U8110 Android 2.1 ROM

Guest BigBearMDC

Guest David Horvath
:D

What I meant is that I'm about to drive to my gf now, and I don't have any computers there were I could continue working on this :P

That's why it would have been better if I just installed Ubuntu on my USB Stick, so that I can continue working no matter where I are :P

See? I was telling ya to use Ubuntu :P

Guest Richard_Arkless
See? I was telling ya to use Ubuntu :P

lol I completely agree with that statement, I have been using linux for 5 years (used debian then switched to ubuntu 7.04 and have been using it ever since) and ubuntu has really driven the ease of use of linux to a whole new level, im even recommending it to all my friends

Back on topic, I sure hope android 2.1 comes out soon

Before I would check daily, now its every hour hoping its out

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Ashbeard

Reading this forum on Linux mint here. I am testing it because I think it will be less of a shock to Windows switchers when I recommend it to them.

Guest Richard_Arkless
Reading this forum on Linux mint here. I am testing it because I think it will be less of a shock to Windows switchers when I recommend it to them.

I think it depends on the user, like for example one user will see this as a plus cause it is more out of the box than ubuntu but to another user they will see that it is wasting quite a bit of space on apps that a normal user will not need so Ubuntu will suite them as it has only got the basics that everyone will need

What I have done is install ubuntu and ive made a script to install apps like vlc, gimp, openshot, emesene, etc and to remove the apps I dont need

Guest Josh04
I could also try to make a clean Eclair build and flash it, but that mucked around with cupcake...

It was 50/50 really, I think most of the things we didn't do were because we didn't want to put the effort in to making 1.5 work when... we already had 1.5 :P

I used to use Ubuntu until about two months ago, when I finally snapped and bought Win7 for about £35. It was nice for development, but the constant compromises with general usefulness finally got to me.

Guest bas-r
It was nice for development, but the constant compromises with general usefulness finally got to me.

That's why I use Linux at home, because when I'm in work, using XP or 7 just always feels like compromising with the usefulness.

/ontopic:

I think we're getting an Eclair build by the end of Thursday, since it's a holiday then! ***prays to higher powers for 2.1 on Pulse***

Guest Tom G
I think it depends on the user, like for example one user will see this as a plus cause it is more out of the box than ubuntu but to another user they will see that it is wasting quite a bit of space on apps that a normal user will not need so Ubuntu will suite them as it has only got the basics that everyone will need

What I have done is install ubuntu and ive made a script to install apps like vlc, gimp, openshot, emesene, etc and to remove the apps I dont need

While others will see Ubuntu as too heavy with not enough choice and will choose something more easily customizable. I used Kubuntu for a couple of years and it isn't bad, overall I think it is very well put together and a great choice for people new to linux but there were a bunch of things I didn't like (and I don't like Gnome which Ubuntu is largely focused at. I haven't tried Gnome 3 which looks like a big improvement. Kubuntu and Xubuntu are not as well supported).

I've been using Arch Linux on all my systems for the last 18 months and find it to be exactly what I was after, but its not for everyone (don't even think about it if you're afraid of using the command line). There are many distributions out there, and my advise to others would be to try several, over the years I've used Redhat, Debian, Gentoo, Opensuse, Fedora, Ubuntu and Arch (probably a few others I've forgotten), all of them worked fine and it is totally dependent of the users which will work best for them.

One advantage of Ubuntu with Android development is that the google documentation tends to be focused more at Ubuntu systems.

Edited by Tom G

Guest Tom G

Back on topic.

BigBear - Any chance you could remove any identifying labels from the rom and release it as-is, not working, so others can try to help with getting it running. Obviously any such release would not be suitable for the majority of users that are looking for something they can flash and use, but for those willing to help with getting it running it would give us a base to work from. Even just the boot and/or recovery images would give us something to start on (or just the zImage).

Tom.

Guest bindi

I am sure people may have seen the other post from Paul..."Pulse mini is rooted"...I think bear managed to root this 2.1 rom as well. May be Paul could cast his expert eyes on the issues bigbear is facing for quick solutions or directions maybe?

Guest le_lutin

Maybe if the ROM had been passed to Paul we'd have a release by now (he is, after all, the expert)?

Edited by le_lutin

Guest Richard_Arkless
Maybe if the ROM had been passed to Paul we'd have a release by now (he is, after all, the expert)?

I think we will be waiting longer than when bigbear releases it cause I guess most of his free time is on the nexeus one and the roms there, I think he will rejoin us when the 2.1 rom is fully working and stable so he can get it and do his thing and make it faster

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest le_lutin
I think we will be waiting longer than when bigbear releases it cause I guess most of his free time is on the nexeus one and the roms there, I think he will rejoin us when the 2.1 rom is fully working and stable so he can get it and do his thing and make it faster

Well, he did just root the pulse mini which is on 2.1, so I guess he's not too nexus focussed. And given his experience with the Pulse, rooting, optimising and releasing the 2.1 room might be quite trivial for him.

Guest starkos
Well, he did just root the pulse mini which is on 2.1, so I guess he's not too nexus focussed. And given his experience with the Pulse, rooting, optimising and releasing the 2.1 room might be quite trivial for him.

Although I have complete respect for BigBear and what he's trying to achieve, I think le_lutin's assumption is correct on this one...

Guest giryan

I didn't think that BB was having a problem with rooting the ROM, wasn't that something he did right at the start?

I thought that the issues were with anonymising the build so he's not screwing over his source, and downgrading to the december update and then upgrading to 2.1 with that anonymised build.

Guest Azurren

As far as I'm aware paul has been given/offered the rom.

Every dev has to start somewhere, if you took everything away from them and do it yourself then they would never improve.

I believe paul has been working as a professional programmer, it's about supporting others not doing it for them.

I'm sure that paul will develop a custom rom when the official 2.1 rom is released.. Let bobo have a chance!

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hey guys, just cut it out!

Bobo is doing his best! First of all, HE was the one able to get the 2.1 leak! Or have you seen anyone else here or at xda with a 2.1 rom for the pulse?? I'm sure not.

He doesn't need to release the rom if he don't want to! He's doing it just to help the community, with absolutely NO obligations!

I want 2.1 just as much as you want but Bobo ISN'T Huawei, T-mobile, or so! We can't demand anything from him.

Let's all just chill and hope that he does his best.

Guest bindi

Bobo is doing his best! First of all, HE was the one able to get the 2.1 leak! Or have you seen anyone else here or at xda with a 2.1 rom for the pulse?? I'm sure not.

He doesn't need to release the rom if he don't want to! He's doing it just to help the community, with absolutely NO obligations!

I want 2.1 just as much as you want but Bobo ISN'T Huawei, T-mobile, or so! We can't demand anything from him.

Check out the other thread "2.1 wil be released in a fortnight..." Another guy "claims" to have downloaded it (2.1 ROM) from somewhere!!!

Post no 113

Edited by bindi

Guest sreeramu

Yes Bobo is doing best....

But we need to wait for 2.1 till Huawei Releases it.....

Guest MarcusHenrique
Check out the other thread "2.1 wil be released in a fortnight..." Another guy "claims" to have downloaded it (2.1 ROM) from somewhere!!!

Post no 113

It's pretty easy to say that you've 'found' something but you can't say where and don't give any proof. :P

In that case I've found a 2.2 leak, but I can't share nothing more guys. :D

Guest BigBearMDC

Hi guys

I'm not heaving porblems with rooting... I already rooted it and I even had root access through adb.

The problem is that it's not possible to flash the boot or recovery partition with fastboot, and I don't [exactly] know why.

My theory is that this update is a beta, so there are some things that aren't working properly, like fastboot.

As an example, fastboot doesn't even show when files are flashed to the device.

Normally it says something like

sending 'boot' (XYZ) ...
writing 'boot' (XYZ) ...[/code]

but it doesn't.

Therefore it shows the partition layout (I already posted that before), as if it was a debug version of fastboot that just shows additional information.

As the Pulse Mini root is based on superboot, that wouldn't work for the Pulse, as I just can't flash the recovery image.

I guess Paul couldn't help me either...

This is a software problem that can't be resolved without re-flashing the dec update, to get back the old fastboot mode.

I already have the rooted update.zip ready, just waiting to get flashed.

Best regards,

BigBear