Want to know how to keep your SPV screen scratch free??

Guest zontrex

Guest h00pyfr00d

you tried 'a few' times??

So've you got a bunch of SPV's in the corner of your room with funny nail polish job's on 'em then? Or have you found a way to remove it if you fowl up?

Seems like a good idea.

What a shame they don't have express-on covers. Would make life so simple.

Guest ricmoo2003

This stuff is excellant, i got it from this german website allthough i can't find the link at the moment, do a search for DISPLEX and you should find the stuff it cost me 7 quid, and a little elbow grease. I had a mass of deep key scratches on the phone and about 20 minutes of furious rubbing with this stuff i had a perfect screen, it's actually smoother than new.

Displex.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jedi-masta

No when i meant I'd tried it a few times, it means that I had to remove it and re apply to ensure that i got a smooth finish!!!

nyway it's on there now and gotta say it's real nice. I had it in my pocket with keys and change, found a few scratches on there, but then after a couple of days they'd seem to disappear. £7!!!! AND 20minutes of elbow greese!!!! Whats that all about man. Forget that *******.

I really think that someone else should actually try the nail polish milarki. YES, I know it sounds 'a poof idea', but it does work.

Guest EMGenius

Jedi-masta,

any chance of posting a pic, b4 i get seen asking ffor nail polish i want to check that it is gonna work!

and what do you mean the disappeared???? magic nail polish??!!!!

Guest gradiation

Dunno exactly what the DUPLEX stuff is, but the only way i can see if gettin rid of scratches, if it's meant to be a kind of reaaly fine sandpaper like polish, therefor digin deaper into the screen to a level where the scratch didn't reach.

Would i be right in thinkin this? and wouldn't that only be a limited option ;)

Guest jedi-masta

Folks,

As requested here's some piccy's of my nail varnished SPV screen. As you can see there is a slight ripple which is only really visible at and angle. Apart from that there are no visual problems. When I said that they dissappear i meant the scratches not the varnish. I think the screen just gets slightly rubbed through everyday use being in my pocket etc...

Trust me people, this is the best thing i feel i ever did to stop scrathes on the real screen.

Image001.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image004.jpg

Guest h00pyfr00d

Looks great...might be worth a go.

What did you use to brush it on, just the standard Nail Polish brush or did you go to a model shop and get a nice Sable one?

Guest jedi-masta

Nah just used the normal one. you could try witha nice Sable one but bear in mind that you'd have to wash the brush straight away, just incase you don't get the finish you want the first time. Got mine perfect on the 3rd attempt.

Guest jedi-masta

tis nice eh. thought it was really funny meself. i'll soon get bored of it though. Watch this space for more.....

any one tryin the infamous jedi-masta nail varnish idea...........please let me know how you got on.

Guest ricmoo2003

The Displex polish is like a fine paper, but in a paste form. As i said it was hard work to polish out the scratches but i had a huge nuber of scratches and one really deep gouge on my screen, caused by keys in the pocket, but this stuff removed them all. I am not covinced buy the nail polish idea, I have known nail polish to melt things!

Anyway good luck with whatever method you use, all i'm saying is Displex rocks......

Richard

Guest jedi-masta

I did investigate into this.....about nail polish melting plastics and stuff. BUT, it doesn't it's the nail varnish remover that would melt it cuz of the alcohol or summat. remeber someone tellin me but forgot what it exactly was. Plus the NP remover would only affect the plastic if it was left on too long. Quick wipes don't really affect it. Like peeps wanted I posted pics of my screen and the varnish has been on there for over a month now without any probs

Guest neilfenstein

When you say that you have had no problems. Has the varnish scratched at all? or is it much stronger than the original screen. Also does it muck up the paint on the surrounding of the SPV? and if you have got the varnish right on the third attempt what did you use to remove attempts one and two if NP remover melts plastic?

Thanks!!

Guest jedi-masta

Yes the varnish has slight scratches on there but after about a week or so they seems to disappear. So in that sense yes it seems to be stronger or shall i say more scratch resistant than the screen. I did my screen on a day my hands weren't so shakey (they have unprescribed drugs for situations like this also) so I seemed to get my edges just right, i.e. varnish goes right to the edge blending in, thus not gettin any on the surrounding.

To remove it I just used NP remover. Did this my holding the phone sideways and then rubbing it off. Dab some NPR on a bit of cotton wool and then rub away. Then, someone told me that prolonged use will melt the plastic because NPR contains acetone. Note the word Prolonged use, as in too often or soaking the phone. If you still want to be on the safe side then acetone free NPR is also available, i didn't bother though cuz i thought that once i got the NP right, just the way I want it then i wouldn't really be removing it.

Guest siu99spj
Bubble wrap, that protects the whole phone nicely ;)

And when your bored you can pop it :)

I really should stop reading this at work. My giggles are making my boss increasingly worried :oops:. Darn (Remember, a non-swearing forum) for sitting in an open-plan office, right next to my boss!

:mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
Guest spootyguy

Never put anything important in the pocket of a pair of brand new Levis.

I put my crappy old Nokia in a new pair I bought yesterday and the pumice or gritty stuff left in the pockets covered it in loads of scratches... Luckily it was already in pretty poor condition, and, even luckier, my SPV came today..!

You guys rock, by the way, I've learned a lot lurking here recently.. :lol:

Guest ajpena

is there a way you can replace the screen? I mean, mine got scratched and it's preety new. is there anything you can apply that would at least lessen or hide it?

I hate it!

Guest vijay555

read earlier in the topic. you can get a tube of scratch remover that requires a lot of rubbing but will eventualyl clean up the plastic. Same stuff they use on watch faces to polish em up.

V

Guest nickcornaglia

I just tried the nailpolish idea and it didn't work...the bright pink makes it difficult to read the screen and alot of it dripped right onto my toenails and not a drop of acetone in site! :oops:

Guest lisann
Yes the varnish has slight scratches on there but after about a week or so they seems to disappear.  So in that sense yes it seems to be stronger or shall i say more scratch resistant than the screen.  I did my screen on a day my hands weren't so shakey (they have unprescribed drugs for situations like this also) so I seemed to get my edges just right, i.e. varnish goes right to the edge blending in, thus not gettin any on the surrounding.  

To remove it I just used NP remover.  Did this my holding the phone sideways and then rubbing it off.  Dab some NPR on a bit of cotton wool and then rub away.  Then, someone told me that prolonged use will melt the plastic because NPR contains acetone.  Note the word Prolonged use, as in too often or soaking the phone.  If you still want to be on the safe side then acetone free NPR is also available, i didn't bother though cuz i thought that once i got the NP right, just the way I want it then i wouldn't really be removing it.

Just ensure you use clear nail varnish :twisted: addtionally wrap the damn thing up in cotton wool!

Guest lisann
I just tried the nailpolish idea and it didn't work...the bright pink makes it difficult to read the screen and alot of it dripped right onto my toenails and not a drop of acetone in site! :oops:

The black I used made it even more difficult to see :roll:

• 2 months later...