27/May r3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.1 / Eclair)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kingqueen

Baking a Custom ROM with Working QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 and WiFi Status Indicator

Straightforward method - no need for any shell access etc. - just use a web browser...

1. Download Quick Office Fix (mediafire, 2Mb) (also attached to this post)
  2. Bake a Custom ROM without QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 or Wifi Status Indicator - but with the Quick Office Fix you downloaded as a "custom ingredient"
  3. Flash it as normal - QuickOffice etc. now works.

All we are doing here is installing the three applications (QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 and Wifi Status Indicator) to the System partition, as opposed to the Data partition. The ROM baker by default puts the apps in the Data directory, where they don't work; the custom Zip above puts the apps in the System directory, where they do.

Thanks

quickofficefix.zip

Guest Time Sheep
yes

Cool, but I did a nandroid backup and tried anyway.

It doesn't really work. I baked one with a little bit of this and that, half of the system is forceclosing on boot :/

Guest plopingo

I have a few question with the online online kitchen

SIM Toolkit : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

Sense/Rosie application. "When removed, it is replaced by the standard Launcher." Ok but What are the application contained in rosie app package ? Sens is a synonym for sens luncher ?

Stocks : "This option includes the Stocks application and associated Widget." stocks app include in htc sens ?

Jbed Java : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

JIT : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

ty

Guest Wovchik

Hi Every one,

(sorry for my bad english) :lol:

At First nice Work this Custom Rom is very Stable.

i Have some questions:

1. After i rooted and flashed this rom i noticed that when i try to install any apps from the market it takes some minutes until the download begins. any one know what is the reason?

2. where is the diference between app2sd and app2sd+? I couldn´t find any information about difference.

3.Is it right that some apps are still on the internal Memory? Apps like Google Earth althoug i have an 1 GB ext3 so it is enough place. Or is it not working beacuse i Installed it over an APK from the SDcard because i couldn´t find some apps on the market.

@Plopingo JIT is Just in Time compiler which increase the speed of executing apps but i read that the apps must suport this feature (it will be implemented with 2.2 better say it is)

Jbed JAVA is the JAVA virtual mashine for the normal JAVA, it is different from the Dalvic Java wich is used on Android. (that ist what i found in the internet maybe some one knows better)

Edited by Wovchik

Sense / Rosie installed to /system partition

* This option includes the Sense / Rosie application. When removed, it is replaced by the standard Launcher.

Having tried r3.1 without Sense, I can attest that the above statement is false; I got a ROM with no launcher at all :lol:

Guest KingDan
Baking a Custom ROM with Working QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 and WiFi Status Indicator

Straightforward method - no need for any shell access etc. - just use a web browser...

1. Download Quick Office Fix (mediafire, 2Mb) (also attached to this post)
  2. Bake a Custom ROM without QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 or Wifi Status Indicator - but with the Quick Office Fix you downloaded as a "custom ingredient"
  3. Flash it as normal - QuickOffice etc. now works.
All we are doing here is installing the three applications (QuickOffice, Amazon MP3 and Wifi Status Indicator) to the System partition, as opposed to the Data partition. The ROM baker by default puts the apps in the Data directory, where they don't work; the custom Zip above puts the apps in the System directory, where they do.

Thanks

What about Maps? I didn't even realise that Maps was missing until some one was sharing their location with me.

Why have those options in the kitchen and they aren't applied?

I didn't include Stocks but I bet if I left it checked, it probably wouldn't be installed.

Guest kingqueen
What about Maps? I didn't even realise that Maps was missing until some one was sharing their location with me.

Why have those options in the kitchen and they aren't applied?

I didn't include Stocks but I bet if I left it checked, it probably wouldn't be installed.

As all the worst tech support people say, "It works fine on my device" :D Google Maps has been in all the ROMs I've baked, including one yesterday, and worked fine - other than the fact it's an out of date version which the Market then updated for me without a problem. And the one time I've left the Stocks application in the bake, it appeared...

I wonder if the Maps issue is operator or country specific? My generic Desire on O2 in the UK has Google Maps without an issue

btw just in case it's not immeditely apparent, I'm not anything to do with development or support for this most excellent of creations of Paul's, just a happy user (with the exception of the odd minor issue) :lol:

doug

Edited by kingqueen

Guest KingDan
As all the worst tech support people say, "It works fine on my device" :D Google Maps has been in all the ROMs I've baked, including one yesterday, and worked fine - other than the fact it's an out of date version which the Market then updated for me without a problem. And the one time I've left the Stocks application in the bake, it appeared...

I wonder if the Maps issue is operator or country specific? My generic Desire on O2 in the UK has Google Maps without an issue

btw just in case it's not immeditely apparent, I'm not anything to do with development or support for this most excellent of creations of Paul's, just a happy user (with the exception of the odd minor issue) :lol:

doug

I'd try downloading it from a UK region and see.

I'd also try to leave Stocks installed.

My handset was originally from Taiwan and was bought from ebay. (I had no idea it was from Taiwan)

but I doubt it's the region thing unless you mean from the time you land on the site and click download.

Google Maps WAS on my device, but it just wasn't there when I checked recently.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the A2SD+ feature...

I just need to get OpenVPN working on my handset and still try to fix the QuickOffice without losing my settings, etc.

*Ah, I see where the missing apps are, there are in the /data/app folder rather than the /system/app folder... so maybe the quickoffice fix theory mentioned earlier

could help with this...*

**Well, Maps is installed, but I can't update.

I think that might be a region thing or my market needs updating.

Quick Office and some wifi status .apk doesn't install though

I didn't even realise my tethering was missing, that installed fine.**

Edited by KingDan

Guest rajatseth

hi paul

i have a desire - in india where it hasn't released, my handset came from uk. when i switch i my handset normally i get a white screen with green coloured HTC (only) foolowed by a black screen with t mobile

when i power on the handset holding down the vol down i get the following

BRAVO UNKOWN SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.75.0000

MICROP-031d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101

RADIO-4.05.00.11

Mar 5 2010, 21:12:15

when i go to recovery in hboot, it goes to "red exclamation mark in a triangle" then holding the volume up and pressing on the power button i get

Android system recovery <2e> - also the following 4 options are available

Reboot system

apply sdcard:update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

e: can't open /cache/recovery/command

my questions are :

1. is my handset rooted or do i have to root it, if i have to root it what is the safest method you suggest

2. can i update my rom from 1.15.110.11 to 1.21.720.4 from the following link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667

thanks in advance paul, sorry for the nobe questions

Guest djoni

Just installed r3.1, restored everything and Google Earth disappeared, I can't find it on Market either :lol: just like before 1.21 update. Any help guys?

edit: found answer on page 78... :D

Google Earth not working, it says: Can write to data directory, maybe run out of disk space.

Any workaround?

Edited by djoni

Guest EricGolan
I generated a ROM using the kitchen today and the result had the name r3-bravo-desire-modacocustomrom-signed-MD5-78864dfeaa1367d95b72d9af62f14d3f.zip .

Should not the result file start with r3.1 or r3_1 ? I am afraid that the kitchen is still using r3.

Thanks

same question :lol: shouldnt it start with r3.1 ?

thanks in advanced

Guest chaosmarine
same question :lol: shouldnt it start with r3.1 ?

thanks in advanced

Same here! Anyone can help?

Well i helped by myself.Installed and results 3.1.

Edited by chaosmarine

Guest Time Sheep
I have a few question with the online online kitchen

SIM Toolkit : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

Sense/Rosie application. "When removed, it is replaced by the standard Launcher." Ok but What are the application contained in rosie app package ? Sens is a synonym for sens luncher ?

Stocks : "This option includes the Stocks application and associated Widget." stocks app include in htc sens ?

Jbed Java : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

JIT : what's that ? Google don"t find anything about that

ty

Sense is Sense UI is Sense Launcher. It's the same

Stocks is for shares etc. comes with a phone running Sense, but you won't get it by choosing sense here.

Jbed Jaba. Hmm, I think it's some sort of runtime environment.

JIT is some sort of tables. The short story is that it speeds up the phones, but right now there is a little chance of a crash. Not noticably big though.

Guest frankkubiak
Unfortunately, gtalk is an essential app, like it or not :lol:

Wherefor is it needed (if no chat is done)?

Is it possible to blocked GTalk to talk to the outside (iptables)? Or will this also stop essential other parts to work?

Frank

Guest CallMeLaNN

Hi,

This ROM is for Android 2.1 since it use the base 1.21 ROM.

How about the new Android 2.2 Froyo?

How can I use your ROM with Froyo?

Guest effbiai

As I can see.. The WaveSecure is installed to /system

Tho.. Since it's become a paid service, I don't want it anymore.

So..

How can i remove WaveSecure from the phone after it's installed from this ROM?

Guest steetiehj

hi, newbie here!!!!

I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions carefully but when I go to update my new rom (r3.1 ROM with default MoDaCo additions and A2SD) I get the following error when selecting "Apply sdcard:update.zip"

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

any ideas? Every I've followed up until this point has worked as shown on here

EDIT: still getting this error...

EDIT EDIT: used the fake-flash tool and it seems to have worked...

Edited by steetiehj

Guest Time Sheep

Yeah, Froyo is still WIP and is missing a few things for the Desire. Since today it had no camcorder and it still doesn't have Sense UI, Model number says Nexus One.

Guest MaTiCeK

Does anybody have any experience with editing the default.prop? I'm still kind of an Android Noob, so I'd need some help... But let me share my "findings" on my quest for better audio quality in captured videos and a steady framerate of 25.

Here is the juicy part of the default.prop I'd like to edit:

ro.media.enc.hprof.file.format=mp4

ro.media.enc.hprof.codec.vid=m4v

ro.media.enc.hprof.codec.aud=amrnb

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.width=1280

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.height=720

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.fps=30

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=10000000

ro.media.enc.hprof.aud.bps=12200

ro.media.enc.hprof.aud.hz=8000

ro.media.enc.hprof.aud.ch=1

ro.media.enc.hprof.duration=60

ro.media.enc.mprof.file.format=mp4

ro.media.enc.mprof.codec.vid=m4v

ro.media.enc.mprof.codec.aud=amrnb

ro.media.enc.mprof.vid.width=720

ro.media.enc.mprof.vid.height=480

ro.media.enc.mprof.vid.fps=30

ro.media.enc.mprof.vid.bps=60000000

ro.media.enc.mprof.aud.bps=12200

ro.media.enc.mprof.aud.hz=8000

ro.media.enc.mprof.aud.ch=1

ro.media.enc.mprof.duration=60

ro.media.enc.lprof.file.format=3gp

ro.media.enc.lprof.codec.vid=m4v

ro.media.enc.lprof.codec.aud=amrnb

ro.media.enc.lprof.vid.width=176

ro.media.enc.lprof.vid.height=144

ro.media.enc.lprof.vid.fps=15

ro.media.enc.lprof.vid.bps=256000

ro.media.enc.lprof.aud.bps=12200

ro.media.enc.lprof.aud.hz=8000

ro.media.enc.lprof.aud.ch=1

ro.media.enc.lprof.duration=30

ro.media.enc.file.format=3gp,mp4

ro.media.enc.vid.codec=m4v,h264

ro.media.enc.aud.codec=amrnb

ro.media.enc.vid.h264.width=176,1280

ro.media.enc.vid.h264.height=144,720

ro.media.enc.vid.h264.bps=64000,10000000

ro.media.enc.vid.h264.fps=1,60

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.width=176,1280

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.height=144,720

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps=64000,20000000

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps=1,60

ro.media.enc.aud.amrnb.bps=5525,12200

ro.media.enc.aud.amrnb.hz=8000,8000

ro.media.enc.aud.amrnb.ch=1,1

ro.media.cam.preview.fps=0

ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=20000000

ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=90,80,70

media.a1026.nsForVoiceRec=0

media.a1026.enableA1026=1

In particular, I was wondering if it's possible to change the following strings:

For audio

ro.media.enc.mprof.codec.aud=amrnb - -> ro.media.enc.mprof.codec.aud=aac

ro.media.enc.mprof.aud.bps=12200 - -> ro.media.enc.mprof.aud.bps=128

ro.media.enc.lprof.aud.hz=8000 - -> ro.media.enc.lprof.aud.hz=44100

ro.media.enc.aud.amrnb.bps=5525,12200 - -> ro.media.enc.aud.aac.bps=96,256

ro.media.enc.aud.amrnb.hz=8000,8000 - -> ro.media.enc.aud.aac.hz=8000,44100

For video

ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps=1,60 - -> 30,60

ro.media.enc.vid.h264.fps=1,60 - -> 30,60

Edited by MaTiCeK