Huawei U8220 (Non-Pulse)

Guest MarcusHenrique

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hi everyone, I recently bought my U8220 from CTBC provider (brazil) and before doing anything I realized that it's different from T-Mobile Pulse version that most of you guys have.

So, after hours of research I still don't have answers for this 2 questions:

- How do I safely root my mobile? I want to use custom roms, app2sd, etc.

- When Android update comes out from huawei will I be able to update my phone with a generic version? Couse I'm pretty sure CTBC won't give a s*** about that.

That's it, maybe we can keep this topic centered in Non-pulse U8820 related.

Thank's!

Guest CHN-michael
Hi everyone, I recently bought my U8220 from CTBC provider (brazil) and before doing anything I realized that it's different from T-Mobile Pulse version that most of you guys have.

So, after hours of research I still don't have answers for this 2 questions:

- How do I safely root my mobile? I want to use custom roms, app2sd, etc.

- When Android update comes out from huawei will I be able to update my phone with a generic version? Couse I'm pretty sure CTBC won't give a s*** about that.

That's it, maybe we can keep this topic centered in Non-pulse U8820 related.

Thank's!

First is to backup your rom. Because the boot.img maybe different from the t-mobile one,just like the u8220 sales in China

Guest MarcusHenrique
First is to backup your rom. Because the boot.img maybe different from the t-mobile one,just like the u8220 sales in China

I know that, I've already downloaded Nandroid. That's not the issue, problem now is to know how to root this version since no one's seems able to do that yet.

[]'s

Edited by MarcusHenrique

Guest twrock
I know that, I've already downloaded Nandroid. That's not the issue, problem now is to know how to root this version since no one's seems able to do that yet.

[]'s

You could try asking to someone like kenoboe who figured out how to root the CHT 8000 ROM (another Huawei U8220 release). I've seen comments in passing that lead me to believe it isn't something that mere mortals can not do. See this post: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1198116

Guest mapero
You could try asking to someone like kenoboe who figured out how to root the CHT 8000 ROM (another Huawei U8220 release). I've seen comments in passing that lead me to believe it isn't something that mere mortals can not do. See this post: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1198116

Hi!

You could try the following:

1) Download the superboot from this side.

2) make a dd of your boot partition.

mtd0: 00280000 00020000 "boot"

mtd1: 05500000 00020000 "system"

mtd2: 06940000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd3: 01400000 00020000 "cache"

mtd4: 00500000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd5: 00040000 00020000 "misc"

3) now you have two boot images. Extract them both: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

4) Take the ramdisk of the modaco boot img and the kernel of your boot img

5) Repack it

6) Flash it

Make a nandroid backup before you start with that! this should work, but i am not 100% sure about it.

Edited by mapero

Guest MarcusHenrique
Hi!

You could try the following:

1) Download the superboot from this side.

2) make a dd of your boot partition.

3) now you have two boot images. Extract them both: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

4) Take the ramdisk of the modaco boot img and the kernel of your boot img

5) Repack it

6) Flash it

Make a nandroid backup before you start with that! this should work, but i am not 100% sure about it.

Nice! Thank you! I'll post the results later. Should this also works if I try with a modaco custom rom?

Guest MarcusHenrique
Nice! Thank you! I'll post the results later. Should this also works if I try with a modaco custom rom?

Hi guys I've got pretty far considering I'm using windows and my linux knowledge is below fair.

I've managed to extract the kernel from my original boot, and the ramdisk from MCR vanilla 1.7's boot.

Now I'm stuck at finding a way to recompile both together since I can't use mkbootimg and 7-zip AND ported gzip shows CRC error when trying to decompile the gzip file.

So, I've attached my boot.img and my kernel file hoping that someone can do this job for me. Please?!?

That could help everyone that has stock U8220 mobile!

Thank you very much!

myboot.img

kernel.gz

Guest BigBearMDC
Hi guys I've got pretty far considering I'm using windows and my linux knowledge is below fair.

I've managed to extract the kernel from my original boot, and the ramdisk from MCR vanilla 1.7's boot.

Now I'm stuck at finding a way to recompile both together since I can't use mkbootimg and 7-zip AND ported gzip shows CRC error when trying to decompile the gzip file.

So, I've attached my boot.img and my kernel file hoping that someone can do this job for me. Please?!?

That could help everyone that has stock U8220 mobile!

Thank you very much!

Hold on, I'll do it (in ~1.5h).

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique
There you go.

Greetings,

BigBear

OMG! Thank you very much dude!

As soon as I get home from work I'll try it!

You're the man!

Guest BigBearMDC
OMG! Thank you very much dude!

As soon as I get home from work I'll try it!

You're the man!

No problem :P

But beware, I can't promise it will work!

It's also possible that you end up in a boot-loop!

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique
No problem :P

But beware, I can't promise it will work!

It's also possible that you end up in a boot-loop!

Greetings,

BigBear

Even in a boot-loop I can boot into recovery mode right? If so, no problem. I've already saved a nandroid backup.

Thank you again pal!

Guest BigBearMDC
Even in a boot-loop I can boot into recovery mode right? If so, no problem. I've already saved a nandroid backup.

Thank you again pal!

Nah, never mention.

With the right setup creating a boot.img takes 5 seconds :(

Well, I thought you can't boot into recovery as you have a different kernel?

Oh, forget that, I thought of the U8230, and not the non-Pulse U8220.

Yap it should be possible to boot into recovery mode, no matter if you end up in a boot loop.

But its always possible to start the device in the fastboot mode, by pressing power + end key + vol down, when the device is powered off.

From there you can reflash your original boot.img and everything should be fine :(

And the best thing: you can't screw up the fastboot mode - its impossible :P

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest MarcusHenrique
Nah, never mention.

With the right setup creating a boot.img takes 5 seconds :(

Well, I thought you can't boot into recovery as you have a different kernel?

But its always possible to start the device in the fastboot mode, by pressing power + end key + vol down, when the device is powered off.

From there you can reflash your original boot.img and everything should be fine :(

And the best thing: you can't screw up the fastboot mode - its impossible :P

Greetings,

BigBear

Yeah, that's what I meant. I went into recovery mode using fastboot hehe

Can't wait to get home and make this works, I'll fill up my 2gb sd with tons of junky appz! lol

Guest MarcusHenrique

OMFG!!!! I cant believe it! It worked!

Not even a single error!

I've successfully booted MCR Vanilla into a STOCK U8220! Everything works perfect!

Thank you all! Thank you very much!

I'd like to upload the signed zip file so everyone who owns non-pulse 8220's could be able to easily have it, what's the best way?

/away playing with my rooted phone, I'll check back later

I shouted it too early.

Seems I cant log into my network anymore.

When I try to search networks it says:

"Error while searching for networks."

And once I saw something like this:

"Your simcard doesn't connect with this network"

Ideas?

Edited by MarcusHenrique

Guest MarcusHenrique

I restored my old rom with nandroid and network started working again, so isn't a hardware problem.

Counting on you guys!

Guest BigBearMDC
I restored my old rom with nandroid and network started working again, so isn't a hardware problem.

Counting on you guys!

You'll have to wipe your device first, before you can flash the MCR :P

Then everything should work :(

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest MarcusHenrique
You'll have to wipe your device first, before you can flash the MCR :P

Then everything should work :(

Greetings,

BigBear

Unfortunately I've already did that before flashing it =/

Any other suggestions?

Guest MarcusHenrique
Hmm looks like we'll have to build up a modified ramdisk.

I'll have a look at that later :-)

Greetings,

BigBear

Hm.. Why is that?

So if the problem is in the ramdisk won't work even if i try my kernel with superboot ramdisk, right?

Too bad =(

Guest Rizzly

Just wanted to chip in here, I have exactly the same problem with my Swedish version of the pulse (Trust me, I've really tried every possible approach). What seems to break the sim-functionality is the loading of a2sd and ramswap in init.rc (i.e, if you take them away rooting etc will work, but without a2sd working). This made me figure it somehow "collides" with something that's been changed in the kernel (of course, this is just pure speculation, but I don't get what else could be wrong). It would be awesome if someone could find out what makes this happen.

Edited by Rizzly

Guest MarcusHenrique
Just wanted to chip in here, I have exactly the same problem with my Swedish version of the pulse (Trust me, I've really tried every possible approach). What seems to break the sim-functionality is the loading of a2sd and ramswap in init.rc (i.e, if you take them away rooting etc will work, but without a2sd working). This made me figure it somehow "collides" with something that's been changed in the kernel (of course, this is just pure speculation, but I don't get what else could be wrong). It would be awesome if someone could find out what makes this happen.

At least we've cut down the list of possibilities now. Thank's.

We'll have to find a way to work trought this, cause 99% of the interest in rooting is to have app2sd!

I'm researching it...

Guest Rizzly
At least we've cut down the list of possibilities now. Thank's.

We'll have to find a way to work trought this, cause 99% of the interest in rooting is to have app2sd!

I'm researching it...

Indeed, it's like choosing between the plague and cholera. Either you have a2sd working, without having networking up and running, or vice-versa. Seeing that the touchscreen didn't work with the boot.img supplied with the pulse furthens my speculations of something being different in the kernel, if not in the hardware of the device too. Since I don't know how to work the kernel image I can't really say, but hopefully someone a little more experienced here on the forums could shed some light on it :P.