14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulW21781
As per this chap. Is it then a case of making an SD card with a FAT32 & EXT2 partition and then that is it? Or do we need to do further steps. I have found some guides but these are for different handsets and different ROMS it seems (I think). I do not want to mess anything up!

Well... I re-partitioned the SD card in the recovery console (backup up the contents first) but this was done *after* I did the app2sd install...

I noticed, under the /system/sd/app folder, it only contained APK files. Nothing existed under /system/sd/app-data

Not sure if this is right?? I'm re-flashing anyways now from the rootupdate... Then will do app2sd as soon as thats done *just* incase the sd card has to be partitioned before installing App2SD, as when trying to install it again after partitioning after installing once before it fails... Bah... I can't explain lol

Guest mrshark

can we use a spare sd as goldcard, and after rooting, changing it with a more capable one, or goldcard MUST remain in slot for root to continue to work?

and, after rooting, can we (and how?) restore settings backupped in some way (again, how?)... thanks!

Guest DjDario
You need to do this part on either a MAC or Linux. If you have a PC I believe you need to download a Live Linux CD and boot from this, then run the .sh file from shell/terminal.

thank you for this tip. Where can i download proper Live Linux CD ?

Guest Kopfgeldjaeger

I'm not so sure anymore if A2SD does not work...

- I installed A2SD, no problems

- created an ext2 partition with slightly over 1000MB

- rebooted

When installing an app, it's file size is still subtracted by the amount shown in Settings->SD-Card.

But I can't find e.g. a RoboDefense apk or anything after installing that game (and other apps with made the shown number of available memory smaller...)

Hmm...

Guest dreamdealer
I can confirm that you likely will need a 32BIT LINUX!

Wasn't working on 10.04 64Bit, is working on 9.04 32BIT!!!!! :huh:

confirmed, works on 32 bit version of ubuntu = ok , just one more thing how long is the push file thing supposed to take.

Guest nikosrs4
when i click recovery-linux.sh opens a pop up with option "run in terminal" and "run" and whatever i choose nothing happens...like i didn't choose a thing... :huh:

ok done!!!

permission problem, but I couldn't see it anywhere..

Guest dennusb
confirmed, works on 32 bit version of ubuntu = ok , just one more thing how long is the push file thing supposed to take.

It took less then 30 seconds here :huh:

Guest rassha
I'm not so sure anymore if A2SD does not work...

- I installed A2SD, no problems

- created an ext2 partition with slightly over 1000MB

- rebooted

When installing an app, it's file size is still subtracted by the amount shown in Settings->SD-Card.

But I can't find e.g. a RoboDefense apk or anything after installing that game (and other apps with made the shown number of available memory smaller...)

Hmm...

Could you please explain how do you installed APP2SD? Via recovery menu?

Guest zoltar99

I created the gold card, flashed twice and both times I am still getting the Fastboot instead of Hboot after rebooting in bootloader mode. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Just me being stupid, once I pressed Fastboot it took me one step further to Hboot.

Now on with the rest of the steps.

Edited by zoltar99

Guest dreamdealer
It took less then 30 seconds here :huh:

lol it been 5 mins here.. too scared to unplug lol. coz the usb device is flashing on virtual box. i either risk unpluging it or i am in for a long night. well got no green, still showing red so i sopose its ok to unplug it.. and try again.

Edited by dreamdealer

Guest lnoormohamed

hi paul. great work what is the proceeduer if i have already flashed via gold card to a gerneric rom. do i go throught the proceedure again?

Guest DarkMio

Hey, cool one - I translated it in German. ...

So for now, with this '32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update)' you have the .80 bootloader...

Can you root with this one? ... I have a german O2 Desire, and so I read, I can't root. ... Come there furthermore updates with the root?

Why I can't root? What is the matter?

Btw.: Paul, you are my programmer-hero. You done this in ... 2 Days, and give A2SD on the same day, and booted sucessfully CM ... Holy Sh*t - you are one of the fastest heros i've ever seen. ... The others need weeks, you 2 Days and a few hours after.

Guest IrealiTY

As I see you alle have with the new update the .80 bootloader, is there a possibility to "hack" this bootloader? So we (german O2 customers) can also get the pelasure of the Modaco / CM Rom

Guest waterc00l

hi,

which usb driver do you use for mac? I executed the recovery-mac.sh but nothing happens @ my desire :huh: i think there is no usb driver installed on my mac

I created the gold card, flashed twice and both times I am still getting the Fastboot instead of Hboot after rebooting in bootloader mode. What am I doing wrong?

Fastboot - turning on with back button.

Hboot - turning on with volume down button.

You can switch between the two on the menu...

P

lol it been 5 mins here.. too scared to unplug lol. coz the usb device is flashing on virtual box. i either risk unpluging it or i am in for a long night. well got no green, still showing red so i sopose its ok to unplug it.. and try again.

That's a safe place to unplug and retry.

P

Guest neowl

Got it working in the end, Virtual Machines seem not to work from my end, live CD of Ubuntu 9.10 did the trick :huh:

Is it correct that the Superuser app doesn't display anything when I access it?

My guess is that apps that require root access go in there as 'superuser' apps??

Anyone able to clarify if my job was a complete success?

Edited by neowl

hi paul. great work what is the proceeduer if i have already flashed via gold card to a gerneric rom. do i go throught the proceedure again?

You need to flash all the steps, yeah.

P

Hey, cool one - I translated it in German. ...

So for now, with this '32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 Radio update (from Asia 1.19.707.6 update)' you have the .80 bootloader...

Can you root with this one? ... I have a german O2 Desire, and so I read, I can't root. ... Come there furthermore updates with the root?

Why I can't root? What is the matter?

Btw.: Paul, you are my programmer-hero. You done this in ... 2 Days, and give A2SD on the same day, and booted sucessfully CM ... Holy Sh*t - you are one of the fastest heros i've ever seen. ... The others need weeks, you 2 Days and a few hours after.

:huh:

No updated for .80 bootloader, i'm doing my best tho... :P

P

Guest DarkMio
:P

No updated for .80 bootloader, i'm doing my best tho... :blink:

P

But you work on it? And you have the .80 Bootloader?

My Thought was:

.75 -> rooting -> .80 update = works

.80 -> Rooting =! works

Or?

And why don'T you reply me on twitter? :huh: Wanna see my german translation?

Guest Kopfgeldjaeger

OK, A2SD works. Apps are installed in /system/sd, but with root I can see everything via adb...

Good.

But anyway, why does Settings->SDCARD bla say the internal memory gets lower? Hmm... :huh:

Guest neowl
Can I use VMware for ubuntu installation?

it wouldn't work on Virtualbox for me, so I wouldn't reccomend a VMware install, try with live CD

Guest magicpie1980
it wouldn't work on Virtualbox for me, so I wouldn't reccomend a VMware install, try with live CD

Im actually on ubuntu 9 32bit and says it cant see the files, does anyone have a clue what this means?

root@ubuntu:/home/magic/pushfiles# bash recovery-linux.sh

recovery-linux.sh: line 2: ./adb-linux: No such file or directory

recovery-linux.sh: line 3: ./adb-linux: No such file or directory

root@ubuntu:/home/magic/pushfiles# recovery-linux.sh: line 4: ./adb-linux: No such file or directory

do i need sdk installed on linux to run this recovery-linux.sh?

Edited by magicpie1980