14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Too51oll

It's child simple: I've downgraded using RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U _4.05.00.11_release_121865 (google for it) without sd in my baby coz of boot loop. Then switched off, poped my card in, booted, SORTED. Everything works as before root and bloody a2sd.

Guest zanshin
Hmmmm.

Issues with Apps2SD......now that I don't like to hear.

Has this been associated with just one method of rooting or with both?

Are all users affected? it seems it's only a subset? What do they all have in common?

@those affected:

What opperator did you get your handset from?

T-mobile netherlands

Which locale are you in?

dutch

Which set of instructions to root the phone did you follow?

The one here in this thread

*Didn´t do a radio update

*sgtdavepwnage on irc modaco mentioned partitioning could be a problem. Using partition with the recovery menu and do ext2 to ext3 maybe.

*get root went/functioned fine so that wasn´t the problem

Am I right in thinking I can do the initial part of the rooting and simply miss out the radio update and A2SD for now? and if the culprit in the USB not working issue turns out to be related to the flashing method used simply repeat the flashing from the begining as a fix?

Guest kboya
If running Windows, locate in Windows Explorer the folder where you extracted pushfiles_windows.zip earlier and double-click recovery-windows.bat (or "recovery-windows" alone if you have turned off the file extensions display).

[*]You'll see a bunch of log lines scroll on the terminal (or command prompt) window stating that some files are being "pushed" to the device. It'll take 7/8 seconds or so to finish.

[*]Looking back at the Desire, you'll see that the red triangle screen is gone and a greenish recovery console appeared.

Oh hell, I have done everything, 4 times (5hours), even recreated goldcard, and checked every step, but no way do I get away from the red triangle and onto "A GREENISH RECOVERY CONSOLE" (soz!)

WTF have I done wrong??? Using windows instructions on XPpro (1.6ghz dual centrino, 2Gb RAM) a 4Gb Sandisk class4 microsdcard/goldcard, and... NOTHING but a red triangle... read all the posts I can see, checked other sites....

Anyone able to help??

Guest kamidadevil

Hi guys, I have rooted my phone and have installed a2sd along with the dalvic update, but since iv done all this im getting com.HTC message uploader / not responding (or something like that) error which gives me two options "force close" and "wait". I usually get this when im using the default browser with wifi on. is somebody else facing this issue??

one more thing which happened to me last night, I was using nokia 5800 headphones with desire for listening music and suddenly when from now playing screen i went to the albums tab my phone restarted, i tried it 3 times and everytime i went to the albums tab the phone reboted, I changed my headphones and it didnt happen, any ideas why is this happening,

any help would be appreciated.

Edited by kamidadevil

Guest spvdk

Don't know if my A2SD issue is a bit backwards? If I run my Desire on the 16gig card with a partition for A2SD, everything is fine. Dalvik patch added. But if I replace the card with my goldcard or even try to boot without a card, I am stuck in the boot loop.

I can live with it for now, as it is working fine with my primary card, but wasn't the boot loop supposed to be fixed when booting without a card?

Guest warrie
Don't know if my A2SD issue is a bit backwards? If I run my Desire on the 16gig card with a partition for A2SD, everything is fine. Dalvik patch added. But if I replace the card with my goldcard or even try to boot without a card, I am stuck in the boot loop.

I can live with it for now, as it is working fine with my primary card, but wasn't the boot loop supposed to be fixed when booting without a card?

with ap2sd you moved your apps to your regular 16gig card. For sure you cant boot with no card, because there is no ext2 partition with your installed apps. absolutely normal

Guest afiorillo
Oh hell, I have done everything, 4 times (5hours), even recreated goldcard, and checked every step, but no way do I get away from the red triangle and onto "A GREENISH RECOVERY CONSOLE" (soz!)

WTF have I done wrong??? Using windows instructions on XPpro (1.6ghz dual centrino, 2Gb RAM) a 4Gb Sandisk class4 microsdcard/goldcard, and... NOTHING but a red triangle... read all the posts I can see, checked other sites....

Anyone able to help??

What happens as you run the 'recovery-windows.bat' batch file? Please, try to reach the folder you're in using the command prompt (type the letter drive followed by ':' and enter, then 'cd' to the proper directory) and type the batch file name (+ enter) so you can spot any error message that eventually is displayed.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest theboxman
Rooting now ...... again :huh:

Let us know how you get on. If you're successful in recovering from the error and installing a2sd thereafter without problems you'll likely have a statue built to you.....albeit slightly smaller than the one built to paul for rooting the device in the first place.

Guest Too51oll
Let us know how you get on. If you're successful in recovering from the error and installing a2sd thereafter without problems you'll likely have a statue built to you.....albeit slightly smaller than the one built to paul for rooting the device in the first place.

lol, so rooted again, updated radio, everything works!! However I'm not gonna install a2sd, not tonight, got to get up in 4.5h :huh:

Guest Drefsab

Well i've managed to root my desire and get the radio updated, it was quite painless really thanks for the hard work on this paul. The radio on the desire sucks so im hoping the new update makes it a little better plus looking forward to a working wifi tether app at some point :huh:

Guest Yothanan

You amazed me bad I had to register as a basic account but will upgrade to top one on monday if not tomorrow.

You amaze me even more looking you have made over 25k posts... dude you rock and thank you.

// your latest fan code goes here

Guest theboxman
Well i've managed to root my desire and get the radio updated, it was quite painless really thanks for the hard work on this paul. The radio on the desire sucks so im hoping the new update makes it a little better plus looking forward to a working wifi tether app at some point :huh:

As an Orange UK customer I'll be thinking carefully about whether to update the radio. You can get round the simlock issues by reflashing of course....

I think I'll wait to see what the reports of the new radio rom are like. Effects on battery usage, coverage for different signal types etc. Until then no point causing myself undue hastle IMHO ;-)

I'm presently seraching for an old MicroSD card to goldcard - I'd rather not use my 4GB one that came with the device for obvious reasons. I've an 8GB one in the post {it will be a hard choice deciding whether the DS or the Desire gets the larger memory stick).....Might need to pickup a memory stick from ASDA or something....of course they're always overpriced in stores :-/ Ah well.

It basically needs to be over about 500mb in size right?

Guest maximini1

Haha, finally I got it. My story:

**I part. my SD card 16G into EXT3- 1.4G and Fat32 for the rest, then create a gold card.

1- I install a VM for linux on my computer OS- WIN XP

2- I use the old method r1 to root but in vain

3- I use the method of r3 but stuck at step 2 OMG

4- I don't know what to do

5- I burn an iso DVD and reboot my computer

6- I can't boot up from the DVD then go back to try method r3 on WIM XP

7- I don't know why everything goes straight forward ( I do it again with Paul's instruction ) and lead my desire rooted

8- flash everythind APP2SD..touch input chinese..etc

9- check busybox...app2sd working probably

Nothing goes wrong and FC by the moment and will try to flash the update radio soon.

Thanks Paul for your great work and all the members share.

Guest nerdo

@Paul thanks for the root & ur endless efforts for the community mate :P

Root successful using nilezon Windows only method.... first attempt... well done :blink:

Special thanks to afiorillo for his patience and support to all nOObs, keep it up mate :huh:

Guest Zilch
...the image is excellent, all my annoying Telstra addons are removed and the functions are all perfect

Hi pappagussepi,

Glad to hear this, but a couple of questions for us other Telstra Desire owners...

1) Did you root from the original (store-bought) ROM, or did you first apply the 'GPS Fixed' ROM that came out last night (like most of us did). This is 1.16.841.1 I think. I believe that the gold-card won't let you go backwards, so I'm thinking it won't work with the image Paul has supplied.

2) Does the GPS fully work now? I think we know how to fix it, but the gps.conf file is in /system (which I understand we still don't have access to)

3) Does the 'rooted' ROM include Voice Search?

4) Do you know if it's possible to restore the Telstra branded ROM after this process if we need to for troubleshooting/warranty purposes?

Sooo looking forward to getting rid of the Telstra addons AND having a working GPS.

Thanks,

Zilch.

Guest aassra

Yes ARABIC fonts Doesn't Work :huh:

there is Arabic fonts and for browser for N1

I don't know if it works or not

http://rapidshare.com/files/336395013/system-signed.zip

http://depositfiles.com/files/emsttl50o

http://www.easy-share.com/1909030953/system-signed.zip

and this is for Acer Liquid

http://www.4shared.com/file/MpTRlqm_/___online.html

CAN ANY BODY HELP US AND MAKE IT WORKS FOR THE DESIRE :P

Guest kboya
What happens as you run the 'recovery-windows.bat' batch file? Please, try to reach the folder you're in using the command prompt (type the letter drive followed by ':' and enter, then 'cd' to the proper directory) and type the batch file name (+ enter) so you can spot any error message that eventually is displayed.

Ok, thanks. Was double clicking on the.bat as instructed. I'll try as you suggest later and give results. Thanks, I know this will be worth the pain!

K

Guest mikeo
Yep, many has noticed that: once updated the process with the ISO things, the A2SD part was left behind. Just follow my instructions provided below and you'll be fine. :P

BE ADVISED: you're about to act under your sole responsibility. :blink: Read carefully these instructions and follow it step by step: don't make assumptions, don't experiment.

**EDITED AND FIXED**

Print out this post for your convenience.

You'll need two MicroSD cards: one is the goldcard, the other is the one you'll use with A2SD. WARNING: This implies wiping the Desire and the second MicroSD card, so backup your stuff before starting up.

1. Have your goldcard ready. This is very important, you cannot use a MicroSD of your choice for these flashing steps: you'll have to use the one turned into a goldcard, or everything will miserably fail.
  2. Now you have two options: if you are already familiar with Linux, download and burn on a CD any Linux LiveCD or use the already installed one if applicable. I suggest NOT TO USE VIRTUAL MACHINES here, you'll have a much easier life. Virtualizing things is cool, but we're doing some serious stuff here. So act plain and straightforward. If you choose Linux, download and extract this file in a folder of your choice, to be used later. However, if you prefer using Windows, download and extract this other file (thanks to nilezon, here).
  3. If appropriate, boot your computer from the downloaded LiveCD.
  4. Turn off the Desire and insert the goldcard into the MicroSD slot.
  5. Turn on the Desire the normal way; once booted up, connect it to your computer (DO NOT USE USB HUBS, NOR USB FRONT PORTS ON DESKTOPS, NO RETRACTABLE-AUTOREWIND-CRAPCABLES and so on) and choose "Disk unit" (or whatever English locale will show for "USB host").
  6. Download this file (it's the A2SD enhanced version, the one that moves dalvik-cache too, freeing an extra 20 MB or so -- thanks to PaulW21781, here) and copy it on the goldcard that in the meantime appears as a new icon on the Linux desktop or as a autorun prompt in Windows. You have to copy the file on the root folder of the goldcard, leaving it untouched (DO NOT uncompress it, DO NOT rename it, leave it alone).
  7. Unmount the goldcard from Linux/Windows using the proper command.
  8. Unplug the Desire from the computer and turn it off.
  9. Leaving the goldcard in, turn it on again pressing the power button and volume down button.
  10. After a few seconds, you enter the bootloader: wait a couple of seconds again and, using the volume down button, hilight the green RECOVERY item; press the power button to select it.
  11. The Desire will reboot and show the red triangle screen (no way to escape it without pulling the battery).
  12. Plug again the Desire to the computer: nothing happens.
  13. If running Linux, open a terminal window, move to the folder where you extracted the pushfiles.zip earlier and copy/paste in it the following commands as a block, issuing an extra <enter> at the end:
    ./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./adb-linux start-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

If running Windows, locate in Windows Explorer the folder where you extracted pushfiles_windows.zip earlier and double-click recovery-windows.bat (or "recovery-windows" alone if you have turned off the file extensions display).

14. You'll see a bunch of log lines scroll on the terminal (or command prompt) window stating that some files are being "pushed" to the device. It'll take 7/8 seconds or so to finish.
  15. Looking back at the Desire, you'll see that the red triangle screen is gone and a greenish recovery console appeared.
  16. Using the optical trackpad (press it to confirm choices) perform a "Wipe" -> "Wipe data/factory reset" (followed by a "Wipe cache" and a "Wipe Dalvik-cache" to be sure). Press Volume Down to go back to the main menu.
  17. Select now "Flash zip from sdcard" and select "r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-fresh-signed.zip"; confirm and wait.
  18. Once flashing is over, select the "Power off" command.
  19. Unplug the Desire from the USB port and open it pulling the battery.
  20. Swap the goldcard with the main one. Place the goldcard in a safe place. The new one is not required to be already formatted/partitioned: you're going to do that in a few minutes. Just remember that you're about to wipe it off, so backup its contents (if applicable).
  21. Reinsert the battery, apply the back cover.
  22. Turn on the Desire pressing the Volume Down key again: you have to re-enter the greenish Recovery Console.
  23. So, repeat the steps from 10 to 15.
  24. Using the optical trackpad, now select "Partition sdcard" -> "Partition SD" and issue a SWAP=0, EXT2=512, FAT32=<remaining> partition command (read carefully the instructions provided on-screen by the procedure, you'll have to use the volume keys too, here).
  25. Find and issue the "SD:ext2 to ext3" command.
  26. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select "Reboot system now". While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.
  27. You're done. Just perform the initial configuration wizard and you're ready to go.
  28. From now on, the apps will be installed into the (normally invisible, since you don't use adb) ext3 partition, the dalvik-cache will be redirected to the memory card too and you can install hundreds of apps without running out of storage space (the only limit is the 512 MB chosen @step 24: increase or decrease it according to your needs. Just keep in mind that an unrooted Desire gives you 130 MB of space).
Please note that flashing a ROM will wipe A2SD too. This implies two things:
  1. If something goes wrong while installing A2SD with the above procedure (or with any other procedure, such an endless reboot at the "quietly brilliant" screen), you can still re-flash rootedupdate.zip to roll back and start over (in the toughest cases, try this workaround). Just re-enter the Recovery Console using steps 9 to 15 above after having copied rootedupdate.zip on the goldcard.
  2. If you'll flash another ROM that does not contain A2SD, you'll loose it and you'll need to repeat the steps above.
Hope this helps. :huh:

Just want to thank you for the great tut. :o

I fixed it yesterday on advice of someone in an other forum tot rum Step2 again and dan choose for de A2SD file. That works fine but you tut i will give a test run. Just te get more experience with linux.

and als ik working fine now.

Guest ZiCoN

I have asked this question once before in another topic, but no answer...

I know the 'guide' states I need Goldcard to root my Desire, but I thought this only applied to Orange, T-mo etc etc... Is this still necessary when I have a generic HTC.. Not branded or in any way locked?

Guest Zilch
I have asked this question once before in another topic, but no answer...

I know the 'guide' states I need Goldcard to root my Desire, but I thought this only applied to Orange, T-mo etc etc... Is this still necessary when I have a generic HTC.. Not branded or in any way locked?

Dude - you need to make a gold card... whatever your handset is.

Guest ZiCoN
Dude - you need to make a gold card... whatever your handset is.

Alright :huh: Just wasn't needed on the Hero.. But thanks :P