15/May r6.1 - BigBearMDC and Paul's Pulse 2.1 ROM

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Stevos
Paul if vibrating isn't possible would it be possible to make the phone play a very low frequency bass sound that makes the phone shake.

This is an amusingly ingenious idea, but I suspect totally impractical.

The problem with the lack of vibration sounds like a missing/wrong driver or support in some sense. Writing an app to play a low frequency sound and then somehow hooking it into where a low level driver should be in the kernel seems like a lot of work when the official ROM might be released in a few days or so.

The obvious solution at the moment if you *need* vibration is to use one of the 1.5 ROMs which support it properly, and/or to wait for a complete release from Huawei or T-Mobile with driver support for the vibrator.

Guest Epohax

Would it be too much to ask someone to upload the contacts.apk from the r4 or r6 release? I still have r5, and internet access here is slow/restricted. I will then install it directly on my phone, without ADB.

edit: Actually, nevermind. I believed that r5 was working properly, but I just had to kill the phone because of a plethora of force close messages. I'll upgrade to r6 and wait with all others :-)

Edited by Epohax

Guest Neron
I simply wiped and installed the R6 without A2SD and it works great :)

But I wonder why the phone's language is Hungarian from the beginning ;) It's strange.

Confirmed i have also only been able to get the non a2sd version working!

Guest feelmychi
Wondering if anyone has a fix for the random restarts, its extremely anoying...

I'll second that; I'm getting them every 15 - 25 minutes, with no installed apps, only using two of the screens on the canvas, and having literally anything that I don't need that could possibly use any memory either removed or turned off... Basically destroying the point of going to 2.1 XD

feelmychi

Guest HyDeNoW

I just wanted to say thanks to Bobo and PAul for this realeas, wonderfull work.

I have been having the same problems with r6 version. If i use AP2SD+ then as soon as i reboot the phone I loose my apps + the walpaper and the market app. I am wondering though if this has to do with the fact that unlike version 1.7 I was running I have noticed that 2.1 dose not seem to mount the sdcard until after it reaches the pattern lock page. I keep getting a prepering sd card notification. I was wondering if android is trying to load the list of apps before the sd card is mounted.

I also have the problem with the lack of vibration.

I am runnning the r6 version without aps to sd and appart from sometimes loosing the wallpaper when it reboots and the lack of vibrations it seems to be working fine.

Guest Tom G
DarkBytePH, you probably partitioned wrong. FAT32 first, EXT2 second.

P

Paul,

Replacing the line

busybox mount -o noatime,nodiratime -t auto /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd;
with
busybox mount -o noatime,nodiratime -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd;

in /system/etc/init.d/40a2sd should fix the ext3 problems.

I still haven't had a chance to install the new rom on my phone, so haven't tested this on a really device.

Guest D4V3

Thanks, I tried them for a day (both v4 and v6) and now i switched back to 1.8beta (1.5).

The problems I have with this version are (in order of annoyance):

- Random reboots, sometimes every 5 minutes while in my pocket

- Programs that give the "Wait/Close" dialog all the time

- No vibrition

- Camera problems (quality and no autofocus in Goggles)

Very nice preview though, can't wait for the final release by Huawei/T-Mobile.

Guest le_lutin
Thanks, I tried them for a day (both v4 and v6) and now i switched back to 1.8beta (1.5).

The problems I have with this version are (in order of annoyance):

- Random reboots, sometimes every 5 minutes while in my pocket

- Programs that give the "Wait/Close" dialog all the time

- No vibrition

- Camera problems (quality and no autofocus in Goggles)

Very nice preview though, can't wait for the final release by Huawei/T-Mobile.

That's weird that you were having camera quality issues. For me, the camera is fantastic in r4, and I am pretty sure goggles is autofocussing too.

Guest alpha232

After refreshing the forums so much and flashing till the pulse bleeds i'm going back to MCR1.8.

Too many issues on this, most important of which are the reboots/crashes that happen constantly for me. Using 2.1 without APPS2SD is going to be annoying having virtually no space to install anything as well ;)

Still, I appreciate ALL the work that has gotten into this and I do look forward to using it when the kinks have been ironed out :)

Guest Simon Brown

Just thought I'd throw my thanks into the pot. Currently running r6 without A2SD and it feels much nicer than earlier releases to me with a nice amount of free memory, even without A2SD.

I'll see how it fares during the day whilst at work :)

I also couldn't get r6 with A2SD+ booting (I also couldn't get r5 with A2SD+ booting either, but that's to be expected as they are the same except for replacing the missing contacts app ;))

I tried wiping and partitioning in nearly every combination I could think of but no cigar. (I did have A2SD working in earlier releases though...)

With all your tinkering so far it seems much more stable (compared to r1, r2 and r4 anyway, I missed r3 :D), so far only suffering F/C's on startup then nada... so far at least.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort BigBearMDC and Paul, it's appreciated.

P.S. for all those actually complaining (and not just being useful and informative :(), you know this is a beta release, it says so in the first post so you should KNOW what you are getting into when you flash it. Beta = potentially unstable with the unerring ability to explode devices at 1000 yards. If you aren't prepared for that, stay with a stable release until the final 2.1 ROM hits, I'm sure Paul and Co will gut that too when the time comes.

Guest flip360

+1 :)

also the screen seems much more responsive (like when lying on a table), really looking forward the official 2.1 ROM ;)

Edited by flip360

Guest biron_w

Damn me and my need for new things! After saying I was going to wait for the official rom i've put this one on.Just waiting for it to boot up.

Didn't bother with a2sd as i'm not gonna put much on til the official rom comes out.

Guest Josh04

Looks like the problem with r6 a2sd is that the folder /system/sd is missing. adb shell, "mkdir /system/sd" should fix it.

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hey guys I've just realized that a2sd isn't working for me now.

It was everything fine with r4, i've changed nothing in the sd, and now with r6 apps are installed on the phone, not on sd.

And yes, I've flashed the a2sd version.

Someone knows what should I do?

Guest eckengucker1
Hey guys I've just realized that a2sd isn't working for me now.

It was everything fine with r4, i've changed nothing in the sd, and now with r6 apps are installed on the phone, not on sd.

And yes, I've flashed the a2sd version.

Someone knows what should I do?

Wait till Paul releases a proper version. Maybe he'll fix the vp too, he said something in that direction...

Guest MarcusHenrique
Looks like the problem with r6 a2sd is that the folder /system/sd is missing. adb shell, "mkdir /system/sd" should fix it.

mkdir: can't create directory '/system/sd' : Read-only file system

What mount code should I input first?

Guest jonathonf
mkdir: can't create directory '/system/sd' : Read-only file system

What mount code should I input first?

# mount -o remount,rw /system

should do it.

When can you get into adb to do this? Do you have to boot with no SD card to begin with, or can you do this while it's at the android booting screen?

Edited by jonathonf

Guest jonathonf
"adb remount" works as well.
That would be easier. :)

(Just as a note in case it's useful, mount works from within android e.g. from a shell, so you can edit files like /etc/hosts without a connected PC).

Edited by jonathonf

Guest MarcusHenrique
# mount -o remount,rw /system

should do it.

When can you get into adb to do this? Do you have to boot with no SD card to begin with, or can you do this while it's at the android booting screen?

My r6 booted fine, i've removed the sd card just for the first boot.