Iphone OS 4.0

Guest The_IMF

Guest subhramani

I own a Hero since the the Oct of 2009. I bought an iPhone 3GS less than 2 weeks ago.

I'm so sick of the iPhone already that I am selling it. Its just speed and nothing else.

Guest streamerman
I own a Hero since the the Oct of 2009. I bought an iPhone 3GS less than 2 weeks ago.

I'm so sick of the iPhone already that I am selling it. Its just speed and nothing else.

I still get quizzed daily about "why did you sell your iPhone for that thing with the weird looking chin?" - it's a decision that I never regretted, but I do miss some iPhone things. I wanted a more mature notification system (that actually let me see I had mail without unlocking the device) and a calendar widget on my homescreen. I miss the iPhone keyboard and some of the polish on the apps. The HTC keyboard on my hero has plagued my phone for months with its lagginess! Well, until i found Smart Keyboard Pro (running VillainROM 5.22) - that app makes the phone a joy to use! The text magnifier / selection was a brilliant idea!

Has anyone else noticed recently how the quality of the Android Marketplace has just recently improved so so much? It seems some iPhone devs are crossing platforms and we're getting some gems - Doodlejump and Flight Director for example. The recent growth of Android is probably to probably to blame!

OS4.0 still doesnt do anything extra to warrant a move back to iPhone any time soon. Notifications still are under thought out; I cant view my calendar without opening the app; and I still cant see if I've got mail without unlocking the phone! ;) I dont hate Apple, posting from a Macbook and listening to my iPod classic ;) I have to admit Apple have always done a good job at appealing to the masses - design meets simplicity, but it's always left my inner geek wanting something more. Thank god for the Terminal! ;)

I'm sure I'm not alone... haha

Edited by streamerman

Guest skazz

For starters, I own an iPhone 3G and a HTC Hero. I use both in parallel (home/work).

I'm quite happy to agree with much of this thread, but there is also a load of crap being stated:

- Multimedia on the Hero is pathetic in comparison with the iPhone. Most important being the silly hiss out of the mediocre audio chips on the Hero, but iTunes music library is also a vast win for Apple.

- For my particular needs, the Apple Appstore still provides a far more interesting selection of apps than Android market. No, not "random crappy app nr.60235", I'm talking about actually wanting apps for specific functions and being able to find really good examples on the Appstore while only around half of my app needs are currently served within Android.

- The Android OS upgrade circus is starting to look just as bad as Windows Mobile. I was hoping everything would be dragged up to 2.1, but it's looking now as though new devices will still be turning up in 2010 with 1.5/1.6 and no guarantee of an upgrade, and newer Android releases are on their way. Whatever else you say about Apple, the fact that a 2007 iPhone can upgrade to the latest OS version on the same day as a 2010 iPhone is one of the key reasons there's such a thriving Appstore.

For the rest, Android is a nice powerful OS with plenty of benefits over Apple. And OS 4.0 won't change that very much, but there's plenty good in the Apple device. It's just different to Android and aimed at different users. Fair enough.

Guest Rubber Ducky

Uhm, I don't think you can upgrade an iPhone 1G to OS4.0 (I think it was even stated by Apple).

iPhone OS 4.0 will only run on the 3GS and onwards (and maybe the 3G).

That being said, Android 2.1 will not run on the Google G1 (and probably not on the Hero if they keep rescheduling the damn update, F U HTC).

And I agree with you about the Android upgrade circus. It's rediculous that a phone from 2009 cannot run an OS from 2010 (it's b*llsh*t).

All Android phones should run standard Android OS and should receive their updates from Google.

If manufacturers want a shell over it, they should release it separately.

Sorry if I made a typo (English is not my first language).

Guest stripealipe

Been waiting and waiting and waiting for an OS upgrade for my Hero, but nothing, nothing, nothing.

I can't run any of the newer software and it's quite frankly been a complete shambles.

Work are now upgrading our phones, and i'm awaiting a nice shiny 3GS.

The software available in the Apple app store makes the android stuff look very first gen.

I for one am looking forward to getting my hands on things such as Hipstamatic. And Google Maps with full rotation so you know what way you're going is gonna be fun.

Maybe in a year or so i'll come back to Android, but for now, i've been proper stung by HTC and the Google mess in the way they handle their OS upgrades.

Have fun y'all. And thanks Paul, as your ROM actually stopped me selling my Hero months back. Amazing how it took someone such as yourself to do this instead of HTC themselves. What a laugh! ;)