14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest KFAS

Hi,

Thanks Paul for everything, and thanks to all those working to make this phone better than the best, I am new to this only had phone 2 weeks so please everyone bear with me.

I have flashed my .80 Hboot 1.21 with above instructions.

Now I have root, Rom Manager agrees. I thought I would backup rom from this, but this just asked if I wanted to install Clockwork Mod and then black screen, reboot to red triangle, I tapped quick on power after a while and it re-booted all looks OK Rom Manger says Clockwork Mod installed, but no idea is any backup ! Cant see one.

Anyway I now have 1.15, radio is as was 4.06.00.02-2 , Firmware 2.1-update1. The OTA update has come down as expected, So all as one would expect.

Question now is if I install this OTA Update do I loose ROOT ?? - Putting me back to how I was, so how to have 1.21 with Root ?? Nothing on here seems to point this out.

All I want is Stock Generic HTC Rom with Sense UI rooted, and I wish to have APS2SD installed ! - how?

Of Course I wish to move to 2.2 but not untill all issues are sorted out.

Please asssit ! Many Thanks to all those in the know,

Guest Benfeelme
Yep, many has noticed that: once updated the process with the ISO things, the A2SD part was left behind. Just follow my instructions provided below and you'll be fine. :D

BE ADVISED: you're about to act under your sole responsibility. :D Read carefully these instructions and follow it step by step: don't make assumptions, don't experiment.

**EDITED AND FIXED**

Print out this post for your convenience.

You'll need two MicroSD cards: one is the goldcard (a goldcard is needed only if your Desire comes from a Telco operator (T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone and so on), in any other case a spare MicroSD will be sufficient; for semplicity, I'll refer to this MicroSD as "the goldcard"), the other is the one you'll use with A2SD. WARNING: This implies wiping the Desire and the second MicroSD card, so backup your stuff before starting up.

1. Have your goldcard ready.
  2. Now you have two options: if you are already familiar with Linux, download and burn on a CD any Linux LiveCD or use the already installed one if applicable. I suggest NOT TO USE VIRTUAL MACHINES here, you'll have a much easier life. Virtualizing things is cool, but we're doing some serious stuff here. So act plain and straightforward. If you choose Linux, download and extract this file in a folder of your choice, to be used later. However, if you prefer using Windows, download and extract this other file (thanks to nilezon, here).
  3. If appropriate, boot your computer from the downloaded LiveCD.
  4. Turn off the Desire and insert the goldcard into the MicroSD slot.
  5. Turn on the Desire the normal way; once booted up, connect it to your computer (DO NOT USE USB HUBS, NOR USB FRONT PORTS ON DESKTOPS, NO RETRACTABLE-AUTOREWIND-CRAPCABLES and so on; also, make sure your Desire is the only USB device attached to the computer) and choose "Disk unit" (or whatever English locale will show for "USB host").
  6. Download this file (it's the A2SD enhanced version, the one that moves dalvik-cache too, freeing an extra 20 MB or so -- thanks to PaulW21781, here) and copy it on the goldcard that in the meantime appears as a new icon on the Linux desktop or as a autorun prompt in Windows. You have to copy the file on the root folder of the goldcard, leaving it untouched (DO NOT uncompress it, DO NOT rename it, leave it alone).
  7. Unmount the goldcard from Linux/Windows using the proper command.
  8. Unplug the Desire from the computer and turn it off.
  9. Leaving the goldcard in, turn it on again pressing the power button and volume down button.
  10. After a few seconds, you enter the bootloader: wait a couple of seconds again and, using the volume down button, hilight the green RECOVERY item; press the power button to select it.
  11. The Desire will reboot and show the red triangle screen (no way to escape it without pulling the battery).
  12. Plug again the Desire to the computer: nothing happens.
  13. If running Linux, open a terminal window, move to the folder where you extracted the pushfiles.zip earlier and copy/paste in it the following commands as a block, issuing an extra <enter> at the end:
    ./adb-linux kill-server

sudo ./adb-linux start-server

sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

If running Windows, locate in Windows Explorer the folder where you extracted pushfiles_windows.zip earlier and double-click recovery-windows.bat (or "recovery-windows" alone if you have turned off the file extensions display).

14. You'll see a bunch of log lines scroll on the terminal (or command prompt) window stating that some files are being "pushed" to the device. It'll take 7/8 seconds or so to finish.
  15. Looking back at the Desire, you'll see that the red triangle screen is gone and a greenish recovery console appeared.
  16. Using the optical trackpad (press it to confirm choices) perform a "Wipe" -> "Wipe data/factory reset" (followed by a "Wipe cache" and a "Wipe Dalvik-cache" to be sure). Press Volume Down to go back to the main menu.
  17. Select now "Flash zip from sdcard" and select "r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-fresh-signed.zip"; confirm and wait.
  18. Once flashing is over, select the "Power off" command.
  19. Unplug the Desire from the USB port and open it pulling the battery.
  20. Swap the goldcard with the main one. Place the goldcard in a safe place. The new one is not required to be already formatted/partitioned: you're going to do that in a few minutes. Just remember that you're about to wipe it off, so backup its contents (if applicable).
  21. Reinsert the battery, apply the back cover.
  22. Turn on the Desire pressing the Volume Down key again: you have to re-enter the greenish Recovery Console.
  23. So, repeat the steps from 10 to 15.
  24. Using the optical trackpad, now select "Partition sdcard" -> "Partition SD" and issue a SWAP=0, EXT2=512, FAT32=<remaining> partition command (read carefully the instructions provided on-screen by the procedure, you'll have to use the volume keys too, here).
  25. Find and issue the "SD:ext2 to ext3" command. DO NOT upgrade the partition to ext4: the more isn't always the merrier.
  26. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select "Reboot system now". While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.
  27. You're done. Just perform the initial configuration wizard and you're ready to go.
  28. From now on, the apps will be installed into the (normally invisible, since you don't use adb) ext3 partition, the dalvik-cache will be redirected to the memory card too and you can install hundreds of apps without running out of storage space (the only limit is the 512 MB chosen @step 24: increase or decrease it according to your needs. Just keep in mind that an unrooted Desire gives you 130 MB of space).
Please note that flashing a ROM will wipe A2SD too. This implies two things:
  1. If something goes wrong while installing A2SD with the above procedure (or with any other procedure, such an endless reboot at the "quietly brilliant" screen), you can still re-flash rootedupdate.zip to roll back and start over (in the toughest cases, try this workaround; in any case, RE-READ THIS TUTORIAL CAREFULLY). Just re-enter the Recovery Console using steps 9 to 15 above after having copied rootedupdate.zip on the goldcard.
  2. If you'll flash another ROM that does not contain A2SD, you'll loose it and you'll need to repeat the steps above.
Hope this helps. :lol:

Does this method of installing a2sd work with bootloader of version 0.80? I have done a2sd installation before this and got stuck at the htc loading screen.

Guest kano96
Does this method of installing a2sd work with bootloader of version 0.80? I have done a2sd installation before this and got stuck at the htc loading screen.

I'm in the same position too with bootloader 0.80 after following the guide above except i used MCR3.1 image with A2SD addon but i also get stuck at the htc loading screen.

any ideas?

Guest kai84m

Thank you very very much!

Rooting of my Desire worked perfectly now. I made it with Ubuntu instead of Windows now and it worked perfect!

Guest Eazi
Thank you for the great job you are doing for the htc Desire owners community.

I have to report on a problem, not sure to what it is related, as I see many users actually rooting their Desire, while I get an error.

However, it is the same error Javipe reported in his post above, so it looks like a recent problem, maybe related to the sync application (Application Upgrade - HTC Sync 2.0.33) we did download from HTC, in order to get the new USB driver?

Here is the screen of the problem:

My Desire is the same as Javipe reported on his Desire, bought it some 3 weeks ago in Taipei, Taiwan.

Thanks allot,

FalcoApps

I have the same error, please help

Guest dancrista

Rooted today on win xp, risk-free v6, no problem at all.

First flashed 3.1 prebaked a2sd+, had some unexpected resets, didnt manage to find out the cause.

Decided to remove wavesecure and realized is a pain to do it (thanks to Paul) so flashed again but before that deleted wavesecure from the rom before flash, resigned rom, see how-to here - Removing apps from pre-backed roms - xda developers.

Everything work lighting fast. I will see next week if I will have any trouble.

Many thanks for your work.

Guest Liney_2000
As I stated I downloaded it in .zip format... You can find the needed stock ROM download here: http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/PB99...6984_signed.zip

Once you've completed the download, rename the file to PB99IMG.zip and then copy it to the root directory of your SD card.

Reboot the phone holding down the back button to reach fastboot. From fastboot select BOOTLOADER from the menu and wait.

The bootloader will automatically check the root of the SD for 3 .zip files, the 3rd one being PB99IMG.zip.

So yeah as long as PB99IMG.zip is present on your SD card the update will begin. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete it.

Cheers.

Also have Telstra Desire, unfortunately none of this is working whatsoever.

Rooting fails with the "Signature Verification" errors and so on.

Tried both R6 files, no good - same error!!

Tried R5, but can't get files from that server!!!!

Tried the above-mentioned, no joy...in fact, this does nothing at all?? (no response), not sure why.

Basically have wasted too much time on this, just want a phone which is not restricted by app storage, otherwise great phone.

Guest wolvie77

Hi! all. i'm trying to root my Desire with 0.80 bootrom. after downloading the file on Paul's first post. i unzip the file but can't find the update.zip infact theres no zip file inside. please advice.

Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.

Copy the 'update.zip' file to your microSD. Do NOT rename it.

i read his instructions till point 3 which i've underlined & bold where it says copy 'update.zip' to microsd & do not rename & i'm stuck. any kind forumers please help me. i'm new to rooting. don't want to screw up my 2 days old desire.

Edited by wolvie77

Guest itachi46
Also have Telstra Desire, unfortunately none of this is working whatsoever.

Rooting fails with the "Signature Verification" errors and so on.

Tried both R6 files, no good - same error!!

Tried R5, but can't get files from that server!!!!

Tried the above-mentioned, no joy...in fact, this does nothing at all?? (no response), not sure why.

Basically have wasted too much time on this, just want a phone which is not restricted by app storage, otherwise great phone.

when using the r6 what error message did you get? 41? if it is then use a gold card (remake it with this http://android.modaco.com/content/software...-goldcardtool/)

if its error 90 (i tihhnk its 90) are you using windows 7 64? because that failed for me until i tried it on my xubuntu netbook and it just ran without a hitch.

Hi! all. i'm trying to root my Desire with 0.80 bootrom. after downloading the file on Paul's first post. i unzip the file but can't find the update.zip infact theres no zip file inside. please advice.

Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.

Copy the 'update.zip' file to your microSD. Do NOT rename it.

i read his instructions till point 3 which i've underlined & bold where it says copy 'update.zip' to microsd & do not rename & i'm stuck. any kind forumers please help me. i'm new to rooting. don't want to screw up my 2 days old desire.

how are you "stuck" you take the update.zip from the directory you extracted to (in step 2) and paste it into the root directory of your sd card.

Guest Liney_2000
when using the r6 what error message did you get? 41? if it is then use a gold card (remake it with this http://android.modaco.com/content/software...-goldcardtool/)

if its error 90 (i tihhnk its 90) are you using windows 7 64? because that failed for me until i tried it on my xubuntu netbook and it just ran without a hitch.

how are you "stuck" you take the update.zip from the directory you extracted to (in step 2) and paste it into the root directory of your sd card.

Hi & Thanks for reply.

Tried using Gold Card tool as suggested. I have 3 Gold Cards now!!

Anyhow, same errors unfortunately. including:

41 Model ID check fail

E: Can't Open cache/recovery/command

E: failed to verify whole-file signature

E: Signature verification failed - Installation failed

ETC!!

I have also tried 2 other similar methods available on web with Model ID error references and so on.

I also tried updating ROM from version 1.16 to 1.21 without luck. It has BL of 0.75

I don't know where to go now? This thing just won't let me update it!!

Guest itachi46
Hi & Thanks for reply.

Tried using Gold Card tool as suggested. I have 3 Gold Cards now!!

Anyhow, same errors unfortunately. including:

41 Model ID check fail

E: Can't Open cache/recovery/command

E: failed to verify whole-file signature

E: Signature verification failed - Installation failed

ETC!!

I have also tried 2 other similar methods available on web with Model ID error references and so on.

I also tried updating ROM from version 1.16 to 1.21 without luck. It has BL of 0.75

I don't know where to go now? This thing just won't let me update it!!

did you use the tool? because i followed a few guides which used a website to convert the cid and it turned out they produced a different number... did you happen to buy yours from telstra? (noticed you're a fellow aussie :)) if you did the 2gb they provided works as a gold card using the toold

Guest wolvie77

there is no such file after i download. the file name i download is a zip file call 'r6-desire-root-alt.zip' i unzip it but still can't find update.zip inside. can anyone point to me where i'm doing wrong?

Guest Liney_2000
did you use the tool? because i followed a few guides which used a website to convert the cid and it turned out they produced a different number... did you happen to buy yours from telstra? (noticed you're a fellow aussie :)) if you did the 2gb they provided works as a gold card using the toold

I took your advise and used the Telstra provided 2GB card.

It went well until the "familiar with some" DUU lock screen. I simply gave it a second go and this time "finally" it worked.

I would not have used the tool without your advise, especially on the small 2GB card.

I will now attempt the A2SD and that should be it.

Cheers and appreciate assistance

Guest itachi46
I took your advise and used the Telstra provided 2GB card.

It went well until the "familiar with some" DUU lock screen. I simply gave it a second go and this time "finally" it worked.

I would not have used the tool without your advise, especially on the small 2GB card.

I will now attempt the A2SD and that should be it.

Cheers and appreciate assistance

glad to hear it worked :D for a2sd use rom manager to format your sd saves you from using your computer to partition it (it wouldnt be a problem if u ran linux and gparted but with windows i trust rom manager more :))

@wolvie77 which did you download the <0.8 one or <0.75 one

Edited by itachi46

Guest wolvie77
glad to hear it worked :D for a2sd use rom manager to format your sd saves you from using your computer to partition it (it wouldnt be a problem if u ran linux and gparted but with windows i trust rom manager more :))

@wolvie77 which did you download the <0.8 one or <0.75 one

i downloaded the one for 0.8.

Guest Gregor A.

Hello and thanks for the rooting soft and manual.

I have already and successfully rooted my desire with r5.

Now I see we have here a r6 rooting files and manual.

Hmm, what is the difference for me?

Can I use the fake-flash also with r5?

Do I have to root again with r6?

I have searched for the answer already, but not found...

Guest itachi46
i downloaded the one for 0.8.

i downloaded that zip yesterday and update.zip is in there could u possibly show the contents of the r6 zip file?

Guest wolvie77
i downloaded that zip yesterday and update.zip is in there could u possibly show the contents of the r6 zip file?

K. will try re downloading to see if its inside. btw, after rooting, will the generic rom support Chinese input & display? Will i lose the HTC Sense UI? Any stable custom ROM for Froyo to recommend with the following features?

1) Full flash support

2) Chinese input & display

3) App2SD

4) HTC Sense UI

Link would be appreciated.

Guest cyb3rt
Hi there :)

I'm sorry I didn't care to read all 114 pages, but I get an error when running step1-windows.bat.

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

... FAILED (status read failed (Unknown error))

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)...

Here it hangs. Stuck at a shiny and pretty HTC logo, but I'm not sure that's why I tried to root?

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum, though I have been reading it for quite some time! Firstly, great job on all the work being done here! And secondly, I am having this exact problem when trying to root my Desire. I have tried two times already and this is what happened both times...

What can I do, or what might be causing this to happen, really keen to get my phone rooted but this is preventing me from doing that?

Guest jimbo19

I'm Confused

* Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

* Unzip the file you downloaded to a directory, then open a command prompt / terminal window at that directory.

* Copy the 'update.zip' file to your microSD. Do NOT rename it.

* Turn off your HTC Desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

* In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

* Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

* When a black screen appears with a red triangle, press and hold 'Volume Up' then tap 'Power'.

* Your device should now be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option, then select the option to 'Apply sdcard:update.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

I have a goldcard as phone is branded/unlocked - does update.zip go on my goldcard as well ?

Or is there a process between with the gold card ??

Thanks

Guest jimbo19

Ok tried putting update.zip on gold card I had created

I then get this

C:\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

I haven't continued because I am guessing it hasn't worked due to the FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

Am I doing something wrong ?

Edited by jimbo19

Guest jimbo19

Damn it :)

Tried again and got this

C:\r6-desire-root>step1-windows.bat

Desire Root Step 1

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking main version...

INFOstart image[hboot] unzipping for pre-update check...

INFOstart image[hboot] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,0

INFO[RUU]WP,hboot,100

INFOstart image[radio] unzipping for pre-update...

INFOstart image[radio] flushing...

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,0

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,6

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,14

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,19

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

Can anyone help :D

Guest Gregor A.
Hello and thanks for the rooting soft and manual.

I have already and successfully rooted my desire with r5.

Now I see we have here a r6 rooting files and manual.

Hmm, what is the difference for me?

Can I use the fake-flash also with r5?

Do I have to root again with r6?

I have searched for the answer already, but not found...

Ok I see now, the relevant STEP 1 is exactly the same...

Same checksums and scripts.

So I don't need too root again with r6...

Guest jimbo19
Ok, guys. I just finally mashed my feeble monkeybrain into shape over this one, so I thought I'd share.

For ANYONE still getting the "FAILED: (remove:90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)" error on windows, here's an updated batch file. It's attached below, just extract it into your r6-desire-root folder and try running it again.

For those interested, the problem is you need a wait - and I saw some people posting revised batch files with a 'sleep 15' in there earlier in the thread. Sleep is not a batch command, at least not anymore. The workaround is ping yourself for fifteen seconds before a retry - I'm not making this s*** up. But anyway, there you go.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot - I'm finally on a vanilla HTC rom with decent headphone volume (that's all I've been doing this for - thanks T-Mobile! I need to void the warrenty to listen to music, smart move), so thank you everyone involved, you've made my day. Cheers, guys.

Used the process above and now rooted :)

Think the original bat file needs updating on original post

Guest itachi46
K. will try re downloading to see if its inside. btw, after rooting, will the generic rom support Chinese input & display? Will i lose the HTC Sense UI? Any stable custom ROM for Froyo to recommend with the following features?

1) Full flash support

2) Chinese input & display

3) App2SD

4) HTC Sense UI

Link would be appreciated.

afaik the generic doenst have root you need to install another rom which does

1) only froyo 2.2 (or maybe someone hacked one into a 2.1 but its meant to be for 2.2)

2) no idea

3) the rom should say (the generic one doesnt)

4) the generic one does and roms will say if they have sense

have not tried any 2.2 yet as i reallly like the sense ui

im currently using r3.1 with a2sd+ :)