14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest blackfox888

I rooting my htc desire with great success thanks to your 1st guide. But now I would like to flash it back to old Radio, I feel like the new radio is giving me a slowing HSDPA speed when check on speedtest.net app. before I was getting roughly 1.4/1.6MB but now under 1MB.

Can I just flash it back using testruu without doing rootedupdate again or do I have to do the whole of the rooting process again?

Guest Ceased2be
What GPS problems did you have? :huh:

Couldn't get a gps fix even in clear sky. GPS Status would report six or seven sattelites but wouldn't fix.

Installed the new radio after I rooted and got a fix within 30 seconds while indoors.

Guest afiorillo
[...] i am do not know linux at all [...]

I've heard that Paul will be out for some days, so here's some answers I can give you in the meantime.

You don't need Linux anymore, Windows will be sufficient. At the date, there's no complete rooting guide without Linux, but you can derive it by mixing the original Paul' tutorial (on the first page) and the one posted some posts ago for A2SD under Windows.

[...] The ones that stuck out to me was the people wit htc desire on the orange network, they seem got get simlock after they've rooted their phone or installed apps2SD.

This isn't true: that (fixable) problem occurs when flashing the radio update, not the rooting things. Just keep your current radio and you'll be fine.

Please, double check your bootloader version (first post explains how to do that), that is very important.

[...] I have also noticed many people have problems wit different live distros or VMware. Most of them saying dat the OS failed to recognize their usb and things like dat. I am really confused becos say for example one person might say ubuntu 64bit doesn't work den another comes and say it works and another will be suggesting using the 32bit version. Or in another case someone might say virtualbox is good den another says it doesnt work. [...]

The safe way is to not use virtual machines to carry out such a task, and this is a general rule. However, in many circumstances, it works. It's your choice, I prefer the safe way. :huh:

I have a 64bit windows does dat mean I wuld have to use a 64bit version of any VMware or live cd or wuld a 32bit version of any of them work fine.

Here wait for someone that is familiar with 64bit OSs, I'm not. :P

Edited by afiorillo

Guest Odiebla

Ok, now I'm stuck. At first I had a working Desire running the rooted image, the radio update plus the initial app2sd patch. I spotted the new version with the dalvik-cache on sd and I started the process once again: in recovery mode, pushing the pushfiles from my mac, applying the rootupdate from SD, going through the new app2sd patch. Then I ended up with a cycling Desire (with the ext3 formatted SD in there, not the goldcard). So I suspected something went/was wrong with the new app2sd package and I decided to take it one step back. I installed the rootupdate again from the goldcard (after going into recovery...).

Now something is wrong: the phone boots normal, but doesn't recognize the SD card (any SD card, it mentions "SD card removed. Insert a new one" in the status bar immediately after booting) and it also doesn't connect over usb to the adb, (adb devices shows nothing).

I verified both SD cards (the goldcard plus the ext3 card) and both are readable on my laptop.

So I decided to hookup the Desire to my windows machine and use the testruu.exe again as I used in my initial root attempt. Starting the phone with power+back it shows 'fastboot' and after connecting it to my windows laptop it shows 'fastboot usb' in red. testruu starts and after the initial warnings it verifies the information on the phone. After that it says:

Image version: version-main FAILED (staus read failed (too many links))

When I try to update it to version 1.15.405.3 it says : " rebooting the bootloader " and "waiting for bootloader". Then noting happens, the Desire stays on the initial fastboot screen and testruu keeps waiting.

So basically the Desire is booting, but unusable due to no working usb and SD. And flashing the bootloader nor the rootupdate works.

Any suggestions?

Guest afiorillo
[...]

So basically the Desire is booting, but unusable due to no working usb and SD. And flashing the bootloader nor the rootupdate works.

Any suggestions?

Some dudes was able to fix both issues, just lurk back some pages in this very thread. :huh: Basically, you'll have to issue some adb commands from your computer.

Guest kingoffail
Some dudes was able to fix both issues, just lurk back some pages in this very thread. :huh: Basically, you'll have to issue some adb commands from your computer.

Where?

The SD issue can be fixed with a fastboot command, the USB issue can't be. He's probably screwed.

Guest Seb M
Where?

The SD issue can be fixed with a fastboot command, the USB issue can't be. He's probably screwed.

Yes, he's probably screwed.

HOWEVER, there are at least 3 people in irc with the same problem, and we're trying to think of ways to fix it...

p.s. you can fix the sd card by going into fastboot, then issuing

./fastboot oem enablepqmdm (or something like that - do ./fastboot oem ? to find the exact command)

Seb

Guest Biliskner
Ok, now I'm stuck. At first I had a working Desire running the rooted image, the radio update plus the initial app2sd patch. I spotted the new version with the dalvik-cache on sd and I started the process once again: in recovery mode, pushing the pushfiles from my mac, applying the rootupdate from SD, going through the new app2sd patch. Then I ended up with a cycling Desire (with the ext3 formatted SD in there, not the goldcard). So I suspected something went/was wrong with the new app2sd package and I decided to take it one step back. I installed the rootupdate again from the goldcard (after going into recovery...).

Now something is wrong: the phone boots normal, but doesn't recognize the SD card (any SD card, it mentions "SD card removed. Insert a new one" in the status bar immediately after booting) and it also doesn't connect over usb to the adb, (adb devices shows nothing).

I verified both SD cards (the goldcard plus the ext3 card) and both are readable on my laptop.

So I decided to hookup the Desire to my windows machine and use the testruu.exe again as I used in my initial root attempt. Starting the phone with power+back it shows 'fastboot' and after connecting it to my windows laptop it shows 'fastboot usb' in red. testruu starts and after the initial warnings it verifies the information on the phone. After that it says:

Image version: version-main FAILED (staus read failed (too many links))

When I try to update it to version 1.15.405.3 it says : " rebooting the bootloader " and "waiting for bootloader". Then noting happens, the Desire stays on the initial fastboot screen and testruu keeps waiting.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problems 24 hours ago.

Come here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...248#post6347248

Guest phrawzty
I have a 64bit windows does dat mean I wuld have to use a 64bit version of any VMware or live cd or wuld a 32bit version of any of them work fine.

Generally speaking, on a 64-bit Windows machine you can use either 64-bit or 32-bit versions of whatever software.

Guest Biliskner

kingoffail fixed the sd/sim detect issue.

boot your desire in fastboot mode as per Paul's instructions, then issue commands:

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

fastboot reboot

Guest Odiebla
Yes, he's probably screwed.

HOWEVER, there are at least 3 people in irc with the same problem, and we're trying to think of ways to fix it...

p.s. you can fix the sd card by going into fastboot, then issuing

./fastboot oem enablepqmdm (or something like that - do ./fastboot oem ? to find the exact command)

Seb

Any fingerpoints to the posting this has been discussed? I have read back but can't find it.

How do I issue the fastboot command? And what did I do wrong in order to brake these things?

Guest kingoffail
Any fingerpoints to the posting this has been discussed? I have read back but can't find it.

How do I issue the fastboot command? And what did I do wrong in order to brake these things?

See the post above yours. I don't think you did anything "wrong" as such, but there appears to be a huge honking bug in the partitioning / ap2sd process.

Guest b.lindahl

I ran in to trouble when running step2.sh

Phone is in recovery mode

First command

sudo ./adb push files /

works alright

But when I run

sudo ./adb shell busybox --install /sbin

I get the following error:

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13) -

Any idea what the reason could be?

I should mention that I've ran commands from step1.sh line by line, manually from shell in ubuntu 10.04 since my netbook refused to boot from usb-memory (and no cdrom in computer) that is linked from the first post in this thread.

Also, is there ok to shutdown the phone and unplug it now or will that brick the phone?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Odiebla
See the post above yours. I don't think you did anything "wrong" as such, but there appears to be a huge honking bug in the partitioning / ap2sd process.

Yep, I'm now reading up into the xda forum. I seem not to have fastboot as part of the Mac SDK in the tools directory (in fact, find doesn't find it anywhere on my fs).

Re irc: what server, channel?

Guest kingoffail
Yep, I'm now reading up into the xda forum. I seem not to have fastboot as part of the Mac SDK in the tools directory (in fact, find doesn't find it anywhere on my fs).

Re irc: what server, channel?

chat.eu.freenode.net

#modaco

Guest Si Pie

I've flashed the phone fine with the rootupdate. I know this works because my phone is no longer branded. Accoprding to the flash option apps2sd worked as well and I have changed the gold card for my other one and partitioned as per the instructions.

However, when I install apps they're taking up phone storage and not any of the sd storage.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong? I've tried this several times and I'm certain I've followed the instructions to the letter. I'm using the windows option by the way.

Edited by Si Pie

Guest Elemetrix

Been wanting to see this since 10pm last night!

1272682026.jpg

Thank you for getting me through that last step afiorillo!

One note though, following your guide I stumbled at running the recovery.bat because you didn't say it needed to be in the pushfiles directory :-) (I read nilezons post and realised)

Guest Si Pie
I've flashed the phone fine with the rootupdate. I know this works because my phone is no longer branded. Accoprding to the flash option apps2sd worked as well and I have changed the gold card for my other one and partitioned as per the instructions.

However, when I install apps they're taking up phone storage and not any of the sd storage.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong? I've tried this several times and I'm certain I've followed the instructions to the letter. I'm using the windows option by the way.

I'm being a muppet. Internal storage will still go down a bit won't it, even if the dlavik-cache is moved to the card as well?