14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest StuMcBill
I cant seem to find the online kitchen or download link for the r5 rom? Can anyone guide me please?

Lastly, has anyone got a changelog of all roms from r1 to r5?

There is no online kitchen for the r5 root method, the kitchen is for the MCR (MoDaCo Custom Rom) r3, which is also in the stickied section.

The download for r5 root method is in the first post of this topic.

Guest 325i
There is no online kitchen for the r5 root method, the kitchen is for the MCR (MoDaCo Custom Rom) r3, which is also in the stickied section.

The download for r5 root method is in the first post of this topic.

Thank you, any idea when the r5 kitchen will be available as i would like a2sd+ on it?

Lastly, i have just generated a custom r3 rom and it has given me a MD5 number, what exactly is this for?

Guest StuMcBill
Thank you, any idea when the r5 kitchen will be available as i would like a2sd+ on it?

Lastly, i have just generated a custom r3 rom and it has given me a MD5 number, what exactly is this for?

There wont be a r5 kitchen I don't think, as this is just the root method, and will give you a rooted stock rom. Nothing less, nothing more.

To get A2sd+, you need to use the kitchen for MCR r3, which you have done.

The MD5 number is to check the MD5 hash of your download to ensure that it has not been corrupted in anyway before attempting to flash it.

Guest 325i
There wont be a r5 kitchen I don't think, as this is just the root method, and will give you a rooted stock rom. Nothing less, nothing more.

To get A2sd+, you need to use the kitchen for MCR r3, which you have done.

The MD5 number is to check the MD5 hash of your download to ensure that it has not been corrupted in anyway before attempting to flash it.

Thank you, last question.

so the r5 root file on the first page replace the "rootedupdate.zip" file on this page, http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/05/how-to-root-your-htc-desire/

thanks

Guest StuMcBill
Thank you, last question.

so the r5 root file on the first page replace the "rootedupdate.zip" file on this page, http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/05/how-to-root-your-htc-desire/

thanks

The rootedupdate.zip file is the one that installs the stock rom, with root access.

I *think* you can replace it with the cooked one from the Kitchen, however, I never did it this way, so I take no responsibility if it doesn't work!

Guest GeoTrail

I just had some fun, experimenting with my Desire.

I rooted mine and it worked fine. But today I wanted to try other ROM's that are out there.

Here's what I did:

First I held down the volume key and started the phone by pressing the power button.

Then I entered the RECOVERY menu option.

Connected the phone to my Windows 7 x64 PC, yes, the dreaded 64 bit.

I ran recovery-windows.bat to get to the RA recovery menu.

I had my normal none-Goldcard in. Selected the USB mount option, copied in a ROM image in zip format.

Quit the USB mount, and went to the zip update menu and updated.

When I started the phone after updating, the HTC quietly brilliant screen came as usual, but then it froze. Or, it was more like it went into an endless loop. The screen flickered and the HTC quietly brilliant image came back, over and over.

I did buy my phone from my network provider, but not with any SIM subscription. So I guessed I had bricked the phone.

So after about 10 tries, with different ROM's, I thought, I might aswell try with a goldcard again. And it worked. I did it the same way I described above, but this time with a goldcard.

So to everyone who doesn't know if it will work without a goldcard, try it. It isn't going to hurt your phone. If it doesn't work with a normal sd card, then try again with a goldcard :rolleyes:

Anyways, my two cents. Food for thought. you know... :D

EDIT: I just noticed something strange. The phone won't boot unless I have the goldcard in. That's weird. When I insert the normal sdcard, the phone just goes into a loop with the HTC quietly brilliant logo. But when I put in the goldcard it starts up fine.

Edited by GeoTrail

Guest smkilani

I have seen many people using the recovery-windows.bat file. It wasnt mentioned in the instructions so what does it do? and would it help my windows 7 32bit see my desire when it is in recovery mode?

Guest TheScrub
Ok, well I think you need to do step 1 again, because your device should have a software version that says test-keys (this is for the 0.75 rooting method, I am not sure if the 0.80 one is the same)

And then try what I said about removing drivers etc.

Or maybe wait for someone who has done the 0.80 rooting process, as I am not 100% sure what the differences are?

Stu

Hmmm that's strange, i've rooted my desire and it still says release-keys.

During the rooting process i did forget to perform the wipe steps before flashing the rooted update but I haven't experienced any ill effects, does anyone know if this will make a difference?

Guest fatwolf
I have seen many people using the recovery-windows.bat file. It wasnt mentioned in the instructions so what does it do? and would it help my windows 7 32bit see my desire when it is in recovery mode?

Read the 1st post in this thread it tells you exactly what it does.

Guest StuMcBill
Hmmm that's strange, i've rooted my desire and it still says release-keys.

During the rooting process i did forget to perform the wipe steps before flashing the rooted update but I haven't experienced any ill effects, does anyone know if this will make a difference?

After step 1, if you boot your device it will say test-keys, once you have done step 2, and applied rootedupdate.zip, it will then display release-keys, and have superuser permissions.

Guest TheScrub
After step 1, if you boot your device it will say test-keys, once you have done step 2, and applied rootedupdate.zip, it will then display release-keys, and have superuser permissions.

Ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

Guest snowwall

Hello GeoTrail

Thanx for these "twe cents" :rolleyes: i would say from my side even more :D

Hmm i did the trick from page 1. Worked perfectly fine ! just now, wondering if there's some new "rom". Actually followed the steps since i wanted to share my internet conncetion and have some tethering. But did not understant at all what was "done".

I was used the HTC rom updates, RUU, SPL, and all the stuff from xda. But with android ...this is ...different. If you've got a few minutes to post a link or two on wiki's, tuto's, and where to start from :( would be very happy. And if not, anyway, thanx a lot. I'll buy another SD card today and let you all know if it works without goldcard.

Regards

Arno

I just had some fun, experimenting with my Desire.

I rooted mine and it worked fine. But today I wanted to try other ROM's that are out there.

Here's what I did:

First I held down the volume key and started the phone by pressing the power button.

Then I entered the RECOVERY menu option.

Connected the phone to my Windows 7 x64 PC, yes, the dreaded 64 bit.

I ran recovery-windows.bat to get to the RA recovery menu.

I had my normal none-Goldcard in. Selected the USB mount option, copied in a ROM image in zip format.

Quit the USB mount, and went to the zip update menu and updated.

When I started the phone after updating, the HTC quietly brilliant screen came as usual, but then it froze. Or, it was more like it went into an endless loop. The screen flickered and the HTC quietly brilliant image came back, over and over.

I did buy my phone from my network provider, but not with any SIM subscription. So I guessed I had bricked the phone.

So after about 10 tries, with different ROM's, I thought, I might aswell try with a goldcard again. And it worked. I did it the same way I described above, but this time with a goldcard.

So to everyone who doesn't know if it will work without a goldcard, try it. It isn't going to hurt your phone. If it doesn't work with a normal sd card, then try again with a goldcard :(

Anyways, my two cents. Food for thought. you know... ;)

EDIT: I just noticed something strange. The phone won't boot unless I have the goldcard in. That's weird. When I insert the normal sdcard, the phone just goes into a loop with the HTC quietly brilliant logo. But when I put in the goldcard it starts up fine.

Guest nico1375

Hello,

I followed the guide to root and install the stock rom on my Orange (france) branded Desire.

It works well, I have a rooted stock 1.15 ROM and 0.75 bootloader.

But the space limitation really pisses me off.

Can I use app2sd or app2sd+ on this rom, or do I need to flash with a custom ROM?

Thanks for the good work :rolleyes:

Edited by nico1375

Guest nico1375
You now need a custom ROM - worth looking @ the MCRr3 ROMs

mmm, just a bit scared with the bricking everybody's talking about...

btw, is it as risky with a bootloader 0.75 than with the 0.80 or is it "safer" ?

Guest afiorillo
mmm, just a bit scared with the bricking everybody's talking about...

btw, is it as risky with a bootloader 0.75 than with the 0.80 or is it "safer" ?

Insufficient data to answer that.

Guest GeoTrail
Hello GeoTrail

Thanx for these "twe cents" :rolleyes: i would say from my side even more :D

Hmm i did the trick from page 1. Worked perfectly fine ! just now, wondering if there's some new "rom". Actually followed the steps since i wanted to share my internet conncetion and have some tethering. But did not understant at all what was "done".

I was used the HTC rom updates, RUU, SPL, and all the stuff from xda. But with android ...this is ...different. If you've got a few minutes to post a link or two on wiki's, tuto's, and where to start from :( would be very happy. And if not, anyway, thanx a lot. I'll buy another SD card today and let you all know if it works without goldcard.

Regards

Arno

I think this is one of the easiest ones I've found, besides Paul's offcourse :(

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-desire...htc_desire.html

Guest irishandrew
My desire has bootloader 0.75... can i flash this rom to make the bootloader 0.80?

There is no reason to update the bootloader, in fact as the versions progress HTC have made things more difficult. Keep 0.75 and make sure you are rooted using the 0.75 method. Flashing the Custom ROMs will not update the bootloader (apart from anything else there is no need).

In this instance, it's when you want the oldest/lowest version number!

-Andrew.

To reiterate from Paul's first post;

If you have a ROM that starts 1.15.xxx then your HBOOT is likely 0.75. Check, and then download the first download in the first post.

If you have a 1.21.xxx based ROM then you likely have HBOOT 0.80. Check, and if so download the second download in the first post.

The only other possibility that Paul alluded to was the combination of having a 1.21.xxx ROM with a HBOOT of 0.75. In this situation it seems to suggest also using the *second* download, though I don't think that this combination exists naturally in the wild as it were and it would be worth double checking before updating the HBOOT from someone who knows better!

If you are already rooted - STOP. You don't need to root again. Go an download one of Paul's custom ROMs and flash away. They are all pre-rooted, which means that when it boots it will be nice and rooted and waiting for you to play. Obviously you cannot just install a pre-rooted ROM on an unrooted phone as you need root access in order to be able to flash in the first place :rolleyes:

Edited by irishandrew

Guest soomon

hey there,

i have a desire with 080 bootloader and 121 image.

i am stuck at step 2!

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

everything went fine till now.. what do i have to do?

i also removed the goldcard and inserted another one.. does not help..

Edited by soomon

Guest rhath127

hi guys, how do I know if i have successfully rooted my desire? i followed the process and have managed to install the rootupdate.zip which came with the r5 package.

but i cant get into the recovery mode without running the step2.bat file....is this right?

i am trying to install a custom boot screen to get rid of that annoying boot up sound.

also will market enabler work?

thanks for your help

Edited by rhath127

Guest Robbie Khan

I just wanted someone to confirm, my Desire is a vanilla HTC one so no goldcard needed so will I have to wipe during the rooting process or can I skip the wipe?

I have a lot of customisations I'd rather not have to re-do until a 2.2 rom is out!

Guest EddyOS

I'd reccommend wiping just to be safe as some customisations might not transfer - but that's just me. I have a fairly basic Android install without loads of apps, like things streamlined and only have what I use on the unit

Guest Robbie Khan

Re-installing 39 apps and configuring them + 5 homescreens is not going to be fun so I think I'll hold off until a 2.2 rom is released because I'll have to wipe for that anyway!

Guest PeBo75
i am stuck at step 2!

Desire Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

Did you enter recovery mode after step one?

step1 ends with a reboot into FASTBOOT USB again, then you must highlight BOOTLOADER using Vol-UP or DOWN key, POWER-Key to select. In HBOOT USB menu wait a view seconds, it will look for some files before you can do anything there, then highlight and select RECOVERY and if you get the screen with a red triangle and exclamation mark start step2 script

Before starting step2 make sure you don't use a USB hub and check plugs for secure fit on each end of USB cable!