Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest BigBearMDC
Hey. After porting the drivers to 2.6.32.9, I first put my new kernel to flb-1.0 (split boot image, mkbootimg with the new kernel). Somewhat later i edited META-INF/com/google/android/update-script to only update the boot image, because overwriting /system and /data everytime was pretty senceless.

Then i modified the /system/etc/init.d to write dmesg and so on to /data, as you may have read. With 'dumpsys' i came to the conclusion that even java stuff is starting but crashing at some point. I was unable to figure that out.

Then i built a tiny Android according to https://www.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/ . Actually it is the same as flb-1.0, just a boot ramdisk (and that ramdisk is exactly the same as for a full system). With Huaweis kernel this even starts adb. But never in my. So right now i am trying to get USB Function to work. I am thinking about opening the phone to get at least some serial debug. All i have right now is my init service dmesging (and others) to /data. But in this dmesg is no USB output...

Another problem i have is that the msm70xx code is damn unmaintained. Every second kernel configuration does not compile! So, USB could also be related to unmaintained code. And finally as Tom seems to have got Froyo running on Huaweis kernel very well, I´m getting somewhat... 'frustrated'...

Get mTTy and see if it spams something over the USB interface. It could send all the data but you won't see it as adb isn't working. Normally if ttyUSBCONSOLE is in the cmdline I think it should send the messages over USB.

Link to mTTy: Click me :(

Best regards,

BB

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest tantalus

Sorry for not being clear enough: Even lsusb gives me nothing. USB is just not activated. I even turned on USB debug on my PC.

Linux calls the feature being a USB host "USB Gadget". Google wrote its own code and called it "USB Function". However, it seems with Froyo they are supporting Gadget also, but i assume Function is still supported. USB Debug is another feature of Googles kernel. mtty is just connecting to this kernel-provided USB Endpoint. So, if you have a crashing kernel, and as long as USB is initialized, mtty is your way to get to the device. But my kernel is not crashing (at least not at initializing), so i could use adb. But USB does not run at all...

Seems there is no other way than getting serial output to work...

EDIT: But i'll give it a try. I can test it tomorrow when i have access to a Windows box.

Edited by tantalus

Guest gusthy

@tantalus:

Then you gonna start writing many kprintf's into usb driver source, to check if it even loads, init successful, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest screwface

We should just put some funds together for a new pulse and send it to cyanogen, he seems to be able to get 2.2 to run on almost anything.

Guest gusthy

good idea.

since I found my own hack to pulse 2.1 memory issue, my interest of running froyo lowered a bit, but if cyanogen could do it, it would be nice.

somebody to write a mail to him? (him? who knows if he or she :( )

Guest Tom G

I haven't had much time for this recently.

Sorry about not getting anything up yet. I've had it all ready to upload for a few days, but thought I should try to build it against the aosp code first. Building against the current source (from the froyo, android-2.2_r1 or android-2.2_r1.1 branches) I end up with an mReady loop. Using the source I cloned a month ago it works fine. Its very strange because there is very little difference between the android-2.2_r1 branch and the source that works (and nothing that looks like it could cause this problem).

Once I get it running properly on the current aosp source the device config stuff will be available at github.

For anyone that wants to see what I have working here is a rom. As usual flash with fastboot. It should have working ril, bluetooth and a few other things. Most of it hasn't been tested much so any feedback would be good. The big problem with it is no audio. Vibrate might work on phones with the 2.1 firmware. I will get stuck with an mReady loop the first time it boots, but should be fine after a reboot.

Guest Simon O

Cyanogen team won't port the ROM to our device until we have vendor support files for Android 2.1 at least and kernel source for the Android 2.1 kernel for the Pulse.

They mostly work with HTC devices as the source and kernel source is easily available. Cyanogen isn't a file hacker, he compiles from AOSP with a lot of changes. As we can't even compile ourselves due to missing vendor information there is no chance of having a port of Cyanogenmod for our phone.

Guest hungary

Sorry about not getting anything up yet. I've had it all ready to upload for a few days, but thought I should try to build it against the aosp code first. Building against the current source (from the froyo, android-2.2_r1 or android-2.2_r1.1 branches) I end up with an mReady loop. Using the source I cloned a month ago it works fine. Its very strange because there is very little difference between the android-2.2_r1 branch and the source that works (and nothing that looks like it could cause this problem).

Once I get it running properly on the current aosp source the device config stuff will be available at github.

For anyone that wants to see what I have working here is a rom. As usual flash with fastboot. It should have working ril, bluetooth and a few other things. Most of it hasn't been tested much so any feedback would be good. The big problem with it is no audio. Vibrate might work on phones with the 2.1 firmware. I will get stuck with an mReady loop the first time it boots, but should be fine after a reboot.

Anyone try the rom? Its safe to flash it? I can go back for 2.1 after flashing it? Thanks!

Guest Tom G
Anyone try the rom? Its safe to flash it? I can go back for 2.1 after flashing it? Thanks!

Its safe to flash, just make a nandroid backup first. When you want to go back restore the backup and everything will be back to normal.

i just flashed it. seems quite nice and smooth but some things like wifi,camera, sound are not working. hope you can resolve these issues as this WILL become a great ROM!! :( (going back to 2.1 for the time being)

Guest tomjo7
i just flashed it. seems quite nice and smooth but some things like wifi,camera, sound are not working. hope you can resolve these issues as this WILL become a great ROM!! :( (going back to 2.1 for the time being)

Well, from what I can see... We're getting closer!

Going to have a look at this myself now, just downloading at a reasonable pace :(

Edited by tomjo7

Guest screwface
Cyanogen team won't port the ROM to our device until we have vendor support files for Android 2.1 at least and kernel source for the Android 2.1 kernel for the Pulse.

They mostly work with HTC devices as the source and kernel source is easily available. Cyanogen isn't a file hacker, he compiles from AOSP with a lot of changes. As we can't even compile ourselves due to missing vendor information there is no chance of having a port of Cyanogenmod for our phone.

how'd they get cm6 running on that $150 tablet then?

I'm pretty sure they don't have anything like source, kernel, drivers etc.

Guest Tom G
im using clockwork recovery and i cant install it... i dont know why...

If you mean the rom I posted, its because its not an ota update. It is images in a zip. Extract the images and flash with fastboot.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

fastboot flash system system.img

Guest dodge-167
If you mean the rom I posted, its because its not an ota update. It is images in a zip. Extract the images and flash with fastboot.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

fastboot flash system system.img

how? :(

Guest hungary

I flashed the 2.2 (0.20) rom:

Its very nice! Great work Tom G!

Working:

Vibrate

2G Network

USB

Apps

Brightness

GPS

Widgets

Browser

SD Card

Broken:

Rotate

Camera

LEDs

3G

Audio

Wi-Fi

Live Wallpaper

54.21 MB free internal storage available!

Edit:

Phone calls working, but the other dont hear anything (because the microphone dont work).

SMS works like charm smile.gif No more sms-issue, like 2.1 T-Mobile Rom.

Its faster after 1 hour running (i think system odexing or caching something) Scrolling much faster, than original 2.1 Rom. (but not faster than LauncherPro)

Ram Usage:

Avail: 12MB+0.00B in 12

Other: 21MB in 3

Edit2:

SD Card Fixed (Unmount and format with phone)

Edited by hungary

Guest Simon O
how'd they get cm6 running on that $150 tablet then?

I'm pretty sure they don't have anything like source, kernel, drivers etc.

No idea

Guest Epic-Emodude

Working:

Vibrate

2G Network

USB

Apps

Brightness

GPS

Widgets

Browser

Broken:

SD card

Rotate

Camera

LEDs

3G

Audio

Wi-Fi

Live Wallpaper

what about sms and phone calls?

And is it noteably faster than 2.1 ¿

Guest Nirva

Working:

Vibrate

2G Network

USB

Apps

Brightness

GPS

Widgets

Browser

Broken:

SD card

Rotate

Camera

LEDs

3G

Audio

Wi-Fi

Live Wallpaper

How about the RAM usage ?

Guest hungary
what about sms and phone calls?

And is it noteably faster than 2.1 ¿

Phone calls working, but the other dont hear anything (because the microphone dont work).

SMS works like charm :( No more sms-issue, like 2.1 T-Mobile Rom.

Its faster after 1 hour running (i think system odexing or caching something) Scrolling much faster, than original 2.1 Rom. (but not faster than LauncherPro)

(Sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand my words)