Theming your Pulse

Guest Rem1x

Guest Rem1x
Just a quick question...does de-odexing your files have any adverse effect on the phone (speed, installing apps, future rom updates etc)? I've used all the home replacements and the phone is always faster without them! I really like the espresso theme (with black status bar) so I want to give it a try.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Heh, having lived with a themed phone, I can say that yes your phone WILL be slower, due to the de-odexing.

Guest MistaJae

Thanks Rem1x!

Think I'll stay with the default theme for now. I love the Android OS and the Pulse has been a good intro for me. Might be time to get that Nexus One..... ;)

Guest darkdevil1

Took me some time to figure out exactly where adb.exe was in the downloaded SDk etc, but eventually got it to work; thanks a lot ;)

One question though;

I did a clean wipe. Installed 1.7 vanilla and then followed your guide. For some reason, when installing apps, I get the following error: ''[Appnamehere] could not be installed on this phone''. When I try installing from the market I get ''Installation error'' without any further info.

Any idea what could be causing this? Might be totally unrelated to your guide btw, not sure!

Edit: Nevermind! Found the solution. Boot into recovery mode and repair the ext2 partition

Edit2: May I ask how you got that ''Call'' icon to the left of your launcher and ''Contacts'' to the right? Mine doesn't seem to have that

Edited by darkdevil1

Guest Minus616
Took me some time to figure out exactly where adb.exe was in the downloaded SDk etc, but eventually got it to work; thanks a lot ;)

One question though;

I did a clean wipe. Installed 1.7 vanilla and then followed your guide. For some reason, when installing apps, I get the following error: ''[Appnamehere] could not be installed on this phone''. When I try installing from the market I get ''Installation error'' without any further info.

Any idea what could be causing this? Might be totally unrelated to your guide btw, not sure!

Edit: Nevermind! Found the solution. Boot into recovery mode and repair the ext2 partition

Edit2: May I ask how you got that ''Call'' icon to the left of your launcher and ''Contacts'' to the right? Mine doesn't seem to have that

They don't work ;)

On a side note, I got a theme going which I like however there are two little problems I can't get rid of

snap20100419161634.pngsnap20100419161643.png

Sorry for the dimness, my screen decided to dim anytime I used shootme.

Anyway, I want to get rid of the green highlights and change the drop down tray from gray to maybe to a dark transparent type?

Thanks for any help ;)

Guest darkdevil1

Thanks for the reply. Have to say that I've noticed quite a big performance drop after de-odexing though (bigger then I expected), but it's still worth it ;)

Edited by darkdevil1

Guest Minus616
Thanks for the reply. Have to say that I've noticed quite a big performance drop after de-odexing though (bigger then I expected), but it's still worth it ;)

Really? I never found any performance change!

Do you use any performance enhancing programs? Say Autokiller or SetCPU?

Guest darkdevil1
Really? I never found any performance change!

Do you use any performance enhancing programs? Say Autokiller or SetCPU?

Yep, I use SetCPU, Auto Memory Manager and Advanced Task Manager. It's not bad enough to warrant rolling back to vanilla firmware, but it's definitely more sluggish in the menus and such imo

Guest Daniel Williamson

Hi changed a few things like the colours and what not, just wondering if you can change the colour of the search widget ? thanks

post-621853-1272113616_thumb.png

post-621853-1272113638_thumb.png

post-621853-1272113648_thumb.png

Dan

Guest Azurren
Hi changed a few things like the colours and what not, just wondering if you can change the colour of the search widget ? thanks

Dan

Is that your own theme? Can't say I'm to keen on the colours but still good job :huh:

Guest Daniel Williamson

Well started with the ultra espresso theme, changed the staus bar background and most of the icons aswell and then got the tray handles from the Gchrome theme and there you go :huh: im not to good at compiling themes so didnt want to start from scratch, i just like modding things i.e the colour, and its orange becasue its my favourite colour :P

Dan

Guest Lord_Shaithis

Any idea why something as basic as icons will not install?

I downloaded the Hero green icon set and took a look at it, some PNG files.....how basic can you get? :huh:

Whenever I choose one of them to load, it says installing but sits there and never completes.....all the other themed items I have tried so far have worked...

This is on a Pulse with Vanilla 1.8 + Ultra Expresso theme.

The THM file had the header Android 1.6......I tried it with 1.5 instead but I am at a loss as to how they could differ greatly (or even at all!) when it comes to attaching a PNG image to an application for its icon....especially when the THM file has so little information.

Edited by Lord_Shaithis

Guest Daniel Williamson
Any idea why something as basic as icons will not install?

I downloaded the Hero green icon set and took a look at it, some PNG files.....how basic can you get? :huh:

Whenever I choose one of them to load, it says installing but sits there and never completes.....all the other themed items I have tried so far have worked...

This is on a Pulse with Vanilla 1.8 + Ultra Expresso theme.

The THM file had the header Android 1.6......I tried it with 1.5 instead but I am at a loss as to how they could differ greatly (or even at all!) when it comes to attaching a PNG image to an application for its icon....especially when the THM file has so little information.

Hi ive actually tried myself to change the PNG icon image of many installed apps such as youtube and Messages, but with no luck. Recently after searching i have found that the android manifest needs to be changed in order for the new icon to be replaced. But as i am not very good with coding and such ive not been able to do it :/

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rem1x
What the kluck happened to the tutorial in first post?! Whats broken? pulseblk.thm worked fine for me :S

Heh, I took it off for a bit. The files are not there any more, and Android 2.1 is coming out very soon :P