Issues with USB connectivity etc. and root / A2SD

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ZiCoN

Seeing the kernel source is out, and Paul already stated on his twitter profile this will be his job next week, we can only hope while looking at this, he suddenly says; oooh.. THATS why :)

Guest NOFX
Seeing the kernel source is out, and Paul already stated on his twitter profile this will be his job next week, we can only hope while looking at this, he suddenly says; oooh.. THATS why :)

... so what you're saying is that we should hold our horses a week or so, because Paul might be on the verge of making a lot of people very happy?

Guest NOFX

Anyone else has the problem that the 'Market' app suddenly disappears - especially after a reboot? It comes back again if I wipe my device from the Bootloader menu - but that's also just really annoying - a fix for this please?

Guest jeckyllhavok
... so what you're saying is that we should hold our horses a week or so, because Paul might be on the verge of making a lot of people very happy?

I talked to SGTDavePwnage and he told that the kernel won't be enough cause the bootloader causes the problems, the other problem is how should we flash a new kernel without recovery?

Guest ZiCoN

I was thinking that... But I'm not sure what to do. I'm gonna call the store and ask what their standatd procedure is.. If they're gonna send it for testing I'll hang on to it a bit longer... saying I have to get a hold of another phone with exchange sync etc etc.. I just hope there could be a hidden command for the usb, bluetooth and fm, like the enableqxdm for the sd card

Guest NOFX

So in other words - we're proper screwed on this one? I know nothing about the programming part, but do you guys still have leads to follow, and things to test in this respect?

Guest jeckyllhavok
So in other words - we're proper screwed on this one? I know nothing about the programming part, but do you guys still have leads to follow, and things to test in this respect?

I will follow until death ;-)

Guest NOFX
I was thinking that... But I'm not sure what to do. I'm gonna call the store and ask what their standatd procedure is.. If they're gonna send it for testing I'll hang on to it a bit longer... saying I have to get a hold of another phone with exchange sync etc etc.. I just hope there could be a hidden command for the usb, bluetooth and fm, like the enableqxdm for the sd card

Ok - please let us know what the store says. I still have to overcome some bugs that won't let me flash Generic ROM. But when I get there, hopefully I'll get it repaired. This is sooo annoying - especially now that my Market crashes all the time, requiring wipe.

Guest ZiCoN
Ok - please let us know what the store says. I still have to overcome some bugs that won't let me flash Generic ROM. But when I get there, hopefully I'll get it repaired. This is sooo annoying - especially now that my Market crashes all the time, requiring wipe.

I did it in fastboot, connect usb cable and ran the unroot-RUU-desire-1.15.405.4.exe

It worked for me at least... btw.. do I need to do anything with the standard sd card to format it properly after goldcard? anyone knows?

Guest jeckyllhavok
Excellent - let us know what we can do to help :)

Find someone capable of building a security unlocked SPL ;)

Guest jeckyllhavok
I did it in fastboot, connect usb cable and ran the unroot-RUU-desire-1.15.405.4.exe

It worked for me at least... btw.. do I need to do anything with the standard sd card to format it properly after goldcard? anyone knows?

I think if you format them they should be fine. Have a look in it with a Hex editor before and after, you should see this on the first 170 blocks

Guest ZiCoN

Theire gonna send it to repair :S I'll hold on to it a bit longer then... See what happens..

Here's to hoping !!

Guest PaulW21781

I've removed the 2 modified A2SD signed updates from my server as I've noticed (reading through here) that it appears to be an issue from what I can see when some people flash that.

As it was based on the original r1 rooting method with 0.75 bootloader and 1.15 ROM, I have a feeling that flashing this on a rooted 0.80/1.21 phone will brick it as mentioned...

I'll re-create an update though to enable dalvik & swap on future releases in a method which hopefully won't touch bootloaders or anything else other than the a2sd scripts.

As far as I'm aware, there is no mirrors for the 2 updates I posted (if you find any please ask for the file to be removed or notify me), but I guess this is also a reason why Paul took down the original A2SD patch.

Ho hum!

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest PaulW21781

Not sure... unless someone finds a way to write to a block device from within the rooted os directly...

There are 2 boot blocks which reside on the desire, mtd1 and mtd2. mtd2 is the stock kernel used for booting the phone normally, mtd1 is the one used for the recovery mode. So I'm guessing the issue will rely on that one.

If I had a spare desire, I'd have a go at trying to write the original recovery kernel & such to mtd1 if I could...

They are located at /dev/mtd/mtd1 /dev/mtd/mtd2 respectively...

/dev/mtd/mtd3,4,5 from what I can tell are the /system /cache and /data partitions respectively.

I have dumped the /dev/mtd/mtd1 and mtd2 blocks and checked both, they contain the kernel and ramdisk. You have to unpack the dumped files to see the contents. You can also unpack the boot.img from any other ROM easily enough to the respected kernel and ramdisk image.

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest eViL D:

Can somebody with USBDeview tell me what they are getting when they plug in their phone? While in fastboot & HBoot, I get HTC Android Phone USB Device. When I try to switch to recovery, I get USB Composite Device. If I reboot from there, I get that when booting.

Actually, somebody with a working one would help. I would like to know if it's supposed to be USB Composite Device.

Guest PaulW21781
Can somebody with USBDeview tell me what they are getting when they plug in their phone? While in fastboot & HBoot, I get HTC Android Phone USB Device. When I try to switch to recovery, I get USB Composite Device. If I reboot from there, I get that when booting.

Actually, somebody with a working one would help. I would like to know if it's supposed to be USB Composite Device.

I'll let you know what I get in a bit (but will be from Linux) as I'm just cooking tea

*edit*

With phone running, USB Debugging mode turned on. Also same from Bootloader (before recovery mode)

scsi 22:0:0:0: Direct-Access HTC Android Phone 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

When in Recovery mode (before using pushfiles)

scsi 23:0:0:0: Direct-Access HTC Android Phone 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

Also, worth to note: When going into Recovery mode and Bootloader mode, it also does:

sd 23:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

It looks to me that your recovery kernel (mtdp1) is corrupt somehow, or there was a miss-match updating. Again I reckon related to 0.75/0.80 - 1.15/1.21 versions being mixed up.

*edit*

And I just spilt some freshly made lasagne sauce on my Desire now :)

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest eViL D:
I'll let you know what I get in a bit (but will be from Linux) as I'm just cooking tea

*edit*

With phone running, USB Debugging mode turned on. Also same from Bootloader (before recovery mode)

scsi 22:0:0:0: Direct-Access HTC Android Phone 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

When in Recovery mode (before using pushfiles)

scsi 23:0:0:0: Direct-Access HTC Android Phone 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2

Also, worth to note: When going into Recovery mode and Bootloader mode, it also does:

sd 23:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

It looks to me that your recovery kernel (mtdp1) is corrupt somehow, or there was a miss-match updating. Again I reckon related to 0.75/0.80 - 1.15/1.21 versions being mixed up.

*edit*

And I just spilt some freshly made lasagne sauce on my Desire now :)

Thanks. And, hope your phone is ok.