14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest DavidThack

Thanks afiorillo, the information to do the APPS2SD.

I will try it tonight and hopefully manage to do it.

Is a great help when someone gives full details to follow step by step.

Makes life alot easier.

Cheers,Dave.

Guest Sebacestmoi

Hello everybody.

I've got a problem I am on the fastboot screen with my GoldCard inserted in my HTC Desire with the rootedupdate.zip in root of the SD card.

When I type:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

the computer return my the following message:

No such file or directory

What must I do or what I do wrong? Thanks for the help

Guest Klaus_Kinski
Use the trackpad from that point on. I made the same mistake. And what do you mean by input command?

Hi,

Thanks a lot, it's now working.

With input command I meant sending the Volume Down button event via console - wich wouldn't have had any effect of course :huh:

Many thanks,

Klaus

Guest afiorillo
Hello everybody.

I've got a problem I am on the fastboot screen with my GoldCard inserted in my HTC Desire with the rootedupdate.zip in root of the SD card.

When I type:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

the computer return my the following message:

No such file or directory

What must I do or what I do wrong? Thanks for the help

Have you issued the previous command?

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

Guest freeborn
Please let me know how long that normally use in step2 ?

I was stopping more than an hour at

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

DON'T USE VM OR VIRTUALBOX burn CD and use live linux on the CDROM will slove this

Guest afiorillo
Someone kn ow how to install radio update? Is it the same procedure as app2sd? if yes i must install it by using the goldcard?

thx

Yes, the procedure is the same as for A2SD (you only need to choose the proper zip file to flash); and no, that does not require a goldcard. But, for convenience, storing all rooting and updating files on the same (gold) card may be a good idea.

Guest Ceased2be
Someone kn ow how to install radio update? Is it the same procedure as app2sd? if yes i must install it by using the goldcard?

thx

Radio update is the same produres.

Just flashed the radio and checked the version but it's the same as before.

Yet my GPS problems are solved so it fixed something I guess :huh:

Guest hisham
I can easily root my Desire :huh: but after installing Arabic font the Internet browser will be force closed :P

you need to wipe and reeinstall the root update and wait till there is a better solution for Arabic fonts. went through the same thing here.

Guest theboxman

I've concluded that the reason recieving bluetooth Object Pushes isn't working on this laptop is that windows sucks as usual.

Hence to backup my apps I'm going to need to update my ubuntu install :-D Since I rarely use this laptop it's got rather out of date!

Anyone who has working Obex Object Push to backup your applications do the following:

1. Goto the market place and search for and install: Bluetooth File Transfer by Medieval Software. It's free!

2. Start up bluetooth on the recieving device {the one you want to backup the files to}

3. Load up 'Bluetooth File Transfer'

4. Choose yes if asked about enabling bluetooth and becoming discoverable.

5. Press menu.

6. Choose the option to send applications

7. Press Menu again.

8. Choose select all

9. Click to send

10. Select your device from the list.

.....and it should then do the rest!

Guest sparklehedgehog

NOOBs or anybody struggling with this way of doing it listen up!!!!

I spent 24 hours trying these linux/mac/nightmare methods and had given up till i read this method http://www.machackpc.com/headline/how-to-r...android-os-2-1/

Worked first time and in less than 15 minutes i was done. So simple and you can do it all via windows with NO Virtual machine, no recovery menus or terminal instructions etc....

MAIN THING TO REMEMBER:

Instead of Step 10,

extract pushfiles.zip onto your Windows computer. Extract the files from my initial post into the same folder.

Connect the phone, wait a little so Windows gets some time to find it.

Run recovery-windows.bat.

Continue from Step 13.

The recovery-windows.bat is downloadable from here http://www.laddaupp.nu/android/pushfiles-win-addon.zip

extract it to your pushfiles directory.

Get over there now and check it out for yourself!

P.s. i have no affiliation whatsoever with that website was just desperate for a simple solution and found it there.

Guest afiorillo
NOOBs or anybody struggling with this way of doing it listen up!!!!

I spent 24 hours trying these linux/mac/nightmare methods and had given up till i read this method http://www.machackpc.com/headline/how-to-r...android-os-2-1/

[...]

That is exactly the same procedure reported here many times, first of all by Paul days ago, with the nilezon update. :P

This is the demonstration that sometimes people stuck themselves on a path making the same error over and over: just changing the colours of the page containing the instructions will release the "lock" and allow the goal to be reached. :huh:

Guest Xeronage
DON'T USE VM OR VIRTUALBOX burn CD and use live linux on the CDROM will slove this

Bull. Virtual machines with USB support work fine.

Guest afiorillo
Bull. Virtual machines with USB support work fine.

Works fine on your computer. :huh: Many people have reported issues doing so, hooking USB ports to a virtual machine is a task very machine-dependant and SO-dependant, so it cannot be considered to be 100% certified working for all.

Guest charlie_boy

Paul,

I'm in the poop ¦¬[ . I do hope you can help me. I recently had my desire replaced so I've got a very new one. I rooted it yesterday.... (thanks for your work on that!!!)

I now have a fault with it and I need to get on to Tmobile about a replacement.

I am sure you posted that you had a tmobile stock rom which you would release as an update in due course.

I hate to ask but is there any chance at all of getting that available soon. I need to return this device before the DOA period runs out.

Thanks again for you work and thanks for even reading this post (assuming you do!)

Guest dreamdealer
Just ran the gscript check.sh having installed the A2SD DALVIK-CACHE version.

I get:

Also people are saying they have 110-126MB free space on the phone yet I only had 84MB after rooting :-/

it is working i got like tones of apps installed and still showing 100 mb one is the google earth apk , installed at 27 mb and some 20 mb racing game called r.thunder light and copilot at 18 mb that alone is 65 mb internal phone memory without apps to sd. just got to remember when you do install apps to sd you can only have an ext2 or ext3 partition ext4 doesn't currently work.

Guest snear

[*]You're done. Just perform the initial configuration wizard and you're ready to go.

thanks!!! ive done it at last:) thanks to paul aswell :huh:

Guest sparklehedgehog
That is exactly the same procedure reported here many times, first of all by Paul days ago, with the nilezon update. :P

This is the demonstration that sometimes people stuck themselves on a path making the same error over and over: just changing the colours of the page containing the instructions will release the "lock" and allow the goal to be reached. :huh:

maybe but it works for thick people like me so was worth posting even if it only helps one other!

Guest omesanni

Hi Paul I am new to the htc world. I have an htc desire on orange network and i want to root my phone really bad but i am do not know linux at all and am afraid i wuld brick my phone . I have been lookin at the posts and I am seein people wit different big problems. The ones that stuck out to me was the people wit htc desire on the orange network, they seem got get simlock after they've rooted their phone or installed apps2SD.I know u wuld say its normally locked but what they mean is dat when dey put their orange sim after rooting, dey get a message sayin the phone is locked when b4 it works on orange sim perfectly.

I wuld like if u culd pls make a video of the rooting process of htc desire becos den things will be a lot easier. I have also noticed many people have problems wit different live distros or VMware. Most of them saying dat the OS failed to recognize their usb and things like dat. I am really confused becos say for example one person might say ubuntu 64bit doesn't work den another comes and say it works and another will be suggesting using the 32bit version. Or in another case someone might say virtualbox is good den another says it doesnt work. I have a 64bit windows does dat mean I wuld have to use a 64bit version of any VMware or live cd or wuld a 32bit version of any of them work fine.

Since u r the master of the rooting I will like u 2 please put up a video on say youtube and just state which linux software u used or pls can u just tell me which one wuld work for me.I really did your advice. I just really need a video so i can see first hand all the tools u r using as i am afraid 2 brick my phone. I dont even mind sendin my phone 2 u so u can help me root it if u dont mind. Pls can u PM me when u reply 2 my message.

Thanks in advance.