14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tonemgub

i have a little question... if the steps are working for the other people, its then possible to write an wizzard to make it step by step.

Or an boot CD (yes...r3-tinycore_2.10-desireroot.iso i know) with all information and troubleshooting?

this make it more easy.

Guest pappagussepi

Just want to say,

I tried this rooting guide and the first time it didn't work.

I recieved an error that failed in the first installation, when i booted into the Linux component and tried to run the commands i recieved a failed message around "testimage.zip"

everything failed from there on in.

However the pc that I first tried it on had many usb ports and was a high end desktop

I tried the same process on a old skool laptop with minimal peripherals, and it worked a treat first time.

the image is excellent, all my annoying Telstra addons are removed and the functions are all perfect

Thank you !

Guest afiorillo
[...]

Can anybody please explain the steps to run a2sd with the use of te last rooting guide in mind.

[...]

You'll have to download the 'old' pushfiles.zip (you can find it here), expand it at a location of your choice on your hard disk, boot up Linux (whatever you want) and follow the instructions for entering Recovery Mode and flashing an update ZIP file (from the goldcard) that can be found in the old tutorial, located in the same repository linked above.

Guest afiorillo
PLEASE SOLVE THIS!

sparklehedgehog, YOU are the only man that can solve your problem: please notice that nobody here has the same issues as you have, so clearly you're missing something.

Restart from scratch erasing all files, cleaning your desk and your mind, keeping in mind that it actually WORKS.

Just as an advice: rooting this baby is pretty much like assembling an Ikea furniture: you are required to switch off your brain and follow the instructions without making any assumption, without presuming anything, without asking yourself "what if...?" or "why?", just read and act, step by step, carefully and calm. Please trust Paul and the others that helped here, nobody is trying to brick your Desire.

Good luck. :huh:

Guest afiorillo
[...]

I recieved an error that failed in the first installation, when i booted into the Linux component and tried to run the commands i recieved a failed message around "testimage.zip"

However the pc that I first tried it on had many usb ports and was a high end desktop

I tried the same process on a old skool laptop with minimal peripherals, and it worked a treat first time. [...]

OK, this gives the chance to remember a basical requirement when dealing with interfacing complex devices like this baby: USE A CLEAN PC! No active crapware, no messed up Windows installations, no three-hours-boot-up PCs, no 45-port-coffee-making-nuclear-powered USB hubs. Turn off antivirus, firewalls, antiadwares and all things like that, especially if you're one of that VM-fan guys, just to add variables to variables.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest eitan.ku

Hi

I manage to do the root (I hop)

Now, I need to copy the fonts

I extract the fonts zip to c:\fonts

I set my Desier to be at recovery mode

And run the adb push /fonts /system/fonts

I get a message - 5 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

I run - adb reboot

And after the reboot I don’t have the Hebrew fonts – I get small boxes

Any help ?

Thanks

Guest adventure1001

could someone please advise on my post from the last page i keep geeting input/output error

any one with an idea of how to get around this

i have tried live cd and VM with no sucsess also tried the old method and still nothing i have manged to get my Desir back to life but that is it.

Please can some one help

Guest afiorillo
could someone please advise on my post from the last page i keep geeting input/output error

any one with an idea of how to get around this

i have tried live cd and VM with no sucsess also tried the old method and still nothing i have manged to get my Desir back to life but that is it.

Please can some one help

You should be more specific about those "input/output errors".

By the way, back to the old method, you should be more specific on that "i'm stuck on the recovery": what do you mean? Please note that at that stage you're required to use the Desire' optical trackpad for moving in the menus, rather that the volume buttons.

Guest Si Pie
Just want to say,

I tried the same process on a old skool laptop with minimal peripherals, and it worked a treat first time.

the image is excellent, all my annoying Telstra addons are removed and the functions are all perfect

Thank you !

+1 for this advice. Works on my laptop but not on my desktop. I suspect it's because I use my front panel usb slots and they probably didn't register the phone was connected when in the linux cd Paul has kindly sorted out for us all.

Guest mikeo
You'll have to download the 'old' pushfiles.zip (you can find it here), expand it at a location of your choice on your hard disk, boot up Linux (whatever you want) and follow the instructions for entering Recovery Mode and flashing an update ZIP file (from the goldcard) that can be found in the old tutorial, located in the same repository linked above.

Thanks for your reply. The probleem is that i use the ISO method of paul but i don't get the part if installation. Search all morning but can't find the info what to do en type when i boot the pc with the linux cd from paul.

I guess i need to start the phone in the revovery mode ( black screen with the Red triangel)

Then connect the phone to the pc and start the terminal.

I hope these steps are correct ?

But then i don't know what to type. Also because it's a bootcd i can't get the pushfiles.zip to that cd.

I also read that you need te prepare the SD card with and ext partition.

So i'm stuck for now. I you can help met with this that would be great.

Guest chrisfloyd1982
Are you behind some kind of firewall/proxy? I had the same issue yesterday from my work place, solved once reached home.

Figured the problem download wouldnt work with Google Chrome worked first time on IE cheers

Guest adventure1001
You should be more specific about those "input/output errors".

By the way, back to the old method, you should be more specific on that "i'm stuck on the recovery": what do you mean? Please note that at that stage you're required to use the Desire' optical trackpad for moving in the menus, rather that the volume buttons.

i can't be more specific about input/output that is all the info i get in the terminal when i try to run ./step1.sh from live cd and VM

on the old method it gets stuck at the red triangle screen so no trackpad use

I have redone my goldcard on 3 cards to see if this is the cause but doesn't to to be

Guest Ceased2be

BootCD worked like a charm! But now I'm struggling to get the radio-update on my Desire.

Downloaded the old pushfiles.zip put them on my cd and booted with the new ubuntu 10.04 image. But when run the recovery-linux.sh as root I get a 'command not found' error.

Is this a shortcoming of the live-cd or am I missing something?

Guest hassand

i wiped my desire while rooting it

do i need to wipe it again to install a2sd?

if yes, for the future cases do i need to wipe it everytime i install something via recovery?

Guest akuma-ex

in terminal in virtuabox after doing all the steps i do $ sudo ./step1.sh but nothing do and if i go in recovery i'll appear a red triangle -.- immaginekg.jpg

Guest theboxman
nothing that cannot be corrected after flashing ;-)

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...ocale-qnpC.aspx

Woot! Thanks!

Ok that clinches it. This device gets rooted today.

If I needed anymore reason it's just given me the low space notification and has stopped installing more apps....Seems it took about a day to fill the entire memory!

@everyone:

I think I may have found a way of saving your apps - although I now need to think of which device to back them up to....for some reason my computer isn't appearing. I think it's got a problem with the bluetooth stack.

Using 'Bluetooth file transfer' by Medieval Software {it's on the Market Place) you can send applications. If you use the menu button on the send scene there's a select all option.

I'll try and get my bluetooth working over here. Just wanted to post the option up here in case anyone else wants to try saving their programs

Guest freeborn

Please let me know how long that normally use in step2 ?

I was stopping more than an hour at

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

Guest sparklehedgehog
sparklehedgehog, YOU are the only man that can solve your problem: please notice that nobody here has the same issues as you have, so clearly you're missing something.

Restart from scratch erasing all files, cleaning your desk and your mind, keeping in mind that it actually WORKS.

Just as an advice: rooting this baby is pretty much like assembling an Ikea furniture: you are required to switch off your brain and follow the instructions without making any assumption, without presuming anything, without asking yourself "what if...?" or "why?", just read and act, step by step, carefully and calm. Please trust Paul and the others that helped here, nobody is trying to brick your Desire.

Good luck. :huh:

firstly i find this pretty crap that nobody is willing to help beyond a couple of questions! pull the ladder up Jack springs to mind!

All i want an answer to is why my update.zip fails verification. not a hard one for you lot clearly as you all seem to know so much! i have redone everything more times than you can imagine as like i said i spent nearly 24 hours of my life on this and still am not there! it is the last step i need an answer on, i'm close.

wouldn't hurt rather than just saying "you're the problem!" when that really doesn't help in any way. i've tried R1 and R3 variants of this and sorted my goldcard problems out but am just stuck now.

i'd pay someone to solve it!

Guest DavidThack

Hi.

It would be very usefull if someone could do a method on how to use the ISO cd to install the APP2SD for us noobs that arnt used to using linux commands.

The iso was a great help i was dreading using the commands but with the CD made it was easy to do,Thanks.

Great job Paul on rooting the Desire. :huh:

Guest afiorillo
Thanks for your reply. The probleem is that i use the ISO method of paul but i don't get the part if installation.

Yep, many has noticed that: once updated the process with the ISO things, the A2SD part was left behind. Just follow my instructions provided below and you'll be fine. :P

BE ADVISED: you're about to act under your sole responsibility. :blink: Read carefully these instructions and follow it step by step: don't make assumptions, don't experiment.

**EDITED AND FIXED**

Print out this post for your convenience.

You'll need two MicroSD cards: one is the goldcard (a goldcard is needed only if your Desire comes from a Telco operator (T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone and so on), in any other case a spare MicroSD will be sufficient; for semplicity, I'll refer to this MicroSD as "the goldcard"), the other is the one you'll use with A2SD. WARNING: This implies wiping the Desire and the second MicroSD card, so backup your stuff before starting up.

1. Have your goldcard ready.
  2. Now you have two options: if you are already familiar with Linux, download and burn on a CD any Linux LiveCD or use the already installed one if applicable. I suggest NOT TO USE VIRTUAL MACHINES here, you'll have a much easier life. Virtualizing things is cool, but we're doing some serious stuff here. So act plain and straightforward. If you choose Linux, download and extract this file in a folder of your choice, to be used later. However, if you prefer using Windows, download and extract this other file (thanks to nilezon, here).
  3. If appropriate, boot your computer from the downloaded LiveCD.
  4. Turn off the Desire and insert the goldcard into the MicroSD slot.
  5. Turn on the Desire the normal way; once booted up, connect it to your computer (DO NOT USE USB HUBS, NOR USB FRONT PORTS ON DESKTOPS, NO RETRACTABLE-AUTOREWIND-CRAPCABLES and so on; also, make sure your Desire is the only USB device attached to the computer) and choose "Disk unit" (or whatever English locale will show for "USB host").
  6. Download this file (it's the A2SD enhanced version, the one that moves dalvik-cache too, freeing an extra 20 MB or so -- thanks to PaulW21781, here) and copy it on the goldcard that in the meantime appears as a new icon on the Linux desktop or as a autorun prompt in Windows. You have to copy the file on the root folder of the goldcard, leaving it untouched (DO NOT uncompress it, DO NOT rename it, leave it alone).
  7. Unmount the goldcard from Linux/Windows using the proper command.
  8. Unplug the Desire from the computer and turn it off.
  9. Leaving the goldcard in, turn it on again pressing the power button and volume down button.
  10. After a few seconds, you enter the bootloader: wait a couple of seconds again and, using the volume down button, hilight the green RECOVERY item; press the power button to select it.
  11. The Desire will reboot and show the red triangle screen (no way to escape it without pulling the battery).
  12. Plug again the Desire to the computer: nothing happens.
  13. If running Linux, open a terminal window, move to the folder where you extracted the pushfiles.zip earlier and copy/paste in it the following commands as a block, issuing an extra <enter> at the end:
    ./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./adb-linux start-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

If running Windows, locate in Windows Explorer the folder where you extracted pushfiles_windows.zip earlier and double-click recovery-windows.bat (or "recovery-windows" alone if you have turned off the file extensions display).

14. You'll see a bunch of log lines scroll on the terminal (or command prompt) window stating that some files are being "pushed" to the device. It'll take 7/8 seconds or so to finish.
  15. Looking back at the Desire, you'll see that the red triangle screen is gone and a greenish recovery console appeared.
  16. Using the optical trackpad (press it to confirm choices) perform a "Wipe" -> "Wipe data/factory reset" (followed by a "Wipe cache" and a "Wipe Dalvik-cache" to be sure). Press Volume Down to go back to the main menu.
  17. Select now "Flash zip from sdcard" and select "r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-fresh-signed.zip"; confirm and wait.
  18. Once flashing is over, select the "Power off" command.
  19. Unplug the Desire from the USB port and open it pulling the battery.
  20. Swap the goldcard with the main one. Place the goldcard in a safe place. The new one is not required to be already formatted/partitioned: you're going to do that in a few minutes. Just remember that you're about to wipe it off, so backup its contents (if applicable).
  21. Reinsert the battery, apply the back cover.
  22. Turn on the Desire pressing the Volume Down key again: you have to re-enter the greenish Recovery Console.
  23. So, repeat the steps from 10 to 15.
  24. Using the optical trackpad, now select "Partition sdcard" -> "Partition SD" and issue a SWAP=0, EXT2=512, FAT32=<remaining> partition command (read carefully the instructions provided on-screen by the procedure, you'll have to use the volume keys too, here).
  25. Find and issue the "SD:ext2 to ext3" command. DO NOT upgrade the partition to ext4: the more isn't always the merrier.
  26. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select "Reboot system now". While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.
  27. You're done. Just perform the initial configuration wizard and you're ready to go.
  28. From now on, the apps will be installed into the (normally invisible, since you don't use adb) ext3 partition, the dalvik-cache will be redirected to the memory card too and you can install hundreds of apps without running out of storage space (the only limit is the 512 MB chosen @step 24: increase or decrease it according to your needs. Just keep in mind that an unrooted Desire gives you 130 MB of space).
Please note that flashing a ROM will wipe A2SD too. This implies two things:
  1. If something goes wrong while installing A2SD with the above procedure (or with any other procedure, such an endless reboot at the "quietly brilliant" screen), you can still re-flash rootedupdate.zip to roll back and start over (in the toughest cases, try this workaround; in any case, RE-READ THIS TUTORIAL CAREFULLY). Just re-enter the Recovery Console using steps 9 to 15 above after having copied rootedupdate.zip on the goldcard.
  2. If you'll flash another ROM that does not contain A2SD, you'll loose it and you'll need to repeat the steps above.
Hope this helps. :huh: Edited by afiorillo