14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Biliskner
sudo ./adb root

sudo ./adb usb

sudo ./adb devices

before step2.sh

?

root:

<device not found>

usb:

<device not found>

devices:

<List of devices>

(empty line)

Question re Radio ROM for the HTC Desire that will work on AT&T netwrok 3G. I understand that N! does so is the rooted HTC Desire the same? Do we have user control on the radio?

Guest charlie_boy

Well,

I tried to get the aps2sd to work...

First I just went back through the rooting process but instead of wiping and flashing the update I just flashed to aps2sd zip, which I had copied to my goldcard, without a wipe. This gave me a boot up loop on the quietly brilliant screen.

Then I tried reflashing the whole thing but when i got to the end of reflashing the rom I also ran the aps2sd which I had manually copied to my goldcard but still had the boot up loop.

Reflashed again as per the original rooting process and got the phone to work again but no aps 2sd of course. Have I missed something really obvious?

Sence UI now seems to have really bad quality graphics with faint horizontal lines everywhere. Don't think it was like that before.

Any help much appreciated!

Guest billydavey

Ok guys, I'm extremely stuck here.

I've completed the first few steps, goldcard etc. I can get the terminal up and enter the code as far as Step1. Then I get a 'waiting for device' on screen and nothing ever happens. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Virtual Box on a Vista PC.

Thanks

Guest kiokoman
Ok guys, I'm extremely stuck here.

I've completed the first few steps, goldcard etc. I can get the terminal up and enter the code as far as Step1. Then I get a 'waiting for device' on screen and nothing ever happens. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Virtual Box on a Vista PC.

Thanks

burn the iso and boot from cd there is a lot of people complaining about virtual box

Guest billydavey
burn the iso and boot from cd there is a lot of people complaining about virtual box

Ok, thanks Kiokoman, I'll try that when I get home.

Guest eitan.ku

Hi All

I try to do the job of getting root to my Desier.

1. I create the goldcard

2. I download and run (at vm) the linux

3. The cmd line, step1 and step2 are run ok.

but

at recovey mode, i select the wipe option and cannot find the apply update from sdcard.

Any help ?

Other question

After i will have the root.

How to install the hebrew font.

Please write for me full description (or agood link).

Thanks

Eitan

Guest Biliskner
I appear to have bricked my device, which somewhat annoying.

I did the initial root, which worked fine. I then tried to apply apps2sd, which resulted in an endless reboot. I cleared the cache using the fastboot console as recommended and I can now at least get the phone to boot properly. Unfortunately, it won't connect to a mobile network and - more importantly - adb refuses to recognise the phone exists, so I can't re-apply the rootedupdate.zip...

Any idea?

come here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...451#post6344451

Guest Biliskner
but

at recovey mode, i select the wipe option and cannot find the apply update from sdcard.

Any help ?

Go to this page http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...ethod/page/560/

and look for Paul's post and click on the link that says "Rooted ROM download" and copy that whole file (do NOT unzip) into your SD Card. Then you can select the wipe option and apply update from sdcard

Guest MRvandalay
Sorry for the delay in posting a reply. If you install A2SD and partition an SD card you obviously have to stick with that card or you loose all your apps. However the first thing you should install after getting root and installing A2SD is Titanium Backup and pay for the full version. Now you can make a complete backup of your apps. Now copy the backup off the SD card to a PC. Partition the new SD card, copy the backup to the new SD card and finally re-install Titanium and restore all your apps. Sorted :P

i would just like to share my experience....

i installed a2sd and after i partitioned my sd card and installed a few apps... than i wanted more space on my ext2 partition so i just did the whole thing again and used more space form my ext2 part... BUT when i put my sd card back i lost all the apps INCLUDING MARKETPLACE... i knew that i'll lose all the installed apps and thats fine but without marketplace i can't install astro and without file manager i can't install anything else! am i missing something... pretty new to android...been on winmo for about 5 yrs :huh:

the bottom line is that backing up with titanium is pointless if you can't install titanium after switching sd cards

Guest joenstrup

Using method R3:

Step1.sh gave a "FAILED (remote:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" but continued and completed?

Step2.sh is not going well!

It stops at push line #4 (files/sbin/unyaffs -> sbin/unyaffs).

Nothing happens. I have now waited several hours.

PLEASE HELP?

Guest mrshark
@MrShark: Yes I read that there was no spanish in the ROM and you'd get another one from your SIM and given your sim was italian you got italian.....My sim's from the UK hence I've no confidence whatsoever that I'll end up with spanish if it's not on the original ROM.....

Looks like I won't get to do this until a new ROM becomes available. :-{

nothing that cannot be corrected after flashing ;-)

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...ocale-qnpC.aspx

Guest Elemetrix

Could somebody please explain how to install AP2SD having used the R3 (TCL ISO) method of rooting.

I am assuming the scripts step1.sh and step2.sh are doing more than needed to get back into the recovery menu and it's messing something up.

Guest mrshark
Hi ,

Im on linux & i'm stuck any help would be appreciated..

I get to the step.

sudo ./stepl.sh

but get "command not found"

any ideas?

just copy the commands CORRECTLY... it's step1, not stepl...

Guest webron

Hi everyone,

I seem to encounter the same problem, and reading back a few pages, there's another guy with the same issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Using method R3:

Step1.sh gave a "FAILED (remote:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" but continued and completed?

Step2.sh is not going well!

It stops at push line #4 (files/sbin/unyaffs -> sbin/unyaffs).

Nothing happens. I have now waited several hours.

PLEASE HELP?