Turn our omnia into a WiFi/GPS/Music/Video Player

Guest eclsnowman

Guest nmayer79
i'm getting ready to download it now...will post a review as soon as i try it out. (School network sucks so im downloading it through my new Omnia2, still wishing the ANDROMNiA project was a little further along, by the time they get something figured out, nobody will have an omnia left on verizon's network.)

edit1: download is about a third of the way done. the suspense is building xD

edit2: download complete. preparing to flash

edit3: it hangs at the screen with the (WinPhone7 logo and Welcome) it also shows the data connection icon (arrows left and right) with an x showing no connection, as well as the cellular icon...i guess i'll try reflashing, then try ANDROMNiA if that doesn't work. i have no need for the phone functions anyway

did you try to tap the top taskbar, same as if you flash any custom rom??

Guest 03civicsi
bump

I sold my omnia to a friend in need of a phone... but are you trying to flash this onto a DC22 base? cause this thread is from CF03... not sure if you knew that since dc22 came out about 2 weeks after this thread was posted

Guest techfellow
I sold my omnia to a friend in need of a phone... but are you trying to flash this onto a DC22 base? cause this thread is from CF03... not sure if you knew that since dc22 came out about 2 weeks after this thread was posted

So is this DC22 friendly

Guest Maver

I'm interested in this project too, I might be getting a droid soon, and was thinking about keeping this guy in my car for GPS and music

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest WhoTheHellAmI
did you try to tap the top taskbar, same as if you flash any custom rom??

Never realized the tap was necessary...some of the older custom roms didn't have that issue. It appears to be up and running without the phone packages now. If you need me to test anything, let me know. First thing I will do is put TomTom on it and test that. I will let you know if GPS is working without the "Location ON" setting. (Not very optimistic about it with my experience with the setting in the past.)

Edit1: Tested List

--------------------

Working:

Everything, except as noted below.

Not Working:

Nothing yet

Missing:

Camera (Was this removed out of necessity?)

GPS

Location Setting

Not Tested:

Bluetooth

--------------------

Edit2: As noted above, the Camera program is not included, and the GPS drivers appear to be broken as well. After setting up the GPS in TomTom, it says "No GPS device!"

Edited by WhoTheHellAmI

Guest golfer
Never realized the tap was necessary...some of the older custom roms didn't have that issue. It appears to be up and running without the phone packages now. If you need me to test anything, let me know. First thing I will do is put TomTom on it and test that. I will let you know if GPS is working without the "Location ON" setting. (Not very optimistic about it with my experience with the setting in the past.)

Edit1: Tested List

--------------------

Working:

Everything, except as noted below.

Not Working:

Nothing yet

Missing:

Camera (Was this removed out of necessity?)

GPS

Location Setting

Not Tested:

Bluetooth

--------------------

Edit2: As noted above, the Camera program is not included, and the GPS drivers appear to be broken as well. After setting up the GPS in TomTom, it says "No GPS device!"

I am glad someone is looking into this ROM

Edited by golfer

Guest peperonikiller

I dont think GPS will work without a contract on the phone, at least for a while when my service was off, GPS would NOT work at all!

Guest Maver

He's got a point, while the GPS is a whole separate system, when the phone part is off i haven't gotten a gps signal, someone should check.

Guest maryvmcclain

I too have upgraded and want to give this phone to my husband who doesn't even own an MP3 player at this point. I have the DC22 (most recent Verizon Rom) so I think I can't use this?

I REALLY want to try this but have never done any custom ROM flashes. All I want is exactly what I think people are asking for here here... Wifi (with browser) GPS, Music (preferably better than the Touch Player), Video Player and CAMERA... Maybe messaging/calander (but we use gmail). The basic functionality of an ITouch, preserving memory for video and music. I can't tell from this post if that's what we've got here? Can I go back to the prior standard ROM if I try this?

It really drives me crazy that I can't remove programs I don't want... ShoZu, Touch Player, OFFICE etc. I am grateful to you guys who volunteer to fix what should have been a utility included in the original.

Thanks in advance.

Guest skoda60
--------------------

Omnia GPS worked only phone mode on with and without the SIM card. In frieght mode, GPS will not worked.

Guest nighthawkx28

I'm going to try this out, but I'll have to flash right back to a regular ROM because I'm still using my omnia as a phone :lol: . I'll put up some screen shots later today.

EDIT: I don't think it worked completely for me. I flashed to it and got to the today screen. The only thing on the today screen was the date (maybe this was intended). But it got rid of any skipping, freezing, etc when listening to music. So it works as a media device. I fooled around with the settings and some how 'semi bricked' my omnia, the only thing I can do is tap the top bar and get to the wireless manager, but none of the buttons work. I'm flashing back to another rom FOR NOW. I'll try this again later and hopefully get some screens up by tomorrow.

Edited by nighthawkx28

Guest gdwrnch29

iGO 8 GPS works just fine on my i910, no cell service plan on it for 4 months. Still looking for a reason to keep it though, anyone still working on this stripped down rom?

Guest Passed u bmw

I first would like to thank you guys for this post. My contract is up and well I'm sick of Verizon. I'm going through my phone and looking at all the things that I know other users would use and not even think to mention. Stuff like FM Radio, TV out, Bluetooth (headphones) and the Camera. I think as long as you have the base software drivers so that every feature of the the phone - the phone its self can be utilized you'll have a solid ROM. After that I would assume most apps can be installed after the flash so long as the hardware is supported.

Thanks guy's and keep up the good work.

Guest lastnikita
iGO 8 GPS works just fine on my i910, no cell service plan on it for 4 months. Still looking for a reason to keep it though, anyone still working on this stripped down rom?

I guess your phone part is still ON.

GPS works also without a SIM at all, as long as the phone part of the phone is ON.

Why don't you guys just disable the phone part ?

I guess the general expectation here is more off a nice easy to use ROM out of the box, isn't it ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pacman9889

anyone else still making some headway on this, I too have switched over to a new Incredible, and am looking for a way to re-purpose such a great device.

• 3 months later...
Guest robertbranch

Is anyone still messing with this ROM? I flashed my i910 (with another ROM) while I was still using it and loved it. I recently got a DroidX and I want to turn this into a media centric device.

Can anyone point to a link to download this ROM? I couldn't locate it in this thread ... I may have overlooked it ..

Rob

Guest peperonikiller

I could probably take a stab at making my own phone-less rom. Although I use my Evo for everything multi-media.. If I cant sell my omnia I'll stilll probably mess around with it.

Guest lioryte
I could probably take a stab at making my own phone-less rom. Although I use my Evo for everything multi-media.. If I cant sell my omnia I'll stilll probably mess around with it.

I'll defiantly do it since I can't sell my old POS its been through so much and it shows... I'll give it to my kids to play with!

ROM will be excluding phone, titanium, IE, bloatware.

ROM won't be stripped down though, (I think my base is stripped down enough, only 8MB with IE, phone keyboards, etc included) but will be multimedia oriented, taking into account the condition of most i910's I'll have extra big buttons :rolleyes: IMO Sammy's Touch player was very good. This will take some time since I'm being tutored on android.

• 6 months later...