14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hts
Dude - you need to make a gold card... whatever your handset is.

can the goldcard be the same as the card I`ll be using on my phone afterward or do I need a separate one?

Guest omesanni

please can someone post the windows method of rooting the htc desire. Am so jealous of u guyz rootin your phone while i can t get over my fears of bricking my phone. Thanks

Guest EernstJ

I have rooted my Desire.

I was hoping that Flac (Lossless audio codec) was working but sadly it is not.

I was hoping Bacup for root users was working. It does something but far to quick... Something is wrong there...

Guest theboxman
can the goldcard be the same as the card I`ll be using on my phone afterward or do I need a separate one?

I *think* you should be able to un-goldcard the card by deleting it's partition table completely and recreating a new one. You would lose any files on it....

fdisk is your friend.

Guest Xeronage
I *think* you should be able to un-goldcard the card by deleting it's partition table completely and recreating a new one. You would lose any files on it....

fdisk is your friend.

*Resetting the first 400 bytes of your MBR, which don't mean a thing on SD cards, and can safely ignore, while resetting your partition table will make you lose everything you have.

Just leave it a goldcard. It doesn't mean a thing to your computer/laptop and does not make it either a 'godly uber card' or 'evil haxored card'.

Edited by Xeronage

Guest Zilch

Bahh. HELP!

Ok, way too many sets of instructions floating about for my little brain, so I'm going with the ones at the top of this thread. (Decided to ignore A2SD for now as it seems to be complicating things a great deal)

I can boot from the ISO ok (real PC, not a VM), mount CD drive etc ok. But, the first time I run step1.sh, the zip file gets sent to the device ok, but then I get:

INFOsignature checking...

FAILED (status read failed (Protocol error))

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status malformed (0 bytes))

Rebooting to bootloader...

...and then my device hangs until I take the battery out.

HOWEVER, when I run step1.sh a second time, it works much better:

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

step2.sh fails with 'error:device not found'

I am running an Australian Telstra Branded Desire running the recent "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe" ROM. I shouldn't need to flash any generic ROM first should I, as the rooting process should do that for me. The bootloader is 0.75, but I should be able to go backwards from 1.16.851.1 to whatever the script is trying to install, yeah?

I'm fairly sure my Gold Card is ok, as I have used it before to install a ROM from the web. (Some files added and deleted to it, but don't think that should have un-golded it?)

Help appreciated. Any suggestions? Hints?

Guest theboxman
*Resetting the first 400 bytes of your MBR, which don't mean a thing on SD cards, and can safely ignore, while resetting your partition table will make you lose everything you have.

Just leave it a goldcard. It doesn't mean a thing to your computer/laptop and does not make it either a 'godly uber card' or 'evil haxored card'.

That said deleting the partition table would revert it, no? ;-)

Also I suggest that he may only have one microSD card and wish to do the whole modification from it.

In which case he'll want to repartition the card to include an ext2/ext3 partition? Or could the card remain a goldcard and be repartitioned?

Just sort of assumed that a 'funked up' master boot record might not actually be a great idea for repartitioning.

Guest lomdar
If running Windows, locate in Windows Explorer the folder where you extracted pushfiles_windows.zip earlier and double-click recovery-windows.bat (or "recovery-windows" alone if you have turned off the file extensions display).

Every time I run recovery-windows.bat I get a "device not found" error. Any ideas?

Guest dreamdealer
When I run the step1.sh I get the <waiting for device> and nothing happends. I'm using VMWare Workstation

been said before i say it again because lets be fair we not all got all day to read though the thread, avoid virtual machines, they seem to have a problem, with recognising your android device, some people say they work some don't, from my experience and easy est all round, is to get a live cd, shut-down your computer, change your bios to boot off cd first from start-up load from the cd, no changes will happen to your computer.

This is my preferred method and it, but each to there own, I have the proof that this works in front of me, but only since i stopped using a virtual machine.

Edited by dreamdealer

Guest murdoch1

I have downloaded the ISO and burn to a CD as per Pauls 1st page, however when I attempt to boot the cd rom, It displays the summary, ie about setting up ADB etc, then my screen goes black. How long does/should it take to load the Tiny linux???? Cheers

Guest alegator23

Hi guys

First of all thanks for the great work i have couple questions as not so familiar with rooting.

1. i have accomplished the rooting process, how i can verify that it's done and i have the (write) access to the folders.

2. in additional how i can flush the arabic/hebrew (r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip) fonts after the root is accomplished ?

3. What is radio (update-bravo-radio-32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2-signed) standing for ?

4. I have 2 SD cards, 1 was the original one, 2nd is the goldcard. The questions if i need the gold card for the future (or i can format it) and remove it from the device , and return back the original SD card for the regular device work.

Thanks for the help.

Guest Yanzi Zhu

Hey dude , thanks for all the jobs

I translated your guide into Chinese, do you mind or not?

See as following address:

http://www.yanzizhu.org/2010/05/zh-root-of-htc-desire/

If any thing wrong, please tell me. :huh:

Fyi, I do not really understand the last part you said

Apply this updates after rooting by copying to sdcard any applying from the recovery image (entered using the recovery-xxx.sh method).

A2SD – TEMPORARILY OFFLINE

32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update) – DOWNLOAD / MIRROR

Chinese Input (HTC_CIME) – DOWNLOAD DO NOT USE ON ORANGE

Arabic Fonts (testing) – DOWNLOAD / MIRROR

Hebrew Fonts (testing) – DOWNLOAD / MIRROR

How to use the recovery-xxx.sh method?

I hope more and more people support you!

Again, thank you for all the works! I hope there will be a easier way to root Desire!

Guest kevinblo

hi follow your guide,

# You'll see a bunch of log lines scroll on the terminal window stating that some files are being "pushed" to the device. It'll take 7/8 seconds or so to finish.

# Looking back at the Desire, you'll see that the red triangle screen is gone and a greenish recovery console appeared.

# Using the optical trackpad (press it to confirm choices) perform a Wipe/Factory Reset and a Wipe Dalvik-Cache to be sure.

# Again, using the trackpad select Apply Update (not sure now about the exact words, I'm going by memory) and select "r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-fresh-signed.zip"; confirm and wait.

I got this from my Desire screen:

Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

Installing update...

Copying files...

E: Can't symlink /system/xbin/[

E: Failure at line 5:

symlink busybox SYSTEM:xbin/[

Installation aborted

for your information , i installed Paul App2sd before. and I just iwipe the data in recoverty mode and re-do the same steap..

Please help anyone!

Guest sterallures

Thanks for the great hack! this is fantastic. It still works great don't have any problems and I downloaded the A2SD and I don't have any problems at all, not with my USB either. I can sync with my desktop and use it as a disk drive. and the amount of apps I can install now are fantastic!

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Guest Deerhunter48

Hi, I tried the root via TinyCoreLinux but get only the following error in Step1:

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode ...

erasing 'cache' ... OKAY

... OKAY

error: cannot load 'testimage.zip'

error: cannot load 'testimage.zip'

Rebooting to bootloader ...

rebooting into bootloader ... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enterrecovery mode.

Any idea?

Guest Zilch
Hi, I tried the root via TinyCoreLinux but get only the following error in Step1:

Any idea?

Try re-burning the ISO maybe?

Guest zanshin
It's child simple: I've downgraded using RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U _4.05.00.11_release_121865 (google for it) without sd in my baby coz of boot loop. Then switched off, poped my card in, booted, SORTED. Everything works as before root and bloody a2sd.

I've downgrades but still have the same problem. The downgrade proces went without any problems. The phones says it has a new system update from the internet. Downloaded it but is it wise to install this update? Anyone?

Edited by zanshin

Guest alexdroid

Hi everyone,

I have turned my microSD into a goldcard and I'm now trying to root my HTC Desire, following your instructions. I meet a problem after the step "sudo ./step1.sh", I have the following message :

"Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting un RUU mode...

< waiting for device >"

post-696517-1272730515_thumb.gif

Then.... nothing... I wait and nothing happens... Is this normal ?

What shoud I do then ? When you say "When this step has completed... go to RECOVERY", do you mean "while < waiting for device >" or something happens next so I can continue ?

(Besides that, my phone is well recognised in my Virtual Box as a USB device.)

So my question is :

- do I have to wait until something happens while "< waiting for device >" and then type "sudo ./step2.sh" when possible ? How long does it take to achieve step 1 ?

or

- do I have to go in Recovery during this waiting time and continue waiting ? (doing thins makes my phone reboot and show a red sign besides a phone picture but nothing else happens) ?

I hope having been clear enough :huh:

Thanks a lot for your help :P

Alexdroid.

Guest 42turkeys
Hi everyone,

I have turned my microSD into a goldcard and I'm now trying to root my HTC Desire, following your instructions. I meet a problem after the step "sudo ./step1.sh", I have the following message :

"Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting un RUU mode...

< waiting for device >"

post-696517-1272730515_thumb.gif

Then.... nothing... I wait and nothing happens... Is this normal ?

What shoud I do then ? When you say "When this step has completed... go to RECOVERY", do you mean "while < waiting for device >" or something happens next so I can continue ?

(Besides that, my phone is well recognised in my Virtual Box as a USB device.)

So my question is :

- do I have to wait until something happens while "< waiting for device >" and then type "sudo ./step2.sh" when possible ? How long does it take to achieve step 1 ?

or

- do I have to go in Recovery during this waiting time and continue waiting ? (doing thins makes my phone reboot and show a red sign besides a phone picture but nothing else happens) ?

I hope having been clear enough :huh:

Thanks a lot for your help :P

Alexdroid.

As has been said many times before in this thread, you need to burn the ISO and boot it up as in a Virtual Machine it causes problems.