. Please correct me here if I am wrong. Anyways, as I read earlier and I verify, this works for the prior statement of caller ID. Use your phone to call your own voice mail number. Enter the 4 digit pin code that should have been setup. When the google voice robot says no waiting messages, it asks if you want to place a call press 2. You then enter the number you want to call followed by pound sign and Google Voice will call that number and Caller ID for the Google call you are now making shows up on the called number. Really only takes a few extra seconds overall to do this. Hope that helps.

i agree and i have done this in the past. it is sometimes a hassle when you dont know the number your calling <_< haha. but thanks for your suggestion

Guest TJ Calbert
LOL

Yeah, you're absolutely right.

Its not a problem with the ROM, its my misunderstanding of Google Voice.

But now I get it. Its basically a calling card.

Here I was thinking it was so much more than that!

I've been such a fool.

Excuse me a second while I go throw out my MBA in Information Systems and Information Security certifications <_<

Oh wait? google voice.... isn't.... my hope and dreams.... all is lost... it is no longer worth being an ambassador to google for google voice, and other apps....

all hope is lost, i too will have to throw away all knowledge and degrees. such a disapointment i have been led to think it was something different.

google... what... have.... you... done....

*wimpers*

...just a calling card....

Haha :mellow: i like google voice. honestly the best thing i have ever used by google.... (aside from every other one of there freaking amazing products INCLUDING the android OS)

i should make that google voice's new slogan ---->

Google voice

...just a calling card, nothing more....

Guest ranblv
How do I update A11 to A12? I'm currently still on the ERE27 radio, and if I'm not wrong, to upgrade I should upgrade the radio to ERE36 right?

I still use the ERE27 and I updated to A12 without any problem.

Unless I see some issues that need fixing I am staying put with the current radio version.

Guest Bay Harbor Butcher

Will Alpha13 have trackball colored notification in succession or just it will only notify the first notification?

Because in Cyanogen rom if you receive a sms and then a email it blinks only with sms color not showing you got email..

Thanks

Trackball in succession is a) causing battery problems atm and <_< not a straightforward implementation in Desire. So not, not yet.

P

Guest ranblv

I just saw there is a new radio up, is it safe to just copy the zip file from http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...insecure-himem/

the one listed as "EPE54B / 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2 radio - update zip format" is it safe to just copy it to the SD root, boot into recovery and flash the zip file?

Now I have ere27 and alpha12 desire rom installed.

Edited by ranblv

Guest Bay Harbor Butcher
Trackball in succession is a) causing battery problems atm and <_< not a straightforward implementation in Desire. So not, not yet.

P

Clear as usually..

Another question about Alpha version..does "services.jar" trick for showing percentage charge in battery icon work?

Is is posted in Cyano forum..created by Canadiancow and it looks like:

batty.jpg

Guest xkonni
Clear as usually..

Another question about Alpha version..does "services.jar" trick for showing percentage charge in battery icon work?

Is is posted in Cyano forum..created by Canadiancow and it looks like:

batty.jpg

but if you read a little more, this is just a photoshopped example on how the guy would like it to look <_<

Guest Bay Harbor Butcher
but if you read a little more, this is just a photoshopped example on how the guy would like it to look <_<

It is not photoshopped..it is a screen from my N1!

Here another one just taken..it is simple to do..just connect your phone in ADB and install services.jar file..

batt2.png