Huawei U8220 (Non-Pulse)

Guest MarcusHenrique

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hey guys, any news? I'm still with no answers on how to make sim work with MCR running at my stock u8220 after all.

Please help, my google search cache is filled with sentences like: "u8220 sim not working", "rooted u8220 can't find network", "i wanna pull my hair off cause' I can't root my mobile, why the hell they make different kernels for the same mobile model?"

;)

Guest BigBearMDC
Hey guys, any news? I'm still with no answers on how to make sim work with MCR running at my stock u8220 after all.

Please help, my google search cache is filled with sentences like: "u8220 sim not working", "rooted u8220 can't find network", "i wanna pull my hair off cause' I can't root my mobile, why the hell they make different kernels for the same mobile model?"

;)

Lets make a different approach.

Send me your boot.img and I'll root it (thats really very simple ;-) ).

If that works, we can try to add a2sd, by just adding those changes to the init.rc that are needed for a2sd to work.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique

If that works, we can try to add a2sd, by just adding those changes to the init.rc that are needed for a2sd to work.

Greetings,

BigBear

I have to say that I'm kind embarrassed by all the help you are providing, but I'm really thankful.

My boot img is attached. If you like, you can tell me how to do the steps myself, considering I use windows. I'd rather learn it now than having to bother you again when 2.1 comes.

Thanks again "Grande Urso" ;)

myboot.img

Guest Rizzly

Greetings,

BigBear

Well, I have mine rooted (wich works) and I've tried just having the changes that are needed for a2sd with no success. Perhaps I've been doing something wrong?

I know this isn't your problem, so thanks for trying to help us BigBear!

Guest BigBearMDC

Nah, never mention ;)

Okay, I patched the ramdisk, and at least your boot.img is rooted now.

But I'm not sure if your network will work ;)

A2SD will, that I'm really sure, but there aren't really major changes in the init.rc compared to the MCR's one.

I hope it works!

Greetings,

BigBear

newboot.img

Guest MarcusHenrique

Thanks a lot man!

I'll try it now, doesn't matter if I'm @ work, this is priority ;)

I'll get back with the results, thanks again.

Hm.. second thought: noob question, how do I load only the boot img, without having to create a update.zip file?

Guest BigBearMDC
Thanks a lot man!

I'll try it now, doesn't matter if I'm @ work, this is priority ;)

I'll get back with the results, thanks again.

Hm.. second thought: noob question, how do I load only the boot img, without having to create a update.zip file?

fastboot-windows flash boot C:\[...]\boot.img

Fastboot is part of the amon-ra-recovery ;)

Guest MarcusHenrique
fastboot-windows flash boot C:\[...]\boot.img

Fastboot is part of the amon-ra-recovery ;)

Hm I thought that command line only worked to emulate the boot, as I use to boot recovery mode.

Thank's again. I'll try it now! Fingers crossed. ;)

EDIT: Oh "flash boot", not only "boot" ;)

Edited by MarcusHenrique

Guest BigBearMDC
Hm I thought that command line only worked to emulate the boot, as I use to boot recovery mode.

Thank's again. I'll try it now! Fingers crossed. ;)

EDIT: Oh "flash boot", not only "boot" ;)

I found out that only booting the boot.img had this effect that every boot.img works.

Only if you flash it you really see if it works.

But even if it doesn't you can reflash your old boot.img the same way ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique

Unfortunately Sim stopped working again =/

So Rizzly is right. A2SD changes in init.rc are the cause. But it doesn't make sense at all =S

Guest BigBearMDC
Unfortunately Sim stopped working again =/

So Rizzly is right. A2SD changes in init.rc are the cause. But it doesn't make sense at all =S

Hmm okay I'll have a deeper look at that on friday ;)

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest BigBearMDC

Hi guys

I now had a further look at the ramdisk and the MCR.

it seems like not A2SD is the problem, but busybox.

A2SD is basically just a script.

There's nothing in it that could cause the networking service to crash, I think.

I have the same problem too in my custom kernels...

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique
Hi guys

I now had a further look at the ramdisk and the MCR.

it seems like not A2SD is the problem, but busybox.

A2SD is basically just a script.

There's nothing in it that could cause the networking service to crash, I think.

I have the same problem too in my custom kernels...

Greetings,

BigBear

Is busybox related to what exactly? Did you change it to root and apply app2sd in my boot?

Guest BigBearMDC
Is busybox related to what exactly? Did you change it to root and apply app2sd in my boot?

Root and A2SD are already applied to the boot.img I uploaded ;)

I don't exactly know what busybox is good for unfortunately, sorry ;)

But A2SD is basically only a scripfile that mounts and unmounts directories using busybox.

So my speculation is that busybox is screwing something up, through the A2SD script.

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique

But A2SD is basically only a scripfile that mounts and unmounts directories using busybox.

So my speculation is that busybox is screwing something up, through the A2SD script.

Greetings,

BigBear

Hm.. I see.. Sad to hear that, but thank's anyway! ;)

Guest Rizzly

Greetings,

BigBear

Busybox is used to be able to perform certain commands within the phone wich are not possible otherwise. Busybox makes it possible to perform tasks such a copy, remove and creating symlinks directly in the phone. I'm not sure about busybox being to blame, but I guess I could look into it, see if any commands that are used within the a2sd-script are broken on when trying them out on the device.

Thanks for helping out and narrowing down the causes to the problem ;)!

Edited by Rizzly

Guest Rizzly

I'm just about to give up, busybox-commands seem to work just fine and I have no idea how to get any debug information out of the a2sd-script. I wonder if some of the other files that are called in the script might be responsible?

Guest MarcusHenrique
I'm just about to give up, busybox-commands seem to work just fine and I have no idea how to get any debug information out of the a2sd-script. I wonder if some of the other files that are called in the script might be responsible?

I have no ideia on how to actually help. But if you answer some questions I might use my creativity to come up with some theoric solutions ;)

First one: Why AP2sd works fine in pulses, and in ours just cause' it's kernel is different it conflicts with sim card work?

Second: Have you tried rooting then applying app2sd like generic tutorials arround google says?

Guest Rizzly
I have no ideia on how to actually help. But if you answer some questions I might use my creativity to come up with some theoric solutions ;)

First one: Why AP2sd works fine in pulses, and in ours just cause' it's kernel is different it conflicts with sim card work?

Second: Have you tried rooting then applying app2sd like generic tutorials arround google says?

Thanks, I guess two brains are better than one ;).

1. That's my theory at least, that something is a little different in our kernel, although I have no hard evidence to support it. Perhaps BigBear would know how to investigate this?

2. Yes I have, but with the same result as when doing it the way you have done it. I'm still not certain I've done everything right, but since BigBears try didn't work out either I'm guessing we're not doing anything wrong.

Guest MarcusHenrique
Thanks, I guess two brains are better than one ;).

1. That's my theory at least, that something is a little different in our kernel, although I have no hard evidence to support it. Perhaps BigBear would know how to investigate this?

2. Yes I have, but with the same result as when doing it the way you have done it. I'm still not certain I've done everything right, but since BigBears try didn't work out either I'm guessing we're not doing anything wrong.

I think a update via update mode is able to overwrite almost everything on the phone, maybe even the deeper files and configs. Assuming our mobile has exactly the same hardware as Pulse, aren't there anyway to apply an Pulse update to make our mobile have exactly the same software? ;)

Guest Rizzly
I think a update via update mode is able to overwrite almost everything on the phone, maybe even the deeper files and configs. Assuming our mobile has exactly the same hardware as Pulse, aren't there anyway to apply an Pulse update to make our mobile have exactly the same software? ;)

I don't know, it might even be that the hardware is actually a bit different as well, that would explain the changes (if there are any) to the kernel. It could explain the problems with network and a2sd, and also why our screen won't work with the original pulse kernel. In essence, using the pulses kernel is doing what you said, that's about as deep as you can go into an android device without actually writing hardware-specific code for the internals of the device.

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hm.. i see.. Ran out of ideas. I'll try to have more later.. lol

Just hope that when huawei release 2.1 it comes in a rooted ap2sd working rom ;)

haha it's just too much to ask

Guest Bakes

Greetings,

BigBear

Busybox is a mobile command shell, rather like Bash but for phones. It allows the use of simple commands such as mount, ls etc