Apps2SD Miniguide

Guest Luqq

Guest theboxman

I'm getting a notification on startup about checking for errors on the SDcard...

Is that normal with a2sd installed?

might connect the card to linux and delete the partition table over here....

Guest theboxman

haha, I was being a wally and using the wrong file! :-)

Should have used the fresh install file!

All working now - massive list of programs installed 110MB remaining! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much all!

Guest kiokoman

All working now - massive list of programs installed 110MB remaining! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much all!

so all my alone consideration was for good ? :huh:

Guest ZiCoN

GOD DAMNIT!!.... &%(/¤% hm hmm....

What he said....

Guest afiorillo
[...]

11. Flash from zip -' r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-upgrade-signed.zip'

[...]

What am I doing wrongly?????

Here's why I urge people to READ CAREFULLY the tutorials: re-read step 6, you're not using the right file. ;-)

The '...upgrade...' A2SD package is only for those that have already A2SD installed from the 'original' Paul' package and want to add Dalvik-cache support to it. Giving your situation, you NEED the '...fresh...' package.

Guest afiorillo

OPS, you've already made it. :P

Guest Heppieboeddah

Noticed that the amount of internal memory was dropping down in spite of apps2sd is working as it should. It went down from about 121MB to 69MB without really installing some big applications. I know data is to be stored on the internal memory as well so i installed 2 applications. Move Cache for Root Users. This will move some cache-database to the sd-card. And, Cachecleaner This will clean youre cache. After running the two applications the internal memory went up to a 115MB again. Seems to me that running out of memory stays a problem and can only be solved by clearing the cache regular........

Will crosspost this i a new topic.

maybe this is of any help?

Edited by Heppieboeddah

Guest loolooaltern

Sorry, it was a mistake done when in a hurry...This message was for another topic and I don't know how to delete it

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I tried to root my Desire.

To do so, I downloaded the linux image provided in method R3 and extracted all the files on my computer(which is running ubuntu)

Then, I started to execute the commands in the step1 scripts one by one.

While executing 'sudo ./fastboot flash zip testimage.zip', I got the "FAILED (remote: 90 ..." error.

So, I did the command again and it worked fine this time.

Then, I copied the next command from step1.sh without noticing that it was exactly the same (sudo ./fastboot flash zip testimage.zip) and it did the error again. So, I rerun it for the 4th time and it worked fine again. To sum up, it worked the 2nd and the 4th pass but did the error the 1st and the 3rd pass...

Then, I tried to begin step2.sh but at the second command (sudo ./adb shell busybox --install /sbin), I got a permission error...so after some searches on this topic and google, I thought step1 has not completed correctly and the RUU was not flashed

Then, I rebooted the phone It took around 10 minutes to shut on again and it was like the first time I put it on. All the apps&settings have disappeared and I had to redo the "settings tutorial"...

Now, my questions are:

Is it safe to retry everything from the beginning of step 1? (I would say, why not?)

Why the command 'sudo ./fastboot flash zip testimage.zip' in step 1 is issued two times? Is it a kind of double-check or is it that it has to be done 4 times? And what about doing it 4 times like it was my case yesterday?

Thanks in advance for any answer and thanks again to Paul for his really great job!

Edited by loolooaltern

Guest afiorillo
Noticed that the amount of internal memory was dropping down in spite of apps2sd is working as it should. It went down from about 121MB to 69MB without really installing some big applications. I know data is to be stored on the internal memory as well so i installed 2 applications. Move Cache for Root Users. This will move some cache-database to the sd-card. And, Cachecleaner This will clean youre cache. After running the two applications the internal memory went up to a 115MB again. Seems to me that running out of memory stays a problem and can only be solved by clearing the cache regular........ [...]

Wait a moment... The last quoted sentence in your post conflicts with the rest of it. Have you installed "Move Cache for Root Users'? Will this app solve the problem? If yes, why do you say that the only solution is to clear the cache?

Edited by afiorillo

Guest Nidorftirahn

Is a SWAP partition required in order for A2SD to work or is it recommended to use a swap partition?

I left mine at 0mb cause i couldn´t see why to use swap.

Guest Nidorftirahn
Swap not required, and usually not even advised.

K. Thx then i made everything right this time :P

As i mentioned before big apps seem to be moved to sd very well but small apps (below 1mb) seem to go directly to internal memory.

Do i just imagine that or has anyone else made this experience?

Guest kerosin

I've just flashed prebaked MCR r1 with addons ... went ok

But after flashing A2SD (r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-upgrade-signed.zip) my WiFi doesn't work - It just says Unable to start Wi-Fi

Have anybody expirienced this?

Thanks

Guest kerosin
I've just flashed prebaked MCR r1 with addons ... went ok

But after flashing A2SD (r1-a2sd-desire-dalvik-upgrade-signed.zip) my WiFi doesn't work - It just says Unable to start Wi-Fi

I've already got reply from Paul:

You have a mismatched kernel and modules by flashing that zip.

P

Is there any way around it? Maybe other version of A2SD package compatible with MCRr1 ?

Thanks guys

Guest msdl28712

just wanna clarify have a unrooted desire nothing else installed are we sauing its safe now to install Apps2SD and that the loop and not being able to see the phone have been sorted and its ok to install Apps2SD

Guest nilezon
I've already got reply from Paul:

Is there any way around it? Maybe other version of A2SD package compatible with MCRr1 ?

Thanks guys

I'm not 100% sure, but you could probably manually install the initd scripts from the dalvik a2sd.

Edited by nilezon

Guest PaulW21781
I'm not 100% sure, but you could probably manually install the initd scripts from the dalvik a2sd.

Agreed

Without seeing the other kernel, I'd hazard a guess the only way would be to modify the MCR r1 ROM to contain the newer /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd script from the dalvik cache model.

The 2 A2SD script I modified, image included within was based on Paul's original rooting method, so as they are based (and include) the kernel from those, I guess working with others would be hit&miss if they are based/hacked on something else.

Guest DesireUK
I've done some looking...

Inside of /data, there is another folder...

/data/data

Inside /data/data is all the application datafiles for running... Hence the phone space still going down??

Is it possible to move and symlink /data/data to /system/sd/data ???

This is the only possible solution I can see to the reduction of phone space still...

http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/A2SD

It mentions moving /data/data in there as an optional... but then inside 40a2sd, it says

# don't allow /data/data on sd because of upgrade issues - move it if possible

???

**EDIT**

I've since created a modified update zip for a2sd, and moved over the dalvik-cache folders... Free'd up 14MB of space so not too bad (went from 111MB free to 125MB free) :P Just unsure now if I want to move over /data/data...

If you want the DALVIK-cache enabled ones, there are 2 files:

If you have NOT already installed the A2SD release which Paul posted, use this one

http://paulw.hardmilk.com/downloads/r1-a2s...resh-signed.zip

If you HAVE already installed the A2SD release which Paul posted, and wish to add the DALVIK-CACHE feature, use this one

http://paulw.hardmilk.com/downloads/r1-a2s...rade-signed.zip

Just flash this using the Recovery Console as you did for the main Rooting mod.

Also, if you flash the wrong one, or since flashing A2SD you are getting a bootlooping on the Quietly Brilliant screen, installing the UPGRADE Package may resolve this, as I found that if the file within /system/etc/init.d are not copied and set correctly, they *WILL* cause this bootloop. UPGRADE package fixes this if you encounter the

E:Can't symlink /system/xbin/[

E:Failure at line 5:

symlink busybox SYSTEM:xbin/[

Installation aborted.

Problem from previous installs :D

Works fantastic... i had 69mb internal memory... i flashed with the a2sd update above and now i have 135mb internal free...

thanks for this...

Guest PaulW21781
How to add add2sd on the latest deodex Modaco rom?

I'll have a go at making a modified patch for other ROMS... Just need to see how A2SD is implemented in those, see if its tuned per ROM or just a generic setup which can easily be tweaked!

Guest gizzy98
I'll have a go at making a modified patch for other ROMS... Just need to see how A2SD is implemented in those, see if its tuned per ROM or just a generic setup which can easily be tweaked!

Ive got the same problem, with the updated A2SD no wifi, going to have to leave the Dalvik cache update until there is a fix I think :/

Guest _Dejan_
Ive got the same problem, with the updated A2SD no wifi, going to have to leave the Dalvik cache update until there is a fix I think :/

For me wifi work normal after A2SD with Dalvik cache

Guest NRGizzer

After applying apps2sd, my phone is stuck on the HTC screen :P. quite brilliant don´t come at my phone, it´s stuck before that.

i have applied paul root for 0.8 image. All works fine after that.

But after apps2s Installation, my phone is stuck on the HTC screen. I have already installed the upgrade package.

What can i do do get back access to my desire :D ?

Greetings,

Michael

EDIT: Ok, installing rootupdate again and now my phone is working. But what have i dome wrong installing apps2sd ? There are so many different ways described in this forum, what solution is the best ?

Edited by NRGizzer

Guest PaulW21781

the Apps2sd in here is based on the 0.75 bootloader, so I'd imagine that way it is not compatible with the 0.8 loader.