14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sparklehedgehog

i cant believe how many problems i have had doing this and am getting sick of it! i have read every single post on this thread and still havent got it rooted. been doing it since this thread went live yesterday and cant see how you lot are getting it done!

SO INFURIATING!!!

Guest Chrizs
Are you using VMWare?

I found the problem.. make sure VMWare is hosting the HTC not your host!

Got to VM > Removable Drives > Tick the HTC one and it will take over the USB from your host and should start the flash etc

I dont have HTC in the list

but i found this message at the bottom:

The connection to the VMware USB Arbitration Service was unsuccessful. Please check the status of this service in the Microsoft Management Console.

Guest BeRtjh
You probably need to use Windows to use ADB normally. Here are the steps:

Step 1: Boot up Windows

Step 2: Insert your MicroSD card.

Step 3: Go to Windows Explorer, then right-click on your MicroSD card here. Select 'Format..' and then choose FAT32 in the box. (BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!)

Step 4: Download the android SDK (in Windows) http://developer.android.com/sdk/download....r05-windows.zip and unzip it to your desktop.

Step 5: Open 'Command Prompt' and use 'cd' to browse to the folder on the desktop, then add 'cd tools'.

Step 6: Type 'dab shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid'. You'll get a long number back, copy this code.

Step 7: Go to the following URL: http://hexrev.soaa.me/ and enter your just copied code in the bar and then click submit, you'll get another code. Copy this one.

Step 8: Now go to this URL: http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html. Enter your e-mail address twice and use the just copied code under 'CID'. Now click 'Continue'.

Step 9: Go to your e-mail inbox and open the e-mail you got from PSAS. It has an attachment 'goldcard.img'. Download this to your Windows computer.

Step 10: Download HxD hex editor: http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD and install it to your Windows machine.

Step 11: Open the HxD hex editor, but run as Administrator under Windows Vista/7.

Step 12: Now click on Extra's and select 'Open Disk'. Under 'Physical Disk', select your MicroSD card, and uncheck 'Open as Read-Only'.

PAY ATTENTION YOU ARE SELECTING THE MICROSD CARD!!

Step 13: Go to the Extra's menu once again and select 'Open Disk Image…'. Open the goldcard.img you just downloaded from your e-mail. Pres OK when prompted for sector size; 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks).

Step 14: Your goldcard.img should be in front of you right now (check the tabs on the top).

Step 15: Go to the 'Edit' menu, choose 'Select All', then click the 'Edit' menu again and select 'Copy'.

Step 16: Click on the other tab on the top bar: Something like: 'Removable disk' (the tab you opened before the goldcard.img).

Step 17: Highlight line 00000000 to 00000170 (including 00000170 line!), then click the 'Edit' menu and select 'Paste Write'.

Step 18: Click on the 'File' menu and select 'Save'. Accept warnings.

You now have a GoldCard you can use for rooting your device. (Don't forget putting it in your phone whilst it is off, and then booting from it, with the needed updates found on the first page, Thanks to Paul for the root!).

Guest afiorillo
ANY HELP PLEASE?! i even extracted the rootedupdate.zip from the iso and that didnt work either named as update.zip or rootedupdate.zip

There's definitely something you're acting wrong, somewhere. I cannot say where, though.

Surely, it doesn't matter what name you give to the ZIP archive, once it IS a ZIP archive (open it w/ WinZip or WinRAR and "Test" it).

How do you put the files on the SD goldcard? I mean, exactly: what comman(s) do you issue, what environment you're working into?

Guest sparklehedgehog
There's definitely something you're acting wrong, somewhere. I cannot say where, though.

Surely, it doesn't matter what name you give to the ZIP archive, once it IS a ZIP archive (open it w/ WinZip or WinRAR and "Test" it).

How do you put the files on the SD goldcard? I mean, exactly: what comman(s) do you issue, what environment you're working into?

i put them direct to the root of my sdcard via drag n drop on my win7 32bit using file explorer and a sd card reader

:huh:

just gives me verification fail on the E: once i click to update.zip from sd

:P

Guest BeRtjh
i put them direct to the root of my sdcard via drag n drop on my win7 32bit using file explorer and a sd card reader

Try creating a GoldCard again... Method is couple of posts up..

Guest sparklehedgehog

i'm going to get some sleep as i got none last nght and have been on this all day and could happily cry right now. so worn by this. meant to be relatively simple but ive had nothing but crap from it. i know it works cause so many of you have it working.....

please pm me suggestions or reply to this and i'll try and gather enough will to bother tomorrow.

cheers for your help though

Guest Xeronage

For linux users, to create a goldcard just dd the image directly to your mmcblk0. As in:

sudo dd if='goldcard.img' of='/dev/mmcblk0'.

Guest afiorillo

OK, let's do a step after another. First, test the ZIP archive with WinZip or WinRAR AFTER you copy it onto the SD card: just to be sure you don't have a card reader (or card) failure somewhere. Safely remove it from Windows tray icon when you've finished.

Guest BeRtjh
i'm going to get some sleep as i got none last nght and have been on this all day and could happily cry right now. so worn by this. meant to be relatively simple but ive had nothing but crap from it. i know it works cause so many of you have it working.....

please pm me suggestions or reply to this and i'll try and gather enough will to bother tomorrow.

cheers for your help though

You're probably doing one step wrong. Can't tell which one tho. You can write down the steps you take into making a GoldCard here. I'll try to look over them. Good night if you're going to sleep rite now

Guest afiorillo
For linux users, to create a goldcard just dd the image directly to your mmcblk0. As in:

sudo dd if='goldcard.img' of='/dev/mmcblk0'.

That sounds great. Does the SD card needs to be empty / just FAT32 formatted in order to achieve that?

Guest mrshark
Yes although it will eliminate the necessity of having a blank CD/DVD around and restarting your computer. The first costs money and time and the second might take ages if you were using windoze - Good old ubuntu is, of course, a different story! I'm going to upload my version of QEMU for those that don't wish to go through the whole burning rebooting process.

Should simply be a matter of popping the iso file into the root directory of the zip, calling it current.iso [as I'm too lazy to rewrite the .bat file to point to whatever the exact file name of the new file is or whatever the new-ones may be!] and click it in windows......

Course I haven't tried it....I'm still waiting for definate confirmation that the ROM has both spanish and english languages....If it doesn't has both I can't use it yet :-D However the second that happens my device is getting rooted! ;-)

instead of calling qemu with: -cdrom current.iso

you could use: -cdrom *.iso

so the name is ininfluent...

the problem is, instead, that usb support on windows compiled binaries is not always present or functional... tried 3 different build of qemu...

for language, it was repeated 2 o 3 times: rom includes french, german and english, plus a language that is different from country to country, and linked to the sim card inserted... so, spanish for you, italian for me :-)

Edited by mrshark

Guest kingoffail

Ok, so my phone is still knackered. I've attempted to reflash using the new "easy" method, and I successfully complete step 1. Step 2 immediately fails with "error: device not found" - despite the red triangle being on screen.

Anyone?

Guest BeRtjh
Ok, so my phone is still knackered. I've attempted to reflash using the new "easy" method, and I successfully complete step 1. Step 2 immediately fails with "error: device not found" - despite the red triangle being on screen.

Anyone?

Are you using a Virtual Machine?

Guest afiorillo
so are you saying that i should have the push files on the sd card too and unzipped as well as the rootedupdate.zip? i never unzipped the rootedupdate file, just meant i took it from the linux iso thingy

im using the r3 version of this rooting method

so what files (word for word cause i'm crap at this) should i have on my sd card to enable me to do the update.zip function?

cheers in advance!

Just readed this.

At this stage, the only file you need to be on the goldcard is rootedupdate.zip

Guest mrshark
i cant believe how many problems i have had doing this and am getting sick of it! i have read every single post on this thread and still havent got it rooted. been doing it since this thread went live yesterday and cant see how you lot are getting it done!

SO INFURIATING!!!

as you stated in previous post, you read but not apply what you read...

so, 2 options: relax and do things AS THEY ARE WRITTEN, or find a friend with more self control...

Guest kingoffail
Are you using a Virtual Machine?

Yes. When the phone is in recovery mode, it doesn't show up as a USB device at all, on the host or on the VM. On a Linux host, this is confirmed with lsusb which just shows the other devices connected to the system.

Guest Elemetrix

I have just partitioned my SD after installing apps2sd. while i'm still in this menu should I be changing EXT2 to EXT3 or any of that stuff? or can I finally reboot into the OS!

Guest BeRtjh
Yes. When the phone is in recovery mode, it doesn't show up as a USB device at all, on the host or on the VM. On a Linux host, this is confirmed with lsusb which just shows the other devices connected to the system.

What systems are you using and have you tried disconnecting it, rebooting it, and then connecting it again?

Guest BeRtjh
I have just partitioned my SD after installing apps2sd. while i'm still in this menu should I be changing EXT2 to EXT3 or any of that stuff? or can I finally reboot into the OS!

What's your current partition setup?