U8110 Android 2.1 ROM

Guest BigBearMDC

We are so impatient because Huawei may not stick to the promise, or T-Mobile may delay it. And, who wants to be on 1.5 any longer than they have to be? :P

I see!

Man will I get mad at Huawei if they don't release this update now, 1.5 really is outdated at this point...

Guest Spooke

So Bigsy, you tell me a dev on here that can do that? :P

BigBears doing a fine job, I dont see any dev's that can root it trying to help or even ask to help..

Keep going don't listen to the 'non-believers' :P

Also Bigbear I think you should make a new thread with some updated information on ur status :D

Edited by Spooke

Guest Azurren
I'll try it too :P

And you are a dev! Stop being silly, you developed the Multitouch, you're getting 2.1 rooted! You're one of the most important of the Pulse community!

+1

Don't just listen to the hate bobo :D

Guest DanWilson
I see!

Man will I get mad at Huawei if they don't release this update now, 1.5 really is outdated at this point...

But if they dont release it, BigBear (Or Bobo :P) already has it so I dont care. Id rather it from BigBear than Huawei to be honest...

Guest David Horvath

About that sentence, i was joking really, dont take it even a bit seriously.. i regret that i've said that.. :P

Guest DanWilson
About that sentence, i was joking really, dont take it even a bit seriously.. i regret that i've said that.. :P

What sentence?

Guest feelmychi
+1

Don't just listen to the hate bobo :P

Bobo XD That reminds me of my first year of French XD Bobo est **sur** ou **avant** le table XD

Guest DanWilson
Bobo XD That reminds me of my first year of French XD Bobo est **sur** ou **avant** le table XD

Which means?...

Guest Tom G
BigBears doing a fine job, I dont see any dev's that can root it trying to help or even ask to help..

Maybe no one is offering to help because they don't know where help is needed and/or don't have the required resources (the rom). I have plenty of ideas but I don't know what BigBear has already tried and don't really understand what the problem is that he is stuck on (there isn't much info), and writing ideas then waiting a day (big time zone difference here) to maybe hear something back is not very interesting. I'm sure if BigBear wanted help from others he would be providing more info about the problem.

Can't the recovery image be flashed through fastboot. Couldn't the original huawei image be rooted then reflashed? I have the U8110 recovery image running rooted in the emulator. Maybe if I can get a copy of the U8220 2.1 recovery image I can get it running rooted on the phone.

I'm working on getting the U8110 normal image working in the emulator. It almost works but hits a loop in the init process somewhere.

PS. if you use the unpack-bootimg.pl script on the U8110 recovery image it will fail for two reasons. 1) The script doesn't work on boot images with data after the ramdisk (which all recovery images appear to have). 2) There isn't enough padding between the kernel and ramdisk. The second problem may be unique to the U8110 rom, however the first effects all Huawei recovery roms. I have a modified script to deal with those conditions if anyone wants it. I haven't modified the repack script, its easy enough to repack it manually.

Guest Ashbeard
Which means?...

Bobo is on or in front of the table. Probably a question too but I don't see a question mark.

Guest DanWilson
Maybe no one is offering to help because they don't know where help is needed and/or don't have the required resources (the rom). I have plenty of ideas but I don't know what BigBear has already tried and don't really understand what the problem is that he is stuck on (there isn't much info), and writing ideas then waiting a day (big time zone difference here) to maybe hear something back is not very interesting. I'm sure if BigBear wanted help from others he would be providing more info about the problem.

Can't the recovery image be flashed through fastboot. Couldn't the original huawei image be rooted then reflashed? I have the U8110 recovery image running rooted in the emulator. Maybe if I can get a copy of the U8220 2.1 recovery image I can get it running rooted on the phone.

I'm working on getting the U8110 normal image working in the emulator. It almost works but hits a loop in the init process somewhere.

PS. if you use the unpack-bootimg.pl script on the U8110 recovery image it will fail for two reasons. 1) The script doesn't work on boot images with data after the ramdisk (which all recovery images appear to have). 2) There isn't enough padding between the kernel and ramdisk. The second problem may be unique to the U8110 rom, however the first effects all Huawei recovery roms. I have a modified script to deal with those conditions if anyone wants it. I haven't modified the repack script, its easy enough to repack it manually.

If I remember, he cant change the image because of a checksum and he cant install the recovery normally because the partitions are different.

Bobo is on or in front of the table. Probably a question too but I don't see a question mark.

Thanks! Now I know some more French. (I'll forget it in minutes...)

Guest Tom G
If I remember, he cant change the image because of a checksum and he cant install the recovery normally because the partitions are different.

There are serveral ways to install an image. As far as I know fastboot does not use checksums, however I expect the Huawei recovery image (it has an option to install an update) will do some checks (checksum, phone version etc) to insure the image is genuine. As far as I know fastboot will let you flash what ever you want, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest DanWilson
There are serveral ways to install an image. As far as I know fastboot does not use checksums, however I expect the Huawei recovery image (it has an option to install an update) will do some checks (checksum, phone version etc) to insure the image is genuine. As far as I know fastboot will let you flash what ever you want, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Im afraid that I dont know if fastboot uses checksums or not, hopefully once BigBear (Or some dev) comes on he can tell us.

Guest zerosignull

Has BB tried decompiling the *img files creating a updata.zip and doing it that way? Is it worth trying to mix and match some files from the standard android 2.1 ROM emulator image into the pulse 2.1 img ??

Guest BigBearMDC

Okay, I'll explain it in detail.

I have currently two problems:

1. I can't flash any images using fastboot (at least not the recovery image)
    The problem is that the new update has a larger system partition, so the internal memory got repartitioned.
    The system image is now 107.9MBs large.
    Because the partitions have now a different size, or may be even out of order, I can't flash any images.
    Well, that's not entirely true, I can flash the images, but then strange things mught happen.
    As an example I flashed the amon-ra recovery image and ended up with two working recovery modes.
    That one from Huawei and the amon-ra recovery, but the system refused to boot.
    It just dropped me directly into the Huawei recovery mode.
    So I can't just flash the rooted boot.img.
    Another way would be to re-flash the system image, with an edited build.prop, to show another build number.

2. I can't install the dec update again
    Every UPDATA.APP works the same way (I think).
    One of the first things is to check if the device that tries to run the update is even upgradeable.
    Therefore, it just looks up the device's build number, and compares it with the build numbers that are in the upgradeable versions list.
    If they match, the device will be updated, if not, you'll get an error.
    So I decided to open up the UPDATA.APP with a HEX editor and just edit on of the upgradeable version strings.
    I did that and tried to flash it again, now it fails because there are checksums in that file, and I would have to regenerate them.
    And that's the problem.
    I neither know where nor what this checksums are.
What I will try now is to flash a system image with an edited build number.

If that works, I can reflash the dec update, and apply my eclair update.zip.

I can indeed flash other ROMs like the U8230 MCR without problems, but the fastboot mode still stays the same, and that's the problem.

Also I think that the touchscreen controller driver got updated because the touchscreen isn't working if I flash another ROM.

Greetings,

BigBear

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest mr.a
I did that and tried to flash it again, now it fails because there are checksums in that file, and I would have to regenerate them.

And that's the problem.

Greetings,

BigBear

Hi BigBear,

did you receive my message with the link for the program that might help you ? :P

Mr.A

EDIT: Don't matter, i got your reply :D

Edited by mr.a

Guest xangma

Can you get to fastboot? and boot the new ROM?

If so, surely you can just study the new partition table using adb then go into fastboot and flash stuff. I'm so confused.

Guest BigBearMDC
Can you get to fastboot? and boot the new ROM?

If so, surely you can just study the new partition table using adb then go into fastboot and flash stuff. I'm so confused.

Yeah I even know the new partition layout but I don't know how to flash stuff with an offset :D

By The Way ....

ROOT!

I flashed the rooted boot.img, I tried that before, and it drops me to the Huawei recovery mode.

But what I haven't tried is adb.

I did now, and wow, I have root access!

:P

But I can't boot up the system :P

Guest Tom G
Okay, I'll explain it in detail.

I have currently two problems:

1. I can't flash any images using fastboot (at least not the recovery image)
    The problem is that the new update has a larger system partition, so the internal memory got repartitioned.
    The system image is now 135.6MBs large.
    Because the partitions have now a different size, or may be even out of order, I can't flash any images.
    Well, that's not entirely true, I can flash the images, but then strange things mught happen.
    As an example I flashed the amon-ra recovery image and ended up with two working recovery modes.
    That one from Huawei and the amon-ra recovery, but the system refused to boot.
    It just dropped me directly into the Huawei recovery mode.
    So I can't just flash the rooted boot.img.
    Another way would be to re-flash the system image, with an edited build.prop, to show another build number.

2. I can't install the dec update again
    Every UPDATA.APP works the same way (I think).
    One of the first things is to check if the device that tries to run the update is even upgradeable.
    Therefore, it just looks up the device's build number, and compares it with the build numbers that are in the upgradeable versions list.
    If they match, the device will be updated, if not, you'll get an error.
    So I decided to open up the UPDATA.APP with a HEX editor and just edit on of the upgradeable version strings.
    And that's the problem.
What I will try now is to flash a system image with an edited build number.

If that works, I can reflash the dec update, and apply my eclair update.zip.

I can indeed flash other ROMs like the U8230 MCR without problems, but the fastboot mode still stays the same, and that's the problem.

Also I think that the touchscreen controller driver got updated because the touchscreen isn't working if I flash another ROM.

Greetings,

BigBear

Interesting. So fastboot is still seeing the old partition layout. Has the version info shown on the fastboot screen changed?

I'll do a bit more reading about fastboot. I think I saw some bootloader source somewhere...

Guest BigBearMDC
Interesting. So fastboot is still seeing the old partition layout. Has the version info shown on the fastboot screen changed?

I'll do a bit more reading about fastboot. I think I saw some bootloader source somewhere...

It changed entirely!

I'll upload a screenshot later.

Version: V0.5

Build Date: Apr 10 2010

and a few other things...

Fastboot now even shows the partition layout.

Guest Tom G
So once I found out how to flash the images with an specific offset, I'll have a fully rooted Eclair :P

I'm fairly sure fastboot won't let you specify an offset, but what happens if you flash them from adb shell now that you have root.

What partition info do you get from /proc/mtd and the kernel message buffer (dmesg) just after boot.