27/May r3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.1 / Eclair)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pyr0x64

I finally managed to root my desire, i want to install one of the pre-baked MCR R2 Roms, was wondering whether the battery mod in this post would work:

what would be the best way to install it?

don't do it...

it has been posted a few times already - the circular battery will not work on an r2 mcr rom because it is odexed

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest jfran

I finally managed to root my desire, i want to install one of the pre-baked MCR R2 Roms, was wondering whether the battery mod in this post would work:

Also would like to ask about the installation about MCR, what do you mean when you say to "Perform a Nandroid Backup first"

When in the recovery menu, select backup/restore and there are options for Nand Backup, Restore etc, by selecting the Nand Backup should at any point you want to revert to a previous ROM configuration, just boot into recovery and perform a restore

Guest afiorillo
Well I even tried under XP (booted up on a Mac (not vmware)) and still had the same issue.

Have you found any workarounds or our we just out of luck?

You're off topic, here, with rooting. However, do the whole thing under Linux and you'll be safe.

Guest Rich Cranney

Paul,

Wondered if you could help or answer a question. I'm using a baked rom on the r3 release and the only way to get this working was by formatting my memory card and re-partitioning it. I've recreated this problem three times now, If I wipe my device, flash the rom, clear all the caches etc and bootup, I get stuck on the HTC Quietly screen, looping. If I go back into recovery and repartition the sd card, then convert to ext3, turn back on, the device works fine.

Is this a known issue? Not sure as I couldn't see it in any previous posts.

Thanks

Guest afiorillo
Paul,

Wondered if you could help or answer a question. I'm using a baked rom on the r3 release and the only way to get this working was by formatting my memory card and re-partitioning it. I've recreated this problem three times now, If I wipe my device, flash the rom, clear all the caches etc and bootup, I get stuck on the HTC Quietly screen, looping. If I go back into recovery and repartition the sd card, then convert to ext3, turn back on, the device works fine.

Thanks

It happened the same to me, twice. I readed somewhere there's a glitch in the recovery's "Wipe Dalvik-cache" feature, but I cannot say that was the case.

Guest jdouce

yup there is .... mount usb in recovery mode ... and empty ur dalvik folder

ull need linux or an ext-mod for windows

delete EVERYTHING from /sd/dalvik-cache

reboot

all is good

Edited by jdouce

Guest scotch whisky

what would be the best way to install it?

Also would like to ask about the installation about MCR, what do you mean when you say to "Perform a Nandroid Backup first"

Only works with r1 and r3. However if you don't know what a "Nandroid Backup" is I would strongly advise against installing any custom ROMs.

Sorry to be blunt but you need to do a lot more reading first. Just type "Nandroid backup" into any search engine if you really want to know.

It might appear that I am being unhelpful but even some of the experts on here have managed to "semi-brick" their devices. You should be very very carefull before proceeding.

Rooting a Desire is relatively risk free. Flashing a custom ROM is not as quite a few people on here have found to their cost. People are working on recovery methods for "bricked" phones but at the moment the only option is to have the phone replaced.

Just look at the forum "Issues with USB connectivity etc. and root / A2SD" if you want to see what could happen.

Edited by scotch whisky

Guest squrl
Having a little trouble here and was wondering if anyone can help??? Have the Telstra model A8183 w/bootloader .75, created Gold Card, put the phone on FASTBOOT screen and then execute the "step1-windows.bat command and get the following results. Appears to be working, but then gets a 'FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)'. I have no idea what that means, but apparently nothing is happening.

I'd say your Gold card isn't working...

Guest FrancisFuku
Paul,

Thanks

I had the same issue when I tried to install Darktremor A2SD (the one which also moves the dalvik-cache to the SD Card). Even when I wiped my device, and restored to a previous ROM which is perfectly fine, it kept rebooting after the "Quietly brillant" screen. Have you baked your ROM with A2SD+ ? This may be the problem.

Guest EddyOS

Morning all,

I'm still having issues flashing the radio as part of my MCR custom ROM. It gets to the point of reading the radio from the ZIP but doesn't do anything and it still shows the stock radio...anyone know why this is? Or should I just flash it seperately?

Guest Rich Cranney
I had the same issue when I tried to install Darktremor A2SD (the one which also moves the dalvik-cache to the SD Card). Even when I wiped my device, and restored to a previous ROM which is perfectly fine, it kept rebooting after the "Quietly brillant" screen. Have you baked your ROM with A2SD+ ? This may be the problem.

Yeah, I did it with A2SD+, do you think I should do it with just A2SD?

I also partitioned the card to Ext3 and no Swap, but just realised the A2SD isn't working anyway, so will have to resolve that when I get in from work.

Guest ascito

A little bit OT...maybe...

Can someone explane me why, even if I had a rooted device with MCR, I still have only two language in my ROM (English and Franch) and I have to use MoreLocale2?

Guest afiorillo
A little bit OT...maybe...

Can someone explane me why, even if I had a rooted device with MCR, I still have only two language in my ROM (English and Franch) and I have to use MoreLocale2?

It depends on your SIM card.

Guest afiorillo
Oh no Angelo, with the same SIM on my nexus one I had Italian language. It can't be.

So, it depends upon your SIM card and your phone/ROM: many people here had different languages shown given the same phone and the same ROM flashed in. :)

Guest sun-drop

guys now the trail period has expried...how exactly do a remove wavesecure? i have another app that i've brought for sim tracking and would rather use that ..it's cheaper ..

Guest FrancisFuku
Yeah, I did it with A2SD+, do you think I should do it with just A2SD?

I also partitioned the card to Ext3 and no Swap, but just realised the A2SD isn't working anyway, so will have to resolve that when I get in from work.

You can still try with the standard A2SD, it works on mine and when I do the command "ls -l /data" on a terminal, I do see thoses lines :

app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

app -> /system/sd/app

which means that A2SD is working.

Guest Rich Cranney
guys now the trail period has expried...how exactly do a remove wavesecure? i have another app that i've brought for sim tracking and would rather use that ..it's cheaper ..

As its flashed in for security, you would need to reflash I think. You will have to pick a rom that does not have it in and flash that.

Guest Rich Cranney
You can still try with the standard A2SD, it works on mine and when I do the command "ls -l /data" on a terminal, I do see thoses lines :

app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

app -> /system/sd/app

which means that A2SD is working.

Are you using a terminal on linux or terminal on the phone?

When I do that command in Terminal on the phone I get Permission Denied :)

Guest Lisai_dk

Anyone else having problems with the kitchen.

I made one first with A2SD+ first with r3 kitchen but it simply looped for me, went back to Evil-desire rom again to make one without A2SD+ and it's been like 4 hours since i tryed to make a new rom.

Guest FrancisFuku

I removed it manually, and so far, I've had no problem. To do so :

1/ Reboot your phone in recovery mode (just run step2 of the rooting procedure)

2/ Make sure you have the Android SDK on your compture, then open a terminal on your computer, and navigate to the "tools" directory of the Android SDK zip file (after you extracted it, of course)

3/ Run these commands :

adb shell
then
mount /system
ls /system/app
At this moment, you should have a list of your apps. Search for com.ws.whatever (or something like this), there should be 2 files. And finally, it's time to remove these files :
rm /system/app/'the name of the file'
When you are done :
unmount /system

and reboot your phone. To be sure not to have any dead links in the menu, you can wipe your cache in the recovery menu.

That's what I did to remove Wavesecure, and it worked flawlessly.

Guest FrancisFuku
Are you using a terminal on linux or terminal on the phone?

When I do that command in Terminal on the phone I get Permission Denied :)

I did this on my phone, but make sure you're in root mode, by typing the "su" command before typing any other commands. You know you're in root mode when there is a # at the beginning of every line, instead of a $.

@Lisai_dk : yes, I've had problem with the kitchen since this morning too...

Edited by FrancisFuku