Issues with USB connectivity etc. and root / A2SD

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Biliskner
my 2cents for the issue:

Here in Russia we have unbranded generic Desires certified by Russian authorities, so called white shipment - it has special labels ans stamps in Russian language behind the battery. So far no bricks as for our main russian android forum... Only one guy had bricked the phone but he bought it in Clove so it's grey shipment

Hmm interesting. All bricked desires come out of UK? (obviously there are others out of UK flashing fine without bricking).

Mine was first batch out of Handtec. Wonder if any Aussies have bricked theirs with a Telstra branded phone..

Guest MarvinFS
Have you experienced this? How many times? What exactly did you noticed?

let's see... about 5 to 10 times...

what i saw:

some times, after running recovery-windows.cmd from rootkit r5

the green recovery console flashes or even - how to say that eeeghhh flickering\wobbling?!

so i put out the battery and trying once more

some times after pushing recovery it just closes and returns to grey screen with red exclamation mark so again i put out the battery and trying again.

if i see that all is stable for some time (10-20 secs) i start to flash.

one more thing, during normal usage, when the cable is connected to my PC i have the "choose connection type" window appears many times even when i dont touch the cable.

Guest potter97
let's see... about 5 to 10 times...

what i saw:

some times, after running recovery-windows.cmd from rootkit r5

the green recovery console flashes or even - how to say that eeeghhh flickering\wobbling?!

so i put out the battery and trying once more

some times after pushing recovery it just closes and returns to grey screen with red exclamation mark so again i put out the battery and trying again.

if i see that all is stable for some time (10-20 secs) i start to flash.

one more thing, during normal usage, when the cable is connected to my PC i have the "choose connection type" window appears many times even when i dont touch the cable.

I also have noticed this, when flashing the boot aninmations i made, After pushing the recovery in ubuntu, it would somethings go back to the red triangle, i noticed it would go off within 5 seconds, if it has not gone off in 5 seconds it would be fine.

Also i just re-pushed the recovery.sh never botherd taking the battery out, I have had this happen like 15 times whilst flashing about 20-30 times. Not ROMS just the bootanimations i made.

After i booted up a fefw times i had some errors relating to various google.com things (did not read it before i clicked force close), but three boots later everything was back to normal...

I'm just hopeing that having rooted has not left the phone with any bad overwritten sectors.

Guest SonicArt77
Hmm interesting. All bricked desires come out of UK? (obviously there are others out of UK flashing fine without bricking).

Mine was first batch out of Handtec. Wonder if any Aussies have bricked theirs with a Telstra branded phone..

I got mine in Taiwan and it's usbrickedrolled

lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05c6:9002 Qualcomm, Inc.

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 05c6 -p 9002

Looking for default devices ...

Found default devices (1)

Accessing device 004 on bus 001 ...

Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)

Not a storage device, skipping SCSI inquiry

Error: could not get description string "manufacturer"

Error: could not get description string "product"

USB description data (for identification)

-------------------------

Manufacturer:

Product:

Serial No.: not provided

Warning: no switching method given.

-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye.

and that's in fastboot mode

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bb4:0fff High Tech Computer Corp.

*edit*

Browsing the USB_Mode forums I found this:

lsusb

- Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

- Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1e0e:cefe

- Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 1e0e -p cefe

Could someone try this replacing the vendor and subclass with the ones for the bricked phone?

Edited by r&a

Guest Normola
lsusb

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 05c6 -p 9002

Looking for default devices ...

Found default devices (1)

Accessing device 004 on bus 001 ...

Using endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)

Not a storage device, skipping SCSI inquiry

Error: could not get description string "manufacturer"

Error: could not get description string "product"

USB description data (for identification)

Manufacturer:

Product:

Serial No.: not provided

Warning: no switching method given.

-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye.

Thanks.

Is it possible for you to try the following?

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS(idVendor)=="05c6", MODE="0666"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

You'll need to reboot, then check to see if there are any differences with adb detecting the device.

Edited by Normola

Guest potter97
Thanks.

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS(idVendor)=="05c6", MODE="0666"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

You'll need to reboot, then check to see if there are any differences with adb detecting the device.

Glad to see seom people are still cracking on with this..

Im not USB bricked personally, but it could still happen.

Anyway i wish all bricked people the very best of luck, and if i can help then just pm me ...

Guest adi90
Thanks.

no differences ...

Guest Shawe
lsusb

lsusb

- Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

- Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1e0e:cefe

- Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

sudo usb_modeswitch -v 1e0e -p cefe
With a non bricked device appear this:
Bus 002 Device 074: ID 0bb4:0c87 High Tech Computer Corp.

This is part of the problem of usb brick?

Guest adi90
With a non bricked device appear this:

Bus 002 Device 074: ID 0bb4:0c87 High Tech Computer Corp.

This is part of the problem of usb brick?

with a bricked desire i have

Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0bb4:0fff High Tech Computer Corp. when in bootloader mode

and I have

Bus 005 Device 008: ID 05c6:9002 Qualcomm, Inc. when phone is on !

Edited by adi90

Guest Shawe
with a bricked desire i have Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0bb4:0fff High Tech Computer Corp.

And why to somebody appears this?

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1e0e:cefe

Guest Normola

The Qualcomm device appearing at all is the issue as far as I can tell.

Could someone try the following:

sudo usb_modeswitch -I -W -D -R -v 05c6 -p 9002

Guest Normola

This might be worth a try as well (Pick the one most appropriate):

*****Ubuntu 9.10+ *****

sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"' > /lib/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="05c6", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"' > /lib/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}==""9002", SYMLINK+="android_adb"' > /lib/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

suco echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", SYMLINK+="android_fastboot"' > /lib/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0c02", SYMLINK+="android_adb" ' > /lib/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

***** Ubuntu 9.04 *****

sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"' >  /etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules 

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="05c6", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules 

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}==""9002", SYMLINK+="android_adb"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules 

suco echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", SYMLINK+="android_fastboot"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules 

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb|usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0c02", SYMLINK+="android_adb" ' > /etc/udev/rules.d/11-android.rules

Don't add the headers with * in them. Probably best to copy and paste rather than manually add them.

Reboot of your machine is required after these changes.

Important note - I forgot to mention earlier, this will not work on a live CD. It must be a harddrive install or a persistent USB install of Ubuntu/Linux!

Edited by Normola

Guest adi90
The Qualcomm device appearing at all is the issue as far as I can tell.

Could someone try the following:

sudo usb_modeswitch -I -W -D -R -v 05c6 -p 9002

seems not working !

Guest adi90
seems not working !

acually my desire is recognize as Qualcom when started then I type your command and it disappear from lsusb

Guest Normola
acually my desire is recognize as Qualcom when started then I type your command and it disappear from lsusb

Try unplugging then reattaching it.

nothing when unplugging but if i reboot the phone then i see it in lsusb still as a qualcomm

This "Qualcomm" device returned seems to me like the phones (or atleast the USB) is in some for of diagnostic mode for the processor. Maybe it's some sort of JTAG or similar. Therefore the usb port is allowing only access to the Qualcomm processor (SoC?) for testing/diagnostic/debug or something similar.

If this is the case, it would seem there must be a way to force the usb port out of this diagnostic mode so that the port is routed back to the device correctly. As for how that is done, who knows, access to the Qualcomm information for the Snapdragon may help, or if someone has experience in this field.

My experience in embedded devices goes only as far as FPGAs (SOPCs) and so I can't help much with such ASIC or SoCs. But it makes sense to me that it would have been switched to a particular mode specifically for diagnostics of the Qualcomm technologies since there are no other easily accessible ports for JTAG or similar.

I do have experience with the ARM architecture up to ARM11 although I doubt this will be of much use.

I don't know if it would be possible for me to get in touch with Qualcomm or HTC as a "Student of Embedded Computer Systems" and try to find out whether there is such a debug mode switch or similar actually exists and how I might be able to switch it.

Guest jamlam

POssibly a little off-topic, but might help out in some way. I searched around for any other results for Qualcomm USB chipsets and debug modes and found the following posted. This was from a guy who was using Qulacomm USB drivers (rather than the ones that came with his Samsung phone) to push files over. Maybe there's a similar code we could enter on the bricked devices to sort it out?

BTW, I've tried the code given for the Samsung phone on my Desire and it didn't work, obviously :rolleyes:

Scratch that. I FINALLY found an answer on the web so anyone having issues like mine, try this:
1, Change the USB mode on the phone.
On the Propel, dial *#0523# (this gets you into some debug screen)
(WARNING!!! I'm betting you can mess up the phone pretty bad by
messing with these settings so proceed at your own risk)
keep pushing # until you get to a menu that looks like this:
[1] Debug Screen
[2] Version Information
[3] RF Test
[4] UMTS rf nv
[5] Read gsm rf nv
[6] Write gsm rf nv
[7] Band Base
[8] Audio
Now start pushing the down arrow( you will see the options change each time) until the menu looks like this:
[1] Batt.Temp
[2] FTM NV read
[3] FTM NV set
[4] FTM NV unset
[5] Version Info
[6] USB Configuration
[7] DIAG Configuration
[8] Power on info Push 6 for USB Configuration.
You will see: [1] Samsung USB [] [2] Qualcomm USB [*] [3] PictBridge USB []
After using the Qualcomm drivers, I didn't know that I had to switch back to Samsung USB.
So...just hit the number 1 and then Confirm. That should fix it.
[/codebox]

Edited by jamlam

Guest Normola

I don't think there are any USB altering codes for the desire :rolleyes: (that I know of)

Something else to try here:

sudo nano /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/05c6\:9002
Paste the following into the nano text editor
########################################################

# Qualcomm device?

DefaultVendor= 0x05c6

DefaultProduct=0x9002

TargetVendor=  0x0bb4

TargetProduct= 0x0c87

CheckSuccess=20

MessageContent="5553424360293389fc00000080000a2300000000000000fc00000000000000"
press CTRL+X, then Y then return to save the file. then run
sudo usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/05c6\:9002

The MessageContent was sniffed in windows using SniffUSB 2.0.

It's for the switch to the standard HTC composite USB device though, so it might not work, and somebody with a bricked device might need to sniff their phone instead.

Edited by Normola

POssibly a little off-topic, but might help out in some way. I searched around for any other results for Qualcomm USB chipsets and debug modes and found the following posted. This was from a guy who was using Qulacomm USB drivers (rather than the ones that came with his Samsung phone) to push files over. Maybe there's a similar code we could enter on the bricked devices to sort it out?

BTW, I've tried the code given for the Samsung phone on my Desire and it didn't work, obviously :rolleyes:

Scratch that. I FINALLY found an answer on the web so anyone having issues like mine, try this:
1, Change the USB mode on the phone.
On the Propel, dial *#0523# (this gets you into some debug screen)
(WARNING!!! I'm betting you can mess up the phone pretty bad by
messing with these settings so proceed at your own risk)
keep pushing # until you get to a menu that looks like this:
[1] Debug Screen
[2] Version Information
[3] RF Test
[4] UMTS rf nv
[5] Read gsm rf nv
[6] Write gsm rf nv
[7] Band Base
[8] Audio
Now start pushing the down arrow( you will see the options change each time) until the menu looks like this:
[1] Batt.Temp
[2] FTM NV read
[3] FTM NV set
[4] FTM NV unset
[5] Version Info
[6] USB Configuration
[7] DIAG Configuration
[8] Power on info Push 6 for USB Configuration.
You will see: [1] Samsung USB [] [2] Qualcomm USB [*] [3] PictBridge USB []
After using the Qualcomm drivers, I didn't know that I had to switch back to Samsung USB.
So...just hit the number 1 and then Confirm. That should fix it.
[/codebox]

Accessing test mode on the Desire is done using *#*#4636#*#*

I noticed some people mentioning that they couldnt access the SDCARD because it was writing logs to it in recovery. I noticed in the first menu for this "test mode" there is a "Enable QXDM SD log" i'm pretty sure that if it's enabled on theirs, turning it off would fix this one problem at least. There is also an option in there to turn the radio on/off.