14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kingoffail

I appear to have bricked my device, which somewhat annoying.

I did the initial root, which worked fine. I then tried to apply apps2sd, which resulted in an endless reboot. I cleared the cache using the fastboot console as recommended and I can now at least get the phone to boot properly. Unfortunately, it won't connect to a mobile network and - more importantly - adb refuses to recognise the phone exists, so I can't re-apply the rootedupdate.zip...

Any idea?

Guest PitSyapa

Pls help. rooted my desire. installed app2sd, but does not seem to be working. with each installation, internal memory decreases, but in "root explorer" i can see applications in system/sd/app folder.

Secondly can you please advise how to put arabic fonts to my htc desire. is it recovery, throgh phone, by flash zip from sdcard method. thanks.

Guest GeoTrail
I appear to have bricked my device, which somewhat annoying.

I did the initial root, which worked fine. I then tried to apply apps2sd, which resulted in an endless reboot. I cleared the cache using the fastboot console as recommended and I can now at least get the phone to boot properly. Unfortunately, it won't connect to a mobile network and - more importantly - adb refuses to recognise the phone exists, so I can't re-apply the rootedupdate.zip...

Any idea?

You probably need to re-enter your APN settings.

Guest lomdar
Can't help you, just trying to vent my own frustrations: 4 (FOUR!) different cards (including the SanDisk 4 GB that came with the phone) from 3 manufacturers, 2 different computers, tried in phone, 2 different card readers and laptop's own card reader. No luck! Is it a sign that I must not root my Desire?!?

The thing is I remember doing a gold card to root a friend's Hero some time ago and it worked, I have not bought another card since, so why, WHY isn't it working now. I feel like an idiot, Paul managed to crack the damn thing all by himself and here I am not being able to follow some simple instructions.

Well, enough wining, I guess I'll call it a day and try again tomorrow.

I tried several cards too, what finally worked for me:

Insert the card in the Desire and format the card with the device, not with a card reader on your computer.

Then plug the Desire in the computer, switch to HardDrive mode and apply the Hexdump (use the physical drive!!!).

Write it back, unplug the Desire and hopefully it worked for you too an the Desire does not show any message that your sd card is corrupt.

Guest kingoffail
You probably need to re-enter your APN settings.

No, that isn't it.

Other symptoms: microsd card is not detected.

I suspect this is because /dev is knackered - I can't see anything in /dev/block relating to the SD card, only the on-phone flash.

Guest Lesleyv

Hi Paul,

When can we enjoy CM 5.0.6 ? I want to get rid of HTC Sense :P

I will Seed the torrent when i have finished the download :huh:

Guest primmen

Paul, I'm amazed about the energy you put into your work. Thank you for all your hard work!

I'll seed the torrent on my 100 Mbit/s pipe for as long as it's needed.

/prim

Guest cTrox
Hi Paul,

When can we enjoy CM 5.0.6 ? I want to get rid of HTC Sense :P

I will Seed the torrent when i have finished the download :huh:

Jep, CM 5.0.6 would be awesome!

Guest magicpie1980
Jep, CM 5.0.6 would be awesome!

Waiting for this genius to hook em up with that as well, Sense is soooo irritating!!!

I hope Paul can hook us up with the peashoot kernel for the 1.1mhz overclock;)

B

Guest magicpie1980
As I can see, there isn't a clear "how to" install app2sd, all instructions are confusing. lot of people have problems.

I have refused to install app2sd yet, gonna wait for the CM Mod before doing anything else;)

Guest lomdar

After I have rooted the device with the new linux ISO, how do I install A2SD? What does " (entered using the recovery-xxx.sh method)" mean? Sorry, I don't get it. Any help would be great!

Guest afiorillo
As I can see, there isn't a clear "how to" install app2sd, all instructions are confusing. lot of people have problems.

The "mini guide" here is pretty clear, IMHO.

Guest GeoTrail
Is it just me, or is the torrent not working very well?

The tracker keeps timing out...

There are only 6 half-way seeders. Give it some time :huh:

Guest primmen
Is it just me, or is the torrent not working very well?

The tracker keeps timing out...

Piratebay doesn't use the traditional tracker anymore. You need to enable DHT to download the torrent from there.

/prim

Guest z0nic
There are only 6 half-way seeders. Give it some time :huh:

That didn't make any sense...

Piratebay doesn't use the traditional tracker anymore. You need to enable DHT to download the torrent from there.

/prim

That did.. :P

Edited by z0nic

Guest gregDT
After I have rooted the device with the new linux ISO, how do I install A2SD? What does " (entered using the recovery-xxx.sh method)" mean? Sorry, I don't get it. Any help would be great!

You do exactly what you did the first time you ran recovery-linux.sh. Except rather than selecting the 'rootedupdate.zip' file you instead select the 'r1-a2sd-desire-signed.zip'. You need to drop this file onto the root of the goldcard before you begin, much like you did with the 'rootedupdate.zip' the first time. Basically if you want to install anything from the SD card you have to do it via a linux or mac shell. All the recovery-linux.sh does in effect is to get you to a screen on the phone that lets ypu flash installs, partition SD cards etc. There is no way of doing it just on the phone, hence the rather complicated workaround. Blame HTC and thank Paul :huh:

Once you have done this you need to remove the goldcard and insert the SD card you are going to use on your phone.

This card will be wiped in the process so back up anything on it you want to keep.

For the last time you go back into linux and the recovery-linux.sh.

This time you don't install anything, you just partition the SD card. Select zero for swap, anything you like between about 512MB and 1024MB for the ext2.

Then I suggest once that's done and before you unplug or switch off the phone convert the ext2 partition you just made to ext3.

Select reboot the phone from the options on the phones screen and then you're done

There is no A2SD app to see. But now you will install apps to the SD card and not the phones ROM.

You may see the amount of available ROM drop but it will be a fraction of the total (I have 76MB of apps on my phone but only lost 10MB from ROM in the process).

Edited by gregDT

Guest primmen
lol.. watching the peers we're all at about the same download point apart from the one seeder :-P

hehe, yeah...I'm currently seeding at about 42 Mbit/s and have so far uploaded 3.6 GB. I _just_ finished the download myself, so now I'm only seeding it =)

/prim

Guest Elemetrix

Torrent speed spiking like mad now.

Thanks gregDT for another helpful post. I was wondering, in order for apps2SD to work you partition the SD card.

Does this mean you won't be able to change SD card at a later date without losing all of your apps? I have an 8Gb card now but I do hope to get a 16GB card at some point.

20 seconds left on torrent :huh: