[ROM] Liquid Community ROM v1.7.3 [27/07/10]

Guest behnaam

Guest CallahanSWE
Unfortunately 1.2.3 is terribly slow. Everything is much slower and laggy. 1.2.2 is much better.

I do not share your experience with 1.2.3!

However am I not able to send MMS!

Guest casper326
Unfortunately 1.2.3 is terribly slow. Everything is much slower and laggy. 1.2.2 is much better.

I also flashed 1.2.3 from 1.2.2

I feel 1.2.3 is faster than 1.2.2.

If enabled the APPS2SD --DATA, the speed really slow like hell.....

Guest teunke99

Hi,

do you mean enabling APPS2SD with or without DATA (being moved to SD)?

thx

Guest linuxluver
This ok, but i wanna know if for a correct work of it must to stay active on background or i can kill it?

And also this drain more battery or it the same if i not use setcpu?

Thanks

I don't know how you use your phone, so it is difficult to say. CPU usage is only one factor in battery life. Other factors are screen brightness, wireless usage - including all wifi / BT / phone / mobile data / GPS.

Generally, if the CPU is running more slowly than would be the default without SetCPU, then you will save battery. But that may be at the cost of the phone being slower to respond to incoming calls.

I leave the app running in the background, for what it is worth.

Be brave! Experiment with it. Find out....then report back to us here with your experiences. You won't break anything. It cant do any harm.

Guest linuxluver
Hi,

do you mean enabling APPS2SD with or without DATA (being moved to SD)?

thx

I flashed 1.2.3 over 1.2.2. It seemed to have to re-boot a couple of times before it settled down.

I already had apps2sd on. But Dalvik and data were still on sdcard.

I have left dalvik on internal storage, but have since moved data to sdcard with "apps2sd on --data".

This freed up another 38MB of internal storage - taking me from 82MB this morning to 120MB free.

I have tested the sdcard performance on the Acer Liquid and seen read times of more than 9MB/sec.....almost double the best on my HTC Magic. The faster CPU on the Liquid seems to really make a difference to sdcard I/O.....at least for reading. Writing is not so much better.....about 5-6MB/sec (4.5MB/sec on HTC Magic).

When using apps2sd, you should leave your phone alone for a couple of minutes after booting it up. Let everything load, all the startup tasks be performed and the data written.....if any. Mainly this allows the App Tray icons to populate....and that takes about 30 seconds if you have over 100 apps installed.

Once that is done, the phone should perform just fine and run very smoothly. It just needs that extra minute or so at start up to sort itself out.

It's running very well here. Overall v1.2.3 is running just fine. Not slow at all......but I turn animations off. They serve no practical purpose at all and consume resources. Eye candy is fine but I don't let it get in the way of more important things. Besides, I have many themes with Open Home or GDE Home. I have lean, functional eye candy. :-)

Edited by linuxluver

Guest linuxluver

Do you have a Class 6 micro sdcard? If not, then get one. It is the best way to run Apps2SD, it also helps all access to the sdcard by any app. Just accessing your photos in the Gallery - it speeds up ALL access to the sdcard. Faster writing can make your camera more reponsive.

Class 6 can be read by the phone at almost 10MB/sec (I have seen 9.8MB/sec read speeds copying files from sdcard to my Linux system). When using Apps2SD the *minimum* should be Class 4 microSD.

If you have Class 2, then it will only do about 2MB-3MB / second......usually....and therefore be much slower than it would be with a faster sdcard.

If you don't know, then power off your phone and pull out the sdcard. You may need something to magnify the small printing on it. You should see a 2, 4 or 6 inside a circle.

Edited by linuxluver

Guest casper326
Do you have a Class 6 micro sdcard? If not, then get one. It is the best way to run Apps2SD, it also helps all access to the sdcard by any app. Just accessing your photos in the Gallery - it speeds up ALL access to the sdcard. Faster writing can make your camera more reponsive.

Class 6 can be read by the phone at almost 10MB/sec (I have seen 9.8MB/sec read speeds copying files from sdcard to my Linux system). When using Apps2SD the *minimum* should be Class 4 microSD.

If you have Class 2, then it will only do about 2MB-3MB / second......usually....and therefore be much slower than it would be with a faster sdcard.

If you don't know, then power off your phone and pull out the sdcard. You may need something to magnify the small printing on it. You should see a 2, 4 or 6 inside a circle.

CLASS 4 or CLASS 6 is not a issue for APPS2SD... the LIQUID sd card reading speed only reach CLASS 4.

I just enabled davik to SD.

Behnaam have mentioned that if the APPS2SD --DATA is enabled. The liquid will become lag...

So everyone need to be patient, we will have a better APPS2SD later... :)

Thanks Behnaam, you are a great Rom developer~ ;)

Guest malez
CLASS 4 or CLASS 6 is not a issue for APPS2SD... the LIQUID sd card reading speed only reach CLASS 4.

Behnaam have mentioned that if the APPS2SD --DATA is enabled. The liquid will become lag...

So everyone need to be patient, we will have a better APPS2SD later... :P

Thanks Behnaam, you are a great Rom developer~ :(

As I have written I have made all that was necessary to move data to sd but it will be very laggy. That's what I have seen in all of my tests.

The reason is that data/data is red/written really often but data/app is only used in reading. That's why I don't advice to move data/data to sd.

You say we will have a better apps2sd later. As speed is relative to hardware, I don't think it would be possible. That's the same as if you were telling that swap on hard disk will become as fast as ram memory (even if data is a yaffs filesystem on an internal flash storage, i/o rates are not the sames, as ext fs on external sd)

Edited by malez

Guest Quipeace
Can we get overclocked cpu in next lcr relase? I want to play asphalt 5, but it lags too much. Overclocked cpu,please.

Has been said many times before, but I'll just say it again:

As long as we don't have the source, it can't be done.

Anyway, 1.2.2 is running great here :P

Guest malez

Yes 1.2.3 is faster, and shoud use less battery also. I have changed some kernel parameter that may have positives effetcs.

Don't enable data on sd until you really need it (and you won't !). First Apps, then dalvik, finally data. Move only if you need space.

Guest malez
As I understand 1.2.3 is not enabling any data to SD card by default, or do I need to turn them off?

If you have use "apps2sd on", only apps are on sd. If you have use --data option, you have moved data also

Try "apps2sd status" to know what is stored on phone and what is stored on sd.

By default (if you have not lauched apps2sd) everything is on the phone

Guest mirox3m
If you have use "apps2sd on", only apps are on sd. If you have use --data option, you have moved data also

Try "apps2sd status" to know what is stored on phone and what is stored on sd.

By default (if you have not lauched apps2sd) everything is on the phone

So it seems this is not the reason for slow down, which I am experiencing. I saw there is a newewr 1.2.3. Is it different?

Guest linuxluver

So everyone need to be patient, we will have a better APPS2SD later... :P

Thanks Behnaam, you are a great Rom developer~ :(

I did the opposite. I kept Dalvik on the internal storage and put data on sdcard. My thinking is that the Dalvik cache is the place where verified and optimised DEX files are kept to save time aggregating classes and verifying and optimizing the DEX files......which allows apps to load faster and more reliably. But data is used once the app is loaded....and not as critical for smooth operation of the phone.

I'm curious. Why do you say the Liquid can't go faster than Class 4? I have seen it being read at almost 10MB / sec....presumably through the hardware in the phone that supports access to the sdcard. I would appreciate a pointer to the technical document stating this as a certain fact. I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I want to find out more. I have seen many things asserted in forums that prove to be more subtle when one investigates all the details. Presumably if you make this assertion it is based on something concrete? Thanks. :-)

Guest linuxluver
So it seems this is not the reason for slow down, which I am experiencing. I saw there is a newewr 1.2.3. Is it different?

A newer v1.2.3? I can find only one v1.2.3. Where is there another one?

Apps2sd only works with v1.2.2 and v1.2.3. The Apps2sd in versions before v1.2.2 was broken.

In v1.2.2 Apps2sd ONLY does apps to the sdcard....not data and not dalvik.

In v1.2.3 we can move apps, data and dalvik to sdcard with:

"apps2sd on --data --dalvik"

Or just apps and data:

"apps2sd on --data"

This is was not possible with any version before v1.2.3.

A HUGE thanks to malez for making this possible. LCR v1.2.3 with full and functioning Apps2d is an excellent, stable Eclair ROM for everyday use that effectively deals with the internal storage constraint of the Acer Liquid. It isn't bug free as the base is a beta.....but I see maybe one system crash every two days....and that's "stable" compared to most modded Eclair ROMs I've run on HTC Magic or Acer Liquid.

My old Huawei 3G phone with stock (Symbian) OS was less stable than that.

Edited by linuxluver

Guest Palmada

Hello,

I've installed LCR 1.2.3 from the most recent Liquid update (2.000 something) and while it was fun to play with the updated 2.1 features, I've found it to be laggy and unstable. I can't, for instance, change any settings related to the keyboard, and the home screen will often freeze when I click something or have just switched back to it; among other several stalls in the system.

Is anyone else having these issues? How stable is it for you? Some people call it slow, but is just just generally slow, or lag at some points with brief "moments of clarity"?

Also doesn't this ROM come rooted? I don't have root access...

Edited by Palmada

Guest mirox3m

The problems that I have experienced with 1.2.3 (extremely slow and laggy) were solved by wiping and new install. It is really better now. Thanks!

Edited by mirox3m

Guest Riekr

i'm still on 1.2.2 anyway, i tried to solve my hanging camera issues, by now i've reached the point to uninstall setcpu: by default this kernel sets ondemand governor (with min freq 247 and max 748 but i still was having issues) and i set the threshold for increasing the freq from 90% to 80% (using "echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold" in a startup script).

checking freq transitions tables (cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table) i see there are still too much transitions from min to max, i'm gonna try to keep some less hysteresis on freq switching to save a bit more transitions-cpu-battery. those transitions where also happening with 90% threshold.

to run a startup script i use this: http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/nk.bla.android.autostart/ (remember to chmod +x autostart.sh)

Edited by Riekr

Guest malez
i'm still on 1.2.2 anyway, i tried to solve my hanging camera issues, by now i've reached the point to uninstall setcpu: by default this kernel sets ondemand governor (with min freq 247 and max 748 but i still was having issues) and i set the threshold for increasing the freq from 90% to 80% (using "echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold" in a startup script).

checking freq transitions tables (cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/trans_table) i see there are still too much transitions from min to max, i'm gonna try to keep some less hysteresis on freq switching to save a bit more transitions-cpu-battery. those transitions where also happening with 90% threshold.

to run a startup script i use this: http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/nk.bla.android.autostart/ (remember to chmod +x autostart.sh)

In 1.2.3, auto start script is really easy to do :

I have rewritten all boot seqence and it is now really easy to add any autostart script.

all scripts putted on /data/run/* will be played on boot in alphabetic order.

so if you want to run echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold on each boot in 1.2.3, simply use this command :

ins_run cpu_up_threasold "echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold"

This will create a script named ins_run cpu_up_threasold that will run "echo 80 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold"

I have added a set of tools to manage boot :

ins_run => add auto run of specified command

ls_run => will display script that will be autorunned

rm_run ==> will remove an autorun script give by its name

you can also use in_runOnce, ls_runOnce and rm_runOnce. They are the same but will only be played during next boot.

All runned commands will be logged in /data/logs/run.log and /data/logs/runOnce.log

You can also display all using the logboot command to display all.

Logs are kept until you use the logbootclear command.

I strongly advice you to upgrade to 1.2.3. It would be really really easier for you.

Guest Riekr
[..]

I strongly advice you to upgrade to 1.2.3. It would be really really easier for you.

i like this new run system :P

i think i will update soon.

btw, i'm also trying to experiment with a swap file but i'm getting "Function not implemented" on swapon, is swapping disabled in this the kernel?

again, is there a particular reason for the kernel to be preemptive? (or has someone tried a non preemptive kernel for performance/battery?)