27/Apr - [.33.3] intersectRaven's Kernel (now with *STABLE* Hybrid AVS)

Guest R@v3n

Guest R@v3n
Guest R@v3n
Guest Askani

Hey, risking being dumb but in order to try this out I need to flash this zImage, but what is this zImage? Some kind of bootloader? And flashing this messes with Amonra recovery?

Last question, does this work with desire ports made by Paul?

Guest R@v3n
Hey, risking being dumb but in order to try this out I need to flash this zImage, but what is this zImage? Some kind of bootloader? And flashing this messes with Amonra recovery?

Last question, does this work with desire ports made by Paul?

zImage is the kernel. It doesn't mess with the Amon-Ra recovery since that is in the recovery partition. Also, it works with the Desire ROM as I was told. ;)

Guest derekv6
Which AVS Kernel should I use with my N1?

I would like to know the theory behind the different AVS levels and what it means when I select 800mV vs 825mV etc.. R@ven looking forward to trying this AVS stuff out on my N1 running CM 5.0.5.3

Thanks again for all you do! ;)

Guest R@v3n
Which AVS Kernel should I use with my N1?

If you're experimenting, then try the lowest AVS first and see what's the most stable. If you just want the most stable (and I am using the word stable loosely here since AVS is still experimental) just go with the 1000mV level. ;)

I would like to know the theory behind the different AVS levels and what it means when I select 800mV vs 825mV etc.. R@ven looking forward to trying this AVS stuff out on my N1 running CM 5.0.5.3

Thanks again for all you do! ;)

AVS means Adaptive Voltage Scaling. What it does is to regulate the voltage that is fed to your N1's processor depending on several factors (speed, load, temperature, etc.) so that it consumes the least amount of voltage that the CPU needs to be stable. What the mV values I attached to my kernels mean the absolute minimum voltage by which AVS can go down to. So at 800mV, if your N1 can handle it, your CPU will go down to 800mV consumption while idle as long as the factors approve of such. Take note though that it can also result in sudden reboots if your CPU can't handle the load and just hangs or reboots before it can signal to the AVS to increase its voltage. ;)

Guest derekv6
If you're experimenting, then try the lowest AVS first and see what's the most stable. If you just want the most stable (and I am using the word stable loosely here since AVS is still experimental) just go with the 1000mV level. ;)

AVS means Adaptive Voltage Scaling. What it does is to regulate the voltage that is fed to your N1's processor depending on several factors (speed, load, temperature, etc.) so that it consumes the least amount of voltage that the CPU needs to be stable. What the mV values I attached to my kernels mean the absolute minimum voltage by which AVS can go down to. So at 800mV, if your N1 can handle it, your CPU will go down to 800mV consumption while idle as long as the factors approve of such. Take note though that it can also result in sudden reboots if your CPU can't handle the load and just hangs or reboots before it can signal to the AVS to increase its voltage. ;)

Why would you use AVS with 1000mV if thats the default with non-avs kernels? Is there really a noticable / significant advantage to using the AVS kernel? I am really interested in the audio boosts primarily if that works on the speaker or is it only on the earpiece?

Thanks again Raven!

Guest R@v3n
Why would you use AVS with 1000mV if thats the default with non-avs kernels? Is there really a noticable / significant advantage to using the AVS kernel? I am really interested in the audio boosts primarily if that works on the speaker or is it only on the earpiece?

Thanks again Raven!

I use the 1000mV as a sort of baseline for judging AVS stability. Battery savings vary significantly depending on usage so I can't really judge for you. Try it out and see for yourself! ;) Anyways, the audio boost only works with call-in audio from both the speaker and earpiece. ;)

Guest Ryan Pence

Great Kernel Raven I played with all the AVS Settings found over all the 850 to be fairly stable but the 875 worked the best phone has not had any rebooting problems and battery life is somewhat better. But most of all the Kernel makes the phone overall faster. Good Job:-)

Edited by Ryan Pence

Guest R@v3n
Great Kernel Raven I played with all the AVS Settings found over all the 850 to be fairly stable but the 875 worked the best phone has not had any rebooting problems and battery life is somewhat better. But most of all the Kernel makes the phone overall faster. Good Job:-)

Thanks! I've been quite busy at the XDA forum since many people are contributing there for further kernel development that I haven't had the time to read here. ;)

Guest fabiocampos

Hi @R@v3n, i can use with Desire ROM? I´m running Desire Alpha-r19, but the stock kernel drain fast ;) And, what better kernel version for the momment?

Thanks for ur hard work ;)

Guest R@v3n
Hi @R@v3n, i can use with Desire ROM? I´m running Desire Alpha-r19, but the stock kernel drain fast ;) And, what better kernel version for the momment?

Thanks for ur hard work ;)

The latest hybrid AVS kernel is the best and seems to be REALLY STABLE right now. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m1jj3twootl

Haven't updated the front page post yet since I'm still receiving reports at XDA that seems to indicate that this version has finally solved the stability issues with AVS. ;)

Edited by R@v3n

Guest fabiocampos
The latest hybrid AVS kernel is the best and seems to be REALLY STABLE right now. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m1jj3twootl

Haven't updated the front page post yet since I'm still receiving reports at XDA that seems to indicate that this version has finally solved the stability issues with AVS. ;)

Works fine with Desire ROM?

Thanks ;)

Guest R@v3n
What better version for use now? I see u talk into XDA about dinamic reboots in new version ;)

Thanks a lot ;)

that is the stable version with no reboots... ;)

Guest fabiocampos
that is the stable version with no reboots... ;)

So, i´m testing 20100418_0816 version and all works fine for me. No reboots at moment ;)

Thanks a lot ;)

Guest derekv6

So I installed the hybrid kernel and my battery volts in spare parts says 3952mv? Is that normal... Everything else is working fine, no reboots. Battery life doesn't seem to have changed much -- maybe 10-15% at most.

Edited by derekv6

Guest fabiocampos
Updated!

20100424_1336:

Hybrid AVS:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zgij0mgnikg -> ZIP format

http://www.mediafire.com/?ito2yqdickn -> Update.zip format

*If you have something which requires a custom kernel (e.g. Desire camera), please use the fastboot method instead of the recovery update.zip method.

Hi R@v3n, i´m using Desire ROM with ur latest kernel date to 21/04/2010. I´ll go back to Cyan 5.0.6 and i want flash the ur last kernel version date to 24/04. What best improvements this last version?

Thanks a lot and keep UP with ur hard and awesome work! :huh:

Guest R@v3n
Hi R@v3n, i´m using Desire ROM with ur latest kernel date to 21/04/2010. I´ll go back to Cyan 5.0.6 and i want flash the ur last kernel version date to 24/04. What best improvements this last version?

Thanks a lot and keep UP with ur hard and awesome work! :P

Well, I've applied kmobs' latest undervolt values to the Hybrid AVS caps. Also, the RCU is now for uniprocessor systems which should save some memory. Also, the xtra modifications that pershoot includes in his kernel (e.g. namespace support, deadline, block devices, etc.) with the exception of the ARM errata which I don't think is necessary for the scorpion core. :huh: