U8110 Android 2.1 ROM

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest BigBearMDC
I'm fairly sure fastboot won't let you specify an offset, but what happens if you flash them from adb shell now that you have root.

What partition info do you get from /proc/mtd and the kernel message buffer (dmesg) just after boot.

Nothing.

I don't see anything, I can't even run dmesg :P

Guest bas-r
So once I found out how to flash the images with an specific offset, I'll have a fully rooted Eclair :P

So if I understand correctly, you have a fully rooted rom, with all the tracable info taken out?

Guest David Horvath

Wouldnt this help?

fastboot boot <filename> - boots a ROM stored on your pc specified by the filename

fastboot flash <partition> <filename> - flashes a ROM stored on your pc, partition can be one of {boot, recovery, system, userdata}

Guest Tom G
Nothing.

I don't see anything, I can't even run dmesg :P

cat /proc/kmsg

Alternatively push busybox to it. Busybox includes dmesg.

If its anything like the rooted U8110 recovery image I was playing with earlier (and I'm sure it is very similar) you won't be able to do much without busybox.

Edited by Tom G

Guest DanWilson
So if I understand correctly, you have a fully rooted rom, with all the tracable info taken out?

Almost I think it is...

Guest DanWilson
/off

I love community :D One has problems, and the others are hyping to help. Thats lovely.

/on

/off

What does this off and on mean??

/on

:P :P

Guest DanWilson
offtopic. What i said wasnt about Android, was just a general one, so thats why i put it offtopic.

Oh I see... Not that I think you should bother... Its not really making much difference is it?

Guest David Horvath

2.1 is bigger than 1.5, so if the ROM is upgrading like in this case, i assume the repartitioning is normal.

Guest DanWilson
2.1 is bigger than 1.5, so if the ROM is upgrading like in this case, i assume the repartitioning is normal.

Kewl.

/off :P

I feel like BigBear's, (erm) media guy (?). All because I watch this thread every second, literally.

/on :D

If the partitioning is normal (or so we think) doesn't that make life much, much easier?

Guest DanWilson
I agree.

On twitter it would be easier :D

So follow his twitter. I'm just refreshing this thread and his twitter for updates, and the "Android 2.1 will be released..." thread to answer questions :P

I'm addicted to Bobo! :P

Guest BigBearMDC

Okay guys, I ave some news:

I just tried to flash the system image, and this works perfect :P

So I now will edit the build.prop in that eclair system image and add one of the version strings that are in the upgradeable versions list of the dec update.

I should then be able to re-apply the dec update, and then be able to flash the new eclair update.zip.

If that works, I should have a rooted Pulse running Eclair :D

Of course I would then upload it immediately :P

Greetings,

BigBear

Guest Bendolfc

Sounds like good news :P

Out of interest, whats the performance like when you get an incoming call, on 1.5 it can take upto 4 seconds before the phone starts ringing and lets you answer, can be very annoying. Also pressing green to bring up the call history often takes about 2 seconds. Does 2.1 improve performance there?

Cheers

Guest DanWilson
Okay guys, I ave some news:

I just tried to flash the system image, and this works perfect :P

So I now will edit the build.prop in that eclair system image and add one of the version strings that are in the upgradeable versions list of the dec update.

I should then be able to re-apply the dec update, and then be able to flash the new eclair update.zip.

If that works, I should have a rooted Pulse running Eclair :D

Of course I would then upload it immediately :P

Greetings,

BigBear

Upload it right now, then only give the link to me till you're ready! :P

Guest BigBearMDC
Sounds like good news :P

Out of interest, whats the performance like when you get an incoming call, on 1.5 it can take upto 4 seconds before the phone starts ringing and lets you answer, can be very annoying. Also pressing green to bring up the call history often takes about 2 seconds. Does 2.1 improve performance there?

Cheers

It's pretty fast.

It still takes ~1 - 2 seconds until the ringtone starts playing, but the caller screen opens up nearly immediately.

This has really improved!

Guest mr.a
I should have a rooted Pulse running Eclair :P

Of course I would then upload it immediately :D

Greetings,

BigBear

Would we then be able to use apps2sd on it?

Guest David Horvath

I dont really see into the system upgrade processes, but when you're upgrading/downgrading so many times, dont you frack up the system? Is it doing clean install when applying DU? If its repartitioning, than obviously some partitions are being erased, but all of them?