14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

I tried to root someone's desire, but I don't have admin access on the computer I'm trying to root. Nevertheless, I tried:

./step1-mac.sh

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

Password:

rto is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

About to start flash...

Rebooting to bootloader...

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

I think it's because of the admin-access that I get these error messages?

Guest dickenz
Am also having the same issue mate - see replies on prev page - its a gold card issue apparently - am waiting till pay day to get a 2gb sandisk :)

Hey mate - It's not a gold card issue sadly.

I have many, many SD cards on hand in spare Blackberry's - All 1GB and 2GB Sandisk. I also have NOKIA ones, an unbranded one and a Kingston one.

I've tried Goldcarding them ALL and not one worked, ever since I tried with the unbranded one I received the same error "remote: 43 main version check fail".

Save your dosh for now.

To Paul,

Mate is there any chance you can look into this error? It seems to be happening on more than one device. I've seen it happening on Legends and Desires, at least so far.

I'm gonna try updating to 1.21 and HBOOT 0.80 to see if I can get past this error. I'll let you all know.

By the way I have a Telstra HTC Desire.

Cheers.

Guest dickenz
Are you sure a sandisk gold card will fix the error?

As i know someone that has a sandisk card and is getting the same error "FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)"

That's a different error - We are getting "remote: 43 main version fail". Check my post above.

I've tried many SD cards :'(

Guest cc1961
Sorry for the really basic question, this is my first attempt at rooting.

When it says "unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt" and "Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'" does anything have to be put on an sdcard (apart from the goldcard) or it it all done from the computer?

Thanks

I should all be from your PC ....

Guest neoDite
That's a different error - We are getting "remote: 43 main version fail". Check my post above.

I've tried many SD cards :'(

So Remote: 42 is a goldcard error?

Guest dickenz
Soo...I'm wondering if it's my current ROM "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe".

To check this (and triple check the goldcard works) I decided to go back from the Telstra ROM to the Europe ROM which I was running previously. A couple of weird things. This is under Windows as I have done before...

Firstly, if I try to run the RUU when the device is in on the FASTBOOT screen, the RUU gets so far, then waits for the bootloader to start, which never happens. After 60 seconds it times out.

Secondly, if I boot the phone up, plug it in and select to connect as HTC Sync, the RUU gets further. It starts the bootloader and writes the ROM to the phone, but then fails with an incompatible bootloader error.

I believe this is different to what I saw before with a bad goldcard (I think that was incompatible device ID?). The bootloader does say 0.75 so I'm puzzled.

Can you confirm that we should be able to go backward to lower number ROMs with a goldcard and bootloader 0.75?

Also, is this the issue that you would expect to see if it was running the problematic 0.80 bootloader (maybe they patched some vulnerability without incrementing the version number in my ROM?)

Lastly, can you tell me what the "main version check fail" actually means?

I suspect I'm going to have to wait around with this branded ROM until another root hack is found, but any hints appreciated.

Hi Zilch,

I can confirm it's not the Telstra ROM at fault as I had read of others with this problem that are not running Telstra devices; such as the Legend.

I think it is a problem with the bootloader itself, unfortunately I do not know too much more but I can confirm that after attempting to re-flash the Telstra ROM with the GPS fix I also time out at "Waiting for bootloader" after 60 sec.

Hoping we can solve this one soon :)

Cheers.

Guest dickenz
So Remote: 42 is a goldcard error?

Yes I am fairly sure... I think I used to get remote: 41 model id check fail but since using the unbranded SD card I get remote: 43 main version check fail

Guest neoDite

Just checked my ROM version and it's 1.20.207.3 :)

DAMN HAVING TO GET A NEW PHONE :)

I take it there is no way to downgrade the rom? :)

*edit* nvm it's for under 1.21. so it should still work.

Ill try rooting again with Linux tonight (My windows 7 is 64bit) and if not i have a sandisk card on it's way to see if that's the problem

Edited by neoDite

Guest bubblecat

Very nice !

Thanks for putting that into a pair of batch files.

It's so easy and everything going itself.

Great work, many thanks to Paul and all people that help around him ! :)

Guest Subject Delta

Finished rooting, running MCR 3.1 with a custom OCUV kernel with audio loudness mod. The process worked smoothly, and flawlessly!

Guest gumbald

I'm getting an error 42 with a 4GB Sandisk that came with the phone? Going to order an 8GB tonight as I was going to change anyway, do I make sure it's a Sandisk?

Guest meeeeeeeee
[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

Not sure if this has been covered yet, however i did mine from a Win7 32 machine and encountered and error on Step 1, the sugested fix :a pause is needed, as windows waits for errors, but linux doesn't, Im not sure if the main downloaded should be updated to accomodate win7 32 bit machines

@echo off

echo Desire Root Step 1

echo.

echo Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

echo.

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache

fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

echo.

echo About to start flash...

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

echo.

echo THE ERROR IS NORMAL, DO NOT TURN OFF THE PHONE

echo.

echo System is now waiting 15 Seconds before reflashing testimage.zip

sleep 15

echo.

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

echo.

echo Rebooting to bootloader...

echo.

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader

echo.

echo Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

echo.

echo To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

Guest MrGulost

rootfail.jpg

what should I do now? on step2 with vista 64bit.

my phone has a pic of a red triangle and a phone.

edit: i got it booted, installed a program for printscreen, and the program worked when it said it needed root. guess the phones rooted now.

Edited by MrGulost

Guest dickenz
could you please explain exactly how you updated to 1.21 HTC ROM please, I am having exactly the same problems are you were

As I stated I downloaded it in .zip format... You can find the needed stock ROM download here: http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/PB99...6984_signed.zip

Once you've completed the download, rename the file to PB99IMG.zip and then copy it to the root directory of your SD card.

Reboot the phone holding down the back button to reach fastboot. From fastboot select BOOTLOADER from the menu and wait.

The bootloader will automatically check the root of the SD for 3 .zip files, the 3rd one being PB99IMG.zip.

So yeah as long as PB99IMG.zip is present on your SD card the update will begin. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete it.

Cheers.

Guest stedo

Hi guys, would greatly appreciate your input on this, I've read so many pages and I'm going crazy, I'm on win7 64bit.

Any idea what's wrong with the message below? erasing cache failed and sending the zip files took 1 hour and I terminated it. I'm guessing it's a driver problems with win7?

C:\Flash Android\r5-desire-root-alt\r5-desire-root-alt>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

... FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... ^CTerminate batch job (Y/N)? y

C:\Flash Android\r5-desire-root-alt\r5-desire-root-alt>

Guest dickenz
I followed your instructions but it is saying it cant find PB99IMG.nbh, any ideas?

That is right.

The process looks for 3 files an nbh, a zip and another.

As long as you have the .zip you should be fine. You do not need the .nbh or the other format. It looks for the .zip last of the three.

Cheers.

Guest Barry Bradford
That is right.

The process looks for 3 files an nbh, a zip and another.

As long as you have the .zip you should be fine. You do not need the .nbh or the other format. It looks for the .zip last of the three.

Cheers.

Just wanting to clarify the size of that rom - ~64kb??

Guest comtezero

Hello,

Thank you for this guide. I have root my desire on Windows Seven X64, no problem when i operate and nothing for moment.

Great job.

Guest Barry Bradford

OK I've downloaded the stock rom however it wasnt a zip but an exe file?

Would like a hand with this before i proceed

Anyone ?

Guest tonemgub

Hello phonesters,

This all looks very interesting, connecting a phone to a PC and mucking about with it. I've read through the thread -- not the whole thing, but quite a few pages at the beginning, and a few towards the end -- and what I can't figure out is *why* one would carry out this process.

Can someone say what advantages doing this "root" business confers over running the phone as it ships?

(If my limited understanding of the Linux operating system is right, one enters "SU" mode, or executes a command with "root" privileges when, and only when required. This protects the integrity of the system. Is the process described and discussed throughout this thread at odds with that ethos? If so, why?)