14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sh500
i've done exactly what you said every time i tried it however even in your picture the right column is highlighted and it does that in the image tab when you select all too. i did what you said word for word on two seperate cards (sandisk and kingston) and both ask for a format when i reconnect them to my pc

so annoyed and frustrated!!! just want to get to at least a tricky section!

I had similar problems when creating a gold card a few weeks back. Followed the instructions but the 'ID' error came up when running the RUU - implying the GC wasnt created properly- tried about 5 times!

I have read that it may be the card reader (or the card, but you have tried Kingston, which is known to work. I've just got a Sandisk one), my reader is a USB multi-card type. I'm going to give it another go with a 'direct SD to USB' reader and see if that helps. But I'm seeing people have bigger issues with the root process itself!

Edited by sh500

Guest The_IMF
no i did not.

easy to do ? i saw the menu on recovery...

Yes. You just go to partition (your sd card will be formatted) and it asks for swap (32mb) then ext size. I usually put in 1gb and the rest is your storage.

after partition, go to the menu which says ext2 -> ext3 and execute that.

That is all there is to it.

Guest The_IMF
who has a gold card they wanna sell me as i am too pissed off to spend another 8 hours trying to sort this sodding thing!?

Each goldcard is unique to the device it was created for I think.

Guest sh500
Each goldcard is unique to the device it was created for I think.

I believe it's unique to the actual SD card itself, but can be used on multiple devices.

Guest theboxman

Paul: Have you thought about bundling QEMU {www.qemu.org} in with the package? It ought to eliminate the need to burn anything or research virtual machines for those that don't know what they're doing? I've got an old version of QEMU and a .bat config file for launching it that I tweaked a little from another source {free to distribute} I'll try packing your custom ISO in with it and uploading it then post a link here. I'd test it on my own desire and create a youtube video for it but I'm still waiting for a few answers before I will do that.

Oh and @paul: would you like me to translate your original post into spanish? My spanish is far from perfect but at least it might give spanish speeking members here a helping hand! I'll await your permission and go ahead before attempting it.

Everyone else:

Any chance anyone could help with the points I raised at the top of page 24 of this topic? It's the only reason I'm not in the process of rooting my desire! Also a couple of points I'd like to know about on my post on page 13 of this topic....

Keen to get started doing this but looking for this clarification first!...Though from the look of things I'll still be waiting for a while until a ROM with both spanish and english is available......

Thanks for your great work from Scotland Paul! If ever I'm down south I owe you a drink! And probably I ought to consider add free once I get this up and running!

Guest gregDT
gregDT, did you use the TCL solution?

P

Nope I did it this morning using the original process. I cannot remember any of the Windows terminal commands though. I was for ever typing

ls

ls

arrggghhh

LS

err

dir

:huh:

I think things will be a whole lot easier for folks now they can use one OS to complete the whole process.

Guest Bakk15
Yes. You just go to partition (your sd card will be formatted) and it asks for swap (32mb) then ext size. I usually put in 1gb and the rest is your storage.

after partition, go to the menu which says ext2 -> ext3 and execute that.

That is all there is to it.

You are my man !!

thank you

Guest h00pyfr00d
same here, installed everything i want and now i am finished and waiting for paul for the new rom (without HTC crap).

now what? :huh:

Some good Nexus Launchers out there apparently. A Ruqq one is supposed to be the most feature-full...Might give that a go. Spare Parts seems to run well also.

My Bluetooth Car Kit just arrived too. All my christmases in one today!

Guest gregDT
i've done exactly what you said every time i tried it however even in your picture the right column is highlighted and it does that in the image tab when you select all too. i did what you said word for word on two seperate cards (sandisk and kingston) and both ask for a format when i reconnect them to my pc

so annoyed and frustrated!!! just want to get to at least a tricky section!

I've PM'd you in case you miss this post but highlighting the text in the right hand column isn't important. In the hex editor just click edit - select all - copy and then in the first tab (removable disk) highlight 0 to 170 and click - edit - paste write

Check this video and take note from 9.40 onwards http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/10/how-to-create-a-goldcard/

Hope it helps

Greg

Guest neowl
Nope I did it this morning using the original process. I cannot remember any of the Windows terminal commands though. I was for ever typing

ls

ls

arrggghhh

LS

err

dir

I think things will be a whole lot easier for folks now they can use one OS to complete the whole process.

Wait, what? Since when has this been possible, and which OS??

TCL root method is now the main method in the first post.

For posterity, here's the original method...

P

Downloads

To be ready for the guide, download the following items...

• the 'test ruu' - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: f1981b26b90b97aea395d2b30909a23f
  • the 'push files' - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 9ee301b702078dd1842bd1c67e552f6e
  • the 'rooted update' - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 44f2614452ddf777cab9115e2174a91a

The guide

Follow through these steps, one by one and at the end of it you'll have a rooted Desire with the latest ROM.

Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.

• Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!)
    • Copy the 'rooted update' you downloaded above to the root of your SD card, before replacing it into your device.
    • Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.
    • Connect the phone to your computer, then run the 'test ruu' that you downloaded above (it may take a short while to start). Let the update complete and turn your device off as soon as it reaches the configuration wizard. If you need USB drivers, you can find them as part of the HTC Sync install.
    • Your device should now be off. Unplug the device from your computer. Turn it on again while holding down the 'volume down' button this time. The screen will look similar to before, but will say 'HBOOT' instead of 'FASTBOOT'. Use the volume buttons and the power button to select the 'RECOVERY' option. You should then see a screen with a red triangle - at this point, plug it into your Linux or OSX computer.
    • Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.
    • In the recovery image (moving around using the optical trackball), select 'Wipe -> Wipe data /factory reset' then 'Flash zip from sdcard' and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the trackball and the update process will begin. It'll take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea.
    • When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :blink:

Guest gregDT
I am wondering about the allocation of space to partitions for optimum performance of the SD Card, for anyone interested, please see this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=672396

Opinions very welcome.

It probably depends on how big your SD card is. I have a 16GB card so went for 1024MB ext partition. That left me with masses left for pics, music and stuff. I'm a bit sad and don't have a lot of music so probably will never get close to filling it up. It's certainly far more than I need but I'm not short on space. I would guess 512MB would be enough for most apps etc. unless you plan on running vast numbers of apps and games.

Guest Mastoid
It probably depends on how big your SD card is. I have a 16GB card so went for 1024MB ext partition. That left me with masses left for pics, music and stuff. I'm a bit sad and don't have a lot of music so probably will never get close to filling it up. It's certainly far more than I need but I'm not short on space. I would guess 512MB would be enough for most apps etc. unless you plan on running vast numbers of apps and games.

Should I not bother to allocate any space to the swap partition then, don't see it helping much?

Guest gregDT
Anyone else looking at their amazing newly rooted Desire and thinking: "now what?" :-)

• Install a load of dumb games and not get any 'out of memory' messages.
  • Feel smug
  • Run Titanium Back-up
  • Run wifi teather

err that's about it :huh:

Guest gregDT
Should I not bother to allocate any space to the swap partition then, don't see it helping much?

I doubt it will make much difference. The phone already has 1/2 a gig of RAM. Someone cleverer than me (form an orderly queue please) may be able to explain why you don't want any swap file at all. I'd 'guess' it's that system RAM is much quicker to access than a swap file on an SD card?

Guest Mastoid
I doubt it will make much difference. The phone already has 1/2 a gig of RAM. Someone cleverer than me (form an orderly queue please) may be able to explain why you don't want any swap file at all. I'd 'guess' it's that system RAM is much quicker to access than a swap file on an SD card?

Yes, it would be slower to access the SD Card... argh, decisions, decisions :huh:

Could you shed any light on this Paul?