14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Ziv Rozz

Hello, Thank you for this excellent Guide !

I have a question though:

After rooted my HTC Desire I was trying to change files on the /system/fonts directory, using the following operations:

I first run the command:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

then tried to copy files using:

cat /sdcard/DroidSans-Bold.ttf > /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf

but received the following message:

write: No space left on device

DF shows:

/dev: 203944K total, 0K used, 203944K available (block size 4096)

/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)

/system: 256000K total, 250240K used, 5760K available (block size 4096)

/data: 151168K total, 52688K used, 98480K available (block size 4096)

/cache: 40960K total, 2728K used, 38232K available (block size 4096)

/app-cache: 8192K total, 0K used, 8192K available (block size 4096)

/sdcard: 3837608K total, 490092K used, 3347516K available (block size 4096)

Please advice.

Thank you.

Guest shug176
Are u sure the "update.zip" file is in the root of your sdcard? (not inside any folders?)

Also u can try to delete the update.zip from the sdcard and copy it over again.

well the sd card has 2 files on it from making the god card so i have it put beside them bat not inside them

Guest Marteni
I'm having no success in rooting my phone.

Phone is HTC Desire A8183

Build 1.16.841.1

Bootloader 0.75

I made a gold card using this method and a Kingston 2BG card: http://android.modaco.com/content/software...n-goldcardtool/

The phone reads the card, and using a hex editor I can verify that lines 000 to 017 have been copied to the mbr. Is there any way to check that this is a gold card?

Downloaded r6-desire-root-alt from this thread. Check sum matches. Followed the procedure successfully up until 'apply sdcard:update.zip', then the verification of the zipfile fails about a third of the way in and aborts.

After choosing 'reboot' from the menu the phone reboots to the original Telstra rom with all user data wiped.

This is really doing my head in.

Finally success! At making a gold card that is. Yes, the gold card was the problem. On my fourth micro sd card (Sandisk 2g that was gathering dust in my old nokia) it came good. I did not format to fat 32 but left the original formatting in place; don't know if this made a difference but the card works. I know this 'cos I was able to flash a stock rom 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_

igned.exe' to test the card. I like the rom - the phone is noticeably more responsive.

Now to root and give R6 a shot.

Guest killerost
Hello,

I would advise everyone blocked with the "E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)"

to type "fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" before leaving the BOOTLOADER. It could be added in the step1 batch/bash script. ;)

Thanks, man.. you are god.. I've been trying for a whole day to recover my badword-up by stupid flashing Desire! :(

Guest gjlamb

Hi all, first post here. Searched through the thread for errors that I get doing this. I'm sure I've followed this to the letter. Got this error running the shell script

sudo ./step1-mac.sh

Password:

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (remote: 41 model id check fail)

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

Tried using the recovery mode after wiping but get an error something about an invalid signature.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Marteni
Hi all, first post here. Searched through the thread for errors that I get doing this. I'm sure I've followed this to the letter. Got this error running the shell script......

Tried using the recovery mode after wiping but get an error something about an invalid signature.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

As a newbie myself this may or may not be of use to you untill one of the guru's comes up for air. It may be a gold card issue. My experience as noted in this thread is that making a good gold card is a bit hit and miss.

Try to install one of the stock roms found here:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

They are win executables, so pretty much follow the prompt stuff and painless.

If this works you will know you have a good gold card and you'll have a nice fresh stock rom to be going on with.

Hope this is of some help.

I'm also stuck at the Verifying update package. I actually used Paul's guide, together with a Gold card to debrand my phone a while back. And now I wanted to try to root, but got stuck.

I put the update.zip on my gold card and followd the instructions. However, I'm getting the following message:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signatureverification failed

Installation aborted.

I have bootloader 0.75 and OS 1.15

I've actually tried both root packages, but neither works...

Remco

Guest shug176
Hi all, first post here. Searched through the thread for errors that I get doing this. I'm sure I've followed this to the letter. Got this error running the shell script

sudo ./step1-mac.sh

Password:

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

This is the exact error i was getting i have bit the bullet and left my phone into a shop to have it done ;)

Guest gjlamb
As a newbie myself this may or may not be of use to you untill one of the guru's comes up for air. It may be a gold card issue. My experience as noted in this thread is that making a good gold card is a bit hit and miss.

Try to install one of the stock roms found here:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

They are win executables, so pretty much follow the prompt stuff and painless.

If this works you will know you have a good gold card and you'll have a nice fresh stock rom to be going on with.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks.. will try tomorrow. I thought it could be a GoldCard issue. One thing that was different from the instructions is that the line numbers ended in 6 ie 0000016 - 0000076 (not sure if the number of 0's is correct but you get my drift).

Guest xefyr

Why should I root my Desire and what is the pros and cons? I know it will give me access to some apps blabla, but is it really necessary?

Guest Raihan.kabir
Hi,

First of all, thank for all the great work you've put into rooting the Desire ;)

Now, some questions (that as far as I've read throughout this thread, haven't been answered)

1) I suppose rooting the device voids its warranty. However, in the case of needing the warranty, is it possible to revert back to the original ROM, as if nothing has been modified, so it can be considered "untouched" and be eligible for warranty?

2) This one's been asked above, but you haven't answered: if *something* were to go wrong during the rooting process (either my mistake or another kind of problem), will I somehow be able to "recover" the device? As in, re-flash it to the original ROM, which would, you know, be working? :(

3) About the goldcard part.. Do I need a separate microSD card or can I use the one I'll actually be using with the phone? (Yes, I'm aware it needs to be 100% wiped, but this is not an issue).

4) The least important one: when doing the "Wipe/Factory reset" step, will it reset the device to the Factory settings, as if I'd have done this the usual way?

HI Paul,

Bravo....Really great work.

I am new here and also this is my first post.(I have HTC desire with HBOOT 0.80)

In addition with the above quires....of hts,

1) will rooting(AP2SD) will be there after updating to 2.2 (as we hope OTA update will be there soon)?

2) And also at the time of rooting it will go back to factory setting, are those update will be still there that i already have throug OTA. if i need to do those again , is those OTA update available as those update more than 1 month before?

I desperately want to have AP2SD, but scared about the above issue.

Please help me.

thanks advance all of your support.

br//

I'm also stuck at the Verifying update package. I actually used Paul's guide, together with a Gold card to debrand my phone a while back. And now I wanted to try to root, but got stuck.

I put the update.zip on my gold card and followd the instructions. However, I'm getting the following message:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signatureverification failed

Installation aborted.

I have bootloader 0.75 and OS 1.15

I've actually tried both root packages, but neither works...

I have been able to root now. I believe it was a problem of the computer not being able to "talk" to the phone over the USB cable. The command prompt wasn't doing anything after starting the step1-windows.bat, and since the guide didn't mention anything about a whole slew of things having to happen in the dosbox, I just assumed everything was OK. But of course it wasn't.... Now I'm not sure why it didn't work there, but it did work on my other PC, but after several tries at the dos-prompt, that part finally succeeded without any errors after which the second part (Wipe/Format and do the SD:Update.zip) went without a hitch.

Remco

Guest gjlamb

So I tried again from scratch but still get the same error when in recovery mode. Running the mac .sh script I get this error now 'FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)'. Tried on both my mac and a WinXP computer.

Edited by gjlamb

Guest gjlamb

I've been reading through the posts on the Creating a GoldCard thread and noticed at http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1258440 that the GoldCard procedure doesn't work for the Desire?????? Is that correct? Am I following the instructions in this Desire rooting thread with a subset of instructions that won't work???

Thanks....feeling oh so frustrated at the moment. HTC should be shot for making us jump through all these hoops to use an open OS the way we want to.

Perhaps the process failing has something to do with the Telstra ROM on there?

Edited by gjlamb

Guest smkilani

I have already rooted my device using the r5 guide. What is the difference between r5 and r6? and do I need to do it again?

Thanks,

Guest 42turkeys
So I tried again from scratch but still get the same error when in recovery mode. Running the mac .sh script I get this error now 'FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)'. Tried on both my mac and a WinXP computer.

You need the 0.80 bootloader version.

Guest Korbi
Stuck - please help

I have got this far:

C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\desire\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

I now have a black screen with htc written on it, and the power button is not responsive.

What should I do?

I have the exakt same log! How can I fix this??? Can i simply turn off my phone and try again???

EDIT: Now it seems to work: I didnt use the *.bat i started the*.exe-files manually and then it worked. Seems like the *.bat is faulty...

Edited by Korbi

Guest Bradmax57

Created my gold card and got as far as the part where the red triangle was on the black screen , and then got to the bit below.

at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option, then select the option to 'Apply sdcard:update.zip

it then failed after trying to apply sdcard:update.zip

e:\failed to verify whole-file signature

e:\signature verification failed

I know its probably me but any ideas?

Thanks in advance

edit just realised im not getting far enough to try above, as its failing when im typing step1-windows.bat

Capture-2.jpg

Edited by Bradmax57

Guest Robbie Khan

Really strange one this, tried on both Win7 x86 and x64 after getting the error first on x64.

During Step 1's end I get:

C:\Users\Lordlukman\Desktop\r6-desire-root>adb-windows devices

adb server is out of date.  killing...

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

C:\Users\Lordlukman\Desktop\r6-desire-root>'step1-windows.bat

''step1-windows.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Lordlukman\Desktop\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

< waiting for device >

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

C:\Users\Lordlukman\Desktop\r6-desire-root>

On x64 it wasn't rebooting into the bootloader but on x86 it did however the HBOOT 90 error shows on both and as such flashing the update.zip doesn't work as it doesn't verify.

The phone is my dad's Orange branded Desire on 0.75 hboot and 1.15 software.

My own unbranded Desire rooted perfectly fine although I used r4 ages ago and I did it via x64 as well.

I think I created the goldcard correctly and everything, I put the update .zip into the card and booted up as instructed. First time goldcarding btw as my phone didn't need it.

Edited by Robbie Khan

Guest haroonadiga
On x64 it wasn't rebooting into the bootloader but on x86 it did however the HBOOT 90 error shows on both and as such flashing the update.zip doesn't work as it doesn't verify.

The phone is my dad's Orange branded Desire on 0.75 hboot and 1.15 software.

My own unbranded Desire rooted perfectly fine although I used r4 ages ago and I did it via x64 as well.

I think I created the goldcard correctly and everything, I put the update .zip into the card and booted up as instructed. First time goldcarding btw as my phone didn't need it.

I'm also having this problem can some one help ;)...

Guest shug176

sudo ./step1-mac.sh

Password:

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

left my phone into an unlocker shop and the couldnt get it unbranded from orange due to this too