14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Xeronage
As far as you know, converting ext2 to ext3 will wipe the partition?

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think so. Converting it back from ext3 to ext2 won't.

EDIT: Yep, now I'm sure. Look up tune2fs with the -j parameter.

Edited by Xeronage

Guest Elemetrix
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. If you install A2SD and partition an SD card you obviously have to stick with that card or you loose all your apps. However the first thing you should install after getting root and installing A2SD is Titanium Backup and pay for the full version. Now you can make a complete backup of your apps. Now copy the backup off the SD card to a PC. Partition the new SD card, copy the backup to the new SD card and finally re-install Titanium and restore all your apps. Sorted :huh:

so I had Superuser and apps2sd but lost them in changing my card?

Guest afiorillo
so I had Superuser and apps2sd but lost them in changing my card?

Such things are not stored on the SD card. The goldcard is needed ONLY to flash the update(s), after that you can safely remove it.

Guest Klaus_Kinski

Hi,

actually everything works fine, until i get into the system recovery. I'm not able to scroll with the volume buttons at this point. Sadly also the input command is missing in the image, thus i also can't send it manually. How do I wipe and and install the rom then?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks,

Klaus Kinski

Guest afiorillo
I'm not entirely sure but I don't think so. Converting it back from ext3 to ext2 won't.

EDIT: Yep, now I'm sure. Look up tune2fs with the -j parameter.

Thanks pal. So I'm going to upgrade my ext2 partition. :huh:

Guest Xeronage
Hi,

actually everything works fine, until i get into the system recovery. I'm not able to scroll with the volume buttons at this point. Sadly also the input command is missing in the image, thus i also can't send it manually. How do I wipe and and install the rom then?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks,

Klaus Kinski

Use the trackpad from that point on. I made the same mistake. And what do you mean by input command?

Guest kingoffail
Try disconnecting your phone, turning it off, rebooting in recovery mode and then connecting it again.. Make sure you mount your phone to the VM (Never used Arch Linux tho, can't tell you how hehe)

Also i used the traditional method of rooting, not the iso.

Tried that, no joy.

I'm beginning to suspect this phone is shagged :huh:

Guest Xeronage
Tried that, no joy.

I'm beginning to suspect this phone is shagged :huh:

Hmm, is there any form of complete factory recovery still left? I haven't played around with it much so I don't know. By the way, Arch Linux is a great distro, I wish more people used it :-)

Guest d.code

Please, can someone tell me, how to instal A2SD after rooting via TLC? What is the procedure? copy a2sd.zip to goldcard, then what?

thank you

Guest Si Pie

I'm running the TinyCore cd (or trying).

Created a goldcard and have burnt the iso image. Boots to Linux fine, open terminal, switch on phone with back button held down, start typing commands in terminal and the following happens when I get to the second line:

mount: mounting /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom failed: No medium found.

What have I missed? Is it something to do with the goldcard?

Guest theboxman
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. If you install A2SD and partition an SD card you obviously have to stick with that card or you loose all your apps. However the first thing you should install after getting root and installing A2SD is Titanium Backup and pay for the full version. Now you can make a complete backup of your apps. Now copy the backup off the SD card to a PC. Partition the new SD card, copy the backup to the new SD card and finally re-install Titanium and restore all your apps. Sorted :huh:

Would it not be possible to simply mount the ex2/ex3 partition and copy the apps of in ubuntu without the need for another program and two copies of everything on the device?

Also there's an exe I used to use to asccess extended partitions from windows so that I could access documents and things on my linux installation while booted into windows......

Are the extra languages that are appearing actually within the ROM and only appearing because of the SIM or are they somehow saved on the sim or downloaded from the net on boot or something? I'm soooooooooo keen to get doing this but my SIM will almost certainly not give me spanish - it being from Orange UK - and I really need both spanish and english on my handset. Any ideas? anyone have a ROM including english and spanish that could somehow be modified in the same way as the one that we're all flashing just now?

Guest kiokoman

use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

you need the iso from paul and you need r1-a2sd-desire-signed.zip

you can modify step2.sh and run it or

copy/past in terminal this after entering the root directory of the iso

sudo ./adb push files /

sudo ./adb shell busybox --install /sbin

sudo ./adb shell mount /sdcard

sudo ./adb push r1-a2sd-desire-signed.zip /sdcard

sudo ./adb shell /sbin/recovery &

When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'r1-a2sd-desire-signed.zip'. not rootedupdate.zip !

sorry my english is not very good so i have to copy/paste some sentences from paul and step2.sh

hope this help

as suggested from luqq in his miniguide after turning on the phone and connected it normaly to the pc to be sure :

sudo ./adb shell

busybox df -h

you should see something like

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

[bIG CUT]

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 457.0M 9.9M 422.7M 2% /system/sd

Edited by kiokoman

Guest Elemetrix

Just flashed again with r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-upgrade-signed.zip using my goldcard and the superuser icon is still missing and it starts with only 84MB space available. Installed a few apps and it quickly eats through the memory.

I'm lost.

Guest Biliskner

I used Paul's a2sd file from page 1. That's what broked it. I just want to reflash the file but cannot get adb to push anything to my device 'cos it's 'device not found'. Maybe the RUU file can be replaced with the rootupdated ROM and flashed that way? Anyone know?

Guest charlie_boy

Thanks paul.

Excellent stuff.

Would you like me to provide a mirror host for that ISO image? Took me ages to download it! I guess me and virtually every other desire owner out there ; )

I did have a spot of bother because I started the process and was reading along at the time you changed the method and provided the ready made image file so I was half way through! Just started again and it was easy peasy. I think I was probably fortunate to get the revised instructions before I had gone to far. seems too easy now!

I do have a quick question. It seems (Unless I'm being thick, which is perfectly feasible) that since you changed the root instructions the a2sd instructions don't make sense anymore. I guess the recover-xxx.sh is still there in the image you provide but without reference to it in the root instructions I feel a bit lost. I will, when I've finished posting, boot back to the CD and see if I can find it in the image and muddle through.

Any way, main reason for posting was to thank you and offer some bandwidth to host the file(s). I could give you say 50mbps with little effect on my server.

Thanks again!

Guest kiokoman
I used Paul's a2sd file from page 1. That's what broked it. I just want to reflash the file but cannot get adb to push anything to my device 'cos it's 'device not found'. Maybe the RUU file can be replaced with the rootupdated ROM and flashed that way? Anyone know?

try to repet step1 and step2 as instructed from paul in post1 remember to wipe. but after you apply 'rootedupdate.zip' do not reboot but turn off. turn on with the back key pressed and retry with the instruction i have posted before.

Guest Biliskner
connected in sync mode ?

Yes, the phone is 'ready' to receive with red-triangle on the screen. But Linux still says 'device not found'. Tried plugging it after red triangle appears, and also tried plugging in before. Same result.

Guest Biliskner
try to repet step1 and step2 as instructed from paul in post1 remember to wipe. but after you apply 'rootedupdate.zip' do not reboot but turn off. turn on with the back key pressed and retry with the instruction i have posted before.

I cannot get the phone into Green Recovery Menu because Linux/ADB says "device not found" (see post above). The Green Recovery Menu worked *before* I flashed Apps2SD. Now, nothing works (except testRUU, I can flash that.)

Guest kiokoman
I cannot get the phone into Green Recovery Menu because Linux/ADB says "device not found" (see post above). The Green Recovery Menu worked *before* I flashed Apps2SD. Now, nothing works (except testRUU, I can flash that.)

are you booting from cd or vm ? i trust my kubuntu installation with my personal kernel, this is why i have extracted only the script from the iso.. don't know.. sorry. i can only suggest you to boot from cd if you are not

Guest Biliskner
are you booting from cd or vm ? i trust my kubuntu installation with my personal kernel, this is why i have extracted only the script from the iso.. don't know.. sorry. i can only suggest you to boot from cd if you are not

Na I gave up on VM a long time ago. I booted Ubuntu on my laptop (full install on HDD), then I used Paul's TinyCore ISO and booted it on my old desktop machine from CD. Both are loading 100% from Linux. The USB is not the problem (since r3 flashes step1.sh fine) but when it goes to step2.sh pushing files using ADB, it suddenly says: "device not found"?

Weird. I don't understand it.