Guest wjdunn3

New i9x0 version.

v1.2 Change Log:

- Program name changed to GPSKeepAlive.exe

- Remembers your Sync interval setting across pgm/phone resets

- Show Sync interval on screen

- Option Menu reflects what Sync interval is selected

- Format change of Lat./Long. information display

- Fixed bug that messed up the sync interval if you toggle on/off more than once (which may be why some see batt drain.. just speculating)

GPS_Controller_CAB_v1_2.CAB

Screen01.bmp

Edited by wjdunn3

Guest rfarrah
New i9x0 version.

v1.2 Change Log:

VERY nice! :(

Guest Wynnded
New i9x0 version.

v1.2 Change Log:

Very, very nice! Thank you.

Guest RoyalDrew
New i9x0 version.

v1.2 Change Log:

- Fixed bug that messed up the sync interval if you toggle on/off more than once (which may be why some see batt drain.. just speculating)

Thanks SO MUCH for your contributions. Hopefully this will help people that have battery issues!

I updated first post.

Guest wjdunn3

BTW, the bug I fixed in the Omnia version is still in the non-Omnia version....It was a bug in the original source code. So, if you are using the non-Omnia verison, just be aware that toggling on/off multiple times will mess up your sync interval (it will not sync when it is suppose too....could be much longer or much shorter time interval)

Guest JaGuR
BTW, the bug I fixed in the Omnia version is still in the non-Omnia version....It was a bug in the original source code. So, if you are using the non-Omnia verison, just be aware that toggling on/off multiple times will mess up your sync interval (it will not sync when it is suppose too....could be much longer or much shorter time interval)

Still have the battery drain here after the update, set at 30 min intervals, but not any issue, just won't leave it running all the time.

Thanks guys for the great work :(

Guest urphonesux

im on my second day using it and the lowest i have seen at the end of the day was 53%, for me i believe i will be keeping keepalive on my phone

Thanks for such a great app!

Guest wingw

I'm not sure if it's good to keep it running all the time as my phone is warm to touch with it on.

Also, I noticed my lock screen comes up instantly with it running in the background, I don't know why they're related but I'm tempted to keep it running just for this. The slow lock screen from wake up have always bothered me.

Guest RoyalDrew
I'm not sure if it's good to keep it running all the time as my phone is warm to touch with it on.

Also, I noticed my lock screen comes up instantly with it running in the background, I don't know why they're related but I'm tempted to keep it running just for this. The slow lock screen from wake up have always bothered me.

odd.. i don't have either of these issues. I can't imagine why this app would change anything with the screen lock.

Guest KyleChen
odd.. i don't have either of these issues. I can't imagine why this app would change anything with the screen lock.

Because it is a bug of this program.

Normally, a sleeping phone will power up few devices of your PPC (cpu, memory card, sound chip, etc.) before show up the lock screen, this causes the delay, but save lots of battery during sleep.

After running the gpskeepalive, the cpu of the ppc was always "on" in the background. It does bring faster screen show up time, but the chips drain battery all the time.

a good timing program, use the system notification which is a sort of build-in "hardware alarm", wake up ppc's power at the certain time or event trigger, without keeping devices running behind. after ppc wake up, the cpu gets power and can start to take over the following commands.

Guest RoyalDrew

Normally, a sleeping phone will power up few devices of your PPC (cpu, memory card, sound chip, etc.) before show up the lock screen, this causes the delay, but save lots of battery during sleep.

After running the gpskeepalive, the cpu of the ppc was always "on" in the background. It does bring faster screen show up time, but the chips drain battery all the time.

a good timing program, use the system notification which is a sort of build-in "hardware alarm", wake up ppc's power at the certain time or event trigger, without keeping devices running behind. after ppc wake up, the cpu gets power and can start to take over the following commands.

That sounds like a perfectly good reason why the screen lock would immediately show up. But it seems strange that i haven't seen any increased battery drain while my device is asleep.

Tonight i left my usb cable at work at 10:30 and my battery was at 100%. On the way home i tested out Waze(gps nav and social app) which only took around 15 minutes. Now that i'm home there were a few files that i found i wanted to put on my phone and had to turn on bluetooth around 3 hours ago. Other than that my phone has been asleep since 10:30 and has had bluetooth on for the last 3 hours. If i go to Power in the system settings menu it shows the battery at roughly %85 but everything else says %100(i don't have the %1 or %5 battery driver mods).

screenshot8l.jpgscreenshot9gw.jpg

It seems if the phone wasn't asleep it would be draining more battery than it is. If some of the chips are not turned off, i wonder how much power they use if there isn't anything "to do"?

Guest wingw

Do you know of a solution to the slow screen lock problem? I can live with a little battery drain but I don't want to run the GPS Keep Alive in the background because of the heat.

Btw, thanks for posting this program, it will surely be useful during road trips where you constantly need gps and battery isn't a problem with a car charger.

Guest RoyalDrew
Do you know of a solution to the slow screen lock problem? I can live with a little battery drain but I don't want to run the GPS Keep Alive in the background because of the heat.

Btw, thanks for posting this program, it will surely be useful during road trips where you constantly need gps and battery isn't a problem with a car charger.

If you're phone actually feels warm to the touch then i would say the app actually does use a lot of your battery. But, in my case, the back of my phone feels just as cool as another piece of plastic i have sitting one my desk.

For my phone to feel warm when i don't have it plugged in i would need to be on a phone call for several minutes at least or have some intense app running(watching a movie, igo8, wmtorrent).

Are there any other apps running while your phone is not in use? It's just hard for me to believe that the same app 'under the same conditions' would be using enough power to actually warm the phone.

I'm assuming that the auto screen lock when you come back from standby is from the Wake Up setting in Settings/Personal/Buttons. If you go to the Wake Up tab there uncheck "When device is woken up, lock device". I don't use that setting and just hold the End key whenever i want my device locked.

Guest lupus_hegemonia

I've read this topic... and I didn't figure out HOW can I fix the GPS to locking fast and always.

Any help/explain?

Guest Junoman
That sounds like a perfectly good reason why the screen lock would immediately show up. But it seems strange that i haven't seen any increased battery drain while my device is asleep.

Tonight i left my usb cable at work at 10:30 and my battery was at 100%. On the way home i tested out Waze(gps nav and social app) which only took around 15 minutes. Now that i'm home there were a few files that i found i wanted to put on my phone and had to turn on bluetooth around 3 hours ago. Other than that my phone has been asleep since 10:30 and has had bluetooth on for the last 3 hours. If i go to Power in the system settings menu it shows the battery at roughly %85 but everything else says %100(i don't have the %1 or %5 battery driver mods).

screenshot8l.jpgscreenshot9gw.jpg

It seems if the phone wasn't asleep it would be draining more battery than it is. If some of the chips are not turned off, i wonder how much power they use if there isn't anything "to do"?

Can't it be caused by rom and other appilcation associated with? But it shouldn't be the case however what's yours?

Keep trying to fix it/bug!

J.

Guest RoyalDrew
I've read this topic... and I didn't figure out HOW can I fix the GPS to locking fast and always.

Any help/explain?

Install the cab file at the bottom of the first post to your device. Run GPS KeepAlive(the instructions are on screen) Turn On.. then i suggest putting the sync interval to 30mins.

This application keeps the gps fix after you have gotten one for as long as you have it turned on and are within the ability of the receiver to keep its fix.

Can't it be caused by rom and other appilcation associated with? But it shouldn't be the case however what's yours?

Keep trying to fix it/bug!

J.

I'm using Liorytes 28232 i910 rom. When i don't use my device i make sure any programs that may use any data connection or major processing are disabled.

Guest wjdunn3

I am not having a "warm" phone either... I have left the GPSKeepAlive on all day, while mostly in a building, with a 5 min interval and have not noticed my phone being warm or hot. GPSKeepalive does NOT constantly spin CPU cyles in the back ground. WinMo wakes it up on a timer interval...it does its thing (query the GPS) and then goes back to sleep until the next timer interval.

Try this... fire up GPSKeepAlive and let it do its thing for a while... If/When you phone starts feeling warm, fire up the Task Manager and see what, if anything, is using the most CPU. If it is GPSKeepAlive.. let me know and I will investigate further.

Guest RoyalDrew
I am not having a "warm" phone either... I have left the GPSKeepAlive on all day, while mostly in a building, with a 5 min interval and have not noticed my phone being warm or hot. GPSKeepalive does NOT constantly spin CPU cyles in the back ground. WinMo wakes it up on a timer interval...it does its thing (query the GPS) and then goes back to sleep until the next timer interval.

Try this... fire up GPSKeepAlive and let it do its thing for a while... If/When you phone starts feeling warm, fire up the Task Manager and see what, if anything, is using the most CPU. If it is GPSKeepAlive.. let me know and I will investigate further.

Ok so let's say you have your screen lock set to come up if your phone is inactive for 5 minutes and your KeepAlive sync time is at 10 minutes. On that 10 minute keepalive sync(wake up) the screen lock setting comes in and locks it, so when you wake it up anytime after that it's already locked and doesn't have to 'think' about it.

That's my take on why there is an instant lock when you wake.

Guest urphonesux

so far so good. This is my new favorite app and by the way, regarding my 50% battery charge at the the end of the day, that is my norm even before gps keep alive with no 24 hr apps running

and i am not experiencing the warm phone effect either

Good Stuff!

Edited by urphonesux

Guest RoyalDrew
won't run on mine as I need a newer version of .net apparently.. where from?

It's cooked in to most of the newer roms out there but everything you need to know is here.

You install NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab and then you install netcfcfg and run it. Select the 3.5 from the dropdown as shown in the above topic and hit apply.

Guest kdkinc

Installed on VZW Omnia i920 appears to work GREAT <_<

Tomorrow I'll run it all day to see if there is a battery issue but I don't expect one.

PS using cooked AMDZero Rom.

Thank You

:mellow: :(

Ran most of the next day. Only used gps for a few minutes (15).

I exited out of google map so it was not still running in the background. My screen was off and locked

By half of the day the battery had dropped from 98% to 32%.

I'll try a few more time because once I make my first connect the following gps activations take 2-3 seconds. It Flys...

I have the gps ping set to 30 minutes as suggested. task mgr said I had nothing running. phone was not hot to the touch.

Still NICE program

:D :D

Edited by kdkinc

Guest RoyalDrew
Installed on VZW Omnia i920 appears to work GREAT <_<

Tomorrow I'll run it all day to see if there is a battery issue but I don't expect one.

PS using cooked AMDZero Rom.

Thank You

:mellow: :(

Ran most of the next day. Only used gps for a few minutes (15).

I exited out of google map so it was not still running in the background. My screen was off and locked

By half of the day the battery had dropped from 98% to 32%.

I'll try a few more time because once I make my first connect the following gps activations take 2-3 seconds. It Flys...

I have the gps ping set to 30 minutes as suggested. task mgr said I had nothing running. phone was not hot to the touch.

Still NICE program

:D :D

hmm.. well i don't have the i920 but that does seem to be a little more battery drain than you would like..

btw.. it seems like i read in another post that you were in Iraq? i hope this app proves some good use for you over there!

Guest frmariam

This is a really great app <_<

I have a request... Could you add silent features (like cmd commands to toggle gps on/off... and maybe output the connection satus and number of satellites to the registry)? I think this would very useful for Mortscript users and Today skinners.